WELCOME TO OUR NEWEST LAKER -- JORDAN FARMAR!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: WELCOME TO OUR NEWEST LAKER -- JORDAN FARMAR!!!

Yeah, I know some people are upset, but I am ecstatic.

Yeah, I'm a Bruin fan, but I was a Laker fan first, and I think this was a VERY smart pick.

Say all you want about the tri NOT needing a pure point guard, but whoever said we SHOULDN'T get a point guard is missing something.

Pure PGs run the halfocurt offense, can drive the lane, can dish or shoot from the lane or outside, can run the pick and roll, can D up the other team's PG, can be counted on in the clutch, can run a break at high speed. Farmar can do all of this.

Jordan played very well at UCLA, despite being in a methodical half-court system under Ben Howland. And if there's anything Ben Howland stresses, it's DEFENSE.

Jordan functioned very well as a shooting guard, also, moving without the ball off screens and even in regular motion (i.e. non-screen) sets.

He ran the p&r very well throughout the majority of the Pac-10 and NCAA Tournaments, hitting the outside J or slithering thru the lane.

Farmar was able to make eye-of-the-needle passes to a 7-foot bigman with lousy instincts and fumbling hands, namely Ryan Hollins. Shoot, Jordan may have set Hollins up to be drafted with his passing alone.

Jordan played much of the season on TWO sprained ankles. The kid has toughness and grit, and is certainly coachable.

Time and again, he was able to create for others or make his own shots with 6 seconds left on the clock, something none of our current players other than Kobe could do.

He has confidence and good court sense.

While not a freakish athlete, he tested above-average on all drills at Orlando, and tested very well on end-to-end speed and, obviously, his vertical.

We have a smart, strong, confident player coming in. If we get a good defensive forward in the 2nd round, a la Bobby Jones and Taj Gray, we're coming out better than expected.

Farmar is smarter and tougher than Smush or Sasha, and he has better pure skills than both of them put together.

WELCOME ABOARD, JORDAN!

MIM

Last edited by MIMLaker on Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
thetin31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:

nice post, i agree
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Mitch said they considered moving up to #20 to draft Farmar, but decided not to pay the cost and take a chance he might still be there.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject:

I agree
There are alot of haters out there who wanted an athletic freak of nature with no game. I wanted a guy with some brains for once, Kwame, Odom and Smush have none. Farmar is a solid pickup.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

I agree
There are alot of haters out there who wanted an athletic freak of nature with no game. I wanted a guy with some brains for once, Kwame, Odom and Smush have none. Farmar is a solid pickup.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

I agree
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Welcome heres some farmar for you.

http://rapidshare.de/files/24428374/Farmar_game_winning_steal-assist_vs_Gonzaga_-_Sweet_Sixteen.avi.html
Tarzan008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject:

I love it......Really love this pick.I never would have quessed farmar being around for us.I was hoping for a couple guys to drop,and getting one of them,but getting farmar at 26 is a steal.....

Most here know his game,and I believe know his incredible combine scores.42 inch vertical....

Now do we go after banks still? I think we do.Farmar backing up banks,and at times plays alongside banks,when Kobe gets some extra rest.

Another thing is that he is still 19.rated just under Lowery,Rondo,and Williams.....Give him those extra couple years,and he I think can be better than them........

Great pick.....

Last edited by Tarzan008 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:

I think it was a solid pick. I really don't know what you can be upset about. This is the same guy who helped UCLA to a number 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. He was also part of one of the best backcourts in college last year. He can play under pressure. Is considered to be a NBA ready point guard. Bought into Howland's system of defense first. Ability to thread the needle.
ValisJason
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:

I was hoping he would not fall to us because I knew Mitch would take him if available. That being said, I can definitely see the positive side to this pick. Farmar is tough and does have a high IQ. But, aside from his court vision, I think the argument against him will be that he doesnt excel at anything on the NBA level. He is not a great shooter, slasher, or defender. That being said, it certainly seems he has the potential to be decent at all of those things. He seems like the same player as Deron Williams who was, obviously, drafted much higher. In fact, I guess Farmar might even be more athletic, but less of a scorer, than D. Williams.

I think the people that complain about this pick will point out that Mitch likes high IQ, low risk guys. He doesnt tend to draft elite athletes, so the players have low ceilings in terms of potential, but may be solid NBA players. Think Cook, Walton, and Sasha. (by the way, re: poster above, Odom has a very nice hoops IQ, and I think Sasha is a smart crafty player too).

I can see Farmar being a Fisher type starter for us in a few years. Maybe he will have better athletic ability and better defense. Maybe.
32tapout
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Great points, MIM. I think the Lakers got great value at the 26 pick.

Mr. NBA Logo on 6/24/05 on Spurs fans seeking validation from Laker fans.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:

I wanted a guy with some brains for once, Kwame, Odom and Smush have none.

You can make a point without detracting, you know.

^^ Farmar

Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject:

duplicate post deleted

Last edited by Laker Lurker on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:
I agree

Lakers already have Smush and Von Wafer for those who want to watch circus acts instead of an NBA game- don't need any more.
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:

duplicate post deleted.

Last edited by Laker Lurker on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject:

deleted post

Last edited by Laker Lurker on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

I liked this pickup probably more so because I've actually had a chance to be in some classes with him in the past 2 years. I guess I'm going to be keeping the autographed UCLA jersey for a while.

As a Lakers fan, I'm also pleased since he's a good leader, can shoot the ball pretty decently, and coming from a team coached by Ben Howland can be expected to work hard to fix his shortcomings (i.e. turnovers).

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
KB0024
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject:

This will not be a popular post but Farmar's skill is vastly overrated. Against a weak Gonzaga defense headed by Derek Ravio he had trouble getting into the lane. Who could forget Mike Gansey picked Farmar's pocket clean in the closing seconds of the WVU/UCLA game? Of course, Farmar is also part of the Brandon Roy highlight film when Farmar displayed his outstanding 42 inch vertical by laying the ball up and getting it pinned.

About Farmar having better skills than Smush and Sasha, that might or might not be true. Afterall, Farmar shot 31% from the NCAA 3 point range and that certainly isn't anything to write home about. While it is true that Howland plays a system that diminishes offensive #s, he also gave Farmar the chance to dominant the ball hence his high assist numbers. I really have no problem with Farmar not being overly athletic. As Laker fans we all saw what Steve Nash did to the Lakers defense with his out of the world "physical ability". The problem is that Farmar doesn't have outstanding ball handling ability like the crafty points in the NBA. I noticed that Farmar has trouble handling the ball going to the left. Also, it's worth mentioning that Farmar is playing the toughest position in basketball, it'll be difficult for Farmar to make a contribution right away.

I'm a Laker fan and I hope that I'm completely wrong. I'll be happy to eat my words if Farmar can contribute, but this is terribly upsetting to see Lakers passing on player like Ager or White who could contribute right away as backups.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Farmar might be a good backup to develop behind Cassell if the Lakers don't get Banks.
smokestack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:

this feels a lot like the luke walton draft. am i right to think that?

im excited for farmar! more love, less hate people!
TheGreat8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:

At the spot we were at Farmar was clearly the best player on the board. I am far from a fan of his but he usually always gives maximum effort and comes throught when UCLA needed him to. Shannon Brown was the player I really wanted but Farmar is not a bad consoulation prize.

Overall, the problem Farmar has had with TOs I feel will be fixed easily. First, UCLA was a very young team and young players tend to make a lot of mistakes. Many of their players dropped passes but Farmar also had his own share of brain cramps. That should go down in time.

At least we did not draft Steve Novak whom many of my friends wanted.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Both Walton and Farmar have good instincts and play with intelligence. Farmar is much younger and seems to be more aggressive. He doesn't seem shy about shooting the ball. At 19, Farmar has a lot of upside. Walton was older and more polished coming out of college as you would expect with an older player. Walton is a solid role player. Farmar has the potential to become a starter.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

"Jordan to Kobe"

That will take some getting used to
ryuvienco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject:

I've been around these forums and I can't believe how many people are hatin on Farmar's game. I agree with most that we got the best player available. We've been labeled winners in this draft by Fox Sports, ESPN, etc... Only time can tell at this point if Mitch was right.

And yes LakersFreak... "Jordan to Kobe" will take some getting used to...
An6eLoLG
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

"Jordan to Kobe"

has a nice ring to it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: