Best Defender available for the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers could get Splitter with the Charlotte pick, he'd be a hard guy to pass up. He could progress into a solid post scorer and rebounder from the PF spot, and allow you to move Odom over to SF when Splitter is out there. Also, of guys like Acie Law move up, and teams with a need for a center go for Hibbert or Hawes, it isn't impossible for Brewer to still be there around 13-14. He is a 5-8 talent that doesn't deserve to drop that far but you know how it goes...teams say they'll take the best available player, then take a need.

As for the original topic, Daequan Cook would be available around the Lakers pick, and he has the tools to become a solid defender (even at the point). He just has to learn to to not take as many chances, which would be automatic fouls with no respect as a rookie. If you had the luxury of playing him spairingly, you could have a really good double threat if you have the time to wait on him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Daequan Cook isn't ready.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm right with ya, and again as an OSU fan I wish he'd realize that and stay another year. If the Lakers make the right moves, they won't have to take someone that is ready and can let him ride the pine or put him in the D-league for a year. If he's smart though, he will wait another year and be a top 10, if not 5 pick.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

Brewer is moving down the draft express board. he is now at #15!!!!- That is getting closer to our #19 pick- if he falls that far, it will be easier to trade up to get him.

Man this draft IS DEEP and man are the Gator's stacked with NBA talent: Brewer, Thornton & Noah are all ready for the NBA, Noah and Thornton both will be in the top 5.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject:

Brewer is the best defensive player in the draft, but the extended tournament run is exposing the holes in his offensive game. That being said, he could bounce back on individual workouts. In a controlled setting, head-to-head against another prospect, Brewer's intensity and athleticism will shine.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Brewer is moving down the draft express board. he is now at #15!!!!- That is getting closer to our #19 pick- if he falls that far, it will be easier to trade up to get him.

Man this draft IS DEEP and man are the Gator's stacked with NBA talent: Brewer, Thornton & Noah are all ready for the NBA, Noah and Thornton both will be in the top 5.

there are some problems with that mock draft as team needs are not taken into consideration yet.
however, IF brewer does fall to 15, i'm pretty sure the pistons will be very open to trading him here for a farmar package.
they already have their "brewer" in t.prince, and theyre' looking for a back up pg.
if a.c. law is off the board - as he should be - i can see a scenario in which the pistons will go for that type of deal.
maybe farmar and the 2 2nd rd picks will be enough ?
maybe farmar and a resigned mihm for nazr and the rights to brewer ?
farmar and our own 1st might be overpaying - depending on who's still on the board at that point.

personal, i dont' see brewer falling beyond 13. there are at least 2-3 teams who should be interested in him - even after green is taken (by the sonics ?).
but hey, i hope i'm wrong.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject:

Brewer would be too good to be true.

Not that he'll be there at our pick (he won't), but he's the anti-Phil pick. Don't see it happening.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:

i think that some teams that draft ahead of us would defenetly consider trading brewer here.
for example - sacramento.
wouldn't they trade him for farmar and our pick ?
i'm sure they would.
its all a question of just how good would he be for us, and when can he make an impact.
is he the long term starter and luke the back up ?

anyway, if he's that unbelievable for us, and green is taken ahead of him (what seems to be likely), i think we can trade up to get him. we'd have to trade up less than 10 places.
very doable if we're serious about it.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
i think that some teams that draft ahead of us would defenetly consider trading brewer here.
i'm sure they would.
its all a question of just how good would he be for us, and when can he make an impact.

anyway, if he's that unbelievable for us, and green is taken ahead of him (what seems to be likely), i think we can trade up to get him. we'd have to trade up less than 10 places.

I like the thinking here, though i would rather package Cook to move up than Farmar.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
i'm sure they would.

the kings are currently at the 9 spot in the draft, don't think they would draft brewer there and i don't think they're going to give up their lottery pick for farmar. they need a difference maker (preferably a big man) and farmar isn't it.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject:

i don't think the kings will get a difference maker at 9.
they'll probably won't draft brewer (unless an artest trade is coming), and because there won't be a difference making big man at 9, is why i think we can make them a pretty good offer.
if i had to bet - i think they'll be drafting a pg - probably a.c. law.

i think getting a young promissing pg like farmar AND another first round pick works very well for them.

also allows them to trade bibby and continue in full swing with the rebuilding process.

a young back court of farmar and martin, + the laker pick + whatever they can get for bibby makes a lot of sense imo. i dont' think a difference making big man will be available at 9.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
i don't think the kings will get a difference maker at 9.
they'll probably won't draft brewer (unless an artest trade is coming), and because there won't be a difference making big man at 9, is why i think we can make them a pretty good offer.
if i had to bet - i think they'll be drafting a pg - probably a.c. law.

i think getting a young promissing pg like farmar AND another first round pick works very well for them.

also allows them to trade bibby and continue in full swing with the rebuilding process.

a young back court of farmar and martin, + the laker pick + whatever they can get for bibby makes a lot of sense imo. i dont' think a difference making big man will be available at 9.

they're still going to want a big man if they're not getting a difference maker. I don't think farmar and a late first is going to be worth what they can get in the lottery.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I would not want to trade Farmar to move up, but you may be right- he is one of the better trading assets that we have. While that move would net us a great defender in Brewer, we would be super thin at the PG position again- I like Farmar and think that he will be our starting PG in a year or two.

I would rather move Cook or Vlade and or our first rounder and 2 second rounders to nab Brewer- whom I feel we desperatley need to shore up our perimter defense.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I would rather move Cook or Vlade and or our first rounder and 2 second rounders to nab Brewer- whom I feel we desperatley need to shore up our perimter defense.

Amen.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject:

vlad has negative trade value.
you move him with our pick, and you won't be able to get much at all.
i actually think the smartest thing to do might be to wait untill he shows he can still play and shoot, and his trade value goes up to some extent.

the only way we can move him is for a worse contract. that may be still be worth our time if the other guy fills a role for us.

for example - troy hudson.

he has a bad contract, and the wolves are loaded at pg with foye, m.james, and even jaric as insurance.

i think there's a real possiblity we can get hudson for vlad and the 49th pick, and there's no reason to think hudson can't fit in well in the triangle. he's not a ball dominant pg and he's a very good shooter. can't be much worse than vlad...

what does this do for us ?

it makes it a lot easier to give up farmar and our 1st to trade up for brewer, and we use the mle to complete the pg position:

mle/hudson/sasha
kobe/evans/bobcats pick
luke/brewer
odom/turiaf/cook
kwame/bynum/mihm

so either wait on vlad, or trade him for an equaly bad contract that we may be able to use better.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

man, that will just be too good for us.

i've seen a # of posters in similar threads asking for al horford, but just like brewer, he won't be there when we pick.. so any chance we take a look at this guy-
http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/seanwilliams.html

extremely athletic & very good timing, though somewhat troubled off the court this year, offense a long way to go. i've been a fan of his game since last season.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject:

Even though he's projected to go in the 2nd round, DJ Strawberry could be an excellent NBA defender.

Also, what do you guys think of Dominic McGuire from Fresno St.??

6-8, 210 - G/F
Kinda like a "Joe Johnson" type.
Good all-around game. Plays multi-positions.

He even blocked 3.6 shots per game. Pretty impressive for a swingman (could he be kinda like Gerald Wallace???)

Here's what Draft Express says about his D...

Quote:
Defensively, McGuire is averaging an outstanding 3.6 blocks per game thanks to his combination of size, length, excellent timing and the quickness in which he gets off his feet. While this strength is not particularly likely to translate over to the NBA, he does have the tools to become an extremely disruptive defender on the wing, especially in terms of his lateral quickness. Likewise, he is a very strong rebounder at the WAC level, pulling down just under 9 per game to complete a very versatile picture. Just to illustrate that point, he had a triple-double a few weeks ago against San Diego, with 14 points (4-6 FG), 14 rebounds, 10 blocks. Just for good measure, he added 4 assists and 6 turnovers.

Thoughts??
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject:

I know its just one game, but Brewer just dominated an All-American. Its going to be harder to deal up and get him, but I'd love to see him in purple and gold (not that sickening Kings getup though). He'd be an ideal defender to play behind Kobe and Walton, and spell the PG spot against certain matchups. I have a question though, how much of an offensive liability would he be as a rookie in the triangle? He can drain the outside shot and help spacing, but how lost do you think he'd be? They really got their work cut out for them, but if for some reason they can do it, I'm sold now.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Brewer is likely out of reach.

Brandon Rush is likely the best defender within range.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject:

yeah, thats why I'm on board to deal the Charlotte pick and a shooter like Cook to move up 3-4 slots to get him. I'm guessing it will take something serious to move up to get him though, so they may not be able to do it.
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject:

i would trade anybody outside of the starting lineup and bynum plus any of the lakers' picks this year in order to move up to get brewer...the lakers may have to move up into the 6-9 range to make it happen though...perhaps the lakers can use farmar as bait in a deal with sacramento
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
Even though he's projected to go in the 2nd round, DJ Strawberry could be an excellent NBA defender.

6-8, 210 - G/F

He even blocked 3.6 shots per game. Pretty impressive for a swingman (could he be kinda like Gerald Wallace???)

Quote:
Defensively, McGuire is averaging an outstanding 3.6 blocks per game thanks to his combination of size, length, excellent timing and the quickness in which he gets off his feet. While this strength is not particularly likely to translate over to the NBA, he does have the tools to become an extremely disruptive defender on the wing, especially in terms of his lateral quickness. Likewise, he is a very strong rebounder at the WAC level, pulling down just under 9 per game to complete a very versatile picture. Just to illustrate that point, he had a triple-double a few weeks ago against San Diego, with 14 points (4-6 FG), 14 rebounds, 10 blocks. Just for good measure, he added 4 assists and 6 turnovers.

Thoughts??

I'm with you on McGuire. I've said as much in several different threads.

He just seems like a lock down defender waiting to happen. All the athleticism and quickness in the world combined with solid defensive fundamentals and a desire to actually play good defense. Combine that with an emerging offensive game and he could be a great pickup at #33.

And yeah, he sounds more like Gerald Wallace than Joe Johnson to me too.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Brewer seems like he got a little of Pippen/Stacey Augmon in him. Top-notch defender with an improving offensive game. What would it take to get the Lakers to move up to get this guy? I would love to see him in P&G!
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject:

I cant stand anyone from the Florida team!
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
B_P wrote:

6-8, 210 - G/F

Quote:

Thoughts??

I'm with you on McGuire. I've said as much in several different threads.

He just seems like a lock down defender waiting to happen. All the athleticism and quickness in the world combined with solid defensive fundamentals and a desire to actually play good defense. Combine that with an emerging offensive game and he could be a great pickup at #33.

And yeah, he sounds more like Gerald Wallace than Joe Johnson to me too.

Let's just hope he flies under the draft radar... just hopefully not under ours!

We sooooo need a perimeter athlete who actually has a real passion for D.

3.6 blocks/gm is hella-nice. Not that I would expect those types of numbers in the NBA, but just to have someone who is a bona fide defensive DISRUPTOR would be a wonderful addition.

We need some defensive WARRIORS!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: