***LAKERS -at- ROCKETS 5/8 Game 3 Thread***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 113, 114, 115  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: If we don't have so many random Defensive lapses we will make quick work of Houston....

nokio wrote:
If we don't have so many random Defensive lapses we will make quick work of Houston, because this team looks awful offensively in the half court, until we bail them out. A large portion of the their scores come late in the shot clock. A part of this is them making tough shots too, they can't keep up that type of offensive production. Artest is 7-13 threes so far, I'd like to see how long that will continue. About 4 or 5 of them in the first two games have came with 1 or 2 seconds on the shot clock. They've had a lot of luck with that type of stuff so far.

If Fisher is suspended, Shannon and Farmar have done a better job keeping Brooks and Lowry in front of them, so that could somewhat slow down penetration and fouls/layups/dunks. Rebounding can be better too.

I'm probably in the minority of those who are feeling very confident going into Houston.

Agree. Sometimes, with these guys, I feel more confident that they'll be more focused on the road than at home.

I think we will come out with more energy from the get-go, and for once, our role players will start making some open shots (hopefully) once they start collapsing on KB/Pau.

LAL 101
HOU 96
TobiasBeecher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject:

I actually like the Lakers on the road better myself. There is nothing better than to hush a hostile crowd. Kobe is the master at doing that. I saw how Kenny Smith referred to Houston's players as "pitbulls"....well pitbulls can also get their owner in trouble if they aren't put on a leash. You aren't gonna find a more hostile crowd than Utah or Portland or Boston so Houston won't be all that intimidating.
MadeaGoesToMambaTown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Lakers For Life wrote:
We're winning the next 3 games. No way the Lakers let up. They know what it takes and they're gonna play hard full 48. No more letting teams back in the game crap.

Lakers 115

Rockets 103

lower score, we wont drop 115 on the road -.-
LakerTown
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject:

He would have been arrested for giving Scola the JUDO CHOP!
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject:

its going to be a tough game but lakers got this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ecchen1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: The dangerous Rockets and the keys to winning game 3

Lest we become overconfident b/c of our game 2 win, the Rockets are still a dangerous team for a number of reasons:

1. Two players command a double team - Yao and Artest. The Rockets are good at moving the ball when the double team comes and they have good shooters who will hit the open shot on the weakside (Battier, Brooks, and Luis Scola are all hitting open shots consistently). Ariza cannot guard Artest one-on-one and if Yao gets position in the post. it's all over.

2. Rockets bench - can someone tell me why the undersized Rockets bench forwards are destroying our team via Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes? Our bench and starter bigs have to match their level of energy. It's not like they have more talent, but they are definitely outhustling our big men on the boards and picking up the garbage.

3. Halfcourt defense - Whenever the tempo of the game slowed down, the Rockets go on a run. This was true for most of game 1 and true in the second quarter of game 2. The Rockets have done a good job of clogging the lane and making the Lakers take contested jump shots. Of course, it doesn't help that we're not hitting our open 3s and jump shots, but the point remains.

4. The Rockets are physical and never give up - even though the Lakers were red hot starting game 2, the Rockets did not lose their confidence and were not demoralized. The proceeded to control the temp in quarter 2 and tied the game at the half. This team is going to make the Lakers work for every rebound, every basket, and every position.

With that said, I still think the Lakers are the better team because of their superstar in Kobe Bryant, their talent - Pau Gasol's skills, Ariza's athleticism, Odom's versatility, and Fisher's veteran experience, and their ability to score in a variety of ways - Kobe... being Kobe, Pau's post play, Odom's drive to the basket, etc...

What the Lakers MUST do to win game 3:

1. Continue to push the tempo. The difference in game two is the points off TOs and fastbreaks. If the Lakers do not do this, they are going to have trouble winning on the road because it doesn't look like we're doing a good job getting stops against the Rockets in their halfcourt offense.

2. Do not get into the penalty earlier in the quarter. This slows down the tempo and allows the Rockets to in their halfcourt defensive set, which has been surprisingly effective against the Lakers. Moreover, the Rockets are good free throw shooting team, so giving them FTs is like giving up lay-ups.

3. Establish Pau in the post. Good things happen when we go to Pau inside. He's our highest percentage guy (even better than Kobe other than game 1) and going to him will probably mean that Yao will get into foul trouble.

4. Kobe needs to take good shots and create for his teammates. In game two, most of Kobe's shots were good looks - either in rhythm or off a screen/pick and roll situation. If he takes too many dribbles and takes too many shots with a high degree of difficulty, this does not bode well for the Lakers (game 1) Forced shots from Kobe should only come when the shot clock is winding down and not during the early offense. I'd like to see Kobe take it to the hole more often to create contact and fouls OR pass out to an open shooter when the defense collapses in the paint. The Lakers need to hit their open shots though!

Let's do it!

Last edited by ecchen1 on Thu May 07, 2009 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Two players command a double team - Yao and Artest. The Rockets are good at moving the ball when the double team comes and they have good shooters who will hit the open shot on the weakside (Battier, Brooks, and Luis Scola are all hitting open shots consistently). Ariza cannot guard Artest one-on-one and if Yao gets position in the post. it's all over.

Exactly.

We might consider running Lamar or Kobe at artest. Ariza is getting his ass handed to him.

Perfect music.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject:

Artest isn't double-worthy if the appropriate defender is on him. On a related note, a streaky shooter like him isn't likely to keep stroking it like he's the second coming of Larry Legend.
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject:

In before other Lakers "fans" throw terms like "hater" at you for actually thinking another team might be a threat... or question your "fanhood" because you don't automatically assume Lakers will win out the rest of the series
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject:

Is Mbenga even on the playoff roster?
ecchen1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject:

Artest keeps breaking down Ariza by either posting him up w/ his stronger body or driving to the lane. It's not his jump shooting that's the problem. I don't think he can keep this up unless he keeps getting wide open looks like he has.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject:

dna. wrote:
In before other Lakers "fans" throw terms like "hater" at you for actually thinking another team might be a threat... or question your "fanhood" because you don't automatically assume Lakers will win out the rest of the series

It's a good thing you got "in" before that happened to add your thoughts about the keys to game 3.

To the OP: Artest won't keep shooting this way from beyond the arc. Doubling him is not necessary, as long as there's a help defender when he gets into the post.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
Artest isn't double-worthy if the appropriate defender is on him. On a related note, a streaky shooter like him isn't likely to keep stroking it like he's the second coming of Larry Legend.

exactly. i fully expect ronron's shooting to cool off. i see him chucking away a game or two in this series
ecchen1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject:

Again, I agree that Ron will not continue shooting lights out from the perimeter, but if he's getting into the post and we have to double team, this creates problems since the Rockets are hitting 3s and open jump shots. Also, Artest is doing a good job penetrating and with his strong body he's able to create contact and cause fouls, which is another problem. But yes, let Ron ron keep shooting non-open shots from the perimeter and I'll be happy. He won't keep making those crazy contested three pointers (the bank in game 1 and there was a well contested one in game 2)
SQUAD UP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject:

Benga would foul out in like 6 minutes, with his style of play. I don't know why people think he'll do any better than Bynum.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject:

One thing the Lakers learned...FRONT YAO.

Yao is too slow and the Rockets guards/forwards are CLUELESS trying to get it into him. They start dribbling and playing 1-on-1 basketball.

Looking forward to this game, Lakers will play focused!
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject:

104-95

LA
SladeRider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject:

Team should of known fronting Yao was the most effective way to take him out of the game before game 1. The amount of times Houston fans were worried about it in the Portland series are huge.

I thought this game might be one that could go either way, if the Lakers take all the momentum they go from tonights game into game 3, they have a good chance.

If Artest keeps playing the way he has (if he's playing) then the Rockets would be favourites but if the Lakers keep up their intensity from tonight, they have enough to win this game.
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject:

Go to Kobe early and often...

Perfect music.
Bean24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject:

Hey Ron, does that 40 count as against you? Or is that just for Roy.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject:

kobesucks wrote:
Rockets will win.
Kobe and Fisher should be suspended.

Welcome rockets fan.. for a troll you sure wake up early, now get back to sleep..
Bryant-Bynum Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Is Game 3 going to be shown on KCAL9?

Does anybody know? It's an away game, but BSPN will be showing it, which usually means they take it and don't allow KCAL9 to show it.

Thanks.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is Game 3 going to be shown on KCAL9?

Bryant-Bynum Lakers wrote:
Does anybody know? It's an away game, but BSPN will be showing it, which usually means they take it and don't allow KCAL9 to show it.

Thanks.

No, only ESPN.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
no_more_mr_nice_guy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Does Kobe drop 50+ Friday night???

Seriously, dude is ready to kill. You could tell. I mean he is already the most intense and competitive mofo in the league. I got a feeling, this just takes it to another level.

You know he loved what Fish did. You know Fish will have to sit a game. You know Kobe will have his back.

This suckers building up to be his most dominant playoff performance ever. And I see the opposite of what everyone is saying game 3 will be. I don't see a brawl at all. I see the refs blowing the whistle for EVERYTHING to get the series under control. Which means, Kobe on a free throw parade!

So will it be 50? 60? Or more?
Kizerk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: KCAL 9 Covering Road Games?

I was wondering if KCAL was going to be covering the away games throughout the play offs? I don't have tnt or espn
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Page 2 of 115
Jump to: