Best Defender available for the Lakers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Best Defender available for the Lakers

We need defensive help and nearly all positions IMHO. The Lakers will likely have a first round pick between 15 & 20.

Who do you think is the best overall impact defender that we could land regardless of position?

Then if you feel like it, who do you think is the best defensive guard available to us, and the best defensive forward or center.

I think that Corey Brewer is the best impact defender that we could hope for, but likely he will be gone before we pick.

Jeff Green has a lot of tools, not a great defender now, but he could be.

Hansbrough is a tough as nails post defender, but again he lacks that athleticism to be an elite defender IMO.

Thornton has the athleticism but he is not good at the defensive fundamentals- he bites for nearly every shot fake. He could be a fantastic defender though due to his nasty hops and speed.

I really like Marcus Williams- who is a very crafty defender, good lateral quickness and a huge wingspan for a guard.

Please feel free to comment and add players- I would really like to know who is the best defender out there who could come in and help the Lakers stop the bleeding. We need help- we can score PLENTY, but we have problems stopping people, even when the team is fully healthy.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject:

If they stay put, Afflalo.

Combine their 1st with CHA's #2 to move up into late lotto--go after Brewer.
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject:

i also think the lakers should try to acquire brewer by trading up...if they cannot do that, i would like the lakers to trade down (perhaps picking up a veteran guard in the process) and get dominic mcguire from fresno st....he seems like he could potentially be a better ball-handling, less strong version of danny granger...he is about 6'8", athletic and has long arms
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Alando Tucker?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Brewer is a better defender than Tucker.

Brewer defenders 3 positions at an excellent level. Tucker just 1.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject:

cusu32000 wrote:
i also think the lakers should try to acquire brewer by trading up...if they cannot do that, i would like the lakers to trade down (perhaps picking up a veteran guard in the process) and get dominic mcguire from fresno st....he seems like he could potentially be a better ball-handling, less strong version of danny granger...he is about 6'8", athletic and has long arms

I second that.

Outside of Brewer there's nobody in that range that is a real stud defender. the exception could be splitter if he falls into that range.

I would love it if they picked up McGuire with the second pick. I think he has a good chance to fall into the second round, and he sounds like he could develop into a beast of a defender. Dude is averaging 9.8 reb and 3.5 blocks! Seems to have the desire to play defense too, which is often underrated when judging what kind of defender a player will be.

Another guy to look at in the second is Herbert Hill, another shot blocker, but not mush of a post defender. If Sean Williams falls all the way to our third pick I'd take a chance on him too.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Marcus Douthit averaged 4 blocks per game.

Barely a 1.5bpg player at the NBA level if he ever got there.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject:

brewer is the guy to trade up for.

i don't think there's any way to guarentee him unless we trade for the tenth pick.

offering the bobcats' pick wont' help, even offering our 2008 1'st probably wont' be enough. maybe we can offer to take on a bad contract for some of our better ones ?

but brewer is defenetly it.

if we're looking to sneak up on people as far as acquiring an amazing defender - that guy is dimitris diamantidis of greece, but i can't see him signing a rookie deal, so he would cost a signifiicant part of our mle - a whole different story...
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject:

Let's not forget Tiago Splitter, if he falls far enough. Presumably he stays in the draft this time.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Let's not forget Tiago Splitter, if he falls far enough. Presumably he stays in the draft this time.

I like him too, he started off the season injured, so I thought he might fall, but he has really come on lately. He is really tough for a euro and he does play pretty intense D and he is a good leaper for a Euro.

Aflalo is a good defender- good idea.

I also agree that Brewer is the best lock down guy that we could be close to getting. I would love to trade up to nab him- Hmmm, not a bad Idea.

We do have 3 draft picks, trade all 3 of them + CooK? to get the #10 pick?

Does any one want Cook? Certain teams who need outside shooting would. Also at 10 Splitter would like be available if we traded Kwame some how and needed another good defensive 7 footer on the team.

Thanks for the imput guys- helps me flesh this thing out. Brewer would help us a lot on D because he can defend multiple positions. He kinda reminds me of Granger a little bit.
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:

Thanks for the imput guys- helps me flesh this thing out. Brewer would help us a lot on D because he can defend multiple positions. He kinda reminds me of Granger a little bit.

i think granger is primarily a 3/4 defender with some ability to guard 2's in certain situations...brewer i think is primarily a 2/3 defender with some ability to guard 1's and certain 4's...granger also has about 40 or so pounds on brewer, so i dont know how comparable they are outside of the fact that they are both very versatile...he seems like a taller version of josh howard to me...with less offensive ability and more defensive intensity at this piont

Last edited by cusu32000 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:

Splitter may drop some due to his contract buyout. You may have to wait a year or so if a drafts him.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Marcus Douthit averaged 4 blocks per game.

Barely a 1.5bpg player at the NBA level if he ever got there.

Very true, and when I look at Hill I am reminded of Douthit, at least on the defensive end.

I think McGuire is a little different though. He is only 6'8" and 210lbs. Basically a SF in the NBA, with the quickness to play that spot. I know he plays in the low post a lot for Fresno which accounts for such a high block rate. Still though, he seems like a great prospect with his athleticism and already strong defense. At 33rd, or wherever we pick, I would be very happy to see him in P&G.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:

cusu32000 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

i think granger is primarily a 3/4 defender with some ability to guard 2's in certain situations...brewer i think is primarily a 2/3 defender with some ability to guard 1's and certain 4's...granger also has about 40 or so pounds on brewer, so i dont know how comparable they are outside of the fact that they are both very versatile...he seems like a taller version of josh howard to me...with less offensive ability and more defensive intensity at this piont

It is amazing how skinny brewer is- Granger and brewer are both 6'9" SF's, but Brewer is listed at 185, and Granger 228.

Maybe the better comparison at this point is T Prince- who is also paper thin and a trerrific defender.

Last edited by Dr. Funkbot on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfield wrote:
Splitter may drop some due to his contract buyout. You may have to wait a year or so if a drafts him.

From what I have read, he is finally ready NOW- he can play inthe NBA in 2007/2008. Contract issues have caused him to drop out for the past 3 years.

Who knows for sure though, Think Franz Vasquez.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject:

i drool over getting brewer here. too bad it won't happen.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject:

just say no to splitter.

he's a good man defender, not a great team defender and shot blocker - which is the ellement we're missing.

if he's available with the bobcats' pick - great.
but do NOT pick him up in the first round. huge mistake.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject:

I've watched Splitter for about three years. He is kind of a lighter version of Kwame. He can man up, plays the pick and roll reasonably well. He can also switch onto smaller players and shows very good lateral speed to keep them in front of him. He's not much of an offensive player and he hasn't shown the improvement you would have liked to see. But he is one of the better defenders. I'm not sure we really need that now, though, with Kwame, Ronny, Bynum, LO and maybe Mihm. Not sure where he would fit in since he would be pretty redundant. I think I'd rather have a more skilled big, if we have some good choices available, someone who would hold a lot more potential trade value than Splitter.

Brewer, of course, good defender. No need to repeat that.

Brandon Rush is a decent defender, and really likes to D-up, takes pride in it. He can switch on multiple positions.

Dr. Funkbot - I agree that Jeff Green has the tools to be a good defender. If he really wants to focus on it, I think he could make an impact on that end. He'd definitely be a good Tri fit, too.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

Just looking at the number of bigs in the draft. If a majority of them do come out, I think there may be a chance that Splitter could go top of the second round. Wouldn't surprise me at all. That would be a nice pick there, too.
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
davidse wrote:

Just looking at the number of bigs in the draft. If a majority of them do come out, I think there may be a chance that Splitter could go top of the second round. Wouldn't surprise me at all. That would be a nice pick there, too.

indeed it would especially since (i think) if the lakers are fortunate enough for him to fall to them in round 2 it would allow them to avoid splitter's buyout issues (if they are still there) for as long as they want by keeping him in europe for some time
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject:

if other teams see what we see about splitter - beyond the hype, and enough talent declares - splitter for the bobcats pick can happen.
in which case, we can just let him play another year or two abroad (he'd never sign for a 2nd rd rookie deal anyway - the guy can make millions in europe).

for us, he'd be a waste of a 1st rd pick. if some other team thinks they can use him - great. more talent to chose from for us...
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
I've watched Splitter for about three years. He is kind of a lighter version of Kwame. He can man up, plays the pick and roll reasonably well. He can also switch onto smaller players and shows very good lateral speed to keep them in front of him. He's not much of an offensive player and he hasn't shown the improvement you would have liked to see. But he is one of the better defenders. I'm not sure we really need that now, though, with Kwame, Ronny, Bynum, LO and maybe Mihm. Not sure where he would fit in since he would be pretty redundant. I think I'd rather have a more skilled big, if we have some good choices available, someone who would hold a lot more potential trade value than Splitter.

Brewer, of course, good defender. No need to repeat that.

Brandon Rush is a decent defender, and really likes to D-up, takes pride in it. He can switch on multiple positions.

Dr. Funkbot - I agree that Jeff Green has the tools to be a good defender. If he really wants to focus on it, I think he could make an impact on that end. He'd definitely be a good Tri fit, too.

I'm not too sure about the Laker plans at this point. Mihm might be finished as a Laker, as we're close to the luxury tax threshold. Kwame is only under contract until next season. There is a negative gap between what he's worth and what he's paid, which means next season could be his last as a Laker... particularly is Bynum ascends. And I'm not sure what to make of Turiaf health-wise.

In a world of financial compromise, Splitter makes sense. His rookie contract frees up management to sign vet perimeter players at the MLE.

Yeah, Splitter is Kwame light. Down to the mysteriously disappearing jump shot both had earlier in their careers.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject:

I hope Cory Brewer absolutely sucks and makes Florida lose today. His value decreases, but our chances of getting him increases!
cusu32000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject:

well alando tucker is doing a good job of that right now...perhaps he'll be there in the 2nd round
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:

UNLV's Joel Anthony was named Defensive Player of the Year of the MWC.

Dude had 13 blocks in one game. 6'9 265.

Named the team's most inspirational player for the 2005-06 season as voted on by his teammates
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: