The Official Jermaine O'Neal Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 40, 41, 42  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject:

as long as it doesnt cost us both bynum and LO. DO It Mitch!
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
TN here's a trade demand

"I just told them I can't be in a rebuilding mode right now - I just can't go through that because physically it's going to wear on me too much to do that."

His physical conditions are a good reason to take him only for a reasonable price, maybe the next year when he can opt out...

Our current team, with the younger players improved, plus JO next year and a couple of veterans = title contender.

It's better to be patient.

Being patient for what? Oh I know we'll wait & wait while Kobe gets fed up to the point of no return and maybe even injured. Then thats followed up with JO being traded to Goldenstate or some other team while Bynum loses value and LO continues to be LO
Do you know that the odds of JO losing value are much higher than Bynum losing value ?

I doubt that. JO will put up another 20 & 10 season what will Bynum avg?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
as long as it doesnt cost us both bynum and LO. DO It Mitch!

It probably won't but it most likely cost Bynum because JO is at least helping us out by telling the Pacers he can't do it again.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
TN here's a trade demand

"I just told them I can't be in a rebuilding mode right now - I just can't go through that because physically it's going to wear on me too much to do that."

His physical conditions are a good reason to take him only for a reasonable price, maybe the next year when he can opt out...

Our current team, with the younger players improved, plus JO next year and a couple of veterans = title contender.

Being patient for what? Oh I know we'll wait & wait while Kobe gets fed up to the point of no return and maybe even injured. Then thats followed up with JO being traded to Goldenstate or some other team while Bynum loses value and LO continues to be LO
:roll:

Oh so you think anther avg season from Bynum will keep the hype going?

Do you really think that the last season was average for a 19 year old Center ?
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
TN here's a trade demand

Age aside it was below avg. Im not gonna give a guy who signed an NBA contract extra room because of his Age. 7.9ppg 5rebs is nothing to hoot and holla about. When he's putting up 12+ppg 8+rebs I'll hop on the bandwagon.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
TN here's a trade demand

Do you know that the odds of JO losing value are much higher than Bynum losing value ?

I doubt that with his health JO can do that in the West for 82 games + playoffs. And every year he will do worse, with his physical conditions.

On the other end, Bynum may do it, as soon as he is ready , for 10+ years...
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject:

The FO isn't going to trade Bynum.

If JO has a healthy 22/10 year, and Bynum struggles, oh boy....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
TN here's a trade demand

I doubt that with his health JO can do that in the West for 82 games + playoffs. And every year he will do worse, with his physical conditions.

On the other end, Bynum may do it, as soon as he is ready , for 10+ years...

LMAO he avg that vs the west I'll be back with his avgs vs the west btw Bynum can't do it he couldn't even keep an recovering from injury Kwame Brown on the bench.

Last edited by Car54 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
TN here's a trade demand

Age aside it was below avg. Im not gonna give a guy who signed an NBA contract extra room because of his Age. 7.9ppg 5rebs is nothing to hoot and holla about. When he's putting up 12+ppg 8+rebs I'll hop on the bandwagon.

He was above average even at his age, and he is improving more than almost anybody on that list...

Centers
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
TN here's a trade demand

He was above average even at his age, and he is improving more than almost anybody on that list...

Centers

Center is the weakest spot in the NBA he don't get no props for being 11th in ppg at his position. Thats the dumbest argument I ever read. Being above avg at the weakest spot in the NBA doesn't warrant you props. GTFOH and that (bleep) doesn't win championships
TheTalkOfTheArch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject:

i wish they'd trade bynum already and get this guy over here. Bynum fans WILL get over it.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject:

You can make the case for either Odom or Bynum, but not both for JO. If Pacers won't bite, then it is just too bad, and we will dance with the team that we have.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject:

If the trade was for Bynum and fillers then it would've been done yesterday. If it's Bynum and Odom it's not going to happen, and shouldn't.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject:

TheTalkOfTheArch wrote:
i wish they'd trade bynum already and get this guy over here. Bynum fans WILL get over it.

I'm not a Bynum fan ( I like Ronny more and Kobe as well, at least on the floor) , but as a Laker fan, I think we would be stupid to trade him now.

If you have a player that could be a difference-maker you shouldn't trade him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject:

It's not just Bynum who they'll have to trade.

There is still 17 million owed in salary.

Kwame. Crittenton. Cook. Evans. Farmar.

You see - basically 70% of the roster will have to go out in a trade like that.

The Celtics are in position to do that sort of deal because they were dealing for a much better player and secondly they had no success the last 20 years or so in re-building. The Lakers are in the playoffs based on last 2 seasons while doing both (re-building + trying to win as much as possible).

For them trading Bynum + 50% of the roster makes little sense. Yes I am intruigued by JO-LO-Kobe trio, it could be as good any in the NBA, but the Lakers would still be behind the Spurs and Suns IMO. Factor in LO + JO injuries .. the Lakers could wind up at best a 48-50 win team next season even with that trade.

And lets wait to see Boston win rings with that sort of move or moves before we crown their method the one to model themselves after.

Personally I like SA's and the Lakers are atleast on track to follow them. Build through the draft. Lakers have loaded the roster with draft picks. Bynum, Turiaf, Walton, Crittenton and Farmar. Combined with the more veteran players like Kobe, Odom, Fisher .. this is a much more balanced roster than people think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject:

JO out west

Dal 23ppg 12.5rpg 4bpg 5apg

Den 18ppg 10rpg 3apg 2spg 2bpg

Gsw 22ppg 11rpg 3apg 1spg 3bpg

Hou 25ppg 9rpg 1spg

Lac 15ppg 6rpg 2.5apg 2.5bpg

Mem 24ppg 13rpg 2.5bpg

Nok 23.5ppg 6.5rpg 1.5apg 1spg 3.5bpg

Pho 22ppg 10rpg 3.5apg 1spg 4bpg

Por 20ppg 8rpg 6apg 1spg 5bpg

Sa 10pts 6rebs 1ast 1stl 2blks

Sac 20.5ppg 10.5ppg 1spg 3bpg

Sea 13ppg 10rpg 3apg 1spg 2bpg

Uta 21ppg 5.5rpg 2apg 1.5bpg
TheTalkOfTheArch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
TheTalkOfTheArch wrote:

I'm not a Bynum fan ( I like Ronny more and Kobe as well, at least on the floor) , but as a Laker fan, I think we would be stupid to trade him now.

If you have a player that could be a difference-maker you shouldn't trade him.

Not even for a player that is a difference-maker?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:

^
That just shows he's productive on offense as the #1 option.

What it doesn't show is that

1- He can not defend guys like TD, Boozer and other stronger/physical PF's. They have always outplayed him in the playoffs. Guys like Brian Grant in his Miami days used to give JO fits.

2- FG%

3- Prone to injury.

Noone is saying JO isn't an all-star caliber player. He certainly is. The doubts are on how much better he makes the Lakers.

IMO there are some big positives, but there are also some big negatives.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's not just Bynum who they'll have to trade.

There is still 17 million owed in salary.

Kwame. Crittenton. Cook. Evans. Farmar.

You see - basically 70% of the roster will have to go out in a trade like that.

The Celtics are in position to do that sort of deal because they were dealing for a much better player and secondly they had no success the last 20 years or so in re-building. The Lakers are in the playoffs based on last 2 seasons while doing both (re-building + trying to win as much as possible).

For them trading Bynum + 50% of the roster makes little sense. Yes I am intruigued by JO-LO-Kobe trio, it could be as good any in the NBA, but the Lakers would still be behind the Spurs and Suns IMO. Factor in LO + JO injuries .. the Lakers could wind up at best a 48-50 win team next season even with that trade.

And lets wait to see Boston win rings with that sort of move or moves before we crown their method the one to model themselves after.

Personally I like SA's and the Lakers are atleast on track to follow them. Build through the draft. Lakers have loaded the roster with draft picks. Bynum, Turiaf, Walton, Crittenton and Farmar. Combined with the more veteran players like Kobe, Odom, Fisher .. this is a much more balanced roster than people think.

Don't ever compare this FO to the spurs. Don't even mention them in the same sentence unless your saying SA FO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LO. SA made plans to win the LA made plans to raise ticket prices and over pay for the players they have.
rpadma12
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:

"I was ready but you never know in this business," said Kidd, who was also in Los Angeles for the charity game. "Playing with Kobe makes the game easy. He's the most dominant offensive player and he's a competitor, and I love playing with guys who love to compete."

"We've spoken a couple times this offseason," O'Neal said. "Me and Kobe have been on each other since we were 15, playing AAU basketball, adidas All-American Camp, Nike All-American Camp. It's been a long relationship that we've had. We talked about maybe playing together. ... We just want to make sure that our thought processes are similar and now we're going to let the business handle itself. I mean, we could talk for years, but if [Lakers GM] Mitch Kupchak and [Pacers president] Larry Bird don't decide to make the deal, then it's all talk."

LINK

For those who have said Kobe hasn't done much "recruiting" this summer, looks like he has, at least with JO. Perhaps Kobe knew getting KG was impossible as the lakers and TWolves were never close even if the lakers offered Bynum and were looking for a third team to get involved like Charlotte.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Luke wrote:
Car54 wrote:
TN here's a trade demand

Centers

Center is the weakest spot in the NBA he don't get no props for being 11th in ppg at his position. Thats the dumbest argument I ever read. Being above avg at the weakest spot in the NBA doesn't warrant you props. GTFOH and that (bleep) doesn't win championships

Please ! I was responding at you when you said that he was below average. I showed you that you weren'r right on that point.

Last edited by Luke on Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

Another article on it from CNNSI.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/arash_markazi/08/06/oneal.trade/index.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

I am not saying the Lakers FO is as good as the Spurs FO, rather that like the Spurs the Lakers have finally figured out the best way to get better in the new CBA is to draft well.

Compare their drafting from 1997-2004 to 2005-2007. It is night and day. If the Lakers had been drafting like this in the years when it was Shaq's team, the minute it became Kobe's team .. there would still be drafted talent left over in their prime to help him win now.

Instead almost all the guys drafted from 97-2004 were useless to the post-Shaq/Dynasty Laker teams.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
JO out west

Dal 23ppg 12.5rpg 4bpg 5apg

Den 18ppg 10rpg 3apg 2spg 2bpg

Gsw 22ppg 11rpg 3apg 1spg 3bpg

Hou 25ppg 9rpg 1spg

Lac 15ppg 6rpg 2.5apg 2.5bpg

Mem 24ppg 13rpg 2.5bpg

Nok 23.5ppg 6.5rpg 1.5apg 1spg 3.5bpg

Pho 22ppg 10rpg 3.5apg 1spg 4bpg

Por 20ppg 8rpg 6apg 1spg 5bpg

Sa 10pts 6rebs 1ast 1stl 2blks

Sac 20.5ppg 10.5ppg 1spg 3bpg

Sea 13ppg 10rpg 3apg 1spg 2bpg

Uta 21ppg 5.5rpg 2apg 1.5bpg

Wait til he's healthy. Kwame Brown bruises up players in the paint. O'Neal has to do that to pick up for Jeff Foster's slack.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject:

Only if you go by their track records, JO and Kwame playing on the court together at the same time .. isn't happening more than 40-50 times a year.

Kwame + Odom only played what 25 games together last season? Kwame, Odom and Walton played some 22 games together as starter last season.

JO is no different when it comes to injuries.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 2 of 42
Jump to: