GP? - Gag me.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want GP back?
Yes - he's the best available option for the 2007 plan.
22%
 22%  [ 25 ]
No - the jerk cost us Marcus Banks and a #1 pick
25%
 25%  [ 28 ]
No - stick a fork in him, he's done.
28%
 28%  [ 31 ]
Yes - if he comes for the LLE so we can use the MLE on someone else.
22%
 22%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 109

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
orwell wrote:
It goes without saying "No - the jerk cost us Marcus Banks and a #1 pick"

Really? If memory serves me..

The #1 pick was going ANYWAY. We had to return the #2 pick and exchange JJones for Banks.

Many might say JJ was a better pickup then Banks in which case you might want to send GP a thank you note.

My bad - he cost us Banks and a 2nd round pick and he's STILL a jerk.

As for thinking JJ was a better pickup than Banks - I cannot imagine a universe in which a team that had D.George, C. Butler, L.Walton, L.Odom, K.Rush and a rookie, Euro as the only PG on the roster is better off getting a journeyman SF than a PG who was a lottery pick the year prior.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:

True, we certainly would be better off NOW with Banks over JJ. Still, for what it's worth, Jones deserves credit for his play last season and even if he was at a position we weren't in as much need for, he was just as good at SF last season as Banks would have been at PG.

Still with ya, I think Payton flaked for not reporting and costing us a trade, regardless of what it was. Whoever mentioned that he picked up his option last year with us for financial reasons is entirely correct. He (correctly) didn't expect he could get an MLE contract after the poor year he'd had with the Lakers.

Still not entirely against bringing him back. He's one of the greats at PG over his career and as much as he yaps, he's not a locker room cancer, especially with Phil at the reins. I don't think he's worth the full MLE, especially because overpaying a player for a 2 year contract isn't an issue (what team is going to offer a 37 year old more than 2 years anyways?).

There just aren't that many PG options out there right now, and while GP isn't my favorite, he's at least on my short list.

Soda
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject:

If GP had anything left in the tank, Riles would be trying to pair him with DWade before Snaq's window closes.

GP is done.
SCAR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:

GP's career 3p% is 32%. Our point guard must be able to hit that consistently to give the tri it's proper spacing. GP's man would be able to collapse on dribble penetration and double team effectively. Look bottom line on GP is his strengths just aren't strong anymore! We need to take a chance on somebody with youth and start building from within.
TrueLakerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:

I really don't want GP, imo hes done and he's nothing but a locker room cancer. However listening to Jeannie Buss on Dave Smith's show she pretty much gave it away. She was really standing up to GP. Saying he's a vet and a hall of famer and is a perfect match for the Lakers' young group. So I'm begining to think GP will be a Laker. As much as I hate to say it, he's about the only one that fits the monetary bill for the Lakers at this point.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject:

TrueLakerman wrote:
I really don't want GP, imo hes done and he's nothing but a locker room cancer. However listening to Jeannie Buss on Dave Smith's show she pretty much gave it away. She was really standing up to GP. Saying he's a vet and a hall of famer and is a perfect match for the Lakers' young group. So I'm begining to think GP will be a Laker. As much as I hate to say it, he's about the only one that fits the monetary bill for the Lakers at this point.

Yeah, I heard Jeannie, too. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in her - she also kept invoking the "I can't talk about this because of tampering" phrase when discussing Fat A.. er, Snaq, as if there was a chance he'd be back in P&G.

In fact, I wouldn't trust a doggone thing that anyone in the entire organization has to say. Misinformation seems to be the order of the day for them.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject:

^You are right about the misinformation campaign... good god!

But as I keep saying, a reunion is in the best interest of both parties. We get the best possible PG we can through free agency (considering we only have the MLE and that we are only offering 2 years) and Gary gets to go to the only west coast team that can offer him a starting spot. Just seems like a lock to me... but you never know...
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject:

TrueLakerman wrote:
I really don't want GP, imo hes done and he's nothing but a locker room cancer.

Why do people keep saying this? Just because he pouted when his game was going poorly or when he wasn't getting the minutes? That's just Gary wearing his heart on his sleeve. I don't remember any reports that suggested he was a locker room cancer, but I do remember a hell of a lot of stories about Kobe being a locker room cancer.

All I am saying is that I doubt you'd want to get rid of Kobe because of such stories (whether they are true or not, it is certainly a fact that Kobe's negative effect on team chemistry has been dwelled on far more than Gary's...). So why resist GP coming here for the same reason, especially when such reports are either few or non-existent?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
^You are right about the misinformation campaign... good god!

But as I keep saying, a reunion is in the best interest of both parties. We get the best possible PG we can through free agency (considering we only have the MLE and that we are only offering 2 years) and Gary gets to go to the only west coast team that can offer him a starting spot. Just seems like a lock to me... but you never know...

GP will be THIRTY-SEVEN YEARS OLD - he hated the system, whined and moaned at 35 (remember his famous "I wouldn't have come if I had known they wanted me to be a standstill jump-shooter" quote?

I don't think he has the skills anymore - especially on D - and I KNOW he doesn't have the attitude - they'd do better signing me to the MLE for two years.
Mindflayer
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject:

GP screwed us. He only re-uped becuase he knew no other team would come close to offering him the MLE. Let him and Sprewell feed thier families with some other teams money.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: