Encina1 hahahahahahaha

On topic - BluRay ftw!
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheels of life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Laserdisc, baby!

May Jerry Buss drink the blood of every Celtic, Sp*r and Phoenix team player!

January 20, 2009<------- When John McCain is sworn in as President.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Betamax baby
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Betamax baby

That's not a disc!

lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Stick a fork in HD DVD.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject:

I saw a chart and with the WB going Blu-ray exclusive, it looks like studio content is about 70-30 now, Blu-ray only.

It really only is a matter of time before HD DVD goes away. Especially with the prices of Blu Ray DVD players going down.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:

Got my Toshiba A3 for $180, Blu-ray can't touch that.

I have not bought any HD movies because I wanted to see what would happen. I got the A3 because it is great up-converting all my SD movies.

If Blu-ray ever drops below $200 for a decent player I will give it a look.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

I have not bought any HD movies because I wanted to see what would happen. I got the A3 because it is great up-converting all my SD movies.

This is the same route I have taken. I will probably wait about going to Blu-Ray maybe when I get my next HD TV.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject:

I'm getting a Blu-Ray player, pending whatever info comes out of CES. But the content can wait. Gonna be exclusively NetFlix for a while, so I don't end up owning a bunch of useless media.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

The rumor is that at CES you'll begin to see sub $200 Blu Ray players.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Also learned at the CES, XBox Live has more HD content than any cable provider:

Quote:
By Monica Bertran and Dina Bass
Jan. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp., the software maker that yesterday announced partnerships with Walt Disney Co. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., offers more on-demand high-definition programming than any cable provider, a company executive said.

Microsoft sells television shows and movies from 35 content providers as part of an online service for its Xbox video-game machine, entertainment division president Robbie Bach told Bloomberg Television today. The agreements bolster the Redmond, Washington-based company's competition with Apple Inc.'s iTunes service.

``It's really our way to reach out to consumers and help them put high-definition content on their TV,'' he said in an interview from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

And Apple:

Quote:
Apple Closes In on Hollywood
Steve Jobs is negotiating with the big studios to offer more movies for sale and rental on iTunes, but both sides will have to give a little
by Ronald Grover

It has been Hollywood's worst-kept secret: Steve Jobs is starting to win over the film industry.

The Apple (AAPL) CEO who all but invented the digital music marketplace with the iPod and iTunes has found the going far more difficult in the video market. The Apple TV set-top box launched last year has been a dud, and the limited selection of movies on iTunes has prevented film downloads from becoming another smash hit like music.

But the buzz is heavy that Jobs and most of the big studios are nearing compromise on key sticking points that have prevented iTunes from offering most of the new and old movie titles consumers see at Blockbuster (BBI), Netflix (NFLX), and Wal-Mart Stores (WMT). Studio executives, forced into silence by Apple's ultra-uptight nondisclosure agreements, aren't talking, and neither is Apple.

Possible Pricing and Timing Concessions
BusinessWeek has learned that Apple is close to nailing down agreements with most of the big studios, though not all may be ready to announce by the time Jobs takes the stage on Jan. 15 at the annual Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco.

The betting is that Jobs, who previously balked at paying the studios more than $14 for each movie sold through iTunes, has agreed to pay closer to the $17 wholesale price Hollywood gets from "physical" DVD sales by Wal-Mart and other retailers. Some of the studios, meanwhile, appear to be backing down from their refusal to allow online downloads of new movies until a month or so after DVDs of those films arrive at stores.

A breakthrough with the movie studios could provide a badly needed boost for Apple TV, which has been roundly criticized for shortcomings beyond iTunes' limited film selection. The device, which streams video and music on a home computer's hard drive to a TV or home theater, suffers from poor audio and visual quality compared with rival products. Apple TV doesn't play video from many sites other than YouTube. The device isn't even integrated closely enough with iTunes to enable users to browse and download video content directly from a TV instead of using a computer first. The next iteration of Apple TV is expected to address a number of these shortcomings, but a wider selection of films on iTunes would certainly help. At last count, Apple had sold just 2 million movies on iTunes, compared with 100 million TV shows and more than 1 billion songs.

For Sale and For Rent
The Financial Times reported on Dec. 26 that Apple has already signed an agreement with at least one studio, Twentieth Century Fox (NWS), to offer rental downloads of its movies. Now sources tell BusinessWeek Apple is nearing deals with Warner Bros. (TWX), Paramount Pictures (VIA), and Lionsgate (LGF) to allow movie sales, rentals, or both through iTunes.

To jump-start his video business, Jobs needs studios to supply newly released films for both "sell-through" to consumers and rental. Currently, iTunes sells recently released movies from Disney (DIS) for $14.99 and older titles from studios such as Lionsgate for $9.99. Sources say Apple plans to charge $3.99 a pop for 24-hour rentals. Since Apple may agree to pay closer to the $17 wholesale price paid by other retailers, it's unclear whether iTunes might boost the price or take a small loss to help drive sales of Apple TV boxes and video iPod players.

www.businessweek.com/print/technology/content/jan2008/tc2008016_825385.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm stoked! I just got a DVD player with Divx decoding. Not that i've downloaded any of that pirated stuff.

The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Got a PS3 for christmas. I got it for the games but i got Underworld and the Fifth Element on Blue Ray, I finally got around to watching scenes from both of them and I have to say it really is amazingly clear.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
I want movies just downloaded and streamed straight into my brain

I get those nightly. Sometimes with plots. Although, frequently very random.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
encina1 wrote:

CGI squirrels?
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Me too. But I can never remember them the next morning. And I'm usually not sure what they mean....
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject:

Another reason to choose Blu-Ray (via PS3):

Quote:
With all the lofty goals that Sony had for the PlayStation Portable at its inception, it's surprising to see just how much functionality Sony's beautiful black handheld has been able to provide. Between the expansive remote play options, Internet radio, browsing, and GPS tools, and now even Skype calling, the PSP is quite a handy little system. While the UMD format of videos may have failed, it seems Sony has an ace up its sleeve for future video content on the PSP: owners of a PlayStation 3 will soon be able to copy a lower resolution, portable version of their Blu-ray movies onto their PSPs.

link...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

With all the lofty goals that Sony had for the PlayStation Portable at its inception, it's surprising to see just how much functionality Sony's beautiful black handheld has been able to provide. Between the expansive remote play options, Internet radio, browsing, and GPS tools, and now even Skype calling, the PSP is quite a handy little system. While the UMD format of videos may have failed, it seems Sony has an ace up its sleeve for future video content on the PSP: owners of a PlayStation 3 will soon be able to copy a lower resolution, portable version of their Blu-ray movies onto their PSPs.

See, that is what I was waiting for. The only reason I did not like the PSP is because you would have to buy an entirely new library of everything. If there were a way to play my PS games and movies on there, the way I could transfer my own music on there, it would be worth it.

But this is good news. I still won't buy one yet, but it is good to hear.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
TACH wrote:

See, that is what I was waiting for. The only reason I did not like the PSP is because you would have to buy an entirely new library of everything. If there were a way to play my PS games and movies on there, the way I could transfer my own music on there, it would be worth it.

But this is good news. I still won't buy one yet, but it is good to hear.

I also read (PC World) that you will be able to move the movie to the PSP and/or memory stick.

I wonder if there would be any issue with converting that movie so it plays on an iPod?

Also, I want to know what the file size is after converting it for a PSP?
21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Don't matter... streaming is the future... check out the latest offerings from LG and Neflix? Or XBL? Or Playstation Home? Or Apple/iTunes? Or Amazon/Unbox and Tivo?

Finally someone who gets it

Within 5 years, we will probably 80% digital media. The time for the 'Early Apodters' is this year. Netflix is already releasing a box later this year for HD downloads.

kevin wrote:
I saw a chart and with the WB going Blu-ray exclusive, it looks like studio content is about 70-30 now, Blu-ray only.

It really only is a matter of time before HD DVD goes away. Especially with the prices of Blu Ray DVD players going down.

When you says 70-30, you do realize thats about 1% of the total market, right? It's only a matter of time before Blu Ray goes away. DVD is still destroying Blu Ray/HD-DVD combined and won't be going away anytime soon. By the time DVD dies off, we will be completely digital which will revert Blu Ray to 'laserdisk' status.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Now that HD-DVD is looking dead, should we expect to see HD-DVD-only titles translated to Blu-ray? Any HD-DVD-only titles out there worth mentioning other than Transformers?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Went Blue-Ray today . . . got a Sony Aquos Blue-Ray player for free by buting a 42" Aquos 1080p LCD.

It also looks like many retailers have essentially decided that HD-DVD really is dead . . . they are dropping prices like crazy - probably trying to dump stock before people catch on.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Went Blue-Ray today . . . got a Sony Aquos Blue-Ray player for free by buting a 42" Aquos 1080p LCD.

It also looks like many retailers have essentially decided that HD-DVD really is dead . . . they are dropping prices like crazy - probably trying to dump stock before people catch on.

Nice TV set.

LGD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Got a Panasonic blu-ray player two weeks ago free after buying a 50-inch 1080p plasma. And I'm not gonna lie. It's really difficult watching dvds after seeing 300 on blu-ray. It's just so much better in every way..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8
Jump to: