HD-DVD
46%
 46%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 43

Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

When was the sale for HD DVD players for $99?

The best I seen was like $167 at CC.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:

The sale was last Friday. In order to grab one, you had to be there when the store opened. The store I went to only had 9, and they were way gone by the time I got there.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Quote:
Format war fanboys shut down AVS Forum

Anyone who's ever visited AVS Forum--probably the largest online forum for audio/visual discussion--knows that people can get carried away. And anyone who has dared to venture in the HD DVD and Blu-ray forum is well aware of rampant fanboy flame wars--the kind that used to be reserved for game consoles.

Well apparently a couple of the AV geeks have gone too far, which has led to AVS Forum moderators to completely shut down the HD DVD and Blu-ray forums until the end of the week. And in case you think it's an overreaction, check out this quote from the letter they posted to AVS members:

We have seen members attacking other members not only in debate, which is the right way, but with physical threats that have involved police and possible legal action.

Wow. The format war has gotten pretty ugly between Blu-ray and HD DVD, but this is the first instance of physical threats that we're aware of. We're also sure it's no coincidence this shutdown has occurred directly following the $99 HD DVD player sale at Wal-Mart and Best Buy--which is just like pouring gasoline on the already raging flame wars.

Since AVS Forum is always an interesting place to see exactly what's brewing in the rumor mill, let's hope cooler heads prevail so everyone can get back to discussing the new high-def disc formats.

Nerd Fight!!!!!

, wow and we think we throw it down on L.G.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
Lakersfield wrote:

The sale was last Friday. In order to grab one, you had to be there when the store opened. The store I went to only had 9, and they were way gone by the time I got there.

It will happen again before the year is over. The best HD DVD player Toshiba had to offer was on sale in Fryes also, for the same 98 dollars.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071109/ap_on_hi_te/sony_ceo

Sony CEO sees 'stalemate' in disc fight.

"It doesn't mean as much as all that," Stringer said. He added that he believed there was an opportunity of uniting the two camps under one format before he became CEO, and he wishes he could travel back in time to make that happen

Ouch, coming from sony thats significant seeing as how they have been declaring HD DVD dead for months now. Its estimated 90,000 players were sold among walmart,circuit city and best buy with a few other places. Doesnt include online retailers either. With another sale due before the year is over. Blu Ray has dropped their samsung player from 399 too 377 to combat.
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:

"It doesn't mean as much as all that," Stringer said. He added that he believed there was an opportunity of uniting the two camps under one format before he became CEO, and he wishes he could travel back in time to make that happen

Ouch, coming from sony thats significant seeing as how they have been declaring HD DVD dead for months now. Its estimated 90,000 players were sold among walmart,circuit city and best buy with a few other places. Doesnt include online retailers either. With another sale due before the year is over. Blu Ray has dropped their samsung player from 399 too 377 to combat.

Which Samsung player and where can one get for $377?
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I missed last weeks sale for HD DVD players and I went into BB last night and see if could get one for the sale price. They had 3 units left and there was about 20-30 Blu Ray units. I just left w/o asking, there was no way they would honor the sale price. I guess will wait for next sale.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:

I actually mad a mistake in that post, it isnt a permant price drop, thought those prices will be available. Its supposed to be a black friday sale with the these prices "CC has the Samsung 1400 for $377 on Black Friday, and BB has it for $399." I dont have a specific link for it, but if you checkout BB or Circuity Citys black friday deals it should be somewhere.

* I wouldnt recomended buying that probably, ide guess its a lowend/old generation blu ray player. So its probably not up to date with teh Blu Ray software, like all future disc may or may not play on it, do some research. Buying a ps3 is probably the best option, its the best Blu Ray player available.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:

If you're willing to spend that kinda money, might as well buy the $400 version of the PS3.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject:

bluray. Not by a lot but its definately a bit better

The lakers will get prince.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:

Have to remember though that most of those cheap HD-DVD players selling for under $100 only output a progressive scan of 720, as opposed to the higher models going at 1080p.

So far the cheapest 1080p HD-DVD player I know of is the add-on for the Xbox 360 which sells for $179.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject:

hi_ma wrote:
bluray. Not by a lot but its definately a bit better

QFT
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Lakersfield wrote:

Have to remember though that most of those cheap HD-DVD players selling for under $100 only output a progressive scan of 720, as opposed to the higher models going at 1080p.

So far the cheapest 1080p HD-DVD player I know of is the add-on for the Xbox 360 which sells for $179.

The one I got for 98 dollars outputs to 1080.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject:

jamas33 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Lakersfield wrote:

The one I got for 98 dollars outputs to 1080.

1080i or 1080p?

If you get 1080p then good for you!
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Lakersfield wrote:

Best my TV will do is 1080i. So an A2 or A3 will be fine. I just don't want to invest a lot money that will be obsolete in months. The reviews I read say the 1080i mode on a 1080P player is not good. So why pay more now when I can buy it later for less when I am ready for an 1080P TV.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Lakersfield wrote:

Best my TV will do is 1080i. So an A2 or A3 will be fine. I just don't want to invest a lot money that will be obsolete in months. The reviews I read say the 1080i mode on a 1080P player is not good. So why pay more now when I can buy it later for less when I am ready for an 1080P TV.
With a 1080i that means your TV can output a progressive scan of 720 right?

If that's the case, you can just have your player output a 720p signal to your TV as opposed to 1080i that way your player can still stream progressive. A lot of people are even saying 720p > 1080i and usually HDTV's that output 720p have 1080i and vice-versa.
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:

I have a 1080p TV and a 1080p DVD. Damn it looks good.. but I was just telling my friend. He has the 720p Panasonic Plasma. He has a friend that started telling him about the 1080p sets and how it makes the 720p look bad.. blah blah blah.. you guys have friends like this right? one that always tries to rain on your parade.. No matter how great you have it, they will find flaws or something better... But anyway.. I told him... The HUMAN Eye can only see and process so much... If he puts his tv by his window.. and compare the grass he sees on his tv and the real grass outside.. is there a difference? answer NO.
Here is an article that might help

reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-5798551-1.html
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject:

jamas33 wrote:
I have a 1080p TV and a 1080p DVD. Damn it looks good.. but I was just telling my friend. He has the 720p Panasonic Plasma. He has a friend that started telling him about the 1080p sets and how it makes the 720p look bad.. blah blah blah.. you guys have friends like this right? one that always tries to rain on your parade.. No matter how great you have it, they will find flaws or something better... But anyway.. I told him... The HUMAN Eye can only see and process so much... If he puts his tv by his window.. and compare the grass he sees on his tv and the real grass outside.. is there a difference? answer NO.
Here is an article that might help

reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-5798551-1.html

Yea the gap between 720 p , 1080i and 1080p isnt much to brag about, its not like one is HD quality and the other isnt. For videophiles who can pick apart this stuff im sure they can make a case but again, thats why their videophiles. For the mass i dont think they give a damn about it once its HD, unless you can afford the best and greatest around, then hell why not get it. But other than that, i dont see a great difference. Their still people who argue the HD and regular TV difference, suprising but true. Thats another reason why High def movies are taking long to catch on.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject:

Blu-ray outsells HD DVD format in Europe

http://www.news.com/Blu-ray-outsells-HD-DVD-format-in-Europe/2100-1041_3-6220221.html?tag=nefd.top
Alpha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
TACH wrote:
Quote:
Format war fanboys shut down AVS Forum

Anyone who's ever visited AVS Forum--probably the largest online forum for audio/visual discussion--knows that people can get carried away. And anyone who has dared to venture in the HD DVD and Blu-ray forum is well aware of rampant fanboy flame wars--the kind that used to be reserved for game consoles.

Well apparently a couple of the AV geeks have gone too far, which has led to AVS Forum moderators to completely shut down the HD DVD and Blu-ray forums until the end of the week. And in case you think it's an overreaction, check out this quote from the letter they posted to AVS members:

We have seen members attacking other members not only in debate, which is the right way, but with physical threats that have involved police and possible legal action.

Wow. The format war has gotten pretty ugly between Blu-ray and HD DVD, but this is the first instance of physical threats that we're aware of. We're also sure it's no coincidence this shutdown has occurred directly following the $99 HD DVD player sale at Wal-Mart and Best Buy--which is just like pouring gasoline on the already raging flame wars.

Since AVS Forum is always an interesting place to see exactly what's brewing in the rumor mill, let's hope cooler heads prevail so everyone can get back to discussing the new high-def disc formats.

Nerd Fight!!!!!

, wow and we think we throw it down on L.G.

don't even bring up the galleria sunglass hut incident to jamas
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Warner Bros drops HD DVD

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2008-01-04-warner-brothers-blu-ray_N.htm
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
Warner Bros drops HD DVD

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2008-01-04-warner-brothers-blu-ray_N.htm

Was just gunna post this aswell.

I think Blu-ray is starting to take the edge now.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Don't matter... streaming is the future... check out the latest offerings from LG and Neflix? Or XBL? Or Playstation Home? Or Apple/iTunes? Or Amazon/Unbox and Tivo?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Don't matter... streaming is the future... check out the latest offerings from LG and Neflix? Or XBL? Or Playstation Home? Or Apple/iTunes? Or Amazon/Unbox and Tivo?

I hope one of these two formats eventually kills the other one, so we can all move on. But ultimately I think optical media is going to go away.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject:

I want movies just downloaded and streamed straight into my brain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8
Jump to: