The Official Jermaine O'Neal Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject:

ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:
Pacers CEO Says Trade Talk Involving O'Neal is 'Done'

After all the rumors and denials, it looks like Jermaine O'Neal will remain with the Indiana Pacers.

The All-Star forward was one of the players most discussed in trade rumors this summer, with talk he might end up in New York, Los Angeles or New Jersey.

But Friday, Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said that Indiana's roster is virtually locked. Walsh didn't rule out a trade completely, but he said the Pacers aren't receiving calls about O'Neal any more.

He said: "That's done."

O'Neal averaged 19.4 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocks last season. But the Pacers went 35-47 and missed the playoffs for the first time in 10 years.

In the weeks after the season ended, O'Neal said he respected the Pacers but wasn't interested in being part of a rebuilding project.

http://www.fox28.com/Sports/index.php?ID=23959

I hope O'neal has an amazing year and makes the Lakers front office look like morons for not trading for him.
Kobe gets Derek Fisher and Chris Mihm??
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
gng930 wrote:

If you're only willing to deal him then when you realize his potential isn't all that, then by that time, he won't be worth as much.
Don't kid yourself, at his size, with a little more NBA experience under his belt, there is always some team who'd gladly take him off our hands, and give him a MAX contract. Shawn Bradley got that kind of treatment, Candyman is still playing, and cashing a check, etc. There is little chance, if he can stay free of a major injury, his value isn't going to plummet with even 2-3 so-so seasons.

Also, did any of you guys so anxious to make this deal ever consider that the Lakers and Kobe have come to an understanding? Why are the Lakers flat out refusing to move Andrew? Could it be that they know something about Kobe's situation that we don't? Like just perhaps, they've agreed to give the Bynum experiment a little more time, and making a fire-sale type deal just isn't that urgent anymore? "Just sit tight"

No need for panic moves if the reason for panic has abated for the time being.

Don't put words into my mouth.

I never said nobody would take him then, I said he wouldn't be worth as much. I thought that much is obvious; as the GM of another team why would you give up just as much when you realize his potential isn't as great as previously thought?
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

After all the rumors and denials, it looks like Jermaine O'Neal will remain with the Indiana Pacers.

The All-Star forward was one of the players most discussed in trade rumors this summer, with talk he might end up in New York, Los Angeles or New Jersey.

But Friday, Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said that Indiana's roster is virtually locked. Walsh didn't rule out a trade completely, but he said the Pacers aren't receiving calls about O'Neal any more.

O'Neal averaged 19.4 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocks last season. But the Pacers went 35-47 and missed the playoffs for the first time in 10 years.

In the weeks after the season ended, O'Neal said he respected the Pacers but wasn't interested in being part of a rebuilding project.

I hope O'neal has an amazing year and makes the Lakers front office look like morons for not trading for him.

Very little has changed in Indiana... Oneal is not a kid anymore, so that wish is something you may need to get over...
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
1999-2000 Lakers.

Outside of Harper and John Salley, 0 years triangle experience.

Championship.

Shaq was a God at that time, and the league rules pertaining to play on the floor were vastly different from now...
You put a competely inexperienced Laker team of that nature without a Shaquille Oneal now and the Lakers would either have to stop trying to run the tri, or start waiving a white flag at the half...
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject:

MAJIC wrote:
^^^^Well , in that case it looks like our only hope is health....

Most powerful allie in the league...
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Very little has changed in Indiana... Oneal is not a kid anymore, so that wish is something you may need to get over...

Very little has changed in LA... Kobe is not a kid anymore, so that wish is something you may need to get over...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
1999-2000 Lakers.

Outside of Harper and John Salley, 0 years triangle experience.

Championship.

Shaq was a God at that time, and the league rules pertaining to play on the floor were vastly different from now...
You put a competely inexperienced Laker team of that nature without a Shaquille Oneal now and the Lakers would either have to stop trying to run the tri, or start waiving a white flag at the half...

Yeah, whatever.

About 1/4 of the roster changed with AC Green, Brian Shaw, John Salley, and Ron Harper. That team was less talented than the 1997 team.

I'm sorry, but did they really execute the triangle poorly? Nope. By the time 2 months into the season lapsed, it was already 10-16 game winning streaks.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

Why? Are you a Pacers fan? How does this help the Lakers?
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject:

Chick-N-Stew wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

Huh? Do I have to run down the list of allstar players the Lakers have passed up on? I just want to see the Lakers front office look like morons once again. Maybe they would come to their senses and try to get an allstar on this team.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

Being a Laker fan, I hope Lamar and Andrew have amazing years and make the JO piners see the light!
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
Chick-N-Stew wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

Huh? Do I have to run down the list of allstar players the Lakers have passed up on? I just want to see the Lakers front office look like morons once again. Maybe they would come to their senses and try to get an allstar on this team.
When the current team comes around, don't let the bandwagon run over your toes.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
Chick-N-Stew wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

When the current team comes around, don't let the bandwagon run over your toes.

And if they flame out in the first round again, try not to get trampled after you fall off your high horse.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
Chick-N-Stew wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

Huh? Please do
Quote:
run down the list of allstar players the Lakers have passed up on?

I certainly hope that you do understand the meaning of "passing on players". It means that the other team was willing to take on somebody from your team and giving you back an All-Star, right?

Thus far your "list" would include a 34 YO Jkidd with 3 years $60MM contract at the time of the "offer" (the Lakers should have given an entire front line for) and JO (3 years, $64MM contract) for Bynum and Odom (we would look like morons if we accepted these deals). So - go ahead, and put your list together... :roll:
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
Chick-N-Stew wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

Huh? Please do
Quote:

I certainly hope that you do understand the meaning of "passing on players". It means that the other team was willing to take on somebody from your team and giving you back an All-Star, right?

Thus far your "list" would include a 34 YO Jkidd with 3 years $60MM contract at the time of the "offer" (the Lakers should have given an entire front line for) and JO (3 years, $64MM contract) for Bynum and Odom (we would look like morons if we accepted these deals). So - go ahead, and put your list together... :roll:

I'm not going to do your work for you there's numerous threads on this topic. But hey you know what I guess you know better than every one else because I mean all the all star players I know of are stuck on lottery teams.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

people stated we would've beat the suns if we had a healthy mihm a year ago. sure thats when there was no amare. but so what.

Absolutely absurd. We woulda coulda shoulda beat the Suns IF we had a healthy Chris Freaking Mihm and when there was no Amare? Amare isn't a big deal, I mean, no Amare Stoudemire, "so what".

Quote:
thats also when tim thomas was eating us alive from 3 land and grabbing 12+ boards in the offs just like amare. The only thing different was that amare blocked shots and jumped over peoples backs to get rebounds.

Yea Tim Thomas is more or less Amare Stoudemire. Again, absolutely absurd.

Quote:
because he was playing against guys who should not have been playing due to injuries. LO and Kwame were running on surgery needed legs and arms. luke was not healed up. and those are 3 core guys.

And what exactly are you talking about again? First you bring up some ridiculous statement that we WOULD HAVE beat the Suns if we had a healthy Mihm, in addition to the Suns not having Amare (which actually wasn't a big deal, a guy who averages 35/10 against Tim Duncan isn't all that important), and now you are talking about the most recent playoffs? Bottom line is we lost in the first round to the Suns two years ago, a time when the Suns didn't have their franchise level PF/C, and we got rocked in the most recent playoffs by a Suns team with a healthy Amare. Period.

Quote:
you give me mihm and those 3 guys healthy. say bye bye to the suns run and gun game.

Why do you need a healthy Mihm when a injured Amare was a "so what" type of player? Why do you need a healthy LO when he played as well as he could have with or without injuries in the playoffs? I somehow doubt a healthy Luke and Vlad would have the Suns losing sleep. Those two guys don't play defense and if they aren't doing that, then all you are doing is trying to play the Suns game, which um, yea, isn't going to work.

Quote:
Now(barring any ridiculous injuries). watch what will happen if we see the suns again in the playoffs.

We'll lose...again...for the third time. There is no compelling evidence to prove otherwise.

Quote:
Dont be surprised if we sweep them.

Yea because there is just so much evidence that would make this such an obvious assertion. I wouldn't be surprised if the SUNS swept US if they played us again, because well, oh I don't know, they have more talent and have proven with bottom line results how much better they are than us.

Quote:
we already know how to bring their ppg down.

Despite this supposed knowledge of knowing how to bring their ppg down, we sure do have a tough time actually consistently doing it.

Quote:
Could it be because we have which most teams can't do when playing them.

Well we sure do have more than our share of poor individual defenders. But since everything in this post has backwards logic, having more poor defenders is a good thing.

Quote:
we just can't put the ball in the hole ourselves.

Yea, that could be a problem. Sadly we don't have a consistent second option, but that's not nearly as big of a problem as the other side of the ball.

Quote:
they have nothing for vlad rad with a healthy shooting hand.

Vlad doesn't have much for himself either. A shooter playing against a high octane offense, yea, can't think of a single thing the Suns could POSSIBLY have to answer that.

Quote:
they have nothing for fisher making vet decisions and knocking down timely 3's himself.

Except some guy named Steve Nash. He won a couple MVPs, you may have heard of him, he's about as good as Amare Stoudemire, so it is quite possible that you don't view him all that highly.

Quote:
what happens when kobe passes it out and we actually make a nice percentage of those wide open jumpers?

Get back to me when we start consistently hitting a nice percentage of open jumpers. And when that happens, and we still lose, then maybe people will place a little more emphasis on defense, because we will still lose.

Quote:
we win by 10. thats what happens.

Maybe on the XBOX.

Quote:
every thing went the suns way,

Repeat after me, "everything" seemed to go the Suns way because they are a better team. And not everything went their way two years ago, when that one Amare fellow didn't even play and they were down 3-1.

Quote:
and they beat us 4 to 1.

Sadly.

Quote:
but most of the games were very close.

Hooray for mediocrity.

Quote:
if i can hang with you on a bad leg and bad arm with guys missing, and broke jumpers.

Hanging with the Suns is losing 4-1? Hanging with the Suns is having our two best players Kobe and Lamar play as well as they could have possibly played in the playoffs (healthy or not)?

Quote:
I know good and well i could beat you on 2 good legs, no bad arm, all my guys and made open shots.

No, actually you don't KNOW good and well about anything of the sort to make a statement like that. No matter how confident you seem, the facts argue completely against you, so other than wishing and making baseless predictions, you can't actually "know" we could win.

Quote:
its simple logic.

Right. The simple logic is the Suns have beat us two years in a row, the first year coming back from 3-1 without Amare, and this past year whooping us 4-1. Simple logic is the Suns have more talent than us, and will take us to town once again if we meet in the playoffs unless Bynum makes a quantum leap this upcoming season.

Last edited by Tony Almeida on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject:

^pwnt.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject:

ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

Oh well.

Looks like we just hope that Andrew Bynum grows up real fast. I really hope he can take a HUGE leap this upcoming season, we're going to need it. If we are going seriously start contending for rings, he'll need actual valuable PLAYOFF experience ASAP (not another Phoenix Suns whipping). If health goes our way this year (history and odds are against us), Bynum makes a big jump, we can position ourselves somewhere around 4-6 in the playoff seedings -- despite people thinking we aren't even a playoff team, we are. Despite so many things going against us, Kobe dragged us into the playoffs. I don't see anything all that compelling to make me believe that with the additions of Mihm/Fisher and slightly better health, we are actually worse than last year. If we can then get a decent matchup out of that, maybe we can get out of the first round while Drew gains some experience, then I hope we put up one hell of a fight in the second round (although realistically this is where we will top out and bow out for the year), and gain some more experience, carrying it over into next year for a more serious run.

One step at a time at this point, it just so happens that each step is absolutely crucial and needs to be a big step, and the sooner the steps are taken, the better.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
Chick-N-Stew wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
ForumBlueFrank wrote:
Quote:

Huh? Please do
Quote:

I'm not going to do your work for you there's numerous threads on this topic. But hey you know what I guess you know better than every one else because I mean all the all star players I know of are stuck on lottery teams.

Kobe, is it you?

I am not sure who is that "every one else" you are talking 'bout, but your sig says a lot about your personal opinion on "how to get a star".

Like paying Rashard Lewis $120MM?
Or paying KG (31 YO KG) for 5 years $105MM?

I am not sure that I know better than everybody else, but I'd pass on those two at these price tags... That's my opinion, and I'll stand by it.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject:

Trade will happen tomorrow I can feel it.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

The Lakers passed on Jermaine O'Neal. What direction is the club going in?
Mathematics
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject:

JO would've been nice. But not at that price. The Celtic Mafia had him on lockdown and was trying to rip us off. Personally, I'm glad Mitch didn't fall for it and allow the Green Guys to get over on us twice in one offseason. It's time to look in another direction and to try to improve defensively.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42
Page 42 of 42
Jump to: