LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 5/10 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Given the context of his career, individual and team expectations, injuries, and the circumstances surrounding his return (the playoffs, inconsistent minutes, coming back from injury, a young player, etc.), I think everyone is being way too harsh on him.

We're impatient as fans, but until he starts getting consistent minutes, he'll never return to from. Yes, the minutes have to come first and you give him those minutes simply because you know the player he can be when he's found his rhythm. Unfortunately, that strategy is too risky for the playoffs and thus, unless he suddenly gets out of his funk due to shear luck, it's probably not gonna happen in these playoffs.

Agree with most of this but the issue with minutes is that he is getting into FT very quick and often when he's out there leads or the game's momentum switches. That is why Phil isn't leaving him out there as long.

I will still believe in Drew's upside even if this is all he shows this year. People forget but alot of young players who wind up having great or all-star careers have horrendous 1st playoff showings. This is Bynum's 1st real playoffs and that too coming off 32 games missed. I can live with this, although it couldn't come at a worse time.

Good way to look at things - We're probably going to advance and be back in the Finals, despite Drew being a non-factor. Imagine if next season we can actually get him to be a factor. Then the gap widens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject:

He hasn't fouled out a game yet though. At this point, since he's not getting the minutes to foul out anyway, I say who cares about foul trouble?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
He hasn't fouled out a game yet though. At this point, since he's not getting the minutes to foul out anyway, I say who cares about foul trouble?

I think the point is to not have the opposition have a FT parade towards the last part of the Q. Especially knowing that Sasha's going to put you in the penalty without any help from Drew at all.

Agree the minutes will help calm the nerves and rhythm. Especially minutes with Kobe ... Kobe's the best guy for Drew because he knows how to deliver him the ball.

But the point I think I agree with those really down on Drew. Drew needs to adapt to his team, not the other way around. That is why I say he needs to mature. He still doesn't know how to succeed in a team enviroment because he never went to college or played at a high level in HS. Drew can not always be the focus ... especially on a team like this. We all know (well most of us that are sane) that he has tools to become a dominant player. However, right now we need bonafide role player throwing his body around. Drew won't do that. I'm sure he has his reasons, its just not the team first thing to do. Which is why I go back to the whole learning to play within a team concept thing. Alot of these HS players take longer to learn this stuff.

Its easy for him to play great with high minutes and lots of opportunities. Thing is, right now we need those 15 mpg of 2-way high energy ball, and we're not getting it. I feel for Drew though, he is just not right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Wolf and LS I hope I didn't come off as calling him a player that only wants money. At this point he has the money guaranteed no matter what. What I meant is he has never had to really motivate himself about anything else in basketball. At this point he the game needs to be more about his teammates than himself because he isn't 100% mentally or physically and he will not be able to dominate on both ends most likely. He needs to look at what is can do for them. What they need is a guy who attacks the boards and closes down the paint. I know the refs keep calling him for all the ticky-tack stuff on the pick and rolls and he is frustrated, but he can't do anything about that.

I saw a few plays today that told me the young man isn't focus and properly motivated.

The first was in his first stint. He did a great job being a presence in the paint on defense; the shot was off and went high. Only he and LO were there and he just watched the ball. He made no attempt to go get it and had no desire to own the boards. Instead LO went up and grabbed it out of the air.

The second was in the second half. He was coming back on offense and his man was trailing him by 7 feet or so. A few weeks ago he would have sprinted to the post, got position and dunked it. That isn't in his mind which means he isn't right.

Earlier in the game Luke was turning the ball over like a hot potato. One of those TO's came when he threw the ball to Bynum who was playing with his hands down while fighting for position. It was a bad pass, but one Luke made because he's used to Bynum wanting the ball no matter what and keeping his hands up and ready.

Bynum may be hurting. He may not be fully recovered from his knee injury. He may even have reinjured himself. Still the most devastating part of his game to the Lakers is his mentality right now. As of now he is lost on the court and has no desire to dominate. They should sit him then. Nothing against him, but Mbenga is ready and willing to play and at this time of the year, that can matter more than Bynum being a better talent.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I think the point is to not have the opposition have a FT parade towards the last part of the Q. Especially knowing that Sasha's going to put you in the penalty without any help from Drew at all.

Agree the minutes will help calm the nerves and rhythm. Especially minutes with Kobe ... Kobe's the best guy for Drew because he knows how to deliver him the ball.

But the point I think I agree with those really down on Drew. Drew needs to adapt to his team, not the other way around. That is why I say he needs to mature. He still doesn't know how to succeed in a team enviroment because he never went to college or played at a high level in HS. Drew can not always be the focus ... especially on a team like this. We all know (well most of us that are sane) that he has tools to become a dominant player. However, right now we need bonafide role player throwing his body around. Drew won't do that. I'm sure he has his reasons, its just not the team first thing to do. Which is why I go back to the whole learning to play within a team concept thing. Alot of these HS players take longer to learn this stuff.

Its easy for him to play great with high minutes and lots of opportunities. Thing is, right now we need those 15 mpg of 2-way high energy ball, and we're not getting it. I feel for Drew though, he is just not right.

He looks like a (psychologically) broken player. He didn't start these play-offs that badly. I thought the downturn started with that game against Utah (game 3?) where the refs just took him out of it seemingly within minutes with phantom calls. Then he got demoted. He's been a shell of himself ever since.

SGH
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject:

I agree with SGH.... and wolf, I agree that Bynum needs to work himself in if only because that's the only way he actually gets minutes. However, even though he's being asked to do that, I don't think its fair to expect him to succeed at it. It's just an unfair situation for him in my opinion (somewhat echoing SGH's sentiments again).

BTW, this may be the only thread I feel safe posting in for now if anyone wants to join me in here over the next two days.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
I just viewed the first qrtr again, which the lakers lost by 13 points. Kobe gave up 12 first quarter points (1 of them a tech FT) to Battier himself by basically playing zero defense. It was embarrassing. If he plays regular "play-off" intensity D against a guy like Battier, I doubt Battier even gets a shot off. What's Kobe excuse? Helping out against Yao inside? Hmm. No, because Yao was in streetclothes. There was no excuse.

What’s worse, he seemed to think it was okay so long as he made up for it on the offensive end. This is apparent by his cocky strut after hitting a difficult shot. This has become emblematic of the Lakers, especially guys like Farmar and Fish (who got similarly lit up by Brooks): "It's okay, you don’t need to buckle down on D –- just keep shooting, and embarrass them on the other end."

Kobe also began (bleep) to the refs long before that technical –- he started yapping within the first two or three minutes. Enough, already.

The backcourt was hugely responsible for the hole this team fell into. And the faults were largely on defense. What’s surprising is that it’s the two most veteran Lakers doing the greatest damage to their own team. Fisher you can excuse, somewhat, because even in his prime he was overmatched by most PGs. Now, on the down side of his career, he’s become cringe-worthy. But Kobe? There is no excuse. He sets the tone for this team, and the tone he set today was, “Defense? Me?”

That’s all that needs be said.

[i]Kobe is turning into a huuuuge disappointment, and that's coming from a long-time Kobe jocker[/i].

A huge disappointment.

SGH

Amen, sister. I can't remember ever being this disappointed in Kobe. And I've always backed the guy. He set the tone for these clowns, and his complete lack of respect for the guy he's supposed to defend (and/or laziness) has become downright embarrassing. Just because he was able to get away with this against Utah and Brewer doesn't make it right. Is there another superstar in the league who gets away with this? Bad defense is one thing, and many a superstar are guilty of this, but refusing to even nominally defend your guy...what is that?

As for Fisher...what can I say? Another disappointment.
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I think "9 Rings" mind games have destroyed Andrew's confidence and that's not a good thing because I don't see us winning a ring with Pau as our defensive anchor
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject:

An absolute embarassment today. No one, from the players to the coaches, seemed prepared at all. Gotta look at the vets leading the team - Kobe, Fish & Phil. They had the arrogant attitude that the Rockets were going to crumple in the fetal position after the Yao news. They should know better since this team, without Yao, had a double digit win streak last year, including one over this Lakers team. They had to know that the Rockets, regardless of Yao, were going to play despirate ball. In the past, Phil would've labelled this an "at death's door" game. Yet they didn't prepare and played like it was a given. Now they are in a battle, and a minimum of 6 games.

Embarrassing. Reminded me of Finals Game 6. I really hate to be reminded of that game.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject:

I'd be very curious to know what Kareem is telling Andrew these days to help him get his mojo back.

I do think that running a few plays for Andrew early, forcing him to get post position deep by design, and executing properly could help somewhat to get him energized and keep him involved. Some guys are like that. When Andrew plays well offensively, his defense tends to follow suit. When he's passive, or ignored, his interest-level plummets. Hey, it happened with Shaq as well.

What I often see from the team, however, is what happened today. The first shot taken was a 3-pointer by a perimeter player (Kobe, IIRC) with no rhyme or reason to it. (In fact, were there any post plays in the first quarter?)

Get your bigs off to a good start. That should be the first thing. The outside game should complement the inside advantage. This team has it backwards.

If it feels like I'm reaching I probably am.

SGH
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
An absolute embarassment today. No one, from the players to the coaches, seemed prepared at all. Gotta look at the vets leading the team - Kobe, Fish & Phil. They had the arrogant attitude that the Rockets were going to crumple in the fetal position after the Yao news. They should know better since this team, without Yao, had a double digit win streak last year, including one over this Lakers team. They had to know that the Rockets, regardless of Yao, were going to play despirate ball. In the past, Phil would've labelled this an "at death's door" game. Yet they didn't prepare and played like it was a given. Now they are in a battle, and a minimum of 6 games.

Embarrassing. Reminded me of Finals Game 6. I really hate to be reminded of that game.

Well, there is a plus side to this. I only wish they had lost by 40.

They slink back to LA with their tails between their legs -- this is not the triumphant return of a conquerer. And for 2 days, they're going to have to listen to all the David-slaying-Goliath talk, the little team that could vs. the spineless Hollywood posers, etc.

But maybe I'm giving them too much credit. They've been doing this all season long. Maybe there are no lessons.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:

They weren't prepared Klone_dd. They didn't find out Yao was out until after they practiced. This team doesn't change schemes very well without practicing them first with all these youngins on it. The Rockets played a completely different style with the ball movement and the Lakers didn't play d properly. A lot of that was Kobe staying off Battier. Not that Battier did anything this series to demand Kobe playing him tight, but once he caught fire the whole team went with him.

I'm confident in the Lakers having a game plan in place to deal with these Rockets now and with the attitude of the coaches and players I feel they are confident in that also.

I just want them to win it all. They don't have to win every game and they don't have blow every team out or dominate to do it. I just want them to win the championship.

AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

He looks like a (psychologically) broken player. He didn't start these play-offs that badly. I thought the downturn started with that game against Utah (game 3?) where the refs just took him out of it seemingly within minutes with phantom calls. Then he got demoted. He's been a shell of himself ever since.
SGH

Couldn't have agreed more. Went from starting to 8th or 9th man in the rotation due to officiating and mind games.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject:

The only mind games effecting Andrew are those he's playing on himself. Lamar is the better player currently and has earned the starting position. Funny how Shannon Brown, Sasha and Farmar can come off the bench and exhibit effort and a desire to be effective, but Andrew isn't. This does not lie in Phil's lap. Stop making excuses for Andrew because he doesn't need them. He needs to stop feeling sorry for himself that the refs are officiating him terribly and start jumping for rebounds, rotating better on defense, sprinting down the court in transition and getting better position on the low block and catching the damn ball. Then he'll be on fire because the boy can play. Will he is the ?

pask
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject:

I use to watch games at Lakers games at 6AM, here we have a 9 hours difference. Today the game was at 21.30h, and I barely watched. It was shameful. No purpose, no intensity , no defense. The game was played like Houston wanted. And Phil didn´t try anything new. If Houston goes small, we must go big. It´ll seem weird, but why don´t try Kobe on Brooks, and then Ariza on Battier , Odom on Artest, and finally Pau and Andrew? That will kill them inside and outside...
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject:

pask wrote:
I use to watch games at Lakers games at 6AM, here we have a 9 hours difference. Today the game was at 21.30h, and I barely watched. It was shameful. No purpose, no intensity , no defense. The game was played like Houston wanted. And Phil didn´t try anything new. If Houston goes small, we must go big. It´ll seem weird, but why don´t try Kobe on Brooks, and then Ariza on Battier , Odom on Artest, and finally Pau and Andrew? That will kill them inside and outside...

I like that suggestion. Especially since the Rockets are minus a shot blocker and more Lakers will be included in the offense.

kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject:

wow, all that talent & versatility in our line-up & our coach still can't figure out the right combination & motivation to kill lesser teams..

thanks for the recap DB.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject:

I'd be very curious to know what Kareem is telling Andrew these days to help him get his mojo back.

I do think that running a few plays for Andrew early, forcing him to get post position deep by design, and executing properly could help somewhat to get him energized and keep him involved. Some guys are like that. When Andrew plays well offensively, his defense tends to follow suit. When he's passive, or ignored, his interest-level plummets. Hey, it happened with Shaq as well.

What I often see from the team, however, is what happened today. The first shot taken was a 3-pointer by a perimeter player (Kobe, IIRC) with no rhyme or reason to it. (In fact, were there any post plays in the first quarter?)

Get your bigs off to a good start. That should be the first thing. The outside game should complement the inside advantage. This team has it backwards.

If it feels like I'm reaching I probably am.

SGH
The reason is that Kobe is the #1 option. It'll always be him first, the bigs second as long as he's here. There's no way he's gonna take a backseat to a big again. Period. It's the reason we have our bigs (Lamar and sometimes Pau and even Andrew) hanging out around the three point line where they're at their most ineffective, because he wants the ball in the post. It's ridiculous.

I've enjoyed reading your posts, SGH. I feel the same way about most things. The saddest thing for me today was that my 12 year old daughter was watching the game with me, and about 5 minutes into the game when we were getting blitzed, my daughter asks me, how come their coach doesn't call a time out? I said, he wants them to play through it and figure it out for themselves, and she said, well, at least he could give them a pep talk or something. It was clear, even to a 12 year old, that they needed a time out. Depressing.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
2The4th
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject:

Key failure:

Odom - did his space cadet defensive imitation
Kobe - shooting too many jumpshot. Not sticking to his man.
Luke - doesn't belong in the league
Gasol - doesn't jump when contesting shots. Doesn't come out of the paint to D. Doesn't rotate.
Sasha - doesn't stay in front of his man.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject:

2The4th wrote:
Key failure:

Gasol - doesn't jump when contesting shots. Doesn't come out of the paint to D. Doesn't rotate.
I think you forgot someone: Fish. Or did he have no fault in what happened today?

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject:

Kobe set the tone by cheating off of Battier. He must realize that without Yao Shane is one of their scorers! Once he got going we were toast. Fisher should not have started. Jordan is a better matchup.
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject:

Kobe set the tone by cheating off of Battier. He must realize that without Yao Shane is one of their scorers! Once he got going we were toast. Fisher should not have started. Jordan is a better matchup.
ntnsnoopy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Given the context of his career, individual and team expectations, injuries, and the circumstances surrounding his return (the playoffs, inconsistent minutes, coming back from injury, a young player, etc.), I think everyone is being way too harsh on him.

We're impatient as fans, but until he starts getting consistent minutes, he'll never return to from. Yes, the minutes have to come first and you give him those minutes simply because you know the player he can be when he's found his rhythm. Unfortunately, that strategy is too risky for the playoffs and thus, unless he suddenly gets out of his funk due to shear luck, it's probably not gonna happen in these playoffs.

Agree with most of this but the issue with minutes is that he is getting into FT very quick and often when he's out there leads or the game's momentum switches. That is why Phil isn't leaving him out there as long.

I will still believe in Drew's upside even if this is all he shows this year. People forget but alot of young players who wind up having great or all-star careers have horrendous 1st playoff showings. This is Bynum's 1st real playoffs and that too coming off 32 games missed. I can live with this, although it couldn't come at a worse time.

Good way to look at things - We're probably going to advance and be back in the Finals, despite Drew being a non-factor. Imagine if next season we can actually get him to be a factor. Then the gap widens.

I just think it takes Bynum a long time to finally get in game shape and his timing. The last two years, it took until January for him to finally put up monster numbers only to get injured. So he needed October, November and December to get going.
ntnsnoopy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject:

2The4th wrote:
Key failure:

Any five Lakers on the court - need to hit the defensive glass. Watch the Rockets when they are on D...all five guys are in or close to the paint to secure the ball first. On O, they send at least 2 or 3 guys on the offensive glass.

Kobe also needs to stop playing rover on D. Stick to his man and help on rotations.

Agree - Luke needs to sit. What is his +/-?

I think this is a sign that D-Fish needs to relinquish the starting spot...D-Will took him to the whole last series and A-Brooks makes him look like he's standing still. Yes, Farmar and Brown lack experience but the team needs their athleticism and quickness.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject:

Hope we have a better showing next game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: