The win vs. the Celtics is evidence the Lakers have an attitude problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: The win vs. the Celtics is evidence the Lakers have an attitude problem

slavavov wrote:
While I'm happy about the short-handed Lakers beating the Celtics, it's also maddening at the same time.

We've now beaten the Celtics, Pacers, Pelicans, Cavs, Mavs, Thunder (twice) and Clippers (twice). Even when we've lost to teams like that, we've usually competed hard and lost by single digits.

But we've also come out totally lackadaisical against so many seemingly inferior teams, almost as if the team thought all it had to do to win was to show up.

To me, this says that, while the Lakers have some roster deficiencies, their roster isn't why their record is so mediocre. It's their attitude.

.500 teams usually don't lose so often against bad teams and get blown out while playing well and beating good teams more than a few times.

You have basically laid out every teams pattern that is a 500 team. There are very few inferior teams.
Blazers
GSW
SAS
Hornets

Who else?
Celtics beat us, we beat them.
Pelicans the same
Mavs the Same
Clippers
etc.

We are exactly where we should be record wise. I am stoked for the guys who actually had enough pride to play and lay it out there and win but trying to convince yourself that with a simple attitude adjustment we would be greatly improved is nuts.

We are hitting that point in the season where teams start to wind down for the All star break. Happens every year. Hopefully we can take advantage.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject:

If we play Vando more than Prince, Austin plays as aggressively as Russell has been playing (aka playoff AR), Christie instead of Reddish, and have a viable backup bruiser big over Wood this season we're out of the play-in.

That's to say nothing of the rest of Ham's coaching performance or us getting nothing out of our MLE player yet.

Making sensible, default decisions alone is all it takes.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
If we play Vando more than Prince, Austin plays as aggressively as Russell has been playing (aka playoff AR), Christie instead of Reddish, and have a viable backup bruiser big over Wood this season we're out of the play-in.

That's to say nothing of the rest of Ham's coaching performance or us getting nothing out of our MLE player yet.

I like it, I like Cam too tho
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
levon wrote:

I like Cam in spots but he's not our long-term piece and Christie's ceiling is higher.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
governator wrote:
levon wrote:

I like Cam in spots but he's not our long-term piece and Christie's ceiling is higher.

We should try to keep/develop Cam, Max for sure
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject:

Teams sometimes get hot and win a game that they probably shouldn’t win. The Shaq and Kobe teams would sometimes run up against that and lose games they shouldn’t. That is why they play an 82-game season and long playoff series, typically the better team wins. But if you are saying that the worst 3point shooting team hitting 53% in a game implies that they have bad attitudes when they don’t hit 53%, then I disagree.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The win vs. the Celtics is evidence the Lakers have an attitude problem

Halflife wrote:
slavavov wrote:
While I'm happy about the short-handed Lakers beating the Celtics, it's also maddening at the same time.

We've now beaten the Celtics, Pacers, Pelicans, Cavs, Mavs, Thunder (twice) and Clippers (twice). Even when we've lost to teams like that, we've usually competed hard and lost by single digits.

But we've also come out totally lackadaisical against so many seemingly inferior teams, almost as if the team thought all it had to do to win was to show up.

To me, this says that, while the Lakers have some roster deficiencies, their roster isn't why their record is so mediocre. It's their attitude.

.500 teams usually don't lose so often against bad teams and get blown out while playing well and beating good teams more than a few times.

You have basically laid out every teams pattern that is a 500 team. There are very few inferior teams.
Blazers
GSW
SAS
Hornets

Who else?
Pelicans the same
Mavs the Same
Clippers
etc.

We are exactly where we should be record wise. I am stoked for the guys who actually had enough pride to play and lay it out there and win but trying to convince yourself that with a simple attitude adjustment we would be greatly improved is nuts.

We are hitting that point in the season where teams start to wind down for the All star break. Happens every year. Hopefully we can take advantage.

Other inferior teams we lost to: Rockets (twice in blowout fashion), Grizzlies (also in blowout fashion), Hawks (also in blowout fashion), Bulls (also in blowout fashion, Nets (also in blowout fashion).

When you're a .500 team, that's not supposed to happen, at least not as often as it has happened to us.

venturalakersfan wrote:
Teams sometimes get hot and win a game that they probably shouldn’t win. The Shaq and Kobe teams would sometimes run up against that and lose games they shouldn’t. That is why they play an 82-game season and long playoff series, typically the better team wins. But if you are saying that the worst 3point shooting team hitting 53% in a game implies that they have bad attitudes when they don’t hit 53%, then I disagree.

I'm not really talking about 3-point shooting. I'm talking about overall energy, intensity, urgency and aggression, which shows up more defensively and on the boards than in terms of your outside shooting.

And yes, the Shaq and Kobe teams sometimes lost regular season games to bad teams. But that was because those teams also had an attitude problem. They (other than Kobe) didn't care about the regular season after winning their first ring, and they thought it didn't matter what playoff seed they got as long as they got to the playoffs in one piece.

I hate that attitude. It's not a winning attitude.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:55 pm    Post subject:

We can beat anyone. We can lose to anyone.

Unfortunately we have a coach that can’t learn or motivate.

Players only seem to care when there is something to play for.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The win vs. the Celtics is evidence the Lakers have an attitude problem

slavavov wrote:
Halflife wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Blazers
GSW
SAS
Hornets

Who else?
Pelicans the same
Mavs the Same
Clippers
etc.

Other inferior teams we lost to: Rockets (twice in blowout fashion), Grizzlies (also in blowout fashion), Hawks (also in blowout fashion), Bulls (also in blowout fashion, Nets (also in blowout fashion).

When you're a .500 team, that's not supposed to happen, at least not as often as it has happened to us.

venturalakersfan wrote:

I'm not really talking about 3-point shooting. I'm talking about overall energy, intensity, urgency and aggression, which shows up more defensively and on the boards than in terms of your outside shooting.

And yes, the Shaq and Kobe teams sometimes lost regular season games to bad teams. But that was because those teams also had an attitude problem. They (other than Kobe) didn't care about the regular season after winning their first ring, and they thought it didn't matter what playoff seed they got as long as they got to the playoffs in one piece.

I hate that attitude. It's not a winning attitude.

It has been evident on the boards for sure.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject:

This is what the OP was referring too..
The Lakers had back to back wins on the road against 2 elite teams, the 1st/3rd best records in the East, Celtics and Knicks..

I remember similarly they beat the Thunder and Mavericks back to back than lost 2 in a row to subpar teams.

With the Hornets coming up, lets hope they don't revert back.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject:

They're Heat West with better superstars and worse coaching.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject:

No sense of urgency with this team.

They are the #10 seed in the West. They act like they are the #1 seed.

Seeding
  1. Oklahoma City 43-19
  2. Minnesota 43-19
  3. Denver 42-20
  4. Los Angeles 40-21
  5. New Orleans 37-25
  6. Phoenix 36-26

7. Sacramento 35-26
  8. Dallas 34-28
  9. Golden State 33-28
  10. Los Angeles 34-30 << We are here >>

11. Utah 28-35
  12. Houston 27-35

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/standings/24/1
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
No sense of urgency with this team.

They are the #10 seed in the West. They act like they are the #1 seed.

Seeding
  1. Oklahoma City 43-19
  2. Minnesota 43-19
  3. Denver 42-20
  4. Los Angeles 40-21
  5. New Orleans 37-25
  6. Phoenix 36-26

7. Sacramento 35-26
  8. Dallas 34-28
  9. Golden State 33-28
  10. Los Angeles 34-30 << We are here >>

11. Utah 28-35
  12. Houston 27-35

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/standings/24/1

Time to focus to be healthy for the play in, stop chasing seeding, we’re not catching nobody
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject:

Those same Celtics lost to Cavs and needed a lot of work to beat Washington. What you see a lot of in today's NBA with the 3 point shooting and inconsistent defense, teams go off on you. We had a game where we were able to do that without our stars. Boston had a let down. We played great. 1 game. Just like that, we have some games where we're off and a team has a great night.

What I see consistently though is a team that has a lot of talent, the coaching has been very below par, but at the same time a lot of the other team's in the West are also good. We're a good team, but not a great team. We have a few consistent holes that show up. Even with a better coach, more urgency, I see us in that 5-6 range in the West.

1) Lebron doesn't bring his MVP level motor enough (not that we should expect him to, but the team does run on him pushing the gas, he's more an all-star than a MVP at this stage).

2) AD is more of a DPOTY value than an offensive juggernaut like Jokic. So Lebron's all-star (not MVP Luka/Jokic) level play hurts us a lot at times. Because AD doesn't carry the impact the offense the way Lebron can. Or the way a Jokic/Luka would.

3) Because of #1 and #2, we are neither dominant on offense or defense. When we won a title, or that second year where in the title picture, we had a dominant defense. This is a few things

- Our role guys + Lebron sometimes playing like a MVP don't make us exceptional on offense.
- Our role guys don't make us exceptinal on defense depsite AD's DPOTY talent/ability. Too many guys who play quality roles on offense but are holes defensively.

What we need to do this summer if we continue to invest in AD/Bron.

Bring in a defensive guard that can move DLO/Austin to the bench. Our bench improves and so does our support around AD.

Hire a better head coach who will actually make defensive schemes that make sense and use the players properly with some consistency.

Should strongly consider moving AD to the starting 4, for a starting stretch 5. Even if this means Lebron plays out of his best natural spot, if we have the defensive ace in the backcourt, it can work. Closilng lineups, AD's usually at the 5.

Basically what I'm asking for is someone like KCP, and someone like Myles Turner. And a good head coach. Those are the sort of things missing on this team, IMO. It's certainly a shame we're looking like we're going to end up having the most healthy, best level season from AD/Lebron since 2019-20 and end up being in that play in stage. That's really unacceptable. 2 all-stars, a big payroll with a team full of well paid role players and you end up being there? GM and coach made boo boos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:12 am    Post subject:

But likely what we'll see is us go all in on trading for a 3rd star. Someone they can pair with AD, post-Lebron.

It really makes sense and fits the Jeanie/Rob model. No re-building. Go for the longterm stay competitive approach ignoring draft and free agency process. The standard is not the same, you know. It's not like title or bust. Making the play ins, and playoffs, it's enough. You're competitive and you still look way better than what Jimmy had the team looking like (Not my opinion, the argument the family would make among themselves).

Knowing that we're not trading AD (always my first option) or Lebron, I much rather change coaches, make a few changes to the rotation and run it back one last year with AD starting at the 4, better roster balance on defense and a better coach, than giving up 3 draft picks and Rui/Austin/more pieces for a "star" guard. I know it's a guard's league right now, but I rather wait for the Lebron era to be over so that that guard we would trade for would have the full freedom to run the offense and own the team's offense (never happening with Lebron).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
I’m convinced the attitude problem starts with LBJ.

LG always keeps it real. Reddit would ban you for saying this. ESPN would get you fired.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: