** Official: LAKERS @ SPURS Tuesday 11/13/07 **
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Spurs are favored by 8 points. What will happen?
Spurs win by 9 or more.
21%
 21%  [ 15 ]
Spurs win by 8 or less.
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
Lakers win.
69%
 69%  [ 49 ]
Total Votes : 71

cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: ** Official: LAKERS @ SPURS Tuesday 11/13/07 **

Link

11/13/07 - Lakers at Spurs Gameday
Location: AT&T Center | Time: 5:30pm | TV: KCAL/9 HD, NBATV HD | Radio: KLAC AM 570, ESPN 1330

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lakers-Spurs Preview
By BRETT HUSTON, STATS Writer

Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers haven't had trouble scoring on anyone so far this season. Then again, they haven't faced the San Antonio Spurs.

That will change Tuesday when the high-scoring Lakers visit the defending world champion Spurs, one of the league's best defensive teams.

The Lakers are among the NBA's leaders with 108.4 points per game, but Tim Duncan and the Spurs are allowing just 88.3 a contest.

San Antonio (6-1) allowed a league-low 90.1 points per game last season on the way to winning its third championship in five years. The Spurs have finished in the top three in the league in fewest points allowed in every season since 1997-98 - Duncan's rookie campaign.

The defensive intensity was evident throughout the Spurs' win Sunday against Milwaukee, but it was San Antonio's efficiency on offense that ensured the game wouldn't be close. The Spurs led 65-38 at halftime and cruised to a 113-88 win, with seven Spurs scoring in double figures.

"We had a very good night," said San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich, whose team shot a season-high 55.7 percent from the field in winning its third straight. "We came out with a lot of energy and I think we caught Milwaukee on a bad night for them."

Manu Ginobili led the Spurs, who were up by as many as 40, with 21 points in only 18 minutes. The Argentinian guard leads the team with 19.9 points per game despite coming off the bench. He hasn't started a regular-season game since Jan. 26 against Memphis but he isn't complaining, and neither is Popovich.

"It's very repetitive, isn't it?" Popovich asked. "I just hope we never take it for granted. Manu is an unbelievable competitor."

The Lakers (3-2) have played four of their first five games at home, but now will head to Texas for a two-game swing. After their stop in San Antonio, they'll travel to Houston to face the Rockets, who are tied with the Spurs atop the Southwest Division.

Los Angeles rebounded from a 14-point home loss to New Orleans with a 14-point win, beating Minnesota 107-93 on Friday. Bryant, who leads the league in scoring with 30.4 points per game, had 30, but it was the five other Lakers in double figures that impressed him.

"We just go with the flow. Honestly, we really don't give a darn who scores and who gets rebounds," Bryant said. "That's the thing about our system, all of us can handle the ball. That's why we're such a good passing team."

The Lakers had 28 assists against the Timberwolves, and are among the league's top five teams with 25.2 per contest.

Starting center Kwame Brown sat out his second straight game due to bursitis in his right heel, but forward Lamar Odom made his season debut, scoring 18 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Odom had shoulder surgery last spring that kept him out for the first 10 days of the season.

"It felt good. When you are on the perimeter a little bit more it's less banging, so I just picked my spots," Odom said, adding that it will probably take him "a couple of weeks" to be back to 100 percent.

Bryant has averaged 24.8 points in 38 games against the Spurs, though he posted 33.0 in three games versus them last season. Duncan has scored 21.6 points per game and averaged 12.3 rebounds against Los Angeles since entering the league.

The Lakers won two of three against the Spurs in 2006-07, including their only visit to San Antonio. The Spurs had won eight of nine meetings prior to last season.

Copyright 2007 by STATS LLC and Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated Press is strictly prohibited

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Los Angeles Lakers
Record: 3-2
Streak: Won 1

INJURY REPORT
Kwame Brown: Bursitis, Right Heel - Questionable
Maurice Evans: Sore Back - Questionable
Lamar Odom: Shoulder Surgery - Probable

San Antonio Spurs
Record: 6-1
Streak: Won 3

INJURY LIST
Brent Barry: Sprained Right Ankle - DTD
Robert Horry: Out
Jacque Vaughn: Sprained Right Calf - Out

Scouting Report

The Spurs kept the core of their NBA Championship team together. They are well organized, well prepared, and well disciplined. As the oldest team in the league (average age 30.2 years old) they ‘get it’. They start familiar faces Tony Parker, Michael Finley, Bruce Bowen, Tim Duncan, and Francisco Oberto.
Manu Ginobili is their 6th man but he plays starters minutes and Coach Popovich starts him in the second half sometimes. Other subs who contribute are Matt Bonner (filling the role of Robert Horry while Horry has been out for personal reasons – although he may play tonight), Francisco Elson ( a big man who is a good complement – can rebound and shoot from about 17 feet), Brent Barry (has been sidelined with a sprained ankle but is ready to go), and either Darius Washington or Jacque Vaughn at the backup point. They signed Ime Udoka in the off season and he provides some tough defense and can hit the 3 point shot with his feet set.

PROBABLE STARTERS
Los Angeles Lakers

Guard D. Fisher
Guard K. Bryant
Forward L. Odom
Forward R. Turiaf
Center C. Mihm

San Antonio Spurs

Guard T. Parker
Guard M. Finley
Forward B. Bowen
Forward T. Duncan
Center F. Oberto

GAME NOTES
SEASON & SERIES NOTES; CONNECTIONS
Taking 2-of-3 games against the Spurs last season, the Lakers won their first season series with San Antonio since going 3-1 against them during the 2003-04 season. In their most recent meeting January 28 at STAPLES Center, the Lakers led by 10 entering the fourth quarter and despite being forced to overtime, took the lead on a Kobe Bryant 20-foot jumper with seven seconds to play before Michael Finley connected on a three with 1.3 seconds remaining to give the Spurs a 96-94 comeback victory and help them avoid a three-game season series sweep. In their last 10 games, the Lakers have gone 3-7 against the Spurs but have won three of their last five overall. At STAPLES Center, the Lakers are 6-10 all-time against the Spurs, going just 2-8 at home in their last 10 games versus San Antonio. On the road against the Spurs, the Lakers have gone 4-6 in their last 10 games at San Antonio but are 4-3 in their last seven and are winners of their last two straight. Under head coach Phil Jackson, the Lakers are 12-15 against San Antonio in the regular season. In the postseason, Jackson is 14-7 against the Spurs, advancing to the next round in three of four series meetings. In 38 career games including 33 starts against San Antonio, Bryant is averaging 24.8 points per game while in three games against the Spurs last season, averaged 33.0 points. Spurs forward and former Laker Robert Horry (1996-2003) ranks among franchise leaders in 3-pt. FG made (10th/274) and blocked shots (9th/446). In addition, Horry was a teammate of Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher for all three Lakers championships from 1999-2002.

HIGH SCORERS
While the season is still young, the Lakers scoring through five games is nonetheless worth noting. To date, the Lakers 108.4 points per game ranks second among all NBA teams, trailing only Utah’s 111.1 points per game for top honors. Only four Lakers squads in team history have ever led the league in scoring: 1997-98 (105.5 ppg), 1985-86 (117.3 ppg), 1971-72 (121.0 ppg) and 1965-66 (119.5 ppg). The Lakers last averaged at least 108.4 points for an entire season in 1989-90 (110.7 ppg).

DOUBLE-DOUBLES FOR EVERYONE
In the Lakers 107-93 victory over Minnesota November 9, Andrew Bynum (10 points, 10 rebounds), Chris Mihm (10 points, 10 rebounds) and Lamar Odom (18 points, 10 rebounds) each posted double-doubles while Derek Fisher fell one assist shy (11 points, 9 assists). The game marked the first time since 3/27/05 vs. Philadelphia that three Lakers had all posted double-doubles in the same contest. In that game, Kobe Bryant (34 points, 10 rebounds), Caron Butler (13 points, 10 rebounds) and Mihm (17 points, 11 rebounds) all recorded double-doubles. Additionally, it was the first time since 1/7/06 that three Lakers had posted double-figure rebounds in the same game.

Official Game Notes
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject:

i looked around and didn't see any threads for tonights game!! what happened~!?!? so i thought i'd start one. If there is already one..feel free to merge!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject:

I predict a win tonight... Lakers 101-Spurs 95

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:

I think we kill them.

The lakers will get prince.
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject:

Also, the Lakers are 0-2 on Tuesdays and 3-0 on all other days!!
HyeLakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject:

cheetos82 wrote:
Also, the Lakers are 0-2 on Tuesdays and 3-0 on all other days!!

LOL that reminds me on the movie Celtic Pride idont know if youv seen it but they always believe in crazy stats like that and they have a whole seat switching thing its pretty funny.
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:

I think the key to this game will be shot selection. The Spurs are known to have good defense and Kobe always tries to prove "something" against Bowen. If he doesn't get too involved in the individual match, we should be okay. We match up well against the smaller 1-3 of the Spurs. Espcially since they are missing Horry, (who is a good low post defender) and big guard Brent Barry is not 100%. If they have Parker-Finely-Bowen (also when Manu checks in), one of them will have to guard Lamar. With Parker on Fish and Bowen on Kobe, Lamar should have lots of easy, low post baskets. As long as Lamar and Kobe take advantage of our lineup and not settle for jumpers, we should have plenty of opportunities around the basket. That'll force Elson or Duncan to help on the post and if we can move the ball around, Bynum,Mihm, and Turiaf can all finish around the basket off of defensive switches. Kwame not playing may be a blessing in disguise. Because of the pace the Spurs play, as long as we can score enough, they won't be putting up a lot of points.

Come on Lakers, we always play the Spurs well. Go play hard, don't get frustrated, and we will win this game.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject:

cheetos82 wrote:
Kobe always tries to prove "something" against Bowen. If he doesn't get too involved in the individual match, we should be okay.

A very, very tired and fallacious argument.

In three games last season vs. Bowen and the Spurs, Kobe averaged 33 points a game on 55% shooting (38-for-69). He also averaged nearly 7 rebounds and a little over 5 assists a game. If that's not a balanced, dominant performance, then I don't know what is.

It's obvious that he already has Bowen's number. In fact, he always has, save for the one year where he needed surgery in the following offseason. There is nothing left for him to prove versus Bowen.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject:

Lakers91
Spurs 88
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
cheetos82 wrote:
Kobe always tries to prove "something" against Bowen. If he doesn't get too involved in the individual match, we should be okay.

A very, very tired and fallacious argument.

In three games last season vs. Bowen and the Spurs, Kobe averaged 33 points a game on 55% shooting (38-for-69). He also averaged nearly 7 rebounds and a little over 5 assists a game. If that's not a balanced, dominant performance, then I don't know what is.

It's obvious that he already has Bowen's number. In fact, he always has, save for the one year where he needed surgery in the following offseason. There is nothing left for him to prove versus Bowen.

Well, slap me around and call me Suzy!! I stand corrected! *slap on your back*
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't be surprised if we won this game and drop the Houston game tomorrow night.

We'll split the back to back one way or another.
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I am tearing my hair out because I will have to miss this game to study for a midterm early tomorrow morning.
This is one of the few times that procrastination has really hurt me, I have to miss a Laker game!

I told my girlfriend to keep me in check because I have a feeling that no matter how behind I am in studying, it'll be hard for me to flick on a TV or let alone check a game track.

Amen to that!
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerHabib wrote:
I am tearing my hair out because I will have to miss this game to study for a midterm early tomorrow morning.
This is one of the few times that procrastination has really hurt me, I have to miss a Laker game!

I told my girlfriend to keep me in check because I have a feeling that no matter how behind I am in studying, it'll be hard for me to flick on a TV or let alone check a game track.

Study after the game. Problem solved.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject:

The optimism is nice, but I fear a bit misplaced.
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerHabib wrote:

Game is 2 hours. If 2-hours is make or break for you...then you need more than 2 hours....
alwayslakers08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject:

wow tonights game is at 5:30? isnt it usually at 730 against the spurs?

GO LAKERS
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:

alwayslakers08 wrote:
wow tonights game is at 5:30? isnt it usually at 730 against the spurs?

It's in San Antonio so our 5:30 is their 7:30.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Horry's out. We win.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 102
Spurs 97

Book it!
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerHabib wrote:

There will be more mid-terms next semester.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerHabib wrote:

God invented energy drinks for a reason.

All nighters.

You can watch the game.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
VujacicFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Do we have the beast (Kwame Brown) back?
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject:

VujacicFan wrote:
Do we have the beast (Kwame Brown) back?

looks like it, but it is Kwame so you never know
cheetos82
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Come on guys~!?! where is all the excitement`!?!?

COME ON!!! LET'S GO LAKERS!!!
thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerHabib wrote:

Growing up is about making priorities and tough decisions.

Be a man and watch the game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 1 of 36
Jump to: