SUNS -vs- LAKERS -- 10/22 -- Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildcat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

DB, how would you rate Rambis' overall job during the Summer League? Tex Winter has said that Rambis has done a great job, but last night it seemed as if Smush Parker didn't have much respect for him as he was glaring at him as he walked over to the bench.

I think Rambis is the logical successor to Phil Jackson. He's been a head coach in this league before. He has a great relationship with both Phil and the Buss family. The Buss family tends to find coaches from within the Lakers ranks. He knows the triangle offense. He is a link to both the 80's Showtime Lakers and the recent three-peat with Shaq and Kobe. He is both young and experienced. Finally, Phil wrote in More Than a Game that he wishes more forwards (like himself) were head coaches in this league.

Rambis has paid his dues. Do you think it's time for him to take over the Lakers when Phil retires?
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Nice job by Bynum. If you're a 7-ftr going against the Smurfs, you gotta be aggressive, call for the ball and finish.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
uberzev wrote:
Loving the trivection oven reference!

Three kinds of heat!

Not sure if you know it, but the trivection oven is a real GE product!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: SUNS -vs- LAKERS -- 10/22 -- Thoughts and :-)) ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
The Young and the Restless... With the injury depleted lineup opening up minutes for the bench, the youngest of the Lakers youth movement were on the prowl against the Phoenix Suns. They got impact play from the two teens, as Andrew Bynum scored 16 points and Jordan Farmar helped dig the team out of a double-digit hole in the first half and led all Lakers with 6 assists.
One might even think of "Luke and Laura's Return to General Hospital" when we witness young, talented and athletic players swarming throughout the court.

ONE STUPID CRAZY PASS!!
Farmar's outrageous pass to LO was "Magic-like" (Steve Nash-like) that not many players in the NBA and on the Lakers could see/imagine or execute. It provided ample evidence of Farmar's court vision and awareness that is rare. He has shown the ability to guard larger people at times. Of course, stamina and consistency will start being the key words/factors when discussing Jordan

SMUSH
He is not a PG, probably a combo guard. This playground-type game demonstrated his strengths (skills, talent, etc.) and weaknesses (defense, concentration) that will dictate the minutes (less than starter minutes and not at end of games) that he will get.

TEMPO
The game's tempo was a good mental test for the young players (Jordan, Bynum, Green, Evans, etc.) to stay within their game plan and tantalizing future. Grade: B
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
uberzev wrote:
Loving the trivection oven reference!

Three kinds of heat!

Not sure if you know it, but the trivection oven is a real GE product!

Yeah, I've seen a few TV commercials promoting it.

Now, if only LG could get a few dollars for my product placement.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
I was real pleased to see Raja Bell be knocked into the seats (he did not get hurt). Does that make me a bad person?

That's nothing, I was hoping one of our scrubs like Wafer or McKie would grab the back of his head and slam his face into the seat. I get all kinds of violent thoughts when I see or think of Raja's face. It's not healthy.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

wildcat wrote:
DB, how would you rate Rambis' overall job during the Summer League? Tex Winter has said that Rambis has done a great job, but last night it seemed as if Smush Parker didn't have much respect for him as he was glaring at him as he walked over to the bench.

I think Rambis is the logical successor to Phil Jackson. He's been a head coach in this league before. He has a great relationship with both Phil and the Buss family. The Buss family tends to find coaches from within the Lakers ranks. He knows the triangle offense. He is a link to both the 80's Showtime Lakers and the recent three-peat with Shaq and Kobe. He is both young and experienced. Finally, Phil wrote in More Than a Game that he wishes more forwards (like himself) were head coaches in this league.

Rambis has paid his dues. Do you think it's time for him to take over the Lakers when Phil retires?

I think he's done a good job. I don't know if he has that respect that he will need. He didn't have it his first time having to deal with Shaq and Rodman. I've heard a few SPL yapping behind his back this summer. But if you have a superstar/leader among the players who will follow you, then you probably have that respect issue taken care of. Tough call there.

I can't really say much about his X's and O's as we're still learning Tri basics. His substitution patterns and when he pulls a player because he think he is starting to struggle have all been solid. Poor use of timeouts I thought during that one game, but in the preseason perhaps the coaches want to see how these guys handle themselves on their own. He doesn't have that psychological "edge" to his coaching that guys like Phil or Pat Riley have.

I used to not be that big of a fan, but I think he's certainly improved in some areas.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Hey DB do you think Luke could win the most improved player award?
wildcat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think he's done a good job. I don't know if he has that respect that he will need. He didn't have it his first time having to deal with Shaq and Rodman. I've heard a few SPL yapping behind his back this summer. But if you have a superstar/leader among the players who will follow you, then you probably have that respect issue taken care of. Tough call there.

I can't really say much about his X's and O's as we're still learning Tri basics. His substitution patterns and when he pulls a player because he think he is starting to struggle have all been solid. Poor use of timeouts I thought during that one game, but in the preseason perhaps the coaches want to see how these guys handle themselves on their own. He doesn't have that psychological "edge" to his coaching that guys like Phil or Pat Riley have.

I used to not be that big of a fan, but I think he's certainly improved in some areas.

Thanks DB! Your analysis is always appreciated.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:

Nope. Check my sig
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:

Good question. I wish we could have seen how aggressively he would play with a healthy Kobe. It's one thing to do it when our options are limited, it's another to do it as a 3rd scorer across from Kobe or when VladRad is getting minutes. Luke may be too unselfish to win that recognition.
la45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I don't know of anyone that has a worse judgment and instinct than Smush. I rewatched the game, and I realized just how bad his judgment is. First mistake: pass to Odom on the break, instead of passing him the ball a bit earlier, he tried to be perfect(unnecessarily) and waited till the last moment to make the pass, result was that he ran into the defender, picking up the charge. Second: he tried to pass to Bynum on a pick-and-roll, however, instead of making the bounce pass, as Stu mentioned, he telegraphed it, result was defender deflected it out of bounds. He tried to lop a pass to Luke on a pick-and-roll switch, but Luke has not created any separation, result: defender picked off the pass. Third quarter, he tried a low percentage threading the defender to Bynum at the free throw line, even though the paint still looked fairly congested, result: Bynum got stripped. He tried the same pass again to Turiaf, Turiaf couldn't handle it, result: turnover. You might say it's those guys fault, yet in both of those cases, he should have never thrown the passes in the first place, because even if they had caught them, what the heck did Smush expect them to do, considering that they were far from the basket and the paint is still congested(so they can't even take the jumper without being contested.)

Smush said he wants to be a better point guard. The good news is that these mistakes are all very avoidable. The bad news is that I don't know if anyone has the patience to teach him these things, nor can the team afford these mistakes. Too bad we can't send him to the developmental league.
TLT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:

wildcat wrote:

No! He WAS a head coach for the Lakers and could not control players. He is a son-in-law to Buss. What guarantee is he would continue the triangle? Name the good Laker head coaches that have come from within the Laker organization. Riley? ok thats one. (magic johnson, sharmon, west, hamblin, rambis, etc) Just off the top of my head.
expertla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
targetman wrote:
I was real pleased to see Raja Bell be knocked into the seats (he did not get hurt). Does that make me a bad person?

Nope

Go Lakers!

Actually, between Evans, Turiaf, Kwame, Cook and maybe Green (if he makes the team), Raja should recieve a hard foul everytime he plays the Lakers.

He has earned it!
LakerSince72
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again DB. I'm feeling good about the reserves confidence after that game. Let's hope they can remain consistent throughout the season.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Good question. I wish we could have seen how aggressively he would play with a healthy Kobe. It's one thing to do it when our options are limited, it's another to do it as a 3rd scorer across from Kobe or when VladRad is getting minutes. Luke may be too unselfish to win that recognition.
If the award is primarily based on how many points one scores - Luke will lose every time.

One could imagine that with Luke setting up/passing a slashing Kobe, spot-up shooting Vlad, LO initiating the offense whle providing down-low passing/offense and Jordan moving w/o the ball with Luke as the "release person" in a role previously played by Horry/Harper/BShaw that he would get a lot of attention around the league. For those who think that Smush would be the player instead of Jordan, consider the low basketball IQ Smush has that would make him unreliable despite his great skills
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Thank God DB hasn't fallen prey to this nasty pre-season injury bug!

Another stellar write up.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

The finger tips on my left hand have been sore the last two days. Not sure what that's about...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The finger tips on my left hand have been sore the last two days. Not sure what that's about...

That's what toes are for.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: