LAKERS -at- KNICKS - 2/2 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject:

dna. wrote:
Thanks as always DB!

And NYLakerFan - your post was a great read, always love to read insight from those in attendance at our road games. Thank you!
+1. Thanks DB and NYLF!

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject:

NYLakerFan wrote:
Thanks DB ... as always yours is the first thing I look to read after every game.

Just a little contribution tonight ...

... a few observations from the Garden cheap seats ... my four sons and I made our annual pilgrimage to the Garden to see our Lakers play ... which now involves me buying EIGHT tickets since my two oldest now have significant others ;-(

The Garden was awash in GOLD tonight. In fact, after Knicks fans started exiting in the fourth, Gold was in the vast majority. Even after the game when we gathered outside the Garden in an effort to actually meet our favorites ... Laker fans seemed to be in the majority. The shivering crowd was shouting Kobe ... Kobe ... Kobe. And as each Laker made his appearance on the way to the team bus ... the crowd shouted. Luuuuuuuuuke. LAMAR!!!! Sun YUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEE!!!. It was amazing to see New Yorkers shouting for our Lakers.

Kobe was simply amazing. I swear there were times you could FEEL the 19,800 in attendance take a collective deep breath in as Kobe would begin one of his moves ... and then an incredible cheer when he scored. GOD! I love New York!!!! New Yorkers may be a tough sports crowd but ... they appreciate greatness when they see it better than any other city.

Lamar Odom in person is HUGE. I mean ... bigger than life ... shoulders as wide as a truck ... BIG.

On the flip side ... Pau is REALLY skinny. He looks more frail in person than he does on the screen. Damn that man need to work on his off-season conditioning. If he ever did ... WOW!

I heard a number of people saying how upset they were that they would not see Bynum.

Phil Jackson is also HUGE. The white haired old SOB looks like he could back down a few young centers in this league.

Many ... MANY New York fans are still pissed about Thomas sending Ariza away.

Did I mention that it seemed that Laker fans outnumbered Knicks fans IN THE GARDEN?

Pau may be skinny but ... I swear he is the quickest 7 footer in the league today.

Lamar is the best ... and I mean BEST ... help defender on the Lakers now that Bynum is out. Best. PERIOD. He was very active tonight. Yes ... he couldn't throw a pea in the ocean on offense tonight but defensively he seemed to be everywhere.

From the second the game began, Kobe was clearly in his stop me if you can mode.

Mbenga doesn't look very impressive in civilian clothes. I don't know ... I just thought he'd look bigger.

When Kobe left the game, he got a standing ovation. Seriously. In New York.

Walking back to our car IN NEW YORK there were Laker jerseys everywhere. And yes ... I wore my Laker shirt and so did my sons.

My oldest son's SO is a native New Yorker and HUGE Knick's fan. They sat in a different section than me (I could not get 8 tickers together) and she COMPLAINED that the Laker fans were too damn loud.

Did I mention ... this is NEW YORK

Thanks for sharing. That's a game that you and your family will never forget. Thanks as always, DB.
Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject:

dna. wrote:
Thanks as always DB!

And NYLakerFan - your post was a great read, always love to read insight from those in attendance at our road games. Thank you!

ditto! thanks db & nylf
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
I was hoping to have a DB storyline to read this morning. Maybe how gangsters' bodies, riddled with 61 bullet holes, were scattered over the streets of Manhattan.

I debated it, but thought I should play this one straight because it's a recap people may want to read a year or two from now...and all the other stuff might be confusing then.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject:

That spin move for points 58 and 59 was one of the most brilliant and beautiful moves I've ever seen. It made MJ's hand switching layup look pedestrian by comparison. Vicious fake, amazing, lanky spin, and nothing but net. I doubt there's 3 guys in the league that could execute that move in a game without traveling. As of now, that will be the signature move I think of when someone says "Kobe".
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject:

Hmmm. I mentioned it as the signature move of his performance last night. Never thought about it as his signature move. Gonna have to ponder that one. Pretty good candidate.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject:

I haven't watched MJ anywhere near as much as I've watched Kobe, but I swear I've seen MJ complete something similar a few times in the latter stages of his career. In fact, when I saw that move, I immediately thought of the 1995-1998 Jordan. Not taking anything away from Kobe, because I don't think Jordan was capable of that move at age 30, but it does show how no one but MJ has ever had Kobe's skill.... and maybe not even MJ.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Hmmm. I mentioned it as the signature move of his performance last night. Never thought about it as his signature move. Gonna have to ponder that one. Pretty good candidate.

Just so you know, I didn't mean signature in that it is the move he uses a lot and is known for (like Hardaway and the crossover), more that it is a move that simply defines his total skill set and easy athletic ability. It was an iconic move in an iconic performance.

MJ is known for that hand-switching layup, despite the fact he rarely if ever did it again, and despite the fact that it happened in the first of his six finals. If I had to think of MJ's most common move, I would have to say that arching of the back in the post as a prelude to his turnaround jumper. But to this day, if you ask fans to list their favorite MJ move/ highlight, I suspect the layup wins by a wide margin.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: