Question for Mods regarding Turiaf thread

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glassbullet31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Question for Mods regarding Turiaf thread

I've been a member here for some time and I know the drill. We talk about dumb things, or things unrelated to the lakers, or we get into a debate that gets personal, then the thread gets locked: makes sense.

All in all I think you guys do a good job controlling what goes on here on this board, and comparing to other boards I read, this is by far the most civil.

My question is this: One member started a thread asking about any updates on Turiaf's injury. I feel that this is a fair question. A lot of people here on LG know of other good sites and blogs with laker news. So if I had a laker related question I'd come here because I know guys here have a lot to offer. So my question is why did that thread get locked? I thought that was a reasonable thing to ask and wonder about, and I would come to LG for the answer. So why did one of the mods tell the user to search it on google, and then lock the thread?

Feel free to lock this thread after answering. The reason I'm asking is just to know what's acceptable and what's not here at LG. Again, I feel you guys are doing a great job and I don't mean this personally against anyone.
ComputerBlue
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I second this opinion.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Yes, that was a bit strange why that thread was locked, and Arnie's comments were... TRY GOOGLE.

Arnie, what's up with that? I think Laker fans gather here for Laker news, gossip, rumors, soap-opera, etc. Personally, I have never Googled for laker info. I come to LG. Isn't that the whole point of LG? So we wouldn't have to google for Laker info?
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Someone made a booboo...

/me hopes to not get banned
KobeWalksOnWater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject:

L.G. = Lakers Google engine this place has everything i need

"Losing magnifies everything." -KobeButler
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
glassbullet31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Mods??
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Ever heard of the user feedback forum?
Arnie
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject:

O.k. here the deal. A message board is meant to post opinions, post interesting news, debate ideas. To post on a topic to have other people search for news for you? Seriously, Google is your friend. You can search for news on topics that interest you without asking others to do it for you.
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:

I always get a giggle when someone asks why so and so thread got locked or deleted. Now I haven't read much beyond page 1 of that Turiaf thread, but I assuming the mod locked it for a reason. My advice is, this is a free site. Feel free to use it. Feel free to leave. No need for drama.

Having said all this, I have to say, in my opinion, LG is not close to what it used to be. I keep seeing that posters around here appreciate LG very much and that they wouldn't know what to do with their lives without LG, figure of speech of course, but it actually quite pathetic sounding to me, because like I said, IMO LG is not like the old days. Now when I said used to be, I mean LG "Rivals" days. I joined LG back in 98 (or was it 99?), back then, Bigman was a daily contributor (where is Bigman anyway? must have move on with life), and JD was still recruiting posters to LG on the ESPN message boards (that's who I knew of LG). LOL I think only Jason and JD are the only originals left. I don't even recall guys like ke MikeLG, Uberez, Arnie, etc a part of that original crew. Hehe back in 1998 I was frequenting the Lakers newsgroup (where Larrycoon used to post a lot there, and then I think LG recruited Larry to here). I still see some long time "original" posters like Angrypuppy around, which is great. Anyway, i'm digressing a bit, but my point is this site is not what is used to be, the comeraderie is just not the same, the posters' ages seem to to have gotten younger, and the posts have lack quality and gain a lot of "randomness" in them, and no doubt because of this, the mods here take a heavy-handed approach to many things. Their fuses have gotten much shorter, and really I don't blame them because of the nature of today's LG. Sadly, LG.net doesn't have the same comeraderie I used to love on Rivals anymore. Nowadays, I come here to check out some news, post a few post, and get out. There's just no point questioning mods' actions because to me personally I don't care about LG.net as I did about the Rivals site. That's why it gives me a little giggle when I see posters asking why a post is deleted. lol carry on....
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Arnie wrote:
O.k. here the deal. A message board is meant to post opinions, post interesting news, debate ideas. To post on a topic to have other people search for news for you? Seriously, Google is your friend. You can search for news on topics that interest you without asking others to do it for you.

OK, Arnie, here is the deal.

It was my post you have locked up. And you have done so in disrespectful way, like a kid that was given a power and exersizes it.

If a question whether somebody heard any news on Turiaf YOU consider as a "request to have other people search for news for you", that's too bad. I come to LG to express opinions, to share what I know about basketball and debate ideas.
The fact that my opinion on ability to post the topic I have differs from yours does not bother me. The fact that somebody is given a right of a "board police" when there is no need to do so, does bother me though. But, again, it is just my humble opinion; I am just a user, you are one of the mods, should I wait for next "sanction"?
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Arnie wrote:

The poster wasn't asking for news to be searched for him. He was asking for news that anybody knew of, perhaps aimed at insiders or people who have a close watch on the team.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

Arnie wrote:

Well then, like NBA refs, you guys are pretty inconsistent. Like PJ said, "it took 10 years to finally call carrying the ball on Iverson." People have started threads on LG asking for minor tidbits for years. Can someone post the postgame comments? Did anyone watch the interview? Does anybody have this game? What's the latest on the KG rumor? This doesn't feel like a rule that has been violated. It just seems more like your subjective opinion that the topic was not worthy of a thread. I mean what about this thread that's going on right now... "did the lakers scout/work out monta ellis last year?" Where do you draw the line? Heck, I was interested to see if anybody knew what the heck is up with Turiaf.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject:

I Googled it and I didn't find anything!

Google is not my friend today.
glassbullet31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
Ever heard of the user feedback forum?

Amazing. You see what I'm saying. I tried to present an issue in the most respectful way possible, and instead of answering my question you give me attitude. I'm not trying to start a conflict I had a simple question.

Ever heard of the user feedback forum? Yes, I have heard of the user feedback forum. If you would like me to post in there please tell me to post there, you don't have to ask me if I've ever heard of it.

Mods are human too, people can admit when they make a mistake.
glassbullet31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:

Arnie wrote:

Ok so the topic "which lakers do you think smoke" is ok.

But the topic "hey guys can anyone tell me what the status of one of our injured players is." Lock.

Got it, thanks.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but that's just annoying.
glassbullet31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject:

skumbag wrote:
I always get a giggle when someone asks why so and so thread got locked or deleted. Now I haven't read much beyond page 1 of that Turiaf thread, but I assuming the mod locked it for a reason. My advice is, this is a free site. Feel free to use it. Feel free to leave. No need for drama.

If you read my original post you'll see that all I wanted was just a clarification. I tried to be as careful with my wording as not to offend anyone. And I even commended the mods for the job they've been doing around here. I was respectful, I just had a question. My entire purpose was to avoid drama.
skumbag
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:

glassbullet31, if you've been around here as long as I have, you'll know what I mean. I didn't intend to imply you're a drama queen. It's just how things is around here. You probably won't get far questioning mods actions as most of the mods don't like to delve too much on their actions.

But remember, mods don't get paid, they're just your average Joe, so don't expected any premium service reply from them. But all in all, I think them mods are doing a decent job, though definitely can be improved. Perhaps a little less power trips may do wonder to them and their relationship with the posters. But I'm thinking that this site has grown so much in membership (and junks) that the mods don't need you to contribute like in the old days of Rivals. Supply and demand law at work here.

Hey, does anyone in here remember that very long AND annoying "off-topic" thread in the main lounge forum?! Now THAT was annoying!!! That was a pure random thread that attracted something like over 100,000 views and I believe over 10,000 replies!!! It was crazy. I requested the mods to close that damn thread down and to my surprise, they refused!!! But ya know what, the mods eventually shut it down, and that also gave me a little giggle that they finally wanted to shut it down. LOL sometimes I just don't understand mods actions around here. They can let some BS rehased topic go on and on, no big deal, and would shutdown something like asking for Turiaf news.

But hey! it's a free site and we don't pay a dime! So it's ok with me.
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

sorry but i've gotta side with the original poster on this one. the original thread was like countless others on LG. i also don't understand why it was locked to begin with.

oh well, go lakers!
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject:

You guys are really going to question Arnie the "Modinator"?
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
You guys are really going to question Arnie the "Modinator"?

Nope. I am not questioning Arnie "the Modinator" or Arnie "the Moderator".

I am questioning Arnie's ( the person) decision making ability and manners (ability to respect others to begin with).

Quote:

I would at least read original post before saying 'o-ops, my bad' instead of posting this BS above ('I can do no wrong').
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:

golakersgo121 wrote:
I am questioning Arnie's ( the person) decision making ability and manners (ability to respect others to begin with).

While I don't see much wrong with the original thread, I didn't make the decision to lock it. But, I do stick with the decisions of other mods.

You should have just popped a cork in it, when you were told the reason. As was pointed out already by skumbag, this is a privately owned and operated forum. Meaning: you don't have any voice in the decision making process.

Drop it and move on.
DanielWMathews
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:

I searched it and cant find anything either...does anybody know anything about turiaf?
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
golakersgo121 wrote:

While I don't see much wrong with the original thread, I didn't make the decision to lock it. But, I do stick with the decisions of other mods.

You should have just popped a cork in it, when you were told the reason. As was pointed out already by skumbag, this is a privately owned and operated forum. Meaning: you don't have any voice in the decision making process.
Drop it and move on.

JD,

I appreciate you expressing your opinion as well as don't blame you for "sticking with the decisions of other mods".

Nowhere have I ever asked for having a voice in the decision making process or for you or anybody else to "unlock that thread".

Yet I will voice my opinion if consider something is wrong (like in this case), and will do it in respectful manner because I do not accept any other way of doing so. What to do with my opinion - it is your, mods, business and prerogative. You can listen to it, disregard it or ban me - this is privately owned and operated forum...

Best regards,

GLG
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: