Pizza Joints! List Your Best Spots!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject:

if your in the Valley, you got to go to paoli's. amazing deep-dish pizza. closest thing to great chicago style pizza on this coast.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject:

This place: LINK
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Ok, I was going to start this thread if Luxury didn't. The other threads were great, but let's face it, L.A. knows how to do hot dogs and burgers. We could even throw in tacos and donuts and sit here all day talking about it.

When it comes to pizza, things are a little bleaker.

For me, NY style pizza is where it's at. You can keep your Chicago deep dish. The problem of course is where to find such a beast in The City of Angels. Of course there are the big national chains. Might as well just spread some ketchup on a hunk of cardboard. I've had pizza at Costco, as unlikely a place as that might be, and that stuff holds up quite well, though it doesn't scratch that itch. California Pizza Kitchen is the only national chain worth knowing, but they do their stuff different. Good, but different. There are only two places I've been to that approach the quality I'm looking for.

Ameci's consistently delivers good stuff. It's a chain, but not a large one.
The other place is NYPD Pizza. I've eaten at the one in Burbank. This is a different chain than the one mentioned in Ann Arbor and it's got the goods as well. Both of these places are great pizza joints, but I've yet to find one that is comparable to the stuff I had while I was in the NYC.

I've seen Ameci's mentioned a couple of times here, so I'm gonna have to try it. I like NY style as well: thin crust. I will have to peep NYPizza as well.

Deep dish is cool if you're at a restaurant but at the crib, I wanna be able to function my pizza .
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject:

if in OC... Lampost...I've watch so many Laker games there..it's ridiculous...

Damn..I miss SoCal...
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Just so you know, Lux, my mental image of what you look like has come full circle. Initially, because of your choice of name, I imagined a dude with Al Roker's body, Al Green's voice, and Al Sharpton's perm wearing Buc Nasty's suit and hands full of fake ass gold rings. Then it sort of moved to just like a normal dude who balled a little bit and stayed in shape. But all these food threads have moved me back to the first one, only instead of Buc Nasty's suit, it's just a dirty wife beater with your gut hanging out the bottom.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Just so you know, Lux, my mental image of what you look like has come full circle. Initially, because of your choice of name, I imagined a dude with Al Roker's body, Al Green's voice, and Al Sharpton's perm wearing Buc Nasty's suit and hands full of fake ass gold rings. Then it sort of moved to just like a normal dude who balled a little bit and stayed in shape. But all these food threads have moved me back to the first one, only instead of Buc Nasty's suit, it's just a dirty wife beater with your gut hanging out the bottom.

Ok, not a bad attempt! But think Jerome Bettis/Ray Lewis mix: The broadness and facial appearance/structure of Jerome with the arms and shoulders appearance of Ray.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Exick wrote:

Ok, not a bad attempt! But think Jerome Bettis/Ray Lewis mix: The broadness and facial appearance/structure of Jerome with the arms and shoulders appearance of Ray.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pizza Joints! List Your Best Spots!

prisma8slg wrote:
encina1 wrote:

In Ann Arbor there is the NY Pizza Depot (NYPD), NY style pizza. Very yummy.

ohhh...the white pizza at nypd

The chicken pesto pizza is great, as is the 4-mushroom pie.

Have you tried the all-organic pizza next to sushi.com?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pizza Joints! List Your Best Spots!

encina1 wrote:
prisma8slg wrote:
encina1 wrote:

In Ann Arbor there is the NY Pizza Depot (NYPD), NY style pizza. Very yummy.

ohhh...the white pizza at nypd

The chicken pesto pizza is great, as is the 4-mushroom pie.

Have you tried the all-organic pizza next to sushi.com?
I'll have to try the chicken pesto, I wasn't overly impressed with the mushroom -- I waited too long to try it and it got too hyped up. I tried that other place once and I don't think I liked the sauce, maybe I'll try it again, I did like their soup.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:

In Chicago...Lou Malnati's. (From which, by the way, you can order the best frozen pizza you'll ever have.)

In Newport Coast, First Class Pizza makes a really good pizza. They also happen to be right where the Kobe video was shot.

I am also a sucker for the Pizza Margherita at Il Fornaio. Thin crust, northern Italian style I believe. Combine that with the Ensalada del Fornaio...I could live with that on a desert island if I had to.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Exick wrote:

LOL! Whuh?! It's TRUE!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
In Chicago...Lou Malnati's. (From which, by the way, you can order the best frozen pizza you'll ever have.)

In Newport Coast, First Class Pizza makes a really good pizza. They also happen to be right where the Kobe video was shot.

I am also a sucker for the Pizza Margherita at Il Fornaio. Thin crust, northern Italian style I believe. Combine that with the Ensalada del Fornaio...I could live with that on a desert island if I had to.

Where is that exactly? I'll be by Fashion Island in a couple of weeks, is it by there?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject:

You'll never get the two sides to agree, but Chicago and NY are the homes of great pizza (depending upon which style you prefer). With apologies to Exick, I'm a Chicago man (maybe since I was born just north of there).

Chicago Deep dish was invented in 1943 at a shop called Uno, owned by Ike Sewell. There is some dispute as to whether he or an employee, Rudy Malnati, is the inventor. They opened another restaurant called Due, also extremely good.

In 1954 a competitor named Gino's set up shop. They, along with Uno, Due, and Lou Malnati's, are favored by many "purists".

Rudy's son Lou opened his own chain, Lou Malnati's (now operated by the grandsons), which is also superb.

The largest seller of the massive pie is Giordanos (my fave, because of their crust). They are everywhere in Chicago, and I've heard they've opened store(s) in Phoenix (which is to Chicago as Miami is to NYC retirees). Lacking in the snob appeal of the "original" joints, manny many natives still pick theirs as the best.

You can't go wrong with any of them, and I know Girdano's and Malnati's will air freight a pie to you. There are many other, smaller places, and likely some of them are as good or better than those above. Just giving you what I know.

I can't give you the best NY joints, not being partial to the style, but I can tell you that everything you see in Cali is likely a poor bastard child of these two styles.

Possible exception is Zachary's in the Berkely/Oakland vicinity, which is very authentic (at least a couple years back) and quite good.
F.N.G.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
You'll never get the two sides to agree, but Chicago and NY are the homes of great pizza (depending upon which style you prefer). With apologies to Exick, I'm a Chicago man (maybe since I was born just north of there).

Chicago Deep dish was invented in 1943 at a shop called Uno, owned by Ike Sewell. There is some dispute as to whether he or an employee, Rudy Malnati, is the inventor. They opened another restaurant called Due, also extremely good.

In 1954 a competitor named Gino's set up shop. They, along with Uno, Due, and Lou Malnati's, are favored by many "purists".

Rudy's son Lou opened his own chain, Lou Malnati's (now operated by the grandsons), which is also superb.

The largest seller of the massive pie is Giordanos (my fave, because of their crust). They are everywhere in Chicago, and I've heard they've opened store(s) in Phoenix (which is to Chicago as Miami is to NYC retirees). Lacking in the snob appeal of the "original" joints, manny many natives still pick theirs as the best.

You can't go wrong with any of them, and I know Girdano's and Malnati's will air freight a pie to you. There are many other, smaller places, and likely some of them are as good or better than those above. Just giving you what I know.

I can't give you the best NY joints, not being partial to the style, but I can tell you that everything you see in Cali is likely a poor bastard child of these two styles.

Possible exception is Zachary's in the Berkely/Oakland vicinity, which is very authentic (at least a couple years back) and quite good.

I had a friend that I worked with in San Francisco (which is irrelevant). Anyway, he was from Chicago. He used to swear, about how good Pizzeria Due was. Finally, we got Pizzeria Due to Air Freight a pie to SF...and it was unbelievable. I don't know if they still Air Freight pizza from Due's but if they do, it's worth it!!!

Last edited by F.N.G. on Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

I've had both Girdano's and Malnati's airshiped to me.... if you want Chicago pie that bad, don't do Girdano's by mail. It just doesn't cook well after being frozen. Malnati's is really tasty even after being cooked frozen, but it is espensive and still not entirely like the original.

If in Chicago though, Girdano's is my choice.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Agree with all that. I don't understand why we can't get a superb pizza place out here.

I'll take NY or Chicago style. Don't matter to me if it's done right. I'll go to any of those places when I'm in Chicago. Eat pizza two days straight even. I've had Lou Malnati's shipped frozen on occasion.

I've also had Shakespear's pizza from Columbia, MO and my old J-School hangout shipped out here. Ate there a lot with their addictive wheat crust.

Neither is as good as eating it there, but sometimes you gotta have that fix.

There was a place in Atlanta called Rocky's Brick Oven Pizzeria in Atlanta that was some of the best pizza I ever had. Used to go there all the time about 15 years ago. Then the owner killed himself a few years ago and that ended that.

Best pizza I eat these days my wife makes. Gets the crust from Trader Joes. Whips up some good garlic tomato sauce on there. Some top quality pepperoni. Mmmm.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Thx for that - I'm heading to Chicago next weekend (Wrigley on Saturday, Soldier Field on Sunday - going to see my Cowboys!) and was looking for some good tips. PIZZA is my fav food (although I can't eat it as often as I used to).
Nudizl_Forshizl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Joe Peep's in NoHo/Studio City.

Unfadable.
Kobe_Please_Stay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Mr. K's pizza in Glendale...

Must try: Pastrami Sandwhich, Ham and Cheese Sandwhich, Calzone, and their Greek Salad...WOW WOW WOW!!! Get a nice pitcher of beer while your there, and they have a decent size TV where you can watch the Laker Games...WOOT WOOT!!!
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject:

I forgot
Cento & Fanti

Link
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Nudizl_Forshizl wrote:

Unfadable.

Have you tried their giant pizza? Took me and the fellas 2 days to polish it off.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject:

i tried many expensive pizzas and was disappointed
Nudizl_Forshizl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Nudizl_Forshizl wrote:

Unfadable.

Have you tried their giant pizza? Took me and the fellas 2 days to polish it off.

What is this giant pizza you speak of?!

I basically get the same thing every time, large pizza with garlic, sauteed mushrooms and artichoke hearts, all heavy toppings.

Looks like I have plans for dinner Sunday night
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject:

Will this morph into what your favorite toppings are?

I like white pizzas. Or pizzas with chicken and spinach or artichoke hearts and feta on mine. Regular pizzas with tomato sauce and pepperoni are boring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject:

most of the time, I'd rather order cheesebread than pizza. I can make my own pizza but have issues with cheesebread.

white pizza's are tasty. I like the margherita style as well. my standard pizza is usually topped with: mushrooms, onion, green peppers, pineapple and black olives.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: