JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 11/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject:

I replayed the fourth quarter to watch Bynum one more time. After two years of highlight plays coming primarily from one player it is nice to watch the new kids get their own. I must say that AB is a man long of limb.
Laker_Leo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Always a pleasure reading your posts.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject:

Farmar's 4th Takeover

Kobe blocks AK47s Dunk

Game Highlights

Lakers are playing like it's last November.... NICE!!!!! I so wish we could revisit that Houston....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject:

Really impressive win, I'm proud of our guys.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject:

thanks DB
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject:

KOBE 2.0 wrote:
Thanks,

Looks like Cook will be out of the rotation once Odom returns why does Cook look so lost DB? it can't be because hes getting small minutes I think the bad commitment in practice and the bad performance under the small portion of minutes hes playing under is gonna eventually put him as a 13-14th man off the bench.

Cook's an enigma. I don't know if the guy does work hard and has reached his genetic limits or he's clueless about working out to improve his athleticism. He's just not athletic, that's the way I see it. He commits stupid fouls out of frustration because the nba game is too fast for him.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject:

Good job, DB.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject:

BTW, thanks for the colorful write up DB! I don't ever remember seeing Kobe play within the team so well from the wing position before. That was a perfect game from Kobe. It's just amazing when the guy gets 33 pts. and not once during the game did I find myself saying, "run the offense!"

Bringing LO back and into the wing scares me now, Kobe's playing great from there. I think most of the time we're gonna be better playing Kobe at the wing and bringing LO off the bench at PF. Of course there are going to be times when LO is clearly a better defensive match up at SF.

Another thing that concerns me about LO, he's had some real stinkers coming back from injuries before, I hope Phil doesn't allow him to stay on the floor too long when he's rusty and clearly hurting the team.

Bottom line is I want LO to be used judiciously.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:

Part of the reason I think they are holding LO out so long is just that, Rick. They want him as close to 100% as possible, and himself the same.

Now I'm not saying it will happen, but the feeling I get is LO is on a mission to continue what he started last season pre-knee injury. That is make the all-star team and have an all-star impact when he plays.

We'll see what happens, one of the things I know for sure we'll be better at is defense with him. Luke is playing well, but in the last 2 wins we didn't face a great swingman. I really believe had Lamar been in there against Houston, T-Mac and Battier don't have the games they did and we beat them. Odom is our best matchup to make the elite/all-star caliber SF's work.

But I agree that Phil needs to bring him in slowly. I'd speculate that Lamar is going to practice the whole week with this team before he plays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject:

Good post DB...
One point must be brought to light...Andrew Bynum's attitude. He has spent the last two seasons flashing some offensive prowess but little or no attitude towards his defensive and rebounding role. Last night's game he showed he really wanted to get rebounds and played defense with attitude. Can this be the emergence of a budding star the Lakers have been waiting? If Bynum can continue to consistently play defense with that same attitude, the Lakers will finally reap some of the benefits for not trading him. We all know that rebounding starts with desire, and Andrew flashed that also last night. I hope for our sake (Laker supporters) he continues this trend. There's no reason with a few trades we can regain our rightful championship level.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject:

Damn, I forgot all about the game. I am sad I missed it. But thanks for the recap, DB. Makes me feel like I saw it myself.

Sounds like the team overall played well. Great defensive play by Kobe on AK.

But the play of Farmar and Bynum is very impressive. Sometimes the best trade is the one a team doesn't make.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject:

Thanks as always, DB. Farmar and Bynum were the catalysts in that deciding fourth quarter. Very nice win.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:

excellent play by all against an excellent team

W

The lakers will get prince.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Again the sun rises on the Lakers game and sets with another great DB review!!

Example of Teamwork
When Jordan was on a fastbreak with Kobe and Bynum on the wings, the ball went to Bynum for a dunk

Bynum teaming up with Kobe for a nice play resulting in a dunk

Kobe and DFish applying great pressure on the permeter (albeit they had fouls to give) that provided just additional evidence of the intensity.

Kobe is moving off a series of cuts/screens trusting that the other players will be able to get him the ball in his "sweet spots."

When DFish waved him off to take the ball on the opposite of the court that resulted in a score.

DB
Do you think that it is DB's plan to utilize a larger bench to maintain the high level of energy - ala Warriors/Mavs/etc.?

^^i said this should be the way they run this team. its the only way. they're to young and to talented not to run it like this. its a college team. reminds me of Kentucky from back in the day. Flush in 5 guys at a time darn near.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject:

DB, Great write-up as usual. I haven’t commented on the Lakers for a while, so here’s my contribution:

Kobe - There are 2 things that I loved about Kobe’s game last night – his movement off the ball and his unrelenting effort (especially on the defensive end). Kobe has had numerous stretches during his career where he’s throttled back the offense in order to get the team involved. However, during those stretches, he has usually resorted to being a playmaker. Even though he wasn’t actively looking to score, he would still control the ball a lot and try to rack up assists. The Kobe I’ve seen in the past 2 games has throttled his offense back a bit, but he has also relinquished control of the offense to Fish and Luke for large stretches of the game. However, he hasn’t been spectating as he has in the past when he doesn’t control the offense. Kobe has been working hard to rub his man off of screens to get to his sweet spots, which has resulted in more catch and shoot jumpers that we’re used to seeing from Kobe. He’s also been consistently backdooring his man, which has resulted in numerous off-the-ball lay-up opportunities. For years, we’ve asked the question, “Can Kobe play off the ball?” We now know definitively that he can.

Regarding his effort on the court, Kobe is really leading by example out there. It’s one thing to see Kobe D-up tightly on TMac, but when you see if lock in on guys like Giricek and Brewer, you know his defensive focus is as high as it can be. Both aspects of Kobe’s defense – man-to-man and team – were excellent last night. We all know about Kobe’s ability to be a Doberman. However, his team defense was excellent. The block on AK was spectacular, but Kobe has been doing the little things as well such as rotating to open shooters. He’s not getting stuck in no-man’s land as he often does when he gets lax on defense.

Fish – I don’t think anyone can argue anymore that Fish is a HUGE upgrade over Smush. He doesn’t have the defensive potential that Smush has (Smush could’ve been a lockdown defender if he put his mind to it), but Fish more than makes up for it with his tenacity and smarts. Physically, he’s not as good a defender as he was prior to his foot surgeries, but he LOOKS like a more effective defender because he now has support from his big guys (Kwame, Ronnie and Drew). It looks like Fish is starting to recognize this, and as a result, he’s been going over more screens than he usually does. One thing I love about Fish’s D is that even if he gets picked off, he hustles his butt off to recover back to his man. This is a sharp contrast to what we saw from Smush, who basically gave up playing D as soon as he got picked off. On a final defensive note, even though Nash and Williams have put up decent numbers against him, Fish has made them work for every point they scored. That’s all you can ask.

Offensively, this Fish we’re seeing is light years ahead of the old Fish. The old Fish was basically just a spot-up shooter. However, the new Fish makes thing happen in the triangle offense for others as well as himself. When you have 3 wings (Kobe, Fish and Luke) who know the offense and move the ball with a purpose, only good things can happen. Last year, we saw glimpses of this type of ball movement when Luke, Lamar and Kobe were healthy, but Smush was always a flow killer. In Fish, we have a guy who knows where everyone is supposed to be, and with the activity that bigs like Drew, Kwame, Ronnie and Vlad provide, Fish is reading the floor well and delivering some beautiful passes. As far as scoring goes, I love the fact that Fish is attacking the rim when he sees the opportunity, and as a result, he’s getting to the line a lot. When you add these new offensive elements to perimeter shooting that we expect from Fish, you can see how much of an upgrade Fish has been on the offensive end.

I’ve got more thoughts regarding the other guys, but this is what I’ve seen out of the Lakers backcourt…
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

Great job DB. Keep the writeups coming.

It will be interesting to see how Phil works Odom into the mix.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject:

"Jordan's always had that chip on his shoulder, and I've liked him from day one because of that,'' Bryant said. "He did a fantastic job, and that's what we need him to do. He did it well for us last year and he continues to get better.''

The lakers will get prince.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

winning the battle of the boards has been nig for us, especially against utah. if we control the glass, good things will continue to happen
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
KOBE 2.0 wrote:
Thanks,

Looks like Cook will be out of the rotation once Odom returns why does Cook look so lost DB? it can't be because hes getting small minutes I think the bad commitment in practice and the bad performance under the small portion of minutes hes playing under is gonna eventually put him as a 13-14th man off the bench.

Cook's an enigma. I don't know if the guy does work hard and has reached his genetic limits or he's clueless about working out to improve his athleticism. He's just not athletic, that's the way I see it. He commits stupid fouls out of frustration because the nba game is too fast for him.

He should at least train with Bynum's trainer, Sean Zarzana, and see if it works.

If he's going to sit on the pine, he might as well train like it's the offseason.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 11/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

jbjb wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
[b]Luke -- -- Luke made the defense work ...

DB, please excuse my stupidity but I missed the game. Could this be true: "Luke made the defense work"? As in the Lakers' defense worked because Luke as in the game? Or do you mean the Jazz defense had to work because of Luke? Or did Luke make the offense work, and play his usual level of defense?

Thanks for another great write up!

In fairness to Luke, it's true on both counts. He made the Jazz' defense work AND he played very solid defense against AK.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:

Sweet game from the youngsters - Bynum & JoFar. They are both playing with a lot of confidence. JoFar was especially impressive because his unit played poorly at the start of the 2nd Q and relinquished the lead the starters built, then really turned it around in the 4th. I really enjoyed him and Bynum yelling at Cookie to get out of the way at the end of the 3rd so that they could p&r and JoFar nailed the three ball. Cookie's the vet, but he wasn't where he should've been.

When Kobe's as efficient as he was last night, the Lakers are hard to beat. His points were effortless, not forced. I was suprised he even had 30+. His tenacity on the D is starting to carry over from his summer stint with the USA team.

Kobe is starting to look for Bynum more and more. Kobe set a nice post screen for Bynum to score and pitched in some good post passes that were just a little off. Perhaps he's starting to trust the kid. Seems like only a matter of time before the two start clicking in the corner set.

The energy so far has been excellent. This is the quickest I've seen a Lakers team help and recover in a long time. Plus they are challenging almost every shot.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:

DB--good stuff

TACH--thanks for the links
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Part of the reason I think they are holding LO out so long is just that, Rick. They want him as close to 100% as possible, and himself the same.

Now I'm not saying it will happen, but the feeling I get is LO is on a mission to continue what he started last season pre-knee injury. That is make the all-star team and have an all-star impact when he plays.

We'll see what happens, one of the things I know for sure we'll be better at is defense with him. Luke is playing well, but in the last 2 wins we didn't face a great swingman. I really believe had Lamar been in there against Houston, T-Mac and Battier don't have the games they did and we beat them. Odom is our best matchup to make the elite/all-star caliber SF's work.

But I agree that Phil needs to bring him in slowly. I'd speculate that Lamar is going to practice the whole week with this team before he plays.

I agree Wolf, last time I mentioned on this board that LO would improve our D against tougher swingmen I was laughed at. But I stand by that.

I'd really like to see LO get that all-star vote. It's gonna be a fun year.
ryuvienco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Nice recap DB. Great game last night. I hope they can keep it up and be solid everynight. They don't have to be spectacular.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: