Bubble chip vs Boston's path

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

20/20 hindsight, you guys taking the Bubble blue pill or the Red Tatum pill?
Blue Bubble Chip
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
Red Tatum Pill
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject: Bubble chip vs Boston's path

I'm curious what the sentiment is around here. As you know, Boston essentially took our leftovers, and now seemingly has a brighter future. We took Ingram, they took Brown. We took Lonzo, they took Tatum. We cashed in everything and got that 2020 chip. Boston still hasn't won anything, but seemingly has a bigger window.

Lets assume if we have taken Tatum, he develops into the exact same player. Same thing with Brown. I think Ingram is better than Brown, but lets assume either one would work well with Tatum.

Knowing our financial situation and draft assets going forward. Do we make the same decision again? You know the "bird in hand" saying. Or, would you rather give that 2020 chip back and roll the dice with Tatum/Ingram or Tatum/Brown? Again, assume identical growth in this parallel scenario. Meaning Tatum and Ingram or Brown in LA in 2024 are sitting at 48-14 and looking like title contenders for years to come.

You guys taking the Bubble blue chip or the Red Tatum pill?
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Hahahaha everyone knows my stance on Tatum. It should be obvious how I picked.

Edit: Actually putting more thought on this: Its a AD vs Tatum and Brown question. Hypothetically with Bron as our #1 in 2020, I think we likely still win the chip in 2020 with Tatum and Brown. In terms of asset management and future, despite my feelings against Tatum, that may be the way to go and you limit Tatum's softness and overreliance as a #1 because that would be Bron's role.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject:

If we are doing do-over drafts, can we pick Nikola Jokic over Julius Randle?

I also doubt Jayson and Jalen would be the #1 seed in the West. The East is just a vastly inferior conference. I think our current squad would be a top 3 seed in the East.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Yea not sure it works that way… Fact is they passed up on both guys way before Lebron got here.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject:

A bird in hand...
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:55 pm    Post subject:

I think Tatum is a Jerry West/Mitch type pick. If there were no coupe, no desire to exile D'Angelo... you could be looking at Tatum/BI/Russell growing together. I think even Lebron underestimated his own biological clock and did not want to wait. He'd be in a better situation, deeper team, bigger window.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I think Tatum is a Jerry West/Mitch type pick. If there were no coupe, no desire to exile D'Angelo... you could be looking at Tatum/BI/Russell growing together. I think even Lebron underestimated his own biological clock and did not want to wait. He'd be in a better situation, deeper team, bigger window.

The one time West was forced into a high pick situation, he selected Worthy over Wilkins and Cummings and supposedly preferred Moncrief over Johnson. Then lets remember the three relatively high first round picks in 1992-1994 of Anthony Peeler of Missouri, George Lynch of North Carolina and Eddie Jones of Temple. What we can glean from a lot of these cases is he does seem to typically favor kids from the bigger schools with the name pedigree and naturally seems to go with naturally athletic, long two-way players. Another note: the players he picks or wants to pick does not seem to always fit consensus as Moncrief, Lynch (he was the backup for who the Lakers really wanted which was to trade up for Vin Baker and if that was not possible, select Lindsey Hunter) and Jones (Khalid Reaves and Jalen Rose were the bigger names) definitely were NOT the consensus picks for the Lakers at the time. Meanwhile, Worthy and Peeler (who was viewed as a no-brainer lottery pick who fell cause of legal issues) I believe were the picks, most experts would have picked for the Lakers.

Last point: West could have acquired Jason Kidd from his young Dallas days when he was offered the young point guard for Nick Van Exel. West turned them down and he was later traded to Phoenix. Why bring this up? Obviously the similarity brought up often between UCLA Lonzo Ball and Jason Kidd.

All this to say, Tatum DOES seem like a possible West pick
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject:

I rag on Tatum a lot, but the Ingram-Tatum duo would have been lit. That's two solid foundations for a contending team. BI's playmaking would help Tatum score more efficiently (which is one of my biggest gripes with him), and Tatum would help free up BI to facilitate more.

However, I won't take the opportunity to criticize Zo. He never really had a chance to prove himself due to his injury situation. Chicago dropped out of contention when he got hurt, which just shows he was arguably the most valuable player on that team. LaMelo is obviously the better player, but people sleep on Zo's ability to unlock an offense.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject:

I love the 2020 championship but unfortunately I think the Celtics are going to win it all this year and will be favorites to win it all for the next half decade. It’s hard to argue a ring vs no ring but when the dust settles I think the Celtics are going to be ahead in rings and would have given their fans a good 10 year run. Us? We got one ring and a magical WCF run and not sure we will get anything else going forward but the year in year out playin pain.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject:

Strange poll, based on what happened with the bubble chip then retroactively considering selecting Brown/Tatum would just mean that they would have been traded for AD instead of BI/Ball.

I like the draft selections during those lottery years with the exception of me wanting Fox over Ball. I felt like daddy Ball did the hypnotic Jedi mind trick on Magic when it seemed based on their collegiate head to head games that Fox was obviously better. Like minds tend to gravitate so I felt like Magic fell for the father’s similar bravado to his own personality and drafted as such. Anyway, I digress because what difference does it make? Whoever it was would’ve been traded for AD as fore-said.

I think that our draft picks were comparable even to it looks like Foston may have got the slightly better player in each instance. We just sold them for a ship and could have had just as bright a future if better decisions elsewhere were made not even considering the Westbrook debacle.
Randle/Lopez/Caruso/Drummond/Schroeder.

Randle vs Tatum
BI vs Brown
Dlo vs Rozier
Ball vs Smart

Choose the blue pill, a real is better than theoretical and Foston has failed so far with numerous attempts. If they don’t make it this year they likely reset.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: