Should the Lakers tank the first play-in game to avoid Denver?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tank the play-in game against New Orleans to avoid Denver?
Yes
16%
 16%  [ 14 ]
No
83%
 83%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 85

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:
This is a tough call man.

I can think of multiple reasons why we should or shouldn't tank the next game to avoid Denver.
I can't even vote on this one. It's too close to call.
'

Not a tough call at all. You don't ever play with fire. GSW/Kings have owned us this season as well.

Not as much as Denver has though. We've beaten the Kings and GSW.

Lemme put it this way. If you don't think we could beat the Kings or Warriors even once, then what makes you think we could beat Denver 4 times?

Which is harder?

One win over Kings/Warriors + four wins over Thunder

or

Four wins over Denver

We're 3-1 against OKC btw.

It isn't a given we beat the Kings or GS.

Bro, it's not a given. I'm just asking which is harder? Beating them once and then beating OKC four times or beating Denver four times?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I can think of multiple reasons why we should or shouldn't tank the next game to avoid Denver.
'

Not a tough call at all. You don't ever play with fire. GSW/Kings have owned us this season as well.

Not as much as Denver has though. We've beaten the Kings and GSW.

Lemme put it this way. If you don't think we could beat the Kings or Warriors even once, then what makes you think we could beat Denver 4 times?

Which is harder?

One win over Kings/Warriors + four wins over Thunder

or

Four wins over Denver

We're 3-1 against OKC btw.

It isn't a given we beat the Kings or GS.

Bro, it's not a given. I'm just asking which is harder? Beating them once and then beating OKC four times or beating Denver four times?

Winning a championship is hard. OKC would be ideal if it happens organically, like we really get beat Tuesday and win Thursday. Just have to play every game to win
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject:

They are going to have to get thru Denver then Phoenix and then Dallas. It's not going to be easy.
Best case scenario was Min/OKC then NOP and then Denver.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Perfect example of why teams should ignore their fans
lakerfansd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject:

If we play Denver and we lose we weren't good enough this year which I can accept looking at our roster and flaws.
As Ric Flair said: To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Woooo!

In all seriousness, risking tanking a game for single game elimination is not worth it. Draymond could "accidentally" hit AD in the face or Lebron in Le Jewels causing an injury. Kings are not a good match-up.

Go Lakers!!!

Last edited by lakerfansd on Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Fade LG poll has typically been the correct choice. LG has spoken. Time to fade it!! We rest all our starters against New Orleans and we take our chances against Warriors or Kings!!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

This is actually a good debate.
And you can't really talk. You are more of a Clippers fan than a Lakers fan
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:

'

Agree, this isn’t a tough call at all for a winner. There’s too much risk, “you play to win the game!”
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Win every game and duck nobody if you want to consider yourself a title team. Beat Denver don't duck them, and if you can't, go home and re-tool for next season.

Exactly
Championship teams win on the road. Lakers just need to split one in Denver. Game 1 is the best chance imo, nuggets have 6 days off while lakers will only have 3 but will already be going in with momentum.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:43 pm    Post subject:

my initial thought was the Lakers wouldn't tank, but might sit AD and let the chips fall where they may. But it seems he's going to play. They're not gonna tank.

You have to play the Nuggets at some point. You can't hope to win a title ducking a team, least of all the defending champs. You have to play them. There's no West team that presents a bad matchup for them.

It's better to play them now, in the first round, where there's 2-3 days off in between games. The Lakers got gassed in the every-other-day schedule of the WCF, especially having to play in Denver, with their airport that's three hours from the arena. Play them in Round 1 and either slay the beast or get the heartbreak over with asap.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Crush NO and rest up for DEN. LFG!
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:05 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
my initial thought was the Lakers wouldn't tank, but might sit AD and let the chips fall where they may. But it seems he's going to play. They're not gonna tank.

You have to play the Nuggets at some point. You can't hope to win a title ducking a team, least of all the defending champs. You have to play them. There's no West team that presents a bad matchup for them.

It's better to play them now, in the first round, where there's 2-3 days off in between games. The Lakers got gassed in the every-other-day schedule of the WCF, especially having to play in Denver, with their airport that's three hours from the arena. Play them in Round 1 and either slay the beast or get the heartbreak over with asap.

nice explaination
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
kikanga wrote:

'

Agree, this isn’t a tough call at all for a winner. There’s too much risk, “you play to win the game!”

also 1 minor injury for ad and bron then which only need sit 1 game is also a risk.
Robblake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject:

If they are ducking anyone then it’s not a championship squad in the first place
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:14 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
How is KCP shooting over 40% from three this season? He was shooting in the low thirties when he was with us and he was getting the same open looks.

I hate Denver so much!!!! It's like they were built to beat us!

DLO needs to go beastmode!!! We can OUTSCORE them. We will score on every possession!!

KCP averaged 37.8% from the three in four seasons with the Lakers. In his final season—right before we traded him—he shot 41.0% from the three. AND he played excellent defense.

I still can’t believe we gave up KCP, a first, and more to get Westbrook, who then cost us another first to dump.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject:

The championship goes through Denver.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject:

Beat who is in front of us and worry about the next team when the current job is done.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

nice explaination

Not sure where you got the impression the airport is “3 hours” from arena. It is about 30 mins. Even at peak times the traffic is nowhere near the LAX freeway nightmare to get anywhere.

Lakers have no good matchups in a series. They are a playin team grasping for relevancy due to their star power. Most top teams are eager to play them and claim their own star power by beating the Lakers.

Lakers do not have the luxury to pick and choose matchups. They need to play each and every game with an intensity and focus they have not shown to have. Hoping they can string some wins together. Starting with NO.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject:

Robblake wrote:
If they are ducking anyone then it’s not a championship squad in the first place

We have been ducking teams all season. We rested Lebron and Anthony against Boston.
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject:

It sucks that the Nuggets wound up with the 2 seed. But I still think the best path is to win and get the 7 seed for several reasons:

1) If you have to face Denver with their altitude advantage, the best time to face them is in round one when there is the most days of rest between games and where the Lakers players are the freshest they will be all playoffs.

2) Jamal Murray is not 100 percent yet since coming back from his injury.

3) The gap between the Nuggets and the Lakers isn't as great as the head-to-head record indicates. Last year in the playoffs the Lakers had a hobbled LeBron who couldn't hit threes, a totally useless DeAngelo Russell, and a simplistic offensive scheme that didn't take advantage of Jokic's one defensive weakness - his struggle stepping out to the three point line and guarding out in space. In round one the Lakers will have a healthy LeBron who is shooting 41 percent from three, DLo in the midst of a career renaissance, and a five out offensive scheme that will at least ask questions of Jokic.

4) If the Lakers lose the 7/8 game they then must play a do or die game against a high powered offensive team on Friday before going on the road two days later. That is the most exhausting path. If they win, their team - especially guys like Reaves (who has played all 82), Bron, and AD - will get some much needed rest. And any extra game means additional possibility of injury for the Lakers key rotation players.

5) There is no guarantee the Lakers will beat the Kings or the Warriors. I believe the Lakers are better than both teams. But whenever you face a high powered offense in one game, you run the risk of them just hitting a million threes and just losing on that alone.

6) If the Lakers lose the 7/8 and wind up advancing, chances are that they will still have to face Denver down the road anyway. Do we really think that the Pelicans or the Suns/Wolves will beat them? But now in the conference finals, the Lakers lose all the advantages of #1 above, and instead have to play every other day in a series with 4 of 7 games being in altitude. And they'd have to do so after going through OKC and then a difficult second round against either Clippers or Mavs.

Don't tempt the basketball gods. Win and advance.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject:

Let me put it clearly, a one game elimination game is much much much more risky than a 7 game series. Plus we ain’t ducking crap if we serious about a championship run
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
leking006 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

nice explaination

Not sure where you got the impression the airport is “3 hours” from arena. It is about 30 mins. Even at peak times the traffic is nowhere near the LAX freeway nightmare to get anywhere.

Lakers have no good matchups in a series. They are a playin team grasping for relevancy due to their star power. Most top teams are eager to play them and claim their own star power by beating the Lakers.

Lakers do not have the luxury to pick and choose matchups. They need to play each and every game with an intensity and focus they have not shown to have. Hoping they can string some wins together. Starting with NO.

While I agree that the Lakers don't have the luxury of throwing a play in game and should definitely try to beat the Pelicans, I disagree that the Lakers have no good matchups. The Lakers are a nightmare for teams that don't have great size or who employ a big man who is slow and groundbound. They have demolished OKC this year. They have dominated New Orleans. They have done well against Phoenix. And we know from last season's playoffs, that the Lakers frontcourt is too much for the Warriors. I would pick the Lakers against any of those teams in a seven game series.

And I definitely disagree that good teams would want to face the Lakers. The Lakers have experienced players. And LeBron and AD have been excellent playoff performers throughout their career. This team was in the Western Conference Finals just last season. The Lakers won't be an easy out even for teams who have matchup advantages against the Lakers. From what I've read, there's an understanding around the league that the Lakers are better than their record indicates. They are the 8th seed record-wise due to a confluence of factors (primarily Ham's lineup stubborness for 2/3 of the season) but, particularly in a playoff setting, the Lakers are far more dangerous than many of the teams ahead of them in the standings.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Robblake wrote:

We have been ducking teams all season. We rested Lebron and Anthony against Boston.

Whether that's true or not doesn't matter because the goal wasn't to intentionally lose either way (spoiler alert: we won that game). What some "fans" are advocating for here is to intentionally lose. There is no scenario where I would ever root for that no matter what the 4D chess experts try to calculate.

The principal is clear: in the end, scared money don't make money. Any team that goes out of its way to lose on purpose does not deserve to win a championship, period.

Last edited by joeblow on Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject:

We're not the Clippers.....we're the Lakers we embrace the tougher path, to be the best you have to beat the best and I'd rather get Denver earlier in the playoffs when the squad as a whole is likely to be healthiest...Vando is the big factor for more time, but even at this stage I think Vandos contributions if and when he comes back may need to be tamped down in terms of expectations, he's been out a while now....of course Vando could easily prove me wrong because he has such a fantastic motor...
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject:

It’s laughable that some of you think the Lakers are in a position to pick and choose whom to face. Don’t be so gullible due to this team’s one-game performance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: