Ocho's Top 10 Movies of 2007
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Ocho's Top 10 Movies of 2007

inspired by the top albums thread and my boredom at work...i decided to compile my favorite films of the year.

it should be noted that i did not see Atonement, The Kite Runner, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Lust Caution or Gone Baby Gone.

Honorable Mention: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Beowulf, La Vie en Rose, Superbad

10. Charlie Wilson's War

Ah what could have been. I had the privilege of reading Aaron Sorkin's script for this film almost a year ago. The script I read was an incredibly biting commentary on US foreign policy. Perfect material for director Mike Nichols. The ending of the script would have been the appropriate and chilling ending to this film. Too bad this film chickened out. It's not surprising though. Given the high profile of its stars, and the controversy of the script's finale, I'm not surprised the studios but their foot down but I'm still disappointed this film isn't what it could have been. Even still these themes are touched on if not fully developed and what we're left with is a very entertaining film about a playboy senator who raises funds for Afghan rebels to fight Soviet communists from $5 million to $1 billion. Philip Seymour Hoffman is the highlight as a no-BS CIA agent. It's a quality film but it should have been higher on the list. CLIP

9. Black Snake Moan

A forgotten film from the beginning of the year, Craig Brewer's follow up to Hustle & Flow is a memorable tale of redemption in the deep south. Samuel L. Jackson shines as a former blues musician, recently dumped by his wife for his brother who stumbles upon a promiscuous skank beaten and bludgeoned in the middle of the road. Jackson proceeds to chain her to a radiator until she changes her sinful ways. Like Hustle & Flow before it, Black Snake Moan teases exploitation but is much smarter and deeper than that. Both characters find redemption and the film is mesmerizing despite a terrible performance by Justin Timberlake. CLIP

8. Grindhouse

A box office bomb, Grindhouse will likely be forgotten by the masses and cherished by those who saw it. This is probably the most pure fun I had at the movies in 2007. Grindhouse celebrates the joy of filmmaking. Asking modern audiences to sit through a 3+ hour double feature with fake trailers was probably too much to ask, yet Tarantino and Rodriguez's homage to cheesy 70s horror flicks remains a pure thrill. Special nod to Eli Roth for making the hilarious "Thanksgiving" trailer. Unfortunately, the Weinstein Company, in their never ending pursuit to squeeze every dime out of every movie possible (because clearly they aren't rich enough), this film was separated and therefore neutered on DVD. Considering we have yet to get our put-together Kill Bill DVD set, I wouldn't hold my breath for the real deal version of Grindhouse. It will remain a fond memory that was probably meant only for the big screen anyway. CLIP

7. Lars and the Real Girl

In a year where many of the top films were dark stories, here is a small gem where every character is kind. Ryan Gosling gives another great performance as Lars, a man so introverted and unable to make human connections that he starts a relationship with a real doll. If this concept were in any other hands we would get a film with cheap laughs, physical comedy involving the doll, and tons of sex jokes. This film however realizes that sex is the farthest thing from Lars' mind. The town's reaction to Lars and his new "girlfriend" highlight the goodness in people and their ability to unselfishly lend a hand to others. CLIP

6 No Country For Old Men

The Cohen Brothers' dark and haunting film features one of the scariest characters in recent history and a patient eye for the camera. This movie slowly brews instead of being showy and it does a phenomenal job of building tension as two characters jockey for position..and their lives. There is a tremendous sequence where Javier Bardem's Anton Chigurh stalks Josh Brolin's Llewelyn Moss yet remains unseen. Inspired filmmaking. I was left disappointed by the way the film resolves itself (or doesn't) but it is still one of the finer films of the year. CLIP

5. Knocked Up

Judd Apatow is the toast of the town right now and it's no surprise why. He makes films that draw audiences for the laughs and keeps them coming for the sweetness he instills in his characters. Some films are funny, most think they're funny but very few are both funny and touching. Knocked Up showcases Apatow's ability to pull off this balancing act. It is a coming of age story in a similar way that Juno is. Juno is about teens realizing they don't have to grow up too fast while Knocked Up is about adults recognizing the rewards of growing up despite trying to hold onto their youth. Plus it's downright hilarious. Leslie Mann has one of the most memorable scenes of the year as she gets told by a bouncer at a club who doesn't want any "old ass pregnant ladies running round the club" CLIP

4. I'm Not There

Todd Haynes reinvents the biopic with this retrospective on the many faces of Bob Dylan. Instead of a streamlined biopic like Johnny Cash got with Walk the Line or Ray Charles got with Ray, Haynes instead knows his source far too well. Dylan is and always has been an ever changing enigma. A straighforward biopic wouldn't be as honest or effective as this. A child, a woman, old people, young people are all employed to show variations of our ideas and perceptions of Dylan. The folk singer, the icon, the cowboy, the bad husband, the Guthrie-inspired youth, the stubborn interviewee...all are on display here. Haynes is wise with his material for he realizes that though Dylan is the most iconic artist of our time, he still remains a mystery.
CLIP

3. Juno

Apparently this was the year of unplanned pregnancy movies. Juno has been criticized for it's all-too-witty hipster dialogue. If these critics took a closer look into teenagers they would discover that is often how teenagers talk. They define themselves by their taste in music and such and their ability to be as witty as adults as they struggle to keep up with them. Juno is a definitive coming of age story about a teenage girl, played by Ellen Page, who finds herself pregnant. What makes this work is the performances and the screenplay. The characters are authentic and genuine. Consider the scene where Juno informs her parents she is pregnant. How many similar films have the courage to sidestep the obvious parental reaction? Juno's parents aren't like typical teenage-movie parents who typically give the protagonist problems or feelings of resentment. Her parents are refreshingly loving and supportive. Plus it's genuinely funny. Great performances by Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, JK Simmons and Allison Janney. CLIP

2. Into The Wild

Sean Penn's beautiful adaptation of John Krakauer's real life telling of Christopher McCadless' journey into the Alaskan wilderness. McCandless famously donated his college fund to Oxfam, burned his social security card and disappeared on a journey of self discovery. Along the way he encounters several people who touch his life, yet McCandless never allows those relationships to develop. He is a man on a mission to strip himself of societal desires and materialism. Beautifully photographed and acted, Into the Wild forces us to reflect on our own mortality and values as McCandless unfortunately discovers his epiphany after it's too late. CLIP

1. There Will Be Blood

A towering achievement that will be proven to be one of the definitive films of this decade. Paul Thomas Anderson solidifies his spot as the finest working filmmaker with this tale of greed, religion and capitalism. Daniel Day-Lewis gives a legendary performance, and Anderson, composer Jonny Greenwood and cinematographer Robert Elswit are all at the very top of their game. It's a film that may bewilder some at first but is destined to be studied and watched for as long as people watch films.CLIP

Last edited by ocho on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Black Snake Moan should be higher up. Good list though. It's nice to see that Im not the only movie buff here!
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to see Into the Wild and I'm not There, but have heard nothing but very good things from people I trust. Very solid list - I can see some variation amongst the ten you list depending on taste, but it's hard to argue with the list itself.

I haven't seen Charlie Wilson's War, so I'd bump that and try to squeeze in The Lives of Others (I think that came out in 2007, could be wrong).
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:

You forgot Rush Hour 3... j/p I just saw the vid last night funny stuff.

BTW thanks for sharing your well thought out post... I'll use it as a guide when they come out on video... appreciate it ocho
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Superbad has got to be in the top 10. That movie was easily one of the funniest I've ever seen. And where is 300 and Transformers?
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:

:sigh:

I haven't seen even one of those...
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Pretty good list, but no 3:10 to Yuma?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:

good call, 3:10 was great

my list

1. Into the Wild
2. No country for Old Men
3. 3:10 to Yuma
4. Knocked Up
5. American Gangster(I know most don't like it, I enjoyed it)

still haven't seen There will be Blood which I have only heard great things.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
twoface723 wrote:

good call, 3:10 was great

my list

1. Into the Wild
2. No country for Old Men
3. 3:10 to Yuma
4. Knocked Up
5. American Gangster(I know most don't like it, I enjoyed it)

still haven't seen There will be Blood which I have only heard great things.

yeah 3:10 to Yuma was an excellant movie.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Knocked Up???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I absolutely loved seeing Grindhouse in theaters, and i didnt buy the seperate dvds... i'm holding out for the actual "Grindhouse" dvd if there ever is one. But you're probably right, Ocho - it wouldn't be the same as seeing it on the big screen.

I liked No Country a lot too. Javier Bardem was truly creepy, and did a fantastic job. I particularly liked Woody Harrelson in this movie too.

Knocked up was pretty good, but i like Superbad a lot more.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject:

regarding grindhouse, I thought planet terror was only "so-so", but I thought death proof was awesome. Funny though, because I expected it to be the oppossite. I have also heard very good things about this movie called "once." It's on my netflix que.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
:sigh:

I haven't seen even one of those...

Me neither. Where the (bleep) is shrek 3??? Disgusting.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject:

Haven't seen "There Will be Blood" yet, but "Once" and "No Country" were at the top of my list this year.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
regarding grindhouse, I thought planet terror was only "so-so", but I thought death proof was awesome. Funny though, because I expected it to be the oppossite. I have also heard very good things about this movie called "once." It's on my netflix que.

Bump it up to the top of your queue, bro. That film--imho--was amazing.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject:

I wont make a list til I see more movies (I havn't seen I'm Not There, There Will Be Blood, Juno, Atonement, Charlie Wilson's War, Lars and The Real Girl, or Eastern Promises yet!). But my 2 favorite movies ao far were 3:10 to Yuma and Michael Clayton. And I loved Superbad and Knocked Up (Will be classic comedies later)...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject:

Solid list, ocho. Here is mine

1. There Will Be Blood
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Superbad
4. The Diving Bell & The Butterfly
5. Grindhouse
6. Ratatouille
7. Knocked Up
8. Zodiac
9. Paris, Je t'aime
10. Eastern Promises
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject:

In the past year, at the movie theatre, I saw "Harry Potter" in iMax.

Oh, and Spider-Man 3.

That is my list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BallerAli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject:

American Gangster was legit lol
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:
Solid list, ocho. Here is mine

1. There Will Be Blood
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Superbad
4. The Diving Bell & The Butterfly
5. Grindhouse
6. Ratatouille
7. Knocked Up
8. Zodiac
9. Paris, Je t'aime
10. Eastern Promises

I thought Zodiac was last year...? Maybe im wrong.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Muad'Dib wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Bump it up to the top of your queue, bro. That film--imho--was amazing.

Already did so my good man

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:

should have been on my "haven't seen" list. i'll check it out on DVD.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

i dont' even really look at it by it's seperate parts. to me it's one big 3 hour good time.

seperating it defeats the point of it. they were never meant or desire to be seperated or viewed as two seperate movies.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Superbad has got to be in the top 10. That movie was easily one of the funniest I've ever seen. And where is 300 and Transformers?

Transformers was more enjoyable than i expected but overall didn't do it for me. they tried to do too much. they should have kept it as a story about a kid who buys a car that turns into a giant robot. instead they strayed away from that storyline by shoe horning in the military stuff. by doing this they killed the human story.

300 bored me. all style and no substance. just a lot of men screaming at each other in thongs and slow-mo green screen masturbation.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ocho's Top 10 Movies of 2007

I haven't had a chance to see barely any movies this year. But now I really want to see There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day-Lewis is badass. He barely does any movies nowadays, but he kills it every time. I didn't even like Gangs of New York, but he was freaking awesome in that.

ocho wrote:
7. Lars and the Real Girl

In a year where many of the top films were dark stories, here is a small gem where every character is kind. Ryan Gosling gives another great performance as Lars, a man so introverted and unable to make human connections that he starts a relationship with a real doll. If this concept were in any other hands we would get a film with cheap laughs, physical comedy involving the doll, and tons of sex jokes. This film however realizes that sex is the farthest thing from Lars' mind. The town's reaction to Lars and his new "girlfriend" highlight the goodness in people and their ability to unselfishly lend a hand to others.

This has nothing to do with Lars, but if you want to see Gosling's best performance, check out this clip of him from his Mickey Mouse Club days singing Jodeci here. He has a solo at about 1:30 in. This is the funniest thing I've ever seen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: