Why GP will be back in purple and gold
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will GP return to the Lakers?
Yes!
48%
 48%  [ 43 ]
No...
51%
 51%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 89

Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Why GP will be back in purple and gold

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that GP will be our PG next year.

And here's why...

First off, it says a lot that his agent called the Lakers... if GP is really willing to come back, then this is a no brainer for Mitch. No way we can do better in free agency when you consider that we are only offering 2 years. Of course we could always be looking for a PG through a trade instead... and we might hope guys like Christie or Anderson get cut... but we cannot afford to just wait and hope. We need to be proactive and get the best player we can.

OK, so then the big question is: why would GP want to come back?

We know he doesn't like the triangle, and we know he was pissed when we traded him. But we also know that he wants to return to the west coast, and that he realizes he isn't the star player anymore.

Well, on the one hand, there are several west coast teams that could really use Gary. The Suns could use a solid backup to Nash, and if they lose Johnson, may need more than a backup. The Clips could use a guy to replace Jaric should they lose him, and could use a tutor for Livingston as well. For that matter, the Blazers and Sonics could both use a tutor for their young PG's... and the Sonics could especially welcome Gary back considering that they lost Daniels. Sacto just lost their backup PG when they traded Jackson for Bonzi, and even Golden State, GP's hometown, might have a place for his services if they trade or amnesty cut Fisher.

In other words... it would seem that GP should have lots of options. Not sure how much each of these teams would be willing to offer, but you gotta think at least one or two would be willing to offer the full MLE.

So then why do I think the Glove fits best with the Lakers? Because the Lakers can offer one thing that none of these other teams can: a starting spot.

This is GP we are talking about folks. Do you really think he wants to go to a team where he will only play 20 minutes off the bench? GP can still ball, and he knows it. There is only one west coast team that can offer him a starting spot, and that is why the Lakers are the best fit for the glove.

Get it done Mitch!
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I think we already had a poll on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject:

^well yes... I kinda added the poll as an afterthought... but the other poll was asking if people WANTED GP back... this one asks if they think that in fact he will return. So there's at least some difference.

Also this post offers a prediction and rationale for his return... and may be the first to suggest that the main reason for his return will be the starting spot. (I say may because certainly someone else could have said this before... and I am hardly claiming some kind of special insight here, just thought it was worth posting).

Thanks.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject:

And in fairness, the other GP poll had a very clear negative slant not only to the title, but to the setup (choices) as well.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:

lets just hope not, we saw how that faired last time around...but if there is no other option...
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
^well yes... I kinda added the poll as an afterthought... but the other poll was asking if people WANTED GP back... this one asks if they think that in fact he will return. So there's at least some difference.

Also this post offers a prediction and rationale for his return... and may be the first to suggest that the main reason for his return will be the starting spot. (I say may because certainly someone else could have said this before... and I am hardly claiming some kind of special insight here, just thought it was worth posting).

Thanks.

Oh ok. Well I voted yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I think Payton wants to come back because he moved his family here and they don't want to move again. It's not good for couples to be apart from each other for long periods of time because their attention may stray and I heard GP wants to keep an eye on things at home.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Hope not.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure GP wants to return to the west coast. Didn't his family stay behind in LA when he got traded to the Celtics?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing GP will be a laker. Seriously.

Last time a rumor like this became public, I had the viewpoint "I can deal with this, but I'd like to see something better". That was the Kwame/Caron deal. If they end up with Payton, they're getting a player that had one year in the system and didn't work out the way they planned. With Phil, most of his staff, Payton, and maybe Lue, what other former Lakers are out there? I could see Elden as well.

I can deal with GP and Lue, then you bring Elden back as a 10mpg big, to not have to rush Bynum. At that point, I'd explore dealing Vlade's contract, and throw in's to get a big guy if available. Haven't looked into it, but you'd think you'd be able to pickup a big rebounder with a big 2 year deal. Sadly, the guy that fits the bill is a healthy Brian Grant.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject:

hes the best available realistically, i say sign him mitch
X56
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject:

I would say yes if he could convince Malone to come out of retirement
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject:

^ ha! pretty funny X56...

but seriously guys, do you agree that the main reason why GP will return is that the Lakers are the only West Coast team that can offer him a starting spot?
lionballer7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:

ugh!!! why on earth do we want a cry baby/whiner that poutswhen he is not invloved in the offense. His jumpshot has dissappeared, and that is the main reason why I don;t want him back. In the TRI he will get alot of open jumpers, and he will miss most of them because his skills ovreall have diminished significantly. Payton
HoopsLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I think so, we do not many other choices. He has a year of the triangle so his expectations will be adjusted. Also no one thought that Phil could coach Kobe after the book, GP did nothing worse so bring them all back together. I wonder what Malone is doing next season.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject:

no defense against quick pg's
no 3 pt shooting
no thanks.

lle ?
welcome aboard...
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
no defense against quick pg's
no 3 pt shooting
no thanks.

lle ?
welcome aboard...

I don't think any of our other FA options are significantly better defenders. Yes Lue can hastle the quicker PG's, but overall GP is still a better defender. He is not a 3 pt shooter, but then neither was Ron Harper. And don't forget, one of Payton's biggest defensive problems when he was with us was that Shaq gave zero help on the pick and roll.

So I do think the Lakers will want GP back... and the reason why he will come is not the money (he can get equal elsewhere) but the FACT that we are the only west coast team that can offer him a STARTING POSITION.

I'll keep saying this till I'm blue in the face!
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject:

At one time GP was one of the most, if not the most dominant defensive PG in the game. At this point, because of his speed Lue may be a better option. Everyone (including me) loves the job he did on Iverson, and if it wasn't for him wasn't big bucks he'd still be a Laker. They got a good deal for GP and did the right thing. I'm just saying, though it's likely to happen, it sounds weird giving GP the MLE and Lue the LLE when Lue could get more minutes. I really don't think GP is worth the MLE, but like I said, this looks just like the Kwame thing.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Lue did a good job on Iverson, yes... but put him on a bigger PG and he'll be swatted away like an annoying little fly. Lue would be good to have as a backup, and against certain players would get more time, but GP would be a better overall defender from his grave.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject:

I would never offer GP the FULL MLE, never ever again. Half maybe, but not the whole thing. I think that Ty Lue would be a good BACKUP point but should not start for any NBA team not named the Hawks.

I think that it is probably safe to say, however, that we will not see Mitch pick up any starting quality point guards until after we see who is gonna get cut with the amnisty rule. i personally would rather see Jalen Rose or Derek Anderson (and yes i know they are not natural points) than the likes of GP.

Hell i would rather have Fish back with the Lakers, but im a big Fisher fan, so..... :roll:

Damon Stodemire is a good natural point too. He is short, 5'10" i think, but definitly can score. I dont know how well he defends though. Plus he has the same agent as GP, so he could be negotiating for either player.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject:

I would love to have Rose off the bench...but as a starting point? Why is everyone saying this? Can anyone imagine him guarding PG's? Also, it would be plain stupid to wait to see who gets cut. We could end up with nothing. Sign GP now... then if someone good gets cut, that's just gravy.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:

But GP will want the whole MLE, which he is not worth. Then you only have the LLE to offer big name free agents (if there are any)
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject:

^a bird in the hand...
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
^a bird in the hand...

What the Hell does that mean?
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:

^ah, come on rookie... you don't know that old saying? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?

better to get the best we can right now, instead of hoping that somebody we could use just might be cut in the future. That would be dumb management.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: