Building out the Coaching Staff...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject: Building out the Coaching Staff...

Names so far are Scott Brooks, Rajon Rondo, Jared Dudley (really?), who else?

Should Phil Handy come back?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Not going to lie, the UCI Anteater in me would love to have Scottie Brooks.
Heard that Marc Stein mentioned SVG
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Hoping Handy is back... I mean, they mentioned developing like 17 times why not have the best guy in the biz... but I don't know if that's even a slight possibility after firing the whole Ham staff.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn’t mind the van gundy bros, Dudley

Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject:

I want Rondo AND Handy onboard.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully they end up with one solid former HC that knows his role. Rondo sounds like a great hire as long as he interviews well with JJ.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Me too….I still remember Scotty lighting up the Bren
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
Me too….I still remember Scotty lighting up the Bren
this fellow Anteater (who remembers when Crawford Hall was the only venue - lol) would like Scottie Brooks
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject:

What did Brooks ever do to no longer be an NBA Head Coach? He was the coach of the OKC big three of Durant, Harden, and Westbrook that made it to the finals. And which took us to six games in the first round in 2010.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:13 am    Post subject:

Brooks would be a start. I’d love to get SVG but it depends if he’s ready for it after his wife passing

Bickerstaff?
#18 next...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:54 am    Post subject:

You need more than Brooks and Rondo...

You need an actual good and solid and experienced Coach or all this means nothing.

Otherwise you're gonna have a bunch of first timers and a mediocre Coach trying to teach a first timer how to Coach.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:32 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I wouldn’t mind the van gundy bros, Dudley

JVG signed with the Clippers.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:36 am    Post subject:

Still no assistant coaches hired?

How is this not worked out by now. Redick had to have been talking to coaches to add over the past week or so. Not that difficult to have this ready to go. Contract negotiations? Management interference? Lack of interest to join the staff or situation?

The delays make me wonder just how bad it is behind the scenes. Are these established coaches passing on the opportunity for a reason? Coaching is a small community, have to wonder what the real story is. Because this does not seem like business as usual.

Really trying to be positive with Redick. Hoping for the best. But it is difficult to build up much enthusiasm with how this has played out since the end of the season. Hoping the draft can infuse some energy to overcome my apathy as a fan.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:52 am    Post subject:

The set of rumored names (Brooks, Rondo, Dudley) honestly sucks to me. Like Rondo could be a nice inclusion as a 4th or 5th assistant. He needs to learn the coaching ropes too. Dudley was a development guy in Dallas, which is hardly inspired considering he was basically a catch-and-shoot guy his entire career. What is he teaching? Brooks was hardly inspiring in Washington and then assisted for a putrid Portland team. He was reportedly demoted there, and then fired. Like, what exactly is compelling about him other than being able to say "this guy took a team to the Finals 12 years ago!"

Redick's statement about wanting "young, hungry coaches" is also not inspiring a lot of confidence. That's how Luke Walton filled out his staff.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject:

what about calling up some of his Duke guys, shane battier could be a good choice to develop out 3 and D guys
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
The set of rumored names (Brooks, Rondo, Dudley) honestly sucks to me. Like Rondo could be a nice inclusion as a 4th or 5th assistant. He needs to learn the coaching ropes too. Dudley was a development guy in Dallas, which is hardly inspired considering he was basically a catch-and-shoot guy his entire career. What is he teaching? Brooks was hardly inspiring in Washington and then assisted for a putrid Portland team. He was reportedly demoted there, and then fired. Like, what exactly is compelling about him other than being able to say "this guy took a team to the Finals 12 years ago!"

Redick's statement about wanting "young, hungry coaches" is also not inspiring a lot of confidence. That's how Luke Walton filled out his staff.

Same
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject:

Does Terry Stotts plan to coach in the NBA next season or is he retired? I think he would be good.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject:

Sounds like somebody who has given some thought to what type of support JJ is going to need....

Quote:
Stan Van Gundy, Redick’s former coach, said there’s a long list of things Redick is going to have to deal with in his transition from player-turned-broadcaster to broadcaster-turned-coach. And while he believes in his former player’s ability to figure it out and succeed, there are just some things you have to experience first.

“He’s a guy who took losing very hard as a player,” Van Gundy said of Redick during a phone interview with The Times on Monday. “And It’s nothing compared to the way that will hit him as a coach, that first game that he loses at the buzzer or down close by two, you know, at the end. And that stuff tears you up.

“It tears you up.”

Van Gundy said Redick will have to adjust to the vast responsibilities and pressure an NBA coach faces on game day.

“I remember Chuck Daly saying a long time ago that, um, you know, a pro coach, an NBA coach makes more decisions in the last two minutes of a game than a college coach makes in an entire season,” Van Gundy said. “So, you know, so there’s just a lot going on.”

There are obviously the multitude of in-game decisions tasked to a coach, ranging from big-picture implementation of philosophies down to coaching players to set screens at specific angles (something Redick mentioned during his news conference Monday). But there are also heaps of logistics, Van Gundy said, managing practice schedules, helping organize travel plans (and hotel preferences) and being responsible as a leader in a way that no other NBA job really requires.

“You’ve got a lot of stuff that you have to do,” Van Gundy said. “And so you know, it’s just a day of decisions and managing your time becomes a real big one because you know, you’re in there, you’re trying to get work done, you’re trying to get time to think, watch, film, whatever and everybody wants a piece of your time.”

Van Gundy coached Redick in Orlando for five seasons. He said the long list of decisions and responsibility, to him, make it more plausible for someone like Redick to become a head coach without any experience as an assistant because assistant coaches don’t carry the same responsibilities as a head coach.

“Even when you’ve been an assistant, you’re not ready until you do it,” Van Gundy said. “You’re just not. So I don’t look at that as debilitating in any way. Like until you’re sitting in the head coach’s chair and handling all of those responsibilities, you’re not ready.

“JJ will be fine with all that. I don’t think there’s anything that we’re talking about that’s beyond him or even close to beyond him. I mean, he’ll be fine. But there’s a learning curve. And you know, the Lakers could have somebody who could be very, very good for a long, long time. But, it’s going to take a little time, and they’ve got to give him some time.”

RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Stan Van Gundy would be a great get
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Stan seems like a lick. Arenas was telling stories about him and he may not be able to relate to guys.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Stan seems like a lick. Arenas was telling stories about him and he may not be able to relate to guys.

The guy bringing guns to the locker room didn't like a hard nosed coach...who woulda thought.

I like Arenas, and maybe he's basketball scoring smart, but outside of that, dude comes off like a moron half the time he opens his mouth.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Why bring up the quote but twist it ? He said he wants experienced, former head coaches, as the main assistants but wants young and hungry up and coming coaches in the second row.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I want Handy back
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject:

https://x.com/mcten/status/1806740067228278812?s=46

Dwane Casey
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject:

Interesting

Quote:
Chris Haynes: New Orleans Pelicans associate head coach James Borrego has removed himself from consideration for the Detroit Pistons head coach opening, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport. –

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: