lakers 2007 nba draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Why is no one mentioning Rodney Stuckey? He's a big combo guard that can flat out score. With all the talk about how nobody can really put up points besides Kobe why not take a guy that has proven to be one of the best scorers in the NCAA? The fact that he's a combo guard makes it even better. Team him up with Farmar and you've got a great young 1-2 punch at the PG spot. Anyway, just wondering what you experts think about his potential (compared to Ben Gordon) and if the Lakers should take a look at him.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:

^Because some of us don't get suckered into the Quincy Douby's of the draft.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Really? You think he won't be able to translate any of that to the NBA? IIRC Douby was kinda smallish with no real passing ability. This guy seems to have a solid frame and is dishing over 5 assist. You really think he'll flop?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
Really? You think he won't be able to translate any of that to the NBA? IIRC Douby was kinda smallish with no real passing ability. This guy seems to have a solid frame and is dishing over 5 assist. You really think he'll flop?

Not flop, but there's a lot of high scoring guards at the NCAA level that are combo guards, athletic, strong, and just don't make it.

Stats don't tell a complete story of a player's abilities.

He could be a stud. But I'll just leery of basing player ability on stats.

davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
NBAdraft.net has Nick Young being drafted ahead of Corey Brewer.

nbadraft.net has marc gasol taken in the 1st rd.

that's all i needed to know about that site and their mock draft=waste of time.

i'd be shocked if gasol gets picked at all.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject:

There doesn't seem to be much effort on any of the draft sites this year. When the NCCA Tournament is over they will get serious in their mocks and update scouting reports. Makes me wonder if one site does the work and everybody else copies their scouting reports. So if they hold off on the scouting reports this cuts down on the stealing.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

Wait until the final couple weeks or so. They have always been badly off this time of year. Every year is the same. But they get a lot better in the final week or so and usually seem to nail a few of the draft rumored deals.

I've also noticed early on they tend to overhype a lot of international players during the past few years.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
davidse wrote:

Wait until the final couple weeks or so. They have always been badly off this time of year. Every year is the same. But they get a lot better in the final week or so and usually seem to nail a few of the draft rumored deals.

I've also noticed early on they tend to overhype a lot of international players during the past few years.

Though draftexpress publishes better player profiles, they aren't any better or worse than nbadraft at projections. In all likelihood, the producers of both sites probably do a quick check on their rival, just to make sure that they aren't missing an emerging draftee. This is a very important (and volatile) time of year for draft projections; you will start seeing some dramatic changes. The NCAA tourney is when some overlooked players (like Patrick O'Bryant last season) and underclassmen unexpectedly emerge and subsequently declare, while other more heralded players disappoint, and either withdraw or sink out of the first round.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ArrOhBee wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
You cats are crazy with the Green, Brewer, Wright talk- those guys will be LONG LONG gone by the time the Lakers pick.

Aflalo is more on target- also, I love Marcus Williams' game- guy can play some serious D and he can score.

Just say no to Benelli- but beware of Mitch and Rudy Fernandez

Marcus Williams from Arizona?

yes he can score, but his defense sucks from a couple games i saw.

His defense is inconsistent, in terms of effort. I wouldn't place it in the sucks category though. He has the ability to be a decent quality defender.

He moves well without the ball, something we really miss in our offense. He would make a good comboguard in the tri, as he has good court awareness, handles, passing ability and smarts. The only thing that worries me is that he can disappear for stretches, and lacks consistency on his shot.

Arizona has struggled of late. Let's hope they get an early exit (sorry Wildcat fans), as I'd love for his stock to drop. He had a pretty good showing in the tourney last season, and I was expecting the same this March.

It looks like Marcus Williams played as advertised, courtesy draftexpress:

Quote:
NCAA Tournament: Stock Watch (round of 64, Friday games)--Down/Neutral
March 16, 2007
Coming in as the leading scorer of Arizona, Marcus Williams didn’t show enough leadership ability during crunch time and really didn’t take the burden of scoring on himself when Arizona couldn’t buy a bucket at the beginning of the 2nd half. The only part of the game where Williams shined was in the end of the first half when Arizona made a little run, but other than that he was very passive on offense and played poorly on the defensive end.

Williams clearly lost his matchup against Purdue’s much-less hyped perimeter players, losing his man completely on three occasions to allow clean looks from mid-range and an easy layup under the basket. He clearly has the tools to play good defense, but his focus and concentration were not there today. Offensively, he showed his good first step and ball-handling ability by getting into the lane when he really attempted to, converting on two acrobatic layups in the process. His outside shot was not falling for him today, missing both three-point attempts and another two from mid-range. Williams didn’t do a good job of creating shots for his teammates today either.

This performance certainly didn’t help his stock, and good performances by other swingmen in the tournament could see his stock take a hit on some draft boards. Williams has enough athleticism and skills to be a starting caliber player in the NBA down the road, but he will need to improve his attitude a bit, trust his teammates more and take a better approach on the defensive end. Even with his poor performance and early exit in the Tournament, Williams is probably too good to fall out of the first round, but we will have to see how the early-entry list shakes out to fully determine that.

Despite the deep talent on that Arizona team, they had serious chemistry problems this season. They had too many games where they collectively slept on defense, and didn't share or move the ball well on offense. Marcus Williams was nailed for "leadership" by draftexpress, and unfortunately the label fits. If he falls into our laps as the best available player, fine, as he's a nice talent. But our current team lacks a motor outside of Kobe... and Marcus Williams seemed to have a better motor in last year's NCAA Tournament. Though there are always apparent compromises when picking around #19 or #20, I do have reservations about him joining a Laker team that is already too laid back on defense.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
DoubleClutch wrote:

Not flop, but there's a lot of high scoring guards at the NCAA level that are combo guards, athletic, strong, and just don't make it.

Stats don't tell a complete story of a player's abilities.

He could be a stud. But I'll just leery of basing player ability on stats.

Well since Arenas guys like those have been getting a closer look. Teams don't want to miss the next Gilbert.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject:

^Understandable, just, Arenas had different credentials than all those other guys...

I understand Luther Head. I don't understand Stuckey.

kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Round 1- Pick 21- Rudy Fernadez
Round 2- Pick -4- Glen Davis
Round 2 Pick 21- Aaron Brooks
21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject:

I like Affalo as well. Great lift on his jumper and moves very well off the ball. Can run him off screens and backdoor cuts all day. He also plays both ways, which is rare these days. Could potentially give Kobe a much needed break on the defensive end.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject:

i hope i'm wrong, but i'm probably one of the only laker fans who doesn't like aflallo. defenetly not as our 1st rd pick.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
i hope i'm wrong, but i'm probably one of the only laker fans who doesn't like aflallo. defenetly not as our 1st rd pick.

You're not the only one. In the Young vs Afflallo thread I said he should stay in school.
jbjb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject:

How about if Gabe Pruit comes out and is available at the Charlotte pick? He's a big guard whose ball handling and defense are improving, and he's shown some willingness to play defense. I think he could turn out to be a better pro than Affallo.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject:

jbjb wrote:
How about if Gabe Pruit comes out and is available at the Charlotte pick? He's a big guard whose ball handling and defense are improving, and he's shown some willingness to play defense. I think he could turn out to be a better pro than Affallo.

The less disciplined Devin Harris. Less committed to defense. Less hoop IQ in regards to PG play. Less playmaking skills. Very similar physical tools.

He could just be a better version of Smush Parker part II as well. They play pretty similar.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject:

what do you guys think about marko tomas as a second round pick?
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject:

he'll be a good pick up with our 49th pick.
a top euro player for a couple of years now, proven scorer, probably has a better chance of stepping in right away and contributing than anyone we could possibly pick up that low.

he's actually the guy i was hoping for at 49. i think its between him and g. davis.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject:

I like Josh McRoberts....I think he could be a steal if he falls to us...He has all the tools to be a top-notch player in the triange putting up aleast 13-7-4.....dont expect him to be a super star just a solid player
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
I like Josh McRoberts....I think he could be a steal if he falls to us...He has all the tools to be a top-notch player in the triange putting up aleast 13-7-4.....dont expect him to be a super star just a solid player

McRoberts offers nothing on the defensive end. Our offense is fine, we need help on D.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:

One more name to consider: Darrell Arthur

I think he'll stay, but if he declares and is available, Mitch had best snap him up.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject:

We all covet Corey Brewer... but check this out... this cat seems pretty quirky...

Quote:
One item of Corey Brewer's carry-on luggage for the NCAA Tournament might be a little different than just about every other player's suitcase traveling to Atlanta for the Final Four. In tow is a teddy bear named Pudding. ''He only goes to tournaments with me,'' Brewer said. The quirkiness doesn't stop there. Brewer dresses Pudding in a Spider-Man costume, and when it comes time to leave his hotel room for a game, Brewer sits Pudding in front of the TV. ''So he can watch the game,'' Brewer said.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
We all covet Corey Brewer... but check this out... this cat seems pretty quirky...

Quote:
One item of Corey Brewer's carry-on luggage for the NCAA Tournament might be a little different than just about every other player's suitcase traveling to Atlanta for the Final Four. In tow is a teddy bear named Pudding. ''He only goes to tournaments with me,'' Brewer said. The quirkiness doesn't stop there. Brewer dresses Pudding in a Spider-Man costume, and when it comes time to leave his hotel room for a game, Brewer sits Pudding in front of the TV. ''So he can watch the game,'' Brewer said.

That's so cute, but very weird at the same time. Does pudding tell him to burn things?
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
B_P wrote:

Quote:

That's so cute, but very weird at the same time. Does pudding tell him to burn things?

Only Leprechauns do that.

"Now burn it. Burn it ALL!"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: