LAKERS -at- WIZARDS - 2/3 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Nice writeup DB.

DJ is definitely a keeper with his Mboards and Mblocks. Good job by the FO to find another young talent. DJ is raw but has some potential.

Ronny's insertion to the starting lineup to replace Kwame has been huge the last 2 games.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Good job. Missed the game so I count on your "word's eye view."
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Sister Golden Hair wrote:
I think the biggest revelation in recent games has been Ronny. The dude challenges everything, can hit the elbow jumper consistently, dives to the rack intelligently, and is an unselfish passer. Ronny is definitely a keeper and will be the fulcrum of that second unit once everyone is healthy.

SGH

Anyone got his stats as a starter? Seems like he's put up some good numbers whenever he does start.

As Starter - 11 games, 25.9 Min., 9.5 PPG (55.6%), 4.9 RBD, 2.1 AST, 1.7 BLK, 1.5 TO. Those numbers at 35 min. per game project to 12.8 PPG, 6.4 RBD, 2.7 AST, 2.2 BLK, 2.0 TO. His production is pretty consistent regardless the amount of minutes he plays.

Ronny has played in only 3 games this year where received 30 or more minutes (New Orleans, Philly, and Toronto) where he averaged 33.7 min., 13.0 PPG (59.3%), 5.4 RBD, 3.0 AST, 3 BLK, 0.6 TO.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Bystander
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Now I realized how painfull it was trying to run Tri-offense thru Kwame. You could see how players were stopping and giving a second thought before passing ball to the post.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject:

^ Yeah, once Gasol gets comfortable in it, it's going to be moving fast. We'll have threats of some kind at every position.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Not to pile on (re kwame) but, yeah, he was a negative force multiplier out there as far as maintaining momentum and fluidity in the offense. I think it says something about this team that they embraced him as a teammate in spite of his manifest flaws. But when I watched the team with Kwame i just thought he was nullified most good things this team was capable of. Now that people have seen Mitch get rid of players like Smush, kwame and Cook, does everyone not see how frikkin' amazing it was for this team to make the play-offs despite such "talents"? Kudos to PJ, Kobe and the other guys for fighting the good fight on two fronts.

It's been liberating seeing some of those guys go.

SGH
Bystander
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Yep, that team featuring Kwame and Smush in starting lineup almost upset Phoenix...
And they say He doesn't make his teammates better...
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Bas wrote:
Im hoping they actually go ahead and sign DJ the rest of the season. He's impressed me.

I agree. If he keeps playing like this I'm pretty confident he will be signed for the rest of the season when the current 10-day runs out.

Actually, if he isn't, then perhaps it would be a sign that another trade is in the works.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Not to pile on (re kwame) but, yeah, he was a negative force multiplier out there as far as maintaining momentum and fluidity in the offense. I think it says something about this team that they embraced him as a teammate in spite of his manifest flaws. But when I watched the team with Kwame i just thought he was nullified most good things this team was capable of. Now that people have seen Mitch get rid of players like Smush, kwame and Cook, does everyone not see how frikkin' amazing it was for this team to make the play-offs despite such "talents"? Kudos to PJ, Kobe and the other guys for fighting the good fight on two fronts.

It's been liberating seeing some of those guys go.

SGH

To be fair though, Kwame his first year (especially heading into the playoffs and in the Phoenix series) was definitely a positive contributor. His real downfall didn't begin until last year once he got injured and came back from injuries the second half of the year.. he did start that year off decently well. Then, this year, he took sucktitude to a whole new level coming into camp in bad shape and his overall skill level clearly disgrading. He truly became a negative on the floor this year and thus why we see us playing better now simply by his subtraction.

In any case, I have always pined for Ronny to get more minutes and I love the fact he has been getting them lately. Even with Gasol coming in, I expect Ronny to continue to get 25+ minutes a game until Drew comes back... he is such a breath of fresh air.

I love now that our bench has essentially become full of hustle players. So what you want about Luke, but he tries...add Sasha, Farmar, Ariza, Ronny, and Mbenga to that, you have a second unit of balanced, hustling, scrappy, and HUNGRY players that will harrass and annoy the heck out of the rest of the league. Best starting line-up in the league AND best bench in the league... IF this team gells and IF Bynum/Farmar takes another step next year like they did this year, we could be talking about the most talented team to EVER lace them up in the NBA. No joke.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what is going through Mihm's mind as he watches the players run the ball down the court much of the game.

I do feel bad for Kwame. He was not the player that we wanted him to be but maybe part of that is everyone putting their own expectations on him, like wanting your talentless kid to be a star. He is really the laughingstock of the NBA right now and he's a decent guy. He could benefit a team like Memphis.
LongtimeLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Mr. EIC. You rock.

I love how the ball is moving without Kwame in the lineup. It's good to see the fluid, confident movements and how the open shot was there most of the time. Everyone knew where everyone else was supposed to be, and it went great. Yes!

I like Mbenga too. He does look like he mbelongs out there. Every game he looks a little mbit more solid with the mball and his place on the court.

Do it, Mbitch!!!!!!!!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Sasha jumpers of dribbles, wow...much improvement for him
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Good stuff DB!
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Quote:
hopefully we will have some thoughts and ratings about gasol on tuesday

Looking forward to Gasol's thoughts and ratings too. He certainly got to witness quite a show by Kobe. Ever since the news, the team looks so much together in the tri-chemistry and Kobe is playing perfect basketball. Loved that bounce pass by Vlad to a cutting Lamar for the slam.

Mbenga and Turiaf are doing a fine job of holding down the center spot for now. Vlad and Lamar both had good field goal percentages as well as Sasha. I think Fisher's shooting will improve when Gasol gets cemented into the starting lineup. Damn, I bet Bynum can't wait to join his fellow tower of power and wreck havoc on other frontlines in the West.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject:

DB - Thanks, As Always!

Question:
Noting that the ball no longer stops when it gets into Kobe hands, that resulted in him getting the ball back in better position, what can Phil do to remind the players to consistently/continuously run the offense to the benefit to all the players - as it was during this game?

Are there any stats on how many times LO has been successful (winning shots) during crunch time (last 1 minute of the game) ?
HawkeyeJames
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject:

DB - Thanks as usual! I don't get to see many games living in Iowa so I really enjoy your recaps.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject:

Nice win and thanks for the recap.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- WIZARDS - 2/3 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

stopthiZ8 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Gasol will get his first action in the next game. I love how the Pistons-Mavs game is going on and the announcers are still talking about this trade, even showing the new Laker lineup. They didn't say it, but the pick up of Gasol could have a similar affect to how the Rasheed trade impacted Detroit.

DB- I was thinking the same thing and wanted to post this. I feel like Pau trade is to us like it was to Pistons in 04. If you think about it the whole situation in 03-04 was very similar to this year. Like the Lakers had just picked up two all-stars in GP and Mailman in the off-season and Boston did the same with KG and Ray. Than came February and a team that was underdog picked up Rasheed and beat the Lakers. Just like Lakers underdogs picked up Gasol and just put the finishing touch.

That is eerily similar!! Great point!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: