JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 11/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
they-perch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject:

KOBE 2.0 wrote:
I don't think Crittenton is part of the long-term plan In fact I think the Lakers are gonna try to package him during this season to see what they can get.

Possibly, he has good value and could return us a decent player if packaged. However i think the lakers like what they see in crittenton. Think about how good this team could be with either of these lineups.

Big: Bynum/Turiaf/Odom/Kobe/Farmar
Small: Bynum/Odom/Kobe/Crittenton/farmar

Either of those lineups would be great on the floor, and by next season Crittenton will really be looking good out there. Only reason he isn't playing as much right now is a combo of Farmar and Fish playing well, and Phil wanting crittenton to understand that he needs to earn his minutes. mainly I think its a mental game, phil trying to instill it in this kid that he needs to work hard.

I think by mid season Phil will realize that Evans just wont cut it out there. Evans has mediocre defense aside from his hustle, he is either on or off from outside, He can't handle the basketball, and has trouble finishing inside.

I say within a month or two Evans permanently loses his spot in the lineup to Crittenton or Sasha.
Fearthefearer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

They got AK-47, we got A-Bomb.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 11/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

jbjb wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
[b]Luke -- -- Luke made the defense work ...

DB, please excuse my stupidity but I missed the game. Could this be true: "Luke made the defense work"? As in the Lakers' defense worked because Luke as in the game? Or do you mean the Jazz defense had to work because of Luke? Or did Luke make the offense work, and play his usual level of defense?

Thanks for another great write up!

I have been hard on Luke's D in the past so I have been following that aspect of his game very closely this season.

I have to say, he has been playing significantly better defense so far this year, it is light years improved from last year. I didn't think he had it in him, but it just shows that playing hard and with effort overcomes a lot of physical shortcomings on the defensive end. He has been playing very hard, nice to see.

Keep it up Luke!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:

^He played just as good man D earlier last year IMO, but his team D and scrappiness has improved... I think its easy to forget how hobbled Luke was when he came back from injury.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Part of the reason I think they are holding LO out so long is just that, Rick. They want him as close to 100% as possible, and himself the same.

Now I'm not saying it will happen, but the feeling I get is LO is on a mission to continue what he started last season pre-knee injury. That is make the all-star team and have an all-star impact when he plays.

We'll see what happens, one of the things I know for sure we'll be better at is defense with him. Luke is playing well, but in the last 2 wins we didn't face a great swingman. I really believe had Lamar been in there against Houston, T-Mac and Battier don't have the games they did and we beat them. Odom is our best matchup to make the elite/all-star caliber SF's work.

But I agree that Phil needs to bring him in slowly. I'd speculate that Lamar is going to practice the whole week with this team before he plays.

I agree Wolf, last time I mentioned on this board that LO would improve our D against tougher swingmen I was laughed at. But I stand by that.

I'd really like to see LO get that all-star vote. It's gonna be a fun year.

you know. i was making this argument since the day we traded for him, but we never had the personnel to take advantage of odom's length. with bynum and turiaf active at the 4 and the 5, perhaps we can see odom's length on help defense and rebouding used fully.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:

I'd really like to see LO get that all-star vote. It's gonna be a fun year.

Bynum will probably be in all-star voting (at least) as well. I wonder if Lakers will be the team that regularly brings an all-star off the bench...
NatureBoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject:

Bynum will never be an All-Star starting center in the West. There's a guy called Ming, Yao who has all of China on his side.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Farmar's 4th Takeover

Kobe blocks AK47s Dunk

Game Highlights

Lakers are playing like it's last November.... NICE!!!!! I so wish we could revisit that Houston....

Thanks. I added a couple the links into the report.

I'd love to be able to do that everytime.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Offensively, this Fish we’re seeing is light years ahead of the old Fish. The old Fish was basically just a spot-up shooter. However, the new Fish makes thing happen in the triangle offense for others as well as himself. When you have 3 wings (Kobe, Fish and Luke) who know the offense and move the ball with a purpose, only good things can happen. Last year, we saw glimpses of this type of ball movement when Luke, Lamar and Kobe were healthy, but Smush was always a flow killer. In Fish, we have a guy who knows where everyone is supposed to be, and with the activity that bigs like Drew, Kwame, Ronnie and Vlad provide, Fish is reading the floor well and delivering some beautiful passes. As far as scoring goes, I love the fact that Fish is attacking the rim when he sees the opportunity, and as a result, he’s getting to the line a lot. When you add these new offensive elements to perimeter shooting that we expect from Fish, you can see how much of an upgrade Fish has been on the offensive end.

Nice post, RCS. I'll give you my annual stab at coming off the bench for me one of these games and doing the Thoughts and Ratings. It's a long season and I could use a couple breaks.

Fish definitely seems much more aggressive in how he is running the Tri. Granted, he had both Shaq and Kobe who were options 1A and 1B, so that comes to play. His passing and reads within the offense were always top notch, especially on some of the sequences to Shaq. But he's playing a bit more dynamic right now. And the trio of Luke, Kobe and Fish, as I mentioned is making the offense thrive at times.

I know there's a lot of concern for LO mucking up the works, but he has some sequences in the offense that he's especially good at. Once he gets a few games under his belt, I think we'll have 4 Tri vets who can really work the offense. To me, that always made a difference since they can kind of push that 5th player into position a lot easier. Hopefully, we'll see some more of the counters and deeper sequences that the offense isn't running yet.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject:

NatureBoy wrote:
Bynum will never be an All-Star starting center in the West. There's a guy called Ming, Yao who has all of China on his side.

Yeah, sure. Not this year. But beware when you say "never". How much older Yao is compared to Bynum? In five year from now.... Who knows?
And I never said an all-star starter. Still, I would not be surprised if he ended up playing in all-star game. He sure has a chance (unlike Kwame).
NatureBoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
NatureBoy wrote:

Yeah, sure. Not this year. But beware when you say "never". How much older Yao is compared to Bynum? In five year from now.... Who knows?
And I never said an all-star starter. Still, I would not be surprised if he ended up playing in all-star game. He sure has a chance (unlike Kwame).

Yao will probably play in the NBA for at least another 10 years. I don't see China turning their back on their own countryman to vote for Bynum. If Andrew plays in an All-Star game, it will be via the coaches' votes.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Offensively, this Fish we’re seeing is light years ahead of the old Fish. The old Fish was basically just a spot-up shooter. However, the new Fish makes thing happen in the triangle offense for others as well as himself. When you have 3 wings (Kobe, Fish and Luke) who know the offense and move the ball with a purpose, only good things can happen. Last year, we saw glimpses of this type of ball movement when Luke, Lamar and Kobe were healthy, but Smush was always a flow killer. In Fish, we have a guy who knows where everyone is supposed to be, and with the activity that bigs like Drew, Kwame, Ronnie and Vlad provide, Fish is reading the floor well and delivering some beautiful passes. As far as scoring goes, I love the fact that Fish is attacking the rim when he sees the opportunity, and as a result, he’s getting to the line a lot. When you add these new offensive elements to perimeter shooting that we expect from Fish, you can see how much of an upgrade Fish has been on the offensive end.
Nice post, RCS. I'll give you my annual stab at coming off the bench for me one of these games and doing the Thoughts and Ratings. It's a long season and I could use a couple breaks. Fish definitely seems much more aggressive in how he is running the Tri. Granted, he had both Shaq and Kobe who were options 1A and 1B, so that comes to play. His passing and reads within the offense were always top notch, especially on some of the sequences to Shaq. But he's playing a bit more dynamic right now. And the trio of Luke, Kobe and Fish, as I mentioned is making the offense thrive at times. I know there's a lot of concern for LO mucking up the works, but he has some sequences in the offense that he's especially good at. Once he gets a few games under his belt, I think we'll have 4 Tri vets who can really work the offense. To me, that always made a difference since they can kind of push that 5th player into position a lot easier. Hopefully, we'll see some more of the counters and deeper sequences that the offense isn't running yet.
I agree that RCS deserves a chance to come off the bench with the game breakdowns.

DFish - He has replaced a defective "sparkplug" (Smush) that constantly gums up the engine with an effective "sparkplug." It is amazing what happens if a proficient/effective PG replaces a constantly sleeping distraction that allows the other players a chance to settle into their respective roles.

Luke's Defense - Within an effective team concept, along with being healthy, he has shown the ability to not be a liability while providing key stops when not overmatched.

LO's Length - Bynum/LO/Luke/Kobe/Fish is a lineup that can sneak up on teams.

Maybe the Lakers will continue the L.A. Times' Helene Elliot's observation of a team that shares and cares - could it be so?!?!?!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

Nice post, RCS. I'll give you my annual stab at coming off the bench for me one of these games and doing the Thoughts and Ratings. It's a long season and I could use a couple breaks.

Fish definitely seems much more aggressive in how he is running the Tri. Granted, he had both Shaq and Kobe who were options 1A and 1B, so that comes to play. His passing and reads within the offense were always top notch, especially on some of the sequences to Shaq. But he's playing a bit more dynamic right now. And the trio of Luke, Kobe and Fish, as I mentioned is making the offense thrive at times.

I know there's a lot of concern for LO mucking up the works, but he has some sequences in the offense that he's especially good at. Once he gets a few games under his belt, I think we'll have 4 Tri vets who can really work the offense. To me, that always made a difference since they can kind of push that 5th player into position a lot easier. Hopefully, we'll see some more of the counters and deeper sequences that the offense isn't running yet.

Sorry DB. I know we go through this every year. Every year you ask if I'd like to pinch hit for you, and every year I tell you that it's something I'd definitely love to do. However, it hasn't happened yet. This year, I'm going to have to decline your invitation because I have too many things going on right now. I have a new job, and my wife are trying to start a new family. Between those 2 aspects of my life, there's not much time to do other things.

At any rate, when I wrote up by thoughts on Kobe and Fish, I had planned on doing it for the entire team. However, I experienced a bit of mental fatigue afterwards and decided put off analyzing the rest of the team. I can only imagine how mentally exhausting it must be for you to write up your thoughts and smiley ratings after EVERY SINGLE Lakers game.

I'd really love to relieve you of some of that burden, but I can't commit to anything right now. Who knows? Maybe, I'll surprise you one of these days. Anyway, keep up the great work buddy. I enjoy reading your thoughts and analyses...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

No problem. Just had to get that out of the way for the season.

(And good luck on the family starting )
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: JAZZ -at- LAKERS - 11/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

LakerLanny wrote:
jbjb wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
[b]Luke -- -- Luke made the defense work ...

DB, please excuse my stupidity but I missed the game. Could this be true: "Luke made the defense work"? As in the Lakers' defense worked because Luke as in the game? Or do you mean the Jazz defense had to work because of Luke? Or did Luke make the offense work, and play his usual level of defense?

Thanks for another great write up!

I have been hard on Luke's D in the past so I have been following that aspect of his game very closely this season.

I have to say, he has been playing significantly better defense so far this year, it is light years improved from last year. I didn't think he had it in him, but it just shows that playing hard and with effort overcomes a lot of physical shortcomings on the defensive end. He has been playing very hard, nice to see.

Keep it up Luke!

A player plays HARDER after signing a lucrative contract in the offseason? Whoa. Props to Luke.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
No problem. Just had to get that out of the way for the season.

(And good luck on the family starting )

Thanks. It's not as automatic as I thought it would be, but I don't have problems with going through process again and again until we get it right...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: