Welcome Spencer Dinwiddie … He’s Coming Home
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject:

Wow I didn't realize he was 6-5. I'm not sure how I feel about it. He's insurance in case Gabe remains out and/or DLO flames out again in the playoffs. He adds another dimension to our offense and is a potential 6th man microwave scorer. OTOH, his skillsets are largely redundant so it feels like it could be Andre Drummond all over again. We needed perimeter defense so Vando's return remains vital and we still lack big bodies down low. I don't know if Morris/Lopez is the answer.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

Need perimeter defense then mentioned Morris and RoLo?

Welcome Spencer!!!
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:
Understand this is who ya'll are getting when he's in the proper role

And here was his Game 7 vs the Suns

When does Spencer not do well? When he's the Number 1 option and has to take a ton of difficult shots he forces up.

When does Spencer do well? As a 4th option, or coming off the bench as a 6th man where he's set up for easy buckets and opportunities and gets into a rhythm.

Spencer as 6th man on the Lakers should be a perfect fit for him, and the easy shots he'll get courtesy of the many players that can pass on the team.

Great pickup for absolutely no assets.

I see the footage..but you know what im about to say right? He needs the ball in his hand..because well he a actual PG. ...Soooo our we going to allow him to be a PG or is it going to be some dumb LA KANG offense..ie bring the ball up and put it in LBJ hand and stand in the corner? I dont think he a catch and shoot PG.

He played with Luka and Brunson
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject:

I wonder if the plan is to start him with Russell and move Austin to the bench where he thrives

I love Austin Reeves, but I’m tired of watching him get hunted on defense
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Wow I didn't realize he was 6-5. I'm not sure how I feel about it. He's insurance in case Gabe remains out and/or DLO flames out again in the playoffs. He adds another dimension to our offense and is a potential 6th man microwave scorer. OTOH, his skillsets are largely redundant so it feels like it could be Andre Drummond all over again. We needed perimeter defense so Vando's return remains vital and we still lack big bodies down low. I don't know if Morris/Lopez is the answer.

We only had one roster spot so I think this is all we’re bringing in
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
I wonder if the plan is to start him with Russell and move Austin to the bench where he thrives

I love Austin Reeves, but I’m tired of watching him get hunted on defense

I don't care about whether Reaves starts or not, but it's important he plays a lot of minutes with LeBron.

Our net ratings with DLo Austin Rui/Vando LeBron AD are super positive. Situationally Austin can be a problem, but overall he's a positive. He's not a backup point guard though, that much we learned this year.

My guess is Dinwiddie is a Russell replacement. Start of the second quarter it'll be him, Austin, and LeBron.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject:

Re: Dinwiddie being a Russell replacement

Since the Clips game DLO has played:
27 (Hawks game where he was bad)
27 (Knicks game where he was bad)
0 (injury)

Even when he's a flamethrower, I still don't like DLO playing that heavy of a load
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Excited to have him here. I have thought all season, since Gabe hasn't been available for basically the whole year, that we needed a competent backup PG to help carry the load and keep us organized.

Dinwiddie could potentially be that guy, and I'm excited to see him coming off the bench here.

It is also nice that he is a hometown guy coming home. We don't get to see that too often but when we do it is extra special.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Re: Dinwiddie being a Russell replacement

Since the Clips game DLO has played:
27 (Hawks game where he was bad)
27 (Knicks game where he was bad)
0 (injury)

Even when he's a flamethrower, I still don't like DLO playing that heavy of a load

Dinwiddie allows all the other ball handlers DLO/Reaves/LeBron to get some time to not have to play 37-40 minutes a game.

That was happening because one of DLO/Reaves/LeBron HAD to be on the court at all times as we had no backup PG. Now we do.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Don't care about his shooting since we don't need more offense. Having a guy that could shut down or slow down guys like Murray, Fox and Booker would be so much more beneficial and would greatly increase our chances of winning against these teams.
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
He’s better than Max Christie but it also says the Lakers have most likely given up on him

I don’t see that at all. Lately Christie has been playing real quality minutes and finishing 4th quarters.

Dinwiddie is a good player who basically was dropped on the Lakers lap. Can’t pass on that. It’s up to Ham to balance the minutes.

If they believed in Christie they’d want him to get the minutes, not bring in a guy like this

Gabe isn’t coming back.
Injuries have hobbled the team all year.
Dinwiddie is cheap insurance.
Like him to get more of Prince’s minutes, to be honest.

I think Dinwiddie is redundant to Russell. He’s an inefficient scorer who isn’t very good on defense. I’d say he’s DLo-lite. Someone to play if DLo is missing a game.
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
He’s better than Max Christie but it also says the Lakers have most likely given up on him

WTF ... how in the world do you make this conclusion

Because if they trusted Christie on a team that needs perimeter defense, they wouldn’t bring in a veteran off the scrap heap to play in front of him. Especially since it’s already his 2nd year. This is the time to either show out or move on.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

Because if they trusted Christie on a team that needs perimeter defense, they wouldn’t bring in a veteran off the scrap heap to play in front of him. Especially since it’s already his 2nd year. This is the time to either show out or move on.

Everyone views players in different ways, but Christie plays like a guy who would get better and better with more playing time and his numbers speak to that...Max is a better defender than Reeves/Dlo/Dinwiddie and it's not even close.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

I don’t see that at all. Lately Christie has been playing real quality minutes and finishing 4th quarters.

Dinwiddie is a good player who basically was dropped on the Lakers lap. Can’t pass on that. It’s up to Ham to balance the minutes.

If they believed in Christie they’d want him to get the minutes, not bring in a guy like this

Gabe isn’t coming back.
Injuries have hobbled the team all year.
Dinwiddie is cheap insurance.
Like him to get more of Prince’s minutes, to be honest.

I think Dinwiddie is redundant to Russell. He’s an inefficient scorer who isn’t very good on defense. I’d say he’s DLo-lite. Someone to play if DLo is missing a game.

They need someone that can run the offense or at least handle the ball when they sit guys like DLo/Lebron. It has happened too often this season where we go to the bench and struggle to get good shots which leads to good shots for the opposition. Or worse yet, turning the ball over.

Basketball is synergistic so bad offense often leads to bad defense, and vice versa. Dinwiddie can at least competently run an offense at the point guard position as shown through his multiple starts throughout his career.

I don't look at him as a replacement for Max as much as a replacement for Mays. Max is more of a backup to whomever is our POA defender. But who knows what our team looks like when everyone is healthy or how Ham is going to use guys that are healthy now.
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

When does Spencer not do well? .

He’s been in the league 10 years
He’s had like 3 good seasons out of those 10:

He shoots in his career 41/33/80. That’s very mediocre for a big guard. And not much defense to speak of.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dinwisp01.html

Some Laker fans always get excited about guys like Reddish, Wood, Bamba who bounce around the league for a reason. And now Dinwiddie. There’s a reason these guys are cheap. Nobody covering the Lakers is thinning out missing piece is a guy that can volume score off the bench, but no d. That’s Reaves
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers Just Pulled off a ROBBERY by Signing Spencer Dinwiddie! | The Lakers Depth is INSANE!

Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
MJST wrote:

When does Spencer not do well? .

He’s been in the league 10 years
He’s had like 3 good seasons out of those 10:

He shoots in his career 41/33/80. That’s very mediocre for a big guard. And not much defense to speak of.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dinwisp01.html

Some Laker fans always get excited about guys like Reddish, Wood, Bamba who bounce around the league for a reason. And now Dinwiddie. There’s a reason these guys are cheap. Nobody covering the Lakers is thinning out missing piece is a guy that can volume score off the bench, but no d. That’s Reaves

You’re right…but…Vincent is out for who knows how long, Cam is out, MaxC is out, Vando is out. Skylar looked ok but Dinwiddie is a decent replacement for what is missing with injuries for cheap. Without injuries I would have preferred a bruiser back up C, even would have spent for backcourt defense. As is tho with things as they are, it’s a good backup plan plus he looks to be an upgrade over Reaves at back up PG allowing HIM (AR) to cook at SG.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:

You’re wrong. Period
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
New story: Spencer Dinwiddie is expected to sign with the Lakers on Sunday, practice on Monday and be in uniform for their game Tuesday against Detroit, giving a lift while LAL is still dealing with injuries to several key contributors

lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:

didn't ya say he's gonna be out of the league in a couple years if he doesn't improve his shooting? lol
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I can’t believe we got Dinwiddie for nothing. Same level of player as DLO. #3 option on the Mavericks team that took out the 64-18 Suns two seasons ago.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Dinwiddie thrives as both a 6th man and an off-ball threat when other players are drawing the attention of the defense, and then when he gets going he can catch fire.

That's precisely the role he'd have here if he's played off the bench as the 6th man and gets occasional minutes with the starters when he comes in for one of them. It's why he was able to thrive in Dallas as well as in Brooklyn where he was top 6th man of the year candidate, and Kobe's personal choice for Sixth man as he told Dinwiddie this. Which is why Spencer breaks down talking about it.

People always love talking about "Well he'll play better cause he's a Laker/he's coming home/he knows the legacy." That's all we heard when it came to Westbrook wasn't it?

But Dinwiddie actually has that mentality towards the Lakers. It wasn't just him growing up in California. He has a love in his heart for the Lakers, AND for Kobe. He's also friends with DLO who was a former teammate of his. He'll be put in the role of 6th man(hopefully!) and be given plenty of off ball opportunities and can thrive in those situations.

He'll also help prevent our other ball handlers from having to play high 30s minutes. Which they've had to due to the injury to Gabe.

As said Dinwiddie thrives when surrounded by other offensive options that allows him to attack from the reeds. We've got DLO, Reaves, LeBron and AD for all of that. So he'll get plenty of opportunities and easy shots, which he's shown very capable of knocking down.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Dinwiddie thrives as both a 6th man and an off-ball threat when other players are drawing the attention of the defense, and then when he gets going he can catch fire.

That's precisely the role he'd have here if he's played off the bench as the 6th man and gets occasional minutes with the starters when he comes in for one of them. It's why he was able to thrive in Dallas as well as in Brooklyn where he was top 6th man of the year candidate, and Kobe's personal choice for Sixth man as he told Dinwiddie this. Which is why Spencer breaks down talking about it.

People always love talking about "Well he'll play better cause he's a Laker/he's coming home/he knows the legacy." That's all we heard when it came to Westbrook wasn't it?

But Dinwiddie actually has that mentality towards the Lakers. It wasn't just him growing up in California. He has a love in his heart for the Lakers, AND for Kobe. He's also friends with DLO who was a former teammate of his. He'll be put in the role of 6th man(hopefully!) and be given plenty of off ball opportunities and can thrive in those situations.

He'll also help prevent our other ball handlers from having to play high 30s minutes. Which they've had to due to the injury to Gabe.

As said Dinwiddie thrives when surrounded by other offensive options that allows him to attack from the reeds. We've got DLO, Reaves, LeBron and AD for all of that. So he'll get plenty of opportunities and easy shots, which he's shown very capable of knocking down.

Please frame this post for all the clueless naysayers that aren’t happy with the acquisition. Thank you.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
How is his defense?

He's capable when motivated
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
How is his defense?

He's capable when motivated

This Year … He’s a +2.8 at the sg spot which is better than Reaves, Cam, and Max. He’s a -1.3 at PG which is worse than Dlo but also better than AR and Prince at the spot. He’s at a lower usage rate in Brooklyn than he was in Dallas with Brunson and Luka this year so he’s not going to trip if he doesn’t have the ball. He can fit the team.

The year Dallas made the wcf … he was a +4.8 at sg (played 72% his time) and +3.1 at sf (played 27% his time) … he worked for Brunson and Luka because he’s physical and long. Them days AR gets picked on without going back, he won’t be picked on. So he can always take the more physical guy for AR or Dlo. People ask why he shot better in Dallas, well he played the least amount of time at pg in Dallas

Not saying bench AR or Dlo. Just saying let him play with them when one sits. And for a 2-3 min stretch of the fourth go with 3 guards and let him play with both while resting LeBron around a tv timeout so he has fresh legs in the fourth over him playing the whole quarter like Darvin does. You can also then use Prince as a 3/4 off the bench.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: