DeMar Derozan: (2021) “I thought Lakers was a Done Deal and I was coming back home”
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: DeMar Derozan: (2021) “I thought Lakers was a Done Deal and I was coming back home”

https://t.co/i5GToeRgPg

Quote:
Demar DeRozan opens up about free agency move: 'I felt like going to the Lakers was a done deal'

LOS ANGELES — DeMar DeRozan had multiple conversations with LeBron James in the offseason. His agent, Aaron Goodwin, worked feverishly behind the scenes with the San Antonio Spurs’ front office to get details ironed out on what would have been a sign-and-trade package to send the 13-year free agent veteran to his hometown team, the Los Angeles Lakers.

DeRozan, 32, believed everyone was on the same page, but the Lakers silently began exploring another route once Russell Westbrook was made available in Washington.

The talks between the Lakers and Spurs tapered off. Reading the tea leaves, Goodwin pivoted his client in the direction of the Chicago Bulls.

There was minimal debate internally among the Lakers' brass on which player would be the right fit, but there weren't enough key backers of DeRozan. Westbrook was acquired on the day of the 2021 NBA draft.

On Monday in DeRozan’s first game against the Lakers this season, he made the purple and gold pay for brushing him to the side.

“I felt like going to the Lakers was a done deal and that we were going to figure it out. I was going to come home,” DeRozan told Yahoo Sports after scoring a game-high 38 points to lead the Bulls to a 121-103 victory at Staples Center. “The business side of things just didn’t work out. A couple of things didn’t align. It didn’t work out. It’s just part of the business, part of the game. My next option was definitely Chicago. So, looking back at it, it worked out well.

Last edited by Lonzo-Lite on Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

STFU DD, no need to pile it on. enjoy your regular season success like you did in Toronto and i'll be looking forward to see you CHOKE HARD again in playoffs.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
STFU DD, no need to pile it on. enjoy your regular season success like you did in Toronto and i'll be looking forward to see you CHOKE HARD again in playoffs.

This is the second player to talk about Lakers moves like they were a "done deal," which is really concerning about how Rob handles his business or who's in charge. The Hield deal looked "done" to those involved as well and now here's another deal that the players thought was "done" ... not a good look.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

That's interesting. I had no idea that the play for DeRozan was so far advanced. Despite what he thinks, I doubt that it really came close to happening. A sign and trade deal would have been problematic, and working things out with the Spurs would have been difficult. I discounted the rumors about DeRozan for those reasons. But apparently there was more substance to the rumors than a lot of us thought.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

This is the second player to talk about Lakers moves like they were a "done deal," which is really concerning about how Rob handles his business or who's in charge. The Hield deal looked "done" to those involved as well and now here's another deal that the players thought was "done" ... not a good look.

True, but I'd be concerned only if the other GM thought it was a done deal.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

You can also add Dwight Howard, Stint 2, to that list of "done deals magically and mysteriously being dissolved."

So, the better question is, what does King Lebron have against DeMar and Hield, and others? He is obviously vetoing these trades.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That's interesting. I had no idea that the play for DeRozan was so far advanced. Despite what he thinks, I doubt that it really came close to happening. A sign and trade deal would have been problematic, and working things out with the Spurs would have been difficult. I discounted the rumors about DeRozan for those reasons. But apparently there was more substance to the rumors than a lot of us thought.

Not sure what the details were but a sign and trade for Derozan would have hard capped us right? Not sure what he meant by a done deal. Not sure it was a done deal like the Hield trade because Kuz/KCP/Trezz would have mentioned San Antonio.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

Yeah I just saw this

:/
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

So Spurs had a done deal to S&T DeRozan to Lakers... doubt it
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

This is bullish*t, seriously.

If the "business side" didn't work out, as he said, then it was nowhere close being a "done deal".

He signed with the Bulls for $85M/3y, so he was never taking the MLE. And the Lakers never wanted to get hardcapped, so the S/T was never an option.

And bitter old man Pop would never "help" the Lakers.

Last edited by danzag on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

Didnt want him anyway

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Not sure what the details were but a sign and trade for Derozan would have hard capped us right? Not sure what he meant by a done deal. Not sure it was a done deal like the Hield trade because Kuz/KCP/Trezz would have mentioned San Antonio.

Yes, but his agent may have been telling him that it was happening.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I agree. This does not make our organization look good.

Also, De Rozen would have been a better fit than WB.

WB is simply limited.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
This is bullish*t, seriously.

If the "business side" didn't work out, as he said, then it was nowhere close being a "done deal".

He signed with the Bulls for $85M/3y, so he was never taking the MLE. And the Lakers never wanted to get hardcapped, so the S/T was never an option.

And bitter old man Pop would never "help" the Lakers.

He very clearly said he would take less to sign with the Lakers, so maybe there was a lesser deal on the table, although that would have hard-capped us and caused other issues. I'm not saying that signing DDR was the better approach to this off-season, I'm just concerned that multiple players are talking in the media about the Lakers not being forthright or reneging on deals. That's just not a good look.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

Let’s assume it was Kuz/Trez/#22 that was sent out for a S&t’d DD, which would then hard cap us at 143m.

Bron 41.2m
AD 35.4m
DD 26m
Kcp 13m
fMLE 9.5m
THT 9m
Deng 5m
Melo 1.7m
Dwight 1.7m
= 143m

So not only would DD and THT have to take haircuts, but we would have to split the fMLE 6 ways just to bring in Reaves along with other vets on slightly higher than vet min deals….and still that fields a team of 13 players.

So not entirely impossible, but nearly all the players outside Bron/AD/Kcp needed to take haircuts on their deals to make it all work under the cap apron.

Still THT/Kcp/DD/Bron/AD would make for a pretty appealing lineup as a balanced offensive/defensive unit. Also a hardcap enforced Jeanie/ownership wouldn’t have to spend a hefty tax bill since we are capped at only going 6.4m above the 136.6m tax line. So the most we pay in taxes is 9.95m in this scenario.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

Pretty close to no way. Hard capped unlike Hield or Westbrook, after the big 3 and THT you've got peanuts left to fill out. Not even Nunn is coming. Pop agrees to deal to us? We don't have a 1st to send but we did have more talent to send vs Bulls. If Hard capped? then Lonzo was also in play in we play the what if game.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject:

This guy seems to have a big mouth even though he didn’t have any success with the Raptors and especially the Spurs, it’s obvious he’s trying to pile it on with his takes.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

BS is right. There would never be a done deal between the Spurs and the Lakers. Don't people have a clue?? Pop would never, ever, ever allow it.
The only way the Spurs would have ever done a deal, would be a complete fleece on the Lakers FO.

So, no need to talk about this or debate...that's a fact....DD is full of crap.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

This does not make our organization look good.

Also, De Rozen would have been a better fit than WB.

WB is simply limited.

I’m quick to believe that Lebron has his hand in the mix when it comes to personnel decisions, but this makes me think about what was it that other agents didn’t like about Pelinka. It was said he was a hated man. Was it that he wasn’t a man of his word? The list seems to be growing yearly as we’re looking back on Caruso, Howard, Kuzma/Heild, Derozan, and maybe others who were led to believe one thing before something else happened.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
So Spurs had a done deal to S&T DeRozan to Lakers... doubt it

Yeah I don’t believe any “done deal” talk when it involves SAC or SA.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Let’s assume it was Kuz/Trez/#22 that was sent out for a S&t’d DD, which would then hard cap us at 143m.

Bron 41.2m
AD 35.4m
DD 26m
Kcp 13m
fMLE 9.5m
THT 9m
Deng 5m
Melo 1.7m
Dwight 1.7m
= 143m

So not only would DD and THT have to take haircuts, but we would have to split the fMLE 6 ways just to bring in Reaves along with other vets on slightly higher than vet min deals….and still that fields a team of 13 players.

So not entirely impossible, but nearly all the players outside Bron/AD/Kcp needed to take haircuts on their deals to make it all work under the cap apron.

Still THT/Kcp/DD/Bron/AD would make for a pretty appealing lineup as a balanced offensive/defensive unit. Also a hardcap enforced Jeanie/ownership wouldn’t have to spend a hefty tax bill since we are capped at only going 6.4m above the 136.6m tax line. So the most we pay in taxes is 9.95m in this scenario.

This scenario, while hard to imagine, at least makes more sense for ownership. As you've mentioned several times, we got cheap despite choosing the more flexible option. Why not just get hard capped with the better roster?

This scenario also involves Caruso leaving for nothing?

Last edited by PenG_ on Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:

Yeah, it's hard to imagine how the numbers for a Derozan sign and trade would have worked.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:

Here’s some more context to the story…reported by the Athletic almost 2 months ago:

Quote:
Sources said Pelinka and his front-office group strongly considered executing a sign-and-trade for the 32-year-old DeRozan, giving up Kuzma and Caldwell-Pope in the process, but couldn’t come to consensus terms with the Spurs in free agency or a suitable contract number for DeRozan,” The Athletic detailed. “What’s more, sources say the DeRozan option never advanced to the point that it was presented to Buss.”

“One of those potential moves involved DeMar DeRozan, a Compton, Calif., native and former USC star,” The Athletic noted. “He took part in two such meetings at James’ home and had separate ongoing phone conversations with James. His conversations with the Lakers co-stars had gone well, with the then-soon-to-be free agent discussing all the ways in which he thought this new star trio might work.

“With four All-Star Games and a pair of appearances on All-NBA teams to his name, the longtime Toronto Raptor who had spent the previous three seasons with San Antonio, emerged from his meetings with that locker room brain trust believing he was their priority and he might soon be playing in the purple and gold.”

“Yet as the process unfolded, concerns emerged from DeRozan’s side about a perceived disconnect between the Lakers stars and the front office,” The Athletic explained. “Were the opinions being shared in the player meetings the same as the front office’s view? Did the left hand know, in essence, what the right hand was doing? …Whatever conversations James and Davis had when they encountered other players, they did on their own time and interest.”

“There was genuine excitement shared in the player meetings about how DeRozan would fit,” The Athletic added. “Even if he wasn’t the Lakers’ first choice, it was easy to envision a scenario where he would be their best available option. For the Lakers, according to those with knowledge of the situation, it was imperative to keep as many potential avenues open as possible.”

https://theathletic.com/2848702/2021/09/27/superstar-shopping-lebron-russell-westbrook-and-the-lakers-summer-of-recruiting/

So from that disconnect, it appears the compromise was Russ. Another star for the klutch duo to run with….FO/ownership gets to eat off the profits from a 3star roster (Buddy vs DD or Russ). Also compromise between free spending (3rd star) and capping the spending (followed by vet min deals to minimize tax hit). That’s my best guess as to what may have happened.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: DeMar Derozan: “I thought Lakers was a Done Deal, I was coming Home”

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
https://t.co/i5GToeRgPg

Quote:
Demar DeRozan opens up about free agency move: 'I felt like going to the Lakers was a done deal'

LOS ANGELES — DeMar DeRozan had multiple conversations with LeBron James in the offseason. His agent, Aaron Goodwin, worked feverishly behind the scenes with the San Antonio Spurs’ front office to get details ironed out on what would have been a sign-and-trade package to send the 13-year free agent veteran to his hometown team, the Los Angeles Lakers.

DeRozan, 32, believed everyone was on the same page, but the Lakers silently began exploring another route once Russell Westbrook was made available in Washington.

The talks between the Lakers and Spurs tapered off. Reading the tea leaves, Goodwin pivoted his client in the direction of the Chicago Bulls.

There was minimal debate internally among the Lakers' brass on which player would be the right fit, but there weren't enough key backers of DeRozan. Westbrook was acquired on the day of the 2021 NBA draft.

On Monday in DeRozan’s first game against the Lakers this season, he made the purple and gold pay for brushing him to the side.

“I felt like going to the Lakers was a done deal and that we were going to figure it out. I was going to come home,” DeRozan told Yahoo Sports after scoring a game-high 38 points to lead the Bulls to a 121-103 victory at Staples Center. “The business side of things just didn’t work out. A couple of things didn’t align. It didn’t work out. It’s just part of the business, part of the game. My next option was definitely Chicago. So, looking back at it, it worked out well.

hard to believe that lakers would have taken hard cap for dd.
of course unless he was willing to accept taxpayer mle
that would be a big proven plus over nunn, so no reason to walk away from that.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

“Unless you go there and win seven championships, there’s no overshadowing who played (with the Lakers) for 20 years.”
— Demar Derozan

https://thecommittedgeneration.com/kobe-shadow-affecting-lakers-free-agency/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: