PLEASE HELP -- NEED ADVICE PLEASE!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krazypoetic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: PLEASE HELP -- NEED ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

Hey everyone... I am 25 years old and I have been a Laker fan since I was 3-4 years old... but this is not about the Lakers.... I need advice from people who are not bias... I am at a cross roads in my life right now... please help me from one laker fan to another... Here is my situation:

How do I get my mom to accept my boyfriend PLEASE HELP!?
I have been dating my boyfriend for three years now. He loves me dearly, would do anything for me, and would give up any and everything for me. He is a really good guy. I can't say anything bad about him. He has a good future ahead of him... and he has already told me that he wants to be with me for the rest of his life. There is one problem: my boyfriend is not the same ethnicity as I am and my mother refuses to meet him because of this (after three years). We have been dating three years now and this has always been our biggest problem. I love him so much and I dont want to give him up but my mom refuses to meet him and I am scared to death that my mom wont come to my wedding day if we were ever to get married or be a part of my family with him. The rest of my family and friends have met him and they all like him a lot. He cherishes me and I can truly see myself with him raising a family, but I cant get my mom to meet him. I have fought with her about it hundreds of times and I dont know what to do... please help!!! Please this is really, really serious to me... I need serious advice... please help...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject:

no offense but your mother sounds quite biggoted and if she can't accept your lifestyle choices....tough luck for her.

you have to do what's best for you, and it dosn't sound like your mother is going to accept him until she decides she wants to. nothing you can really do it sounds like it's out of your hands.

i think she'll come around when she realizes that she isn't going to have a relationship with you or your potential family if she doesn't change her narrow minded ways.
NappyFox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Drop the guy like a bad habit. If your mom doesnt approve of his race then he can't be good for you. :roll:
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP -- NEED ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

krazypoetic wrote:
Hey everyone... I am 25 years old and I have been a Laker fan since I was 3-4 years old... but this is not about the Lakers.... I need advice from people who are not bias... I am at a cross roads in my life right now... please help me from one laker fan to another... Here is my situation:

I have been dating my boyfriend for three years now. He loves me dearly, would do anything for me, and would give up any and everything for me. He is a really good guy. I can't say anything bad about him. He has a good future ahead of him... and he has already told me that he wants to be with me for the rest of his life. There is one problem: my boyfriend is not the same ethnicity as I am and my mother refuses to meet him because of this (after three years). We have been dating three years now and this has always been our biggest problem. I love him so much and I dont want to give him up but my mom refuses to meet him and I am scared to death that my mom wont come to my wedding day if we were ever to get married or be a part of my family with him. The rest of my family and friends have met him and they all like him a lot. He cherishes me and I can truly see myself with him raising a family, but I cant get my mom to meet him. I have fought with her about it hundreds of times and I dont know what to do... please help!!! Please this is really, really serious to me... I need serious advice... please help...

Are you asian? Happened to two of my friends...one was filipino and married a white girl.....my friend's dad was pissed during the wedding...actually got hammered with him in the back with a bottle of Jaeger Meister and he was talking mad (bleep). Eventually he accepted it.

Same happened but my friend was JAPANESE and married a chinese girl. My friend's dad was PISSED. Said he would disown his son, not go to the wedding, etc. My friend said screw it, and lived his own life. His dad seemed fine when the wedding actually happened.

So screw what your parents say and do what you want. They'll have to deal and adapt.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Are you a dude, because that could be a problem. If you are a chick, then are you hot? If you are, then is your BF ugly? I had this happen with my family. My sister is still dating a dude, and he is Mexican. My mom doesn't approve, although neither do I and I met him, but she was willing to break all contact with us for him. Your case is just that your mom is really messed up. God I wanna crack a joke like crazy now, something to the extent of setting the house on fire and having your BF save her perhaps could buy a few minutes for an interview with your mom, but then again we are being serious.

You will just have to go on with your life without her approval, since everyone else likes him, especially your dad. She will come about, by the second child. Getting philosophical with her won't work, trust me. If you really love him then your moms biases, especially those based on race, shouldn't have an effect. Goo luck.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Ask your mom this simple question:

Would she want you to be in a relationship with someone who was physically and verbally abusive towards you every day but is of an approved ethnicity or would she rather choose this person you are with who seems to be good to you but is not of an approved ethnicity?

If she loves you unconditionally then she will choose the latter, at which point you simply ask her to give your boyfriend an honest chance. Tell her you don't want to make her accept your boyfriend, only to allow him the opportunity to prove to your mom that he is good to you.

And if your boyfriend gets that shot then he'd better not screw up!

I hope that helps.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Would she want you to be in a relationship with someone who was physically and verbally abusive towards you every day but is of an approved ethnicity or would she rather choose this person you are with who seems to be good to you but is not of an approved ethnicity?

If she loves you unconditionally then she will choose the latter, at which point you simply ask her to give your boyfriend an honest chance. Tell her you don't want to make her accept your boyfriend, only to allow him the opportunity to prove to your mom that he is good to you.

I hope that helps.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:

I hope that helps.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP -- NEED ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

krazypoetic wrote:

I've been through that too, from the other side of the fence. I've had the parents of girls really focus on my ethnicity to the point it where it would come up repeatedly during a dinner conversation. Sometimes the parents were trying to be nice, but you could tell they wanted a me share their ethnicity. Othertimes it was a bit more hostile, and we'll leave it at that...

My best advice is simple: It is your life, and you do have choices to make. Be strong. If your mother thinks that she has the power to choose your boyfriend or fiance, then she'll use that power to her advantage. In other words, she'll treat you like a child, because in fact you will be a child if you don't show some strength.

Let her know that you make your own decisions, she'll back down. If family means as much to her as it does to you (and I'm sure she does), she'll see the light.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject:

I've had this experience, also from the other side, with the girl's parents wondering if a hispanic would be OK for their daughter. Disgusted me.

If you are at a point where you can't face up to your mom, are you at a point where you can make a decision about getting married? I can understand parental approval is very important, but eventually you will have to make your own life, create your own family, and worry about your own happiness. It is on your mom to accept this, not you. You've made the offering, now she has to accept it. The more you struggle with her approval, the more she will know what kind of power she holds over you.

Like others have said, go on with your life. Don't ask your mom to accept it, but don't be ashamed of it. Be proud of it. Always say "Bob and I did this." Or "Bob did the nicest thing for me the other day."

However, don't use the name Bob if that isn't your boyfriend's name.

If you still need to push this, have your other family members speak on his and your behalf. Do you have an aunt that has some sway?

Again, don't beat it into your mom, because she will just get more stubborn about it. Just gently keep bringing up how great of a guy he is.

If your mom still never approves, then it is her loss for she will have missed out on meeting a wonderful guy.

And it will be your gain for sticking with a wonderful guy and not giving him up because your mom is acting the child.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

mbloves L.A. wrote:
Are you a dude, because that could be a problem. If you are a chick, then are you hot? If you are, then is your BF ugly? I had this happen with my family. My sister is still dating a dude, and he is Mexican. My mom doesn't approve, although neither do I and I met him, but she was willing to break all contact with us for him. Your case is just that your mom is really messed up. God I wanna crack a joke like crazy now, something to the extent of setting the house on fire and having your BF save her perhaps could buy a few minutes for an interview with your mom, but then again we are being serious.

You will just have to go on with your life without her approval, since everyone else likes him, especially your dad. She will come about, by the second child. Getting philosophical with her won't work, trust me. If you really love him then your moms biases, especially those based on race, shouldn't have an effect. Goo luck.

That made me laugh for some reason, although I do see your point and I too would like to know the answer. This thread is pointless w/o pictures, jk.

Anyway back to the original question, if your bf is good to you and everything, just follow your heart. Theres no explaining to your Parents really, they'll learn how to accept it over time. Once they see how he treats etc they'll accept him. It'll take time, but they would rather have a healthy relationship with you than ignore you for the rest of their lives.
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:

casH wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:

That made me laugh for some reason, although I do see your point and I too would like to know the answer. This thread is pointless w/o pictures, jk.
Anyway back to the original question, if your bf is good to you and everything, just follow your heart. Theres no explaining to your Parents really, they'll learn how to accept it over time. Once they see how he treats etc they'll accept him. It'll take time, but they would rather have a healthy relationship with you than ignore you for the rest of their lives.

Ok you hornball pervs, stop beating around the bush. If you want j**k off material, just ask her for it. Here, I'll do it for you punks.

Hey girl, do you have any nude pics?

:::DISCLAIMER:::
Your naked pics will only be utilized as analytical material for us psychological and relationship professionals to better understand your situation. That way, we can help you the best way we can. Really.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
Nudizl_Forshizl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

a wedding is only a big party planned for many months in advance. if she doesn't want to go, its a good excuse to elope and spend the money on a bad ass honeymoon or something else like a down payment.

live your life for you and your man. i know you love your mom (you must if you put up with her ignorant crap), but really, this is all about you. its not the time to be catering to anybody else.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject:

It's pretty simple once you break it down to its core...

What would make YOU HAPPIEST?:

1 - Marrying the man of YOUR dreams for YOUR happiness?

2 - Your MOM's happiness due to the fact that YOU'RE UNHAPPY without the man of your dreams?

Pretty obvious now, ain't it?

In life, it's imperative that you make sure yourself is happy first. Because if you're not happy, how can you bestow happiness onto anyone else?

And to be real, if your mom doesn't want to see you happy, then that just speaks volumes about how messed up in the head she is.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Been through this multiple times on both sides of the fence.

You gotta do what's best for you, blah blah blah, like everyone else on this thread has said. They're right. If your mom holds a grudge like my mom does, it may take her years to thaw, but she will.

The one thing I'll add is that you gotta start thinking about precedents. If you let your mom run your life on this, where does the line get drawn? Next she'll be telling you where you can or can't live, what kind of job you can have, and what to name your kids. Take a stand now and let her know you run your own life.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject:

What's the rest of the story? How could she refuse to meet him? Have you brought him to her house unannounced just to talk? Has she restricted communication with YOU during this period of time? Is she overly religous or fanatical about other things or just him (or his race)? Were you surprised, or is part of the attraction to him that you can hurt her or try to change her? Do you have siblings and what are there experinces with your mother if they date othe races? Why are you "scared to death" that she won't attend your wedding? Would your mother refuse to meet her grandchildren? Where is your father in all of this?
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:

to be able to make a comment. i would need to know the races of you and ur boyfriend.

thank you

this is the great negrodaumas
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject:

Is Kramer your mom?
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

This is very simple. Don't make it difficult. Your Mother will do everything in her power to prevent this love affair from prospering. She will only give in if you marry him. Then she will have no choice but to accept him. I've seen this happen a million times. Good luck.
vvbandit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP -- NEED ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

krazypoetic wrote:

I was in the exact same situation a few years ago, I wasnt as ready to get married but my girl was muslim/pakistani and Im sikh/indian. Its basically the Capulets and the Montagues and my mother was the main one who couldnt handle it. She would definately not come to the wedding and the whole 9 but you have to decide a few things and its up to you to decide. 1. Is your mothers racist and ignorant ideas going to stop you from happiness. 2. Can you be happy w/o your mother whois a major force in ur life. 3. You only live once and you need to live that life for yourself. My mom would always tell me how I have a duty to my parents and how you should make them happy, almost before you make yourself happy. Just make sure this guy is the one and that he can take care of you and the family you will start financially. Maker sure hes the one and then move forward. Ive seen a few instances where friends of mine married people their parents didnt want and eventually the parent decides they rather have a relationship with their kid instead of having none. I hope this helps and understand youre not the only one.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP -- NEED ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

krazypoetic wrote:

I'm a real blunt person so don't take this as being mean.

It takes a strong person to be happy and if you don't marry this man because your mom doesn't like his race/ethnicity you are weak and don't deserve to be happy.

I believe you know this already and just don't want to face the possibility of not speaking to your mother ever again. Remember this, you don't want negativity in your life. Sometimes this includes parents, siblings and long term friends. God has given you the two gifts of life and love. Embrace them and take advantage. At 25 you may believe certain opportunities will present themselves again, but the chances are when it comes to really great things, they probably won't.

Just so you know, my wife and I are of 2 different races. We have been together for 11 years this month. We've been married over 4 and we have two beautiful children. She is my best friend. Simple and plain it is the best thing to ever happen to me. We have made conscious efforts to create space between ourselves and the negative people we associated with. One of the best decisions ever.

People who love you want you to be happy and successful. People who don't will find ways to bring you grief, sadness and dissapointment. No matter who these people are to you (mom, dad, etc...) ~ ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

Peace, love and happiness.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:

jesus what year is it? anyway, just like psydesho said, you are in control of what makes you happy. Unfortunately, if that includes your own mother out of the picture then so be it. Sorry, i know she's your mother but she is being very selfish about the situation. She is not putting herself in your shoes. If she only wants what makes you happy then none of this would be happening. You are old enough now to start worrying about your own life and family (if you decide to have one). Just know that your happiness is very important to you and should be important to your mother as well. Im a beaner who's been dating a white woman for a couple of years and sometimes I think my family likes her more than me .
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
jesus what year is it? anyway, just like psydesho said, you are in control of what makes you happy. Unfortunately, if that includes your own mother out of the picture then so be it. Sorry, i know she's your mother but she is being very selfish about the situation. She is not putting herself in your shoes. If she only wants what makes you happy then none of this would be happening. You are old enough now to start worrying about your own life and family (if you decide to have one). Just know that your happiness is very important to you and should be important to your mother as well. Im a beaner who's been dating a white woman for a couple of years and sometimes I think my family likes her more than me .

My family (the ones I associate with) do like my wife better than me. It's hard being a negro in a mixed relationship world. Damn family haters.

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

My family (the ones I associate with) do like my wife better than me. It's hard being a negro in a mixed relationship world. Damn family haters.

Whoa! I don't know if you're Black and you were just funnin' around with frijoler01 since he affectionately referred to himself as a "beaner", and if that's the case, then cool. But if you aren't, I wouldn't reccommend using that term around Black people...for safety sake - your own
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
psydesho wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

I am not only black - but I am El Negro!

Whoa! I don't know if you're Black and you were just funnin' around with frijoler01 since he affectionately referred to himself as a "beaner", and if that's the case, then cool. But if you aren't, I wouldn't reccommend using that term around Black people...for safety sake - your own

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: