KINGS -vs- LAKERS -- 10/17 -- Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
targetman wrote:
I'm interested to see how Kobe and Farmar work together on the court. Farmar and the young guns seem to run at a faster pace than we are used to. I really like what I see of Turiaf, Cook (mostly), Walton, Vlad and Farmar and think that with these guys getting a little pt during the season we could do a little damage. They have good chemistry together, something we never seem to have with Smush out there. I want Kwame to come back soon though, we need a little more muscle in the middle.

I am curious how much patience Kobe is willing to exhibit when, at the end of the game, Farmar makes the wrong decision due to inexperience? Kobe seemed ticked at the end of some games with Odom, a rookie may exhibit more bonehead moves.

Not knocking you, I want to see it as well, if all things work properly, but will Kobe be the savvy mentor, or the fierce competitor?

Farmar seems to make errors of commission, as opposed to the tentative errors LO made learly last year. I think Kobe will respect the drive and will of the youngster, and try to help him make better decisions. With his brains and feel for the game, I expect rapid improvement in that department.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
targetman wrote:
I'm interested to see how Kobe and Farmar work together on the court. Farmar and the young guns seem to run at a faster pace than we are used to. I really like what I see of Turiaf, Cook (mostly), Walton, Vlad and Farmar and think that with these guys getting a little pt during the season we could do a little damage. They have good chemistry together, something we never seem to have with Smush out there. I want Kwame to come back soon though, we need a little more muscle in the middle.

I am curious how much patience Kobe is willing to exhibit when, at the end of the game, Farmar makes the wrong decision due to inexperience? Kobe seemed ticked at the end of some games with Odom, a rookie may exhibit more bonehead moves.

Not knocking you, I want to see it as well, if all things work properly, but will Kobe be the savvy mentor, or the fierce competitor?

Kobe will always be the fierce competitor.

That's why I think that he's gonna like playing with Farmar.

You see, in addition to possessing good ball skills and a high hoop IQ, I've noticed (primarily by watching him at UCLA) that Farmar is mentally tough as well. More times than not, when placed in adverse situations Farmar stepped up while others wilted.

Farmar is going to make his fair share of rookie mistakes. However, if presented with steady PT over the first half of the season, I'm willing to bet that those mistakes will have been dramatically reduced by the time the playoffs come around.

Kobe will appreciate having at least one other person he can count on in a Game 7 scenario.

Farmar's going to make some mistakes, but I think what we'll find is that when he's in the game the other team is going to have to take every player on the court more seriously than before. Toward the end of games that makes it a lot hard to get away with doubling and tripling Kobe, making his life a lot easier.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

DB, you should frame your comments about McKie.

Thus far, IMO, the most impressive have been, in order:

1. Turiaf
2. Farmar (and really not that far behind)
3. Luke

I was hoping Bynum would show more, but he still looks at least a year away from providing meaningful contributions.

Last night was the first time I saw Sasha this season and I thought he provided the spark we needed coming off the bench. I think he's shown that he will work hard to get better and that the Lakers should exercise his option for next year. Seems like a small price to pay for potential.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:

Glad that Rambis took out Bynum, then Smush (I think - its hard to know when he is on or off the court?!?!?!) at the start of the 2nd half.

It was good seeing the ball move when players such as Jordan, Farmar, Luke, Vlad, Turiaff and LO were on the court. Evens and Sasha provides needed energy and defensive pressure to change games - a good sign.

If only Cook could defend - at least a little
If Bynum could grow up faster (impossible) with the recognition to be active/involved (very possible)
If Mihm could stay healthy and provide some needed offense (the heart/mind is willing, but is the body)
If Smush could find his head to consistently stay in games (becoming more and more apparent that it is impossible - at least for starter minutes and/or for being on the court at the end of games)
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: KINGS -vs- LAKERS -- 10/17 -- Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

PopcornMachine wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Farmar -- --
... Don't let the stat line fool you in this one. The tone of the game changed because of the play of Farmar, Turiaf and Sasha.

Don't trust stats? Don't think I like the sound of that...

Oh, but it's true!

Dude, I was wishing I had your +/- stats or the line graph showing the lineups as the caught back up...
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Vujacic seemed to do a lot more slashing/driving to the hoop. For this game, the difference from last season was that he was a bit more successful--the two baskets in the post. Also his behind-the-back dribbling looks much improved, but I still don't have that sense of trust with his handles like Odom or Farmar has.

If Phil plays Kobe and Farmar together, how is his alley-oop passing? Last season, Kobe would be on the wing and sometimes spin past his defender with the eye contact towards the ball-handler on top. Though Smush did throw up some alley-oop passes, he seemed to be hesitant in a half-court set. When Farmar made that arching pass over traffic to a wide open Laker, showed me signs that Kobe and Farmar could develop an efficient alley-oop tandem.

One of the great highlights was where Odom's at the top of the key while Farmar cuts to the basket and does a reverse layup.

Thanks DancingBarry for the great write-up.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: KINGS -vs- LAKERS -- 10/17 -- Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
PopcornMachine wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Farmar -- --
... Don't let the stat line fool you in this one. The tone of the game changed because of the play of Farmar, Turiaf and Sasha.

Don't trust stats? Don't think I like the sound of that...

Oh, but it's true!

Dude, I was wishing I had your +/- stats or the line graph showing the lineups as the caught back up...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Farmar's plus/minus has to be fantastic so far this preseason, and likely would have been even better (and the the Lakers would have won) had Sasha not been playing point for a couple minutes upon Jordan's return to the game. When those two are on the floor together, Sasha never needs to be at 1.

Good to see Sasha's added strength; he didn't look nearly as ridiculous trying to finish around the basket as he has in the last two years.

Farmar's wrap-around attempt to Cook was funny: When coming off picks, Cook is definitely a 'popper' Jordan, not a 'roller'. You'll learn soon enough.

Turiaf looks like a top 10 center in the NBA right now.

Thanks, DB. Bye, Devin Green.
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:

thanks again deeb! i really look forward to reading your report after every game
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:

the best player on the floor for the kings last night was devin green.
BeeBackLakerFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Luca Brasi wrote:
the best player on the floor for the kings last night was devin green.

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
And 1 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
targetman wrote:

Kobe will always be the fierce competitor.

That's why I think that he's gonna like playing with Farmar.

You see, in addition to possessing good ball skills and a high hoop IQ, I've noticed (primarily by watching him at UCLA) that Farmar is mentally tough as well. More times than not, when placed in adverse situations Farmar stepped up while others wilted.

Farmar is going to make his fair share of rookie mistakes. However, if presented with steady PT over the first half of the season, I'm willing to bet that those mistakes will have been dramatically reduced by the time the playoffs come around.

Kobe will appreciate having at least one other person he can count on in a Game 7 scenario.

Farmar's going to make some mistakes, but I think what we'll find is that when he's in the game the other team is going to have to take every player on the court more seriously than before. Toward the end of games that makes it a lot hard to get away with doubling and tripling Kobe, making his life a lot easier.

Farmar's gonna make mistakes. And Kobe will point them out when he does. But the difference between Jordan and some of the others is that Jordan isn't gonna run away crying. This kid is tough, and he can take the criticism. That's what Kobe needs. Yell at Smush, Smush pouts. Yell at Sasha, Sasha cries. Yell at Jordan, Jordan will suck it up and keep it moving.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: