Welcome Spencer Dinwiddie … He’s Coming Home
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
TMG wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I wonder if the plan is to start him with Russell and move Austin to the bench where he thrives

I love Austin Reeves, but I’m tired of watching him get hunted on defense

So bench the much much better player for the lesser player.

lol.

Wouldn't put it past ham to do something that stupid. Start some dude we dont need who's never practiced with the team. Should go over well not to mention the blatant disrespect towards Reaves lol.

You’re not benching him you’re moving him to the second rotation, where he actually plays better it’s not like you’re taking Austin Reeves and putting them on the end of the bench lol

That would be a typical dumb Ham move.

I’m a big Austin Reaves fan but if you don’t see that he’s being hunted on defense this year I suggest another pair of glasses
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
TMG wrote:
governator wrote:
TMG wrote:
unnecessary signing. Should have gone for Biyombo instead. Dimwiddie has been garbage this season. And in general isn't all that good.

Besides we got Gabe Vincent what'll happen with the rotations when he's back?

Because a healthy Gabe is much better than Spencer. Especially on defense.

And if don’t have healthy Gabe?

Still dont need Dimwiddie. Biyombo would have been much better. We need bigs much more than a guard.

A month ago I would’ve agreed with you. The fact is Jackson Hayes has found his game.

JAXSON with his energy and awkwardness has been looking more and more like Javale McGee of late.

I kinda of like him getting 10-15 minutes a game.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
TMG wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I wonder if the plan is to start him with Russell and move Austin to the bench where he thrives

lol.

Wouldn't put it past ham to do something that stupid. Start some dude we dont need who's never practiced with the team. Should go over well not to mention the blatant disrespect towards Reaves lol.

You’re not benching him you’re moving him to the second rotation, where he actually plays better it’s not like you’re taking Austin Reeves and putting them on the end of the bench lol

I’m a big Austin Reaves fan but if you don’t see that he’s being hunted on defense this year I suggest another pair of glasses

Reaves was getting hunted on defense last season...and the season before that. That hasn't changed. The only difference is that he didn't see a lot of floor time in his first season. And, in his second season, he was clearly better at moving his feet, being disruptive with his hands, with judicious defensive reads in passing lanes. He wasn't some lockdown defender, by any stretch. But, he wasn't a liability, either.

I don't believe Reaves has regressed as a defender, because his defensive style never relied on athleticism. It was mostly reliant on IQ, and using his average athleticism to the utmost. Imo, the problem is that his legs/athleticism have taken a hit, with him not taking the offseason to rest/recuperate. And, when a player that doesn't have a step to lose, loses said step... This is the result.

Of course, this is all just postulation on my part. We won't have a clear answer until next season. By next season, if his defense doesn't get back to 2022-23 form, at least, then throw everything I just said in the trash bin, lol.

Last edited by sonic the laker on Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
I like it

Same here. Solid vet PG
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
TMG wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

lol.

Reaves was getting hunted on defense last season...and the season before that. That hasn't changed. The only difference is that he didn't see a lot of floor time in his first season. And, in his second season, he was clearly better at moving his feet, being disruptive his hands, while judicious defensive reads on passing lanes. He wasn't some lockdown defender, by any stretch. But, he wasn't a liability, either.

I don't believe Reaves has regressed as a defender, because his defensive style never relied on athleticism. It was mostly reliant on IQ, and using his average athleticism to the utmost. Imo, the problem is that his legs/athleticism have taken a hit, with him not taking the offseason to rest/recuperate. And, when a player that doesn't have a step to lose, loses said step... This is the result.

Of course, this is all just postulation on my part. We won't have a clear answer until next season. By next season, if his defense doesn't get back to 2022-23 form, at least, then throw everything I just said in the trash bin, lol.

I'd say teams/players are making a concentrated effort to attack him this season. He was voted most overrated in a player's poll? I think it might be at least somewhat personal. If that continues, I can't see his defense improving because guys are really going at him.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
TMG wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

lol.

Reaves was getting hunted on defense last season...and the season before that. That hasn't changed. The only difference is that he didn't see a lot of floor time in his first season. And, in his second season, he was clearly better at moving his feet, being disruptive his hands, while judicious defensive reads on passing lanes. He wasn't some lockdown defender, by any stretch. But, he wasn't a liability, either.

I'd say teams/players are making a concentrated effort to attack him this season. He was voted most overrated in a player's poll? I think it might be at least somewhat personal. If that continues, I can't see his defense improving because guys are really going at him.

It’s personal in the blunt sense like they said on Gilbert Arenas show “ain’t no American born white boy go guard me or bust my ass” and that’s what it’s come down too, everyone attacks him. Players called him overrated. KD called him out by name in the preseason as a weak link. Rashad Mccants said he ain’t no got damn max player. Stephen Jackson said he’s not a big 3 component and so on. He got overhyped and it wasn’t based off skill, play, or an extended period of greatness. It was partially because he was a Laker and partially because he was an American born white guy playing well off Bron in a league where no American white guys have been stars in seemingly forever. His coverage rubbed a lot of people wrong as did the inclusion of being on team USA after barely being a starter
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
manlisten wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
TMG wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

lol.

It’s personal in the blunt sense like they said on Gilbert Arenas show “ain’t no American born white boy go guard me or bust my ass” and that’s what it’s come down too, everyone attacks him. Players called him overrated. KD called him out by name in the preseason as a weak link. Rashad Mccants said he ain’t no got damn max player. Stephen Jackson said he’s not a big 3 component and so on. He got overhyped and it wasn’t based off skill, play, or an extended period of greatness. It was partially because he was a Laker and partially because he was an American born white guy playing well off Bron in a league where no American white guys have been stars in seemingly forever. His coverage rubbed a lot of people wrong as did the inclusion of being on team USA after barely being a starter

I think part of it is the calls he used to get. He did his share of foul baiting but he mostly got a soft whistle. He'd drive to the the basket, get minimal contact and get rewarded with free throws. He wouldn't even really sell the contact, he'd just get a favorable call from officials. It seems like players took offense to that and now he's paying for it.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
manlisten wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
TMG wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

lol.

I think part of it is the calls he used to get. He did his share of foul baiting but he mostly got a soft whistle. He'd drive to the the basket, get minimal contact and get rewarded with free throws. He wouldn't even really sell the contact, he'd just get a favorable call from officials. It seems like players took offense to that and now he's paying for it.

He was getting calls like Harden and it was glaring too when Bron and AD weren’t even getting them on the same team last year. So yeah he’s got issues with the league as a whole
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
manlisten wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
TMG wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

lol.

Wait, hold up. I know this is a Dinwiddie, thread, so I apologize for the Reaves highjacking. But...whoever said all that ish is full of it.

Throughout Reaves ascension as a player, it's always been in context to him being an undrafted player. Also, I don't remember hearing ONE media pundit ever saying that htey saw superstardom potential in Reaves. At best, I heard POSSIBLE all-star adjacent player, as a ceiling. Most had him pegged as a high quality role player...which is what he is, atm.

As far as his FIBA selection is concerned, it had nothing to do with any stars getting snubbed. It had everything to do with star players not giving a crap about FIBA. So, the only players left to choose from were the younger up-and-coming star players (like Anthony Edwards), and high quality role players (like Reaves).

And, if it's "American born white guys" that are getting the hate, where's that same hate for Tyler Herro? Duncan Robinson? Alex Caruso? Gordon Hayward? Kevin Love? Where's the same energy?

People can feel how they want to feel about Reaves...or any other player for that matter. But, to imply that Reaves is not deserving of the notice he's received, in relation to his on court production, is absolutely fallacious.

*end rant*
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject:

another player who cant shoot. great..
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:

There is wrong in giving the best player on the FA market a chance to see what he has, yes his shooting this year stinks because his arrival helps shore up some of the depth at the guard position without Gabe and a unproven player in Mays
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:50 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:

makes me wonder how he was a good shooter when he was with Mavs? 2 seasons with MAVS, he shot around 38% with 6 3pt attempts per game.

Maybe because he is a spot up shooter with Mavs rather than a pg. Coz the ball is always on Luka hands?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: