Help write a set of LG community standards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swcom120
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
swcom120 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
prisma8slg wrote:
If you have to put "OT" in the thread title, then it doesn't belong in that forum.

The URL feature: learn it, use it, love it

Thank you! That's the pet peeve of ALL pet peeves - Von Wafer & Smush are NO LONGER LAKERS...They shouldn't have a thread in the LAKER FORUM!

Let's end the "He USED to play for us so therefore this thread goes in the Laker Forum" posting completely!

We don't care what Eddie Jones is doing anymore!

I agree with most of the suggestions that have been made in this thread already. Although im not sure about this one. I dont mind hearing about guys like horry in the lounge. Now smush I could care less about. But I think if its clearly stated in the title who its about, then you click on it if you want. I think the lounge should be for laker players. past or present

But that's just it...they're no longer Lakers. Move on. It's a General NBA thread. Don't clutter-up the Laker Lounge with it.

It's cool, if you want to know about former Lakers...then maybe there should be a Former Lakers Lounge.

Im sorry, players like Magic and Kareem dont belong in the General Forum.
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject:

swcom120 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
swcom120 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
prisma8slg wrote:
If you have to put "OT" in the thread title, then it doesn't belong in that forum.

Thank you! That's the pet peeve of ALL pet peeves - Von Wafer & Smush are NO LONGER LAKERS...They shouldn't have a thread in the LAKER FORUM!

Let's end the "He USED to play for us so therefore this thread goes in the Laker Forum" posting completely!

I agree with most of the suggestions that have been made in this thread already. Although im not sure about this one. I dont mind hearing about guys like horry in the lounge. Now smush I could care less about. But I think if its clearly stated in the title who its about, then you click on it if you want. I think the lounge should be for laker players. past or present

But that's just it...they're no longer Lakers. Move on. It's a General NBA thread. Don't clutter-up the Laker Lounge with it.

It's cool, if you want to know about former Lakers...then maybe there should be a Former Lakers Lounge.

Hence the reason he suggested a Former Lakers Lounge..
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject:

swcom120 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
swcom120 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
prisma8slg wrote:

I never said put them in General NBA. Fine, then maybe there should be a Laker Legend Lounge or Laker Legends can be the only ones threaded in the Laker Lounge...but scrubs like Smush, Von, Slava, and Vlade should be in the Former Lakers Lounge.

Last edited by LuxuryBrown on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Two things:

1. Don't post something from another message board and pass it off as fact or rumor... If someone posts a rumor that the Lakers are about to trade Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum for two 2nd round picks... don't start a thread that says "Rumor: Odom and Bynum for 2 picks"... Only post a topic with "rumor" if it comes from a legit source like a newspaper, ESPN, Fox Sports, or a Web site with credibility like Pincus's site.

2. If your post is based on an article, be sure to put that article title and the source as the subject. For example someone perfectly used "LA Times: Kobe on 'Kimmell': Is no news good news?" Don't use your own paraphrased version of the article... chances are you are missing a key point, or are swaying readers to think one thing, when the article is really mentioning something else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
ShotInTheDark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject:

It would be nice to have a 'Player Gossip' forum, so all the rumors and stories on players personal lives can be kept in one place, separated from meaningful discussion about the game of basketball.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
#1 - Thou shall not piss off the mods

Especially if one has the Joey Crawford complex.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Two things:

1. Don't post something from another message board and pass it off as fact or rumor... If someone posts a rumor that the Lakers are about to trade Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum for two 2nd round picks... don't start a thread that says "Rumor: Odom and Bynum for 2 picks"... Only post a topic with "rumor" if it comes from a legit source like a newspaper, ESPN, Fox Sports, or a Web site with credibility like Pincus's site.

2. If your post is based on an article, be sure to put that article title and the source as the subject. For example someone perfectly used "LA Times: Kobe on 'Kimmell': Is no news good news?" Don't use your own paraphrased version of the article... chances are you are missing a key point, or are swaying readers to think one thing, when the article is really mentioning something else.

Rumor definition: Gossip (usually a mixture of truth and untruth) passed around by word of mouth
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:

With all due respect...I think if you objectively mention the source and why you think it is valid that should be enough. Case in point. LG poster Pappy brought up the Garnett to Boston trade from a Celtic Nation site and surmised it as being legitimate and worthy of discussion. It beat the official announcement and tide wave by a considerable margin. I think intent and information offered mentioning the source should be enough. We can all decide for ourself after all we are here to provide insights and discourse, not just confirm so-called "legitimate" sources. What the hell really is legitimate?
After all Hoopsworld said Joey Crawford was reinstated yet it has never been really confirmed by anyone else that I know of or officially yet. True or not, he still didn't meet with Staern untill a month later yet Hoopsworld implied much earlier..

Of course I'll wait for any official verdict.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject:

VujacicFan wrote:
Please no more mindless Sasha bashing. I can take constructive criticisms for Sasha but please no more blind hate. Same goes for Cook.

Hate is not blind if justified by the actions of he/she being hated.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject:

My suggestion is for people to remember everyone has an opinion. This will allow us to have civil debates/conversations. Don't expect to change the mind of other posters no matter how many people jump in and deride that poster.

I have found the countless attacks against LuxuryBrown (whom I usually agree with) and Shoes have ruined many good threads. These are just examples.

Great thread.

Edit - Bring back Lakers999 - we need that sense of humor and craziness to balance out the negativity that is increasingly expressed here.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
VujacicFan wrote:
Please no more mindless Sasha bashing. I can take constructive criticisms for Sasha but please no more blind hate. Same goes for Cook.

Hate is not blind if justified by the actions of he/she being hated.

psydesho wrote:
Edit - Bring back Lakers999 - we need that sense of humor and craziness to balance out the negativity that is increasingly expressed here.

:roll:
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Rule #1 - Laker Lanny is always right

Rule #2 - Refer to Rule #1

AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Personally I'd like to see more respect between us all. Cmon, I know this should be implicit, and its been the subject of virtually all rules suggested here, but like 90% of the conflicts here come out of disrespect. Just cuz another poster doesnt think like you it doesnt make him an idiot. Nobody here is the truth's owner, and we should always be opened to people who think differently than ourselves, diversity is what makes life great.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I've got a couple suggestions, programming-wise (or moderator-wise) that I've seen on other boards that use the phpBB core programming that could help with some things around here:

1. Place some kind of limitations on the new members. Make it so you have to have been a registered member for 30 days before you can start a topic, or make it so you must have 100 posts before you can start a topic. Make it so that new members can only post X amount of times per day for the first month (or three months or whatever) that they're here, or so they can only post like 5 times an hour or something. This will hopefully encourage new members to get a better feel for how things are done around here before coming in and single-handedly disrupting the board with their newbie-ness.

2. Make it so when somebody quotes another poster, it only quotes the new text, not previous quotes as well. As I've seen other people say in this thread, oftentimes a thread grinds to a halt as two people endlessly quote something back and forth with each quoted section getting successively longer. I can't tell you how many interesting threads seem to lose all interest and participation from everyone else simply because it suddenly becomes so visually irritating. Placing the onus on individuals around here to go in and parse out all the previously quoted stuff I think confuses some posters who may not understand how to do that (if they can't figure out the URL function, they probably can't figure that out).

I think that especially doing #1 will help a great deal with all the other rules people are typing in here. If all the regs adhere to the things we've all seen that will make the board better, it can often go for naught when newbies come in and disrupt everything. Curb them and things will almost surely go smoother. This will also help with the people who are just blatant trolls, which thankfully I don't think has traditionally been too big of a problem around here; and it will come in handy on days when there is "big news" which may suddenly attract newbies to come talk about it.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject:

In this boring offseason, I don't mind reading things about our players that are not strictly basketball related. Did someone run into Sasha bowling? I'd like to read that because it would be a refreshing change from the same people hijacking every thread to pontificate.

What about just consolidating threads within the lounge, so you have a rumors thread, a Kobe thread, a PJ thread, a Mitch thread (I'll skip that one), etc. That way, if someone is not a fan of Kobe Bryant they can skip that thread altogether.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:

2. Make it so when somebody quotes another poster, it only quotes the new text, not previous quotes as well. As I've seen other people say in this thread, oftentimes a thread grinds to a halt as two people endlessly quote something back and forth with each quoted section getting successively longer. I can't tell you how many interesting threads seem to lose all interest and participation from everyone else simply because it suddenly becomes so visually irritating.

Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject:

My two contributions:

1. Don't start a poll unless there is really a good reason for it and unless you are capable of writing intelligent, fair choices. Otherwise, just express your opinion and leave the polls to Gallup.

2. Don't link every anti-Kobe, anti-Laker article on the internet. Some websites clearly exploit message boards by putting up occasional inflammatory posts (including one website that had a "Laker fans are stupid" article). They know that these articles will be linked on message boards, generating hundreds if not thousands of hits for their website. They are doing this to make money. If the article doesn't say something useful or interesting, don't link it.

In response to Walter Sobchak -- I disagree with basing any posting privileges on number of posts. Some people can literally crank out 100 posts in a day, most of them boring and repetitive. Other people don't post unless they have something worthwhile to say. Let's not reward the former and penalize the latter. Furthermore, if you set a 100 post threshold, you are encouraging junk posts by people trying to reach the threshold.

On the other hand, I strongly agree that the quoting function is often badly misused and makes a lot of threads hard to read.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Some good comments here. I wasn't sure where exactly this thread would go, but some of you have put in some quality effort...which when you think about it, is really most of what we want to accomplish.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

In response to Walter Sobchak -- I disagree with basing any posting privileges on number of posts. Some people can literally crank out 100 posts in a day, most of them boring and repetitive. Other people don't post unless they have something worthwhile to say. Let's not reward the former and penalize the latter. Furthermore, if you set a 100 post threshold, you are encouraging junk posts by people trying to reach the threshold.

not only that, it's not always new members that mis-post. it's often members that *know better*

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

not only that, it's not always new members that mis-post. it's often members that *know better*

Yup. The post count cant serve as a pattern. You have idiotic 5000+ guys and some nice guys at the Hundreds range.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:

Wow. The authoritarian instinct is really rearing its ugly head in this thread.

Bad ideas all around.

For instance, what's wrong with bumping an old thread (often someone will make a guarantee about something that will have come to fruition by a specified point in time) to disprove someone's theory/prediction. That's the beauty of the internet: if you put it in writing, you need to know that it's going to float somewhere in cyberspace for a long time and it could come back to bite you. It's distinctly different from, say, talk radio, where an anonymous dude makes an outlandish claim that will never come true, but there's no way to ever call him on it. Without the ability to revisit old threads, how do you ever evaluate a poster's credibility.

Second, why can't players be blasted? If someone thinks Sasha sucks, let him say it. This place isn't beholden to Sasha Vujacic, or Kobe Bryant for that matter. If the weight of the board disagrees it will be borne out in the responses. But because every player on this team has at least a handful of fans, we need to demonstrate a hyper-sensitivity to those folks, few as they may be?

Luxury Brown spent all last season defending Smush, and he took it in return day after day, and I think deservedly so. But I never, ever recall him lamenting " Why are you guys so hard on Smush? Mods, can't we do something to make them relent?" He just strapped that target on his back, and charged it.

There's scarcely a single opinion expressed on this board that won't offend one of the 15,000 registered users. If the new policy is to avoid upsetting all other users at all costs, LG will end up an unbearable tyranny of the minority, where only sunshine will be allowed. To me, the bottom line is, if you've an affection for Brian Cook, and are bothered by the slew of invective hurled in his direction, find a way to deal with it. Either present cogent arguments, or ignore it.

The two rules need to be: No ad hominem attacks, and no foul language; in other words, just enforce the exisitng rules.
Marty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject:

I have no problems with bumping threads to disprove or prove one's point(s). But the bumped threads from few days ago was obviously to mislead other posters here (ex. Bumping Walton's interview from few MONTHS ago) or simply to fool around. It's absolutely unnecessary.

Therefore, Time-sensitive threads should be locked if the last post is already one week or 10 days old. If the topic is a "hot thread" then leave it open and update the title if necessary, just like what we do here.

Just my two cents.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
Wow. The authoritarian instinct is really rearing its ugly head in this thread.

Bad ideas all around.

For instance, what's wrong with bumping an old thread (often someone will make a guarantee about something that will have come to fruition by a specified point in time) to disprove someone's theory/prediction. That's the beauty of the internet: if you put it in writing, you need to know that it's going to float somewhere in cyberspace for a long time and it could come back to bite you. It's distinctly different from, say, talk radio, where an anonymous dude makes an outlandish claim that will never come true, but there's no way to ever call him on it. Without the ability to revisit old threads, how do you ever evaluate a poster's credibility.

Second, why can't players be blasted? If someone thinks Sasha sucks, let him say it. This place isn't beholden to Sasha Vujacic, or Kobe Bryant for that matter. If the weight of the board disagrees it will be borne out in the responses. But because every player on this team has at least a handful of fans, we need to demonstrate a hyper-sensitivity to those folks, few as they may be?

Luxury Brown spent all last season defending Smush, and he took it in return day after day, and I think deservedly so. But I never, ever recall him lamenting " Why are you guys so hard on Smush? Mods, can't we do something to make them relent?" He just strapped that target on his back, and charged it.

There's scarcely a single opinion expressed on this board that won't offend one of the 15,000 registered users. If the new policy is to avoid upsetting all other users at all costs, LG will end up an unbearable tyranny of the minority, where only sunshine will be allowed. To me, the bottom line is, if you've an affection for Brian Cook, and are bothered by the slew of invective hurled in his direction, find a way to deal with it. Either present cogent arguments, or ignore it.

The two rules need to be: No ad hominem attacks, and no foul language; in other words, just enforce the exisitng rules.

I concur.

I'm positive some of the fan feedback coming from this site reaches the periphery of the Lakers front office...and I'm sure that if we are only allowed to post the silver linings of the gigantic black clouds regarding the Lakers, players who are not deserving would be maxed out every year.

If LG is going to be the voice of the larger Laker fan base, then by all means, let the real voices be heard.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject:

Any post that begins with "I've been a Lakers fan for ___ years, but...", "I've always been a huge ___ supporter, but...", or "I'm as big of a ___ fan as anybody, but..." should result in a perm-ban.

There's no need to qualify your likely controversial statement. It won't make it any truer, nor will it make it any less controversial. Just cut the crap and get to the point.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:

... ...I was beaten like a step-child...I ate less than Sprewell's kids...I needed rehab like Amy Winehouse...

But naw, the shots I took for defending Smush (actually, to clarify, I was really defending Phil's decision to go with Smush rather than defending Smush himself) and it was all good. I know the frustration from most was really about Smush rather than my support of Phil rolling with Smush, so it's all good. But thanks for shout out on that issue, bro. Much appreciated on that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: