Dennis_D Blog: Are the Lakers too talented to make a trade?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Dennis_D Blog: Are the Lakers too talented to make a trade?

Link

Dancing Barry asked me to be a contributor and this is my first go. I am guessing that I should create a post here in the lounge to let people know about the post and for people to discuss the post. I hope you find it interesting!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Good stuff Dennis... nice start!

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
mmkillen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject:

It would really help having Walton's k off the books...That could save about 10mill a year..maybe the difference in keeping Odom
golden1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Thx Dennis_D
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Nice article though I am not as certain it will be possible to get rid of Walton. His contract go out to 2013. Hope you are right.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Good stuff Dennis... nice start!

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Great read Dennis_D. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject:

i want the lakers to hold the clippers to under 90. we need to keep that killer D going. it needs to be our identity.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject:

bynum and kobe setting up a play in the huddle. expect a monstrous lob very soon.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject:

drew!!!!!!
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject:

KGB, holy mackeral
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Luca - The game thread is over there (points up).
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Nice job Dennis D. All of the personnel questions hinge on Lamar's current contract, and future contract demands. The Lakers may be in a position where they let Lamar expire and hope that the soft pre-2010 free agent market next summer coupled with the success of this season encourages him to take less to stay. Then focus on moving Luke for an expiring.

The risk is that someone offers Lamar more and he walks for nothing. Walton (who is a poor-man's Lamar) can take his spot in the rotation since they are stuck with him anyway, and then they give Lamar's money to Drew.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject:

^^^ In a halfcourt set Luke could be considered a poor man's Odom but not with the new emphasis on uptempo for the 2nd unit. Walton can't force blocks/steals or rebound like Odom does nor can he push the ball or play PF full-time in order to co-exist with Ariza.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject:

odom's contract is invaluable if we want to keep the core of this team together. adding another long-term player means one of kobe, pau, or bynum has to go.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Games like these sure make you wonder if they don't need any tweaking. Farmar is stepping up at the PG. Ariza's shot looks smooth. The big issue, of course, is Lamar. His true value, though, might be when this team isn't healthy. If either Bynum or Drew have to sit out, the W's are still their for the taking with LO at PF.

Those two trades by Mitch last year ...

Good read, Dennis.
KingKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject:

I agree. There's not really a way for this team to be 'better' through trade, outside of something very unrealisitc.

If they made a trade it would be to save money. But so many variables (Odom, Ariza, Bynum, Kobe just to start), makes it very hard to assume how or what they might do to accomplish that. Very probable they wait til after the season to see where the chips are falling with player contracts before making any serious moves.

"We're all surrounded by idiots." - Kobe Bryant
cpxconfuciousboi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject:

nice read.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
The risk is that someone offers Lamar more and he walks for nothing. Walton (who is a poor-man's Lamar) can take his spot in the rotation since they are stuck with him anyway, and then they give Lamar's money to Drew.

That's not exactly a solid plan, considering that Odom is already the poor man's version of somebody. So, with Walton, you'd be getting the poor man's poor man. Hardly dependable.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
Luca - The game thread is over there (points up).

i swear to god i was posting in the game thread

someone is trying to make a fool of me, i demand an investigation, pronto
CrownLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Yes!I have to bury my trade demands after what I've witnessed these 2 games,plus preseason.
suckycrapkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject:

I read the whole article & bottom line is the Lakers are in good shape to compete for a title the next 5 years.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject:

Sorry for getting to this late - Dennis. Haven't had a chance to really go through something with proper concentration.

Good write up.

A few thoughts.

The Lakers should still make a trade like Lamar Odom for Carmelo Anthony. Look I am no big Melo fan, but talent is talent. You can't possibly worry about Kobe and Carmelo not working, because the reality Kobe's prime is 2-3 years away from being over (Though I expect him to be a all-star for at least another 5 years). Carmelo is a guy that you can pair with Andrew, Pau, Farmar, maybe for the next 10 years. You can't overlook franchise talent, and Melo is that. A coach like Phil, he could probably get through to a guy like Melo. And it's not certain that Melo wouldn't work out with this current team. Much like how Phil is bringing LO off the bench, I think that's what he would do with one of the new big 4 (Bynum, Gasol, Melo, Kobe). It is an absolute risk worth taking.

Although there is no way we could ever get Melo for LO. If Bynum was added into the equation, for sure. Not LO alone. Do not see that. The Nuggets can do much better elsewhere.

Trading Walton is going to be tough. Almost impossible. Mitch is the GM that got Cook + Evans for Ariza, Kwame + Critt + Marc Gasol for Pau Gasol, but I think moving Walton in this current economy of the NBA, is going to be even tougher and a bigger coup. The teams that have interest in Walton's game - and some may laugh at that but IMO there are a few teams - well they have their eyes set on a big FA in 2010. I doubt they are willing to move a last year for Walton.

Ideally, the only move Mitch makes this year or by draft day 2009 is unloading Walton, so that he can free up capspace to sign Ariza and then offer Odom an amount closer to his market value. But that will be tough, very tough.

In the end, one could say, unless a trade is actually made, LA will lose talent through free agency next year. The Lakers in some ways, have to make a move to shed salary commitments in order to have a realistic chance at signing two of their top 6 players at this point in time - LO and Ariza.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: