OJ Simpson dead at age 76
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
What a life he lived. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows.

I don't know bout the lowest of the lows part . . . he lived a mostly free life for 30 years after getting away with brutally murdering 2 people.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

I really don't think it can be understated just how huge this all was beginning in June of 1994. He was a big-time celebrity, a handsome, charismatic, Hall of Fame football player who was a fixture of NFL coverage, then became a movie star and a TV pitchman. The murders and the immediate aftermath and then the trial absolutely dominated TV/media coverage for 16 months straight. It was the biggest story in the United States, easily, for well over a year. It was a circus and a feeding frenzy. A literal industry was birthed from all of this coverage.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject:

^
It was pretty big even in Europe. I remember watching the trial on CNN International in Germany, recognizing him from the Naked Gun movies. My English wasn't any good and I could barely understand the legal language, but I was glued to the TV.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:09 pm    Post subject:

stabby mcslice ruined after school TV forevermore

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:54 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:

I really don't think it can be understated just how huge this all was beginning in June of 1994. He was a big-time celebrity, a handsome, charismatic, Hall of Fame football player who was a fixture of NFL coverage, then became a movie star and a TV pitchman. The murders and the immediate aftermath and then the trial absolutely dominated TV/media coverage for 16 months straight. It was the biggest story in the United States, easily, for well over a year. It was a circus and a feeding frenzy. A literal industry was birthed from all of this coverage.

I was fresh out of HS and working at JC Pennys that summer. I just remember the TV in the break room was set to the news and it was 24/7 coverage for weeks after the Bronco chase. Not sure if this impacted the sales #'s but the Bronco was discontinued a few years later until the new model 25 years later.

Rodney King and OJ was freaking huge.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Nicole Minet @mouvement33

I've been waiting 29 years to tell this story about OJ and his days at USC. Now that he's dead (may he burn in hell) I have a story that I signed an NDA for that is no longer valid. I was a junior at USC working in Topping Student Center on campus in 1995. I was an administrative assistant to the President of Student Affairs that semester in the work/study program.

In early 1995, Robert Shapiro and Robert Kardashian (USC Alumni) walked up to my desk and said they had an appt with my boss. I was studying to be a criminal defense lawyer with a dual major in PoliSci and International Relations so I knew who they were. The meeting lasted about 30 mins.

After they left I looked at my boss like wtf was that all about!? He walked me outside and we sat by the old sprawling big tree outside Topping and my boss lit a cigarette for the first time in years and told me I had to sign an NDA because I could confirm OJ's lawyers were there for a meeting. Then he told me what the meeting was about.

Before OJ could graduate from USC, the university paid off two families of two blonde white girls that he had dated and battered. They had both gone to the LAPD to report it. One claimed he also sexually assaulted her in their relationship. The school had a vested interest in OJ going far in football and protected him at all costs. OJ had been in custody for 6 months and lawyers were in the discovery process for the trial and OJ's friend Robert Kardashian, who knew OJ from also being a student at USC, thought it would be best if those stories never saw the light of day. So a large check was written, given to my boss, and they left. I'll never forget holding that check.

Now, did you hear about this before now? Nope. That's how much power money enables.

After he was acquitted I changed my major to Philosophy/Psychology double major. I understood that I could harm society more than not if I pursued law. This is also why I abhor the Kardashians. They're rich thugs. Nothing more. #OJISDEAD
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject:

Frustrating to read online all the ignorant people in the world that call the guy innocent. Sure, he was found innocent in the criminal trial but we all know why. Terrible prosecution team coupled with a strong defense team and a country that was racially divided after the Rodney King/Riots of 1991/1992.

Read any comprehensive account of the events and he killed Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman. Period. Not sure why folks still think he is innocent. The bronco chase, remember that? He was trying to flee the police and had a gun at his head. He was guilty, guilty, guilty. And lastly, he was found guilty in the civil trial and did not pay the victim's family a dime.

Horrible man, horrible human - burn in hell.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject:

You should only say good things about the dead.

OJ Simpson is dead. Good.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

1000% .. OJ dying made the world a slightly better place today..
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

1000% .. OJ dying made the world a slightly better place today..

he was terrible. The fact that he seemed to taunt the Goldmans ( probably just in my mind) was gross. Finally. cancer got it right.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Nicole Minet @mouvement33

I've been waiting 29 years to tell this story about OJ and his days at USC. Now that he's dead (may he burn in hell) I have a story that I signed an NDA for that is no longer valid. I was a junior at USC working in Topping Student Center on campus in 1995. I was an administrative assistant to the President of Student Affairs that semester in the work/study program.

In early 1995, Robert Shapiro and Robert Kardashian (USC Alumni) walked up to my desk and said they had an appt with my boss. I was studying to be a criminal defense lawyer with a dual major in PoliSci and International Relations so I knew who they were. The meeting lasted about 30 mins.

After they left I looked at my boss like wtf was that all about!? He walked me outside and we sat by the old sprawling big tree outside Topping and my boss lit a cigarette for the first time in years and told me I had to sign an NDA because I could confirm OJ's lawyers were there for a meeting. Then he told me what the meeting was about.

Before OJ could graduate from USC, the university paid off two families of two blonde white girls that he had dated and battered. They had both gone to the LAPD to report it. One claimed he also sexually assaulted her in their relationship. The school had a vested interest in OJ going far in football and protected him at all costs. OJ had been in custody for 6 months and lawyers were in the discovery process for the trial and OJ's friend Robert Kardashian, who knew OJ from also being a student at USC, thought it would be best if those stories never saw the light of day. So a large check was written, given to my boss, and they left. I'll never forget holding that check.

Now, did you hear about this before now? Nope. That's how much power money enables.

After he was acquitted I changed my major to Philosophy/Psychology double major. I understood that I could harm society more than not if I pursued law. This is also why I abhor the Kardashians. They're rich thugs. Nothing more. #OJISDEAD

I actually heard something similar in the past about OJ. I also graduated college in Psychology/Philosophy but became an accountant.

However while this is very believable I agree with some of the commenters mentioning where's this NDA she signed? Also aren't NDA's unenforceable if a crime is involved?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Q: what was Oj’s what as word on his computer?
A: \|\|\| escape
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
. . . he lived a mostly free life for 30 years after getting away with brutally murdering 2 people.

This is the part I think a lot of people forget or simply don't want to think about.

This guy butchered two people to death with a knife. The level of violence was absolutely insane, Nicole was nearly decapitated and Ron had fought a desperate fight for his life before being slaughtered.

It is about as evil as it gets and if there is any true justice in the afterlife, he would be deserving of facing it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
The fact that he seemed to taunt the Goldmans ( probably just in my mind) was gross..

No, he totally did.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
. . . he lived a mostly free life for 30 years after getting away with brutally murdering 2 people.

This is the part I think a lot of people forget or simply don't want to think about.

This guy butchered two people to death with a knife. The level of violence was absolutely insane, Nicole was nearly decapitated and Ron had fought a desperate fight for his life before being slaughtered.

It is about as evil as it gets and if there is any true justice in the afterlife, he would be deserving of facing it.

Any experienced homicide detective knows that kind of intimate murder typical only occurs at the hands of someone extremely close to the victim.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject:

This may sound hyperbolic, but I put that whole trial on the cultural level of an event like the moon landing and the Kennedy assassination and 9/11. Where time and culture is divided into before and after.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
This may sound hyperbolic, but I put that whole trial on the cultural level of an event like the moon landing and the Kennedy assassination and 9/11. Where time and culture is divided into before and after.

It kicked off the reality tv era and news-as-entertainment era. Sadly, we never recovered and that's partly how we ended up with realty-TV-fake-successful-businessman-Trump and an entire political party brainwashed by one news network to believe the opposite of the truth. So there's that.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject:

OJ trial ended afternoon cartoons
The beginning of reality TV
The beginning of car chases on local news
An entire industry dedicated to the salacious lives of celebrities, think TMZ, etc.
The beginning of the end of scripted programming because real life was more interesting.
And probably the biggest modern day consequence, it brought us the Kardashians.....
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
OJ trial ended afternoon cartoons
The beginning of reality TV
The beginning of car chases on local news
An entire industry dedicated to the salacious lives of celebrities, think TMZ, etc.
The beginning of the end of scripted programming because real life was more interesting.
And probably the biggest modern day consequence, it brought us the Kardashians.....

The Soap Opera Genre also was walking a death march. However yes that's what I remember.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject:

I just want say an extra (bleep)-you to OJ who never paid the Goldman family a dime from their lawsuit. And now the executor of OJ's estate said he will make it his mission to carry out OJ's last wishes to make sure the Goldmans never see a single penny of the estate. (bleep) you a-hole, hope it's a billion degrees in hell for all eternity and you have to watch what you did on the big screen viewer in hell over and over again.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I just want say an extra (bleep)-you to OJ who never paid the Goldman family a dime from their lawsuit. And now the executor of OJ's estate said he will make it his mission to carry out OJ's last wishes to make sure the Goldmans never see a single penny of the estate. (bleep) you a-hole, hope it's a billion degrees in hell for all eternity and you have to watch what you did on the big screen viewer in hell over and over again.

How does OJ compare to Claus Von Bulow & Robert Blake in your thinking?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

How does OJ compare to Claus Von Bulow & Robert Blake in your thinking?

I hope they are burning in hell too.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
32 wrote:

I was fresh out of HS and working at JC Pennys that summer. I just remember the TV in the break room was set to the news and it was 24/7 coverage for weeks after the Bronco chase. Not sure if this impacted the sales #'s but the Bronco was discontinued a few years later until the new model 25 years later.

Rodney King and OJ was freaking huge.

We're the same age. I graduated a day or two before the chase. We drove down to a buddy's house in Rosarito to party and when we got there the chase was on and we watched for a while and then drank our faces off.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Any experienced homicide detective knows that kind of intimate murder typical only occurs at the hands of someone extremely close to the victim.

Not saying I'm a homicide detective or psychologist, not even close, but I have little doubt that the same sentiments permeate the psychology field as well. And for good reason.

It's really a classic pattern of an uncontrollable menace who wants to make it up close and personal for the target of his rage. R.I.P....Nicole & Ron
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Not saying I'm a homicide detective or psychologist, not even close, but I have little doubt that the same sentiments permeate the psychology field as well. And for good reason.

It's really a classic pattern of an uncontrollable menace who wants to make it up close and personal for the target of his rage. R.I.P....Nicole & Ron

Oh for sure. That's how homicide detectives made the connection, through their interactions with psychologists. Even when killers choose a knife as a method for their desire to randomly kill, it's just that, totally random, targeting no one specific in a public place. Obviously there are select exceptions, but the patterns are the norm.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: