Turns out Pelinka's offseason was a bust (so far)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Turns out Pelinka's offseason was a bust (so far)

Bad Moves:
-Resigned Dlo (despite the good start, he looks like trash now)
-Signed Gabe to the full MLE (lol)
-Failed to pick up Beasley (whoops)
-Failed to resign Walker (whoops)
-Drafted JHS (garbage)
-Extended Vando (no offense but he looks like trash, still injured though I guess)

Neutral Moves:
-Picked up Reddish, Hayes and Wood on vet mins (not the worst pickups but yeah they look like they are one foot out of the league)
-Resigned Rui (overpaid)
-Resigned AR (meh, he's still super cheap but his defense has fallen off a cliff)

Good Moves:
-signed Prince to the BAE
-didn't pick up Bamba
-extended AD

that's a pretty damn bad 1/3 of the season.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Everyone gave no credence to the guys they lost. And fans were high off a flukey playoff run with favorable opponents. They just paid money to bring some of same guys back. Replacements have been hurt or JAGs. Coaching sucks. Team isn’t going anywhere.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka’s move was fine…

But coaching is killing this team. No excuse for Ham not to go back to the line-ups that got him to WCF when everyone was healthy. Now look like they losing some key guys again. Probably lost 3-5 close games because of stupid line-up experiment rotations and looking like a deer staring at a headlight out there on certain game situations. His inconsistency also on giving guys minutes reason some of this guys are up and down.

Then players like DLO, at some night Reaves/Rui/Vando not living up to last year play but that might be more due to whats going on with Ham above.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Pelinka’s move was fine…

But coaching is killing this team. No excuse for Ham not to go back to the line-ups that got him to WCF when everyone was healthy. Now look like they losing some key guys again. Probably lost 3-5 close games because of stupid line-up experiment rotations and looking like a deer staring at a headlight out there on certain game situations. His inconsistency also on giving guys minutes reason some of this guys are up and down.

Then players like DLO, at some night Reaves/Rui/Vando not living up to last year play but that might be more due to whats going on with Ham above.

i'd sure rather have had walker, beasley and dennis over reddish, max and gabe.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Pelinka’s move was fine…

i'd sure rather have had walker, beasley and dennis over reddish, max and gabe.

I wanted Dennis back for sure but people were torn on Walker here and everyone thought we can upgrade there. Same goes for Beasley but people were mostly done with him because he could not shoot here and was unplayable in the playoffs.

Like I said no excuse for Ham not to go back to the DLO/Reaves/Vando/Lebron/AD line up. I would prefer to know if that line-up no longer works rather than sitting here and wonder why Ham has not used it again this season.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject:

I’m more pissed off that we let Beasley walk.. FWIW Vasashi has said in more then multiple posts how Beasley would have been such a nice asset for this team and Pelinka, he’s helping Milwaukee this year in a big way, it’s just bad asset management by Pelinka and the Organization
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Same situation with Randle when he was a RFA we didn’t try getting anything out of it and just let him walk for nothing
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka's moves were fine, precisely what the team needed.

Darvin Ham made the decision to go "Hey you know everything we were working on last season that worked and we could build upon? Let's not do that and pretend we're starting fresh and I have no clue what works and doesn't."

That's on the coach.

If you got a starting center that can average 17-20 a game coming off the bench and the best plays you can draw up for him are nothing that maximizes what he can do and he averages 3 PPG under your watch... the problem is the coach.

Willing to bet if Ham was fired, and a Coach came in, realized we have Christian Wood coming off the bench, would actually start running plays for him and suddenly people would be wondering "Well where was this!?!?!" Held back by an idiotic coach that has no clue the weapons the team has, nor how to maximize them. The kind that gets in the way the moment he sees consistency and a team that's figured it out and is in a rush to disband it the moment he sees it falter slightly.. but will stick with HIS own ideas far past failure.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I’m more pissed off that we let Beasley walk.. FWIW Vasashi has said in more then multiple posts how Beasley would have been such a nice asset for this team and Pelinka, he’s helping Milwaukee this year in a big way, it’s just bad asset management by Pelinka and the Organization

The coach we got dont know how to play some of these guys.

Bease had plenty of time but it means nothing once again if the coach cant put you in a good setup..something or plays that was bease bread and butter.before people seay someting crazy..the Bucks fond it how come we coudlnt?

Thomas Bryant..played good..what Ham does ...Tell him he needs to go back to the bench instead of playing alongside of AD..smh. just stupidity..

Over the summer we didnt resign Bam but also didnt give him a offer. We also passed on every BIG there was for CWood who wasnt a true center and now the coach dont even play him..smh.

We let DS go for what? How would a healthy Gabe even be a upgrade..Shro defense was better and Shro could drive to the basket and hit a three every now on then..if you going to l4et DS go..you should have picked up a Cp3 a traditional PG that can get AD the ball or a 3 and D PG like Javon Carter..but nope we got someone who somewhat mirrors exactley was Shro does but seems like a downgrade even when healthy.

WE just didnt get the two biggest things we needed this season..well three..We need a TRUE CENTER and a either keeping Shro or getting a 3D PG....and the thrid? WHY GETTING SOMEONE WHO KNOWS X's and O's as a Assistant.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Bease had plenty of time but it means nothing once again if the coach cant put you in a good setup..something or plays that was bease bread and butter.before people seay someting crazy..the Bucks fond it how come we coudlnt?

Thomas Bryant..played good..what Ham does ...Tell him he needs to go back to the bench instead of playing alongside of AD..smh. just stupidity..

Over the summer we didnt resign Bam but also didnt give him a offer. We also passed on every BIG there was for CWood who wasnt a true center and now the coach dont even play him..smh.

We let DS go for what? How would a healthy Gabe even be a upgrade..Shro defense was better and Shro could drive to the basket and hit a three every now on then..if you going to l4et DS go..you should have picked up a Cp3 a traditional PG that can get AD the ball or a 3 and D PG like Javon Carter..but nope we got someone who somewhat mirrors exactley was Shro does but seems like a downgrade even when healthy.

WE just didnt get the two biggest things we needed this season..well three..We need a TRUE CENTER and an either keeping Shro or getting a 3D PG....and the thrid? WHY GETTING SOMEONE WHO KNOWS X's and O's as a Assistant.

I feel you dude, Ham should be on a short leash as HC of the Lakers, the Lakers can pay extra to get someone good if they fire him now and bring in someone who can get the best out of players instead of switching everything up and players not playing in defined roles

Bamba would have been a better option then Hayes and Wood

The reality is this Organization is living off the WCF run last year and there gonna let Ham run this team to the ground
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Turns out Pelinka's offseason was a bust (so far)

nomoreshaq wrote:
Bad Moves:
-Resigned Dlo (despite the good start, he looks like trash now)
-Signed Gabe to the full MLE (lol)
-Failed to pick up Beasley (whoops)
-Failed to resign Walker (whoops)
-Drafted JHS (garbage)
-Extended Vando (no offense but he looks like trash, still injured though I guess)

Neutral Moves:
-Picked up Reddish, Hayes and Wood on vet mins (not the worst pickups but yeah they look like they are one foot out of the league)
-Resigned Rui (overpaid)
-Resigned AR (meh, he's still super cheap but his defense has fallen off a cliff)

Good Moves:
-signed Prince to the BAE
-didn't pick up Bamba
-extended AD

that's a pretty damn bad 1/3 of the season.

I think resigning DLO for the amount we gave him was fine.

AR was a good resigning.

Walker and Beasley are playing well, but I don't know that either would have returned here for the minimum, so I can't comment on that one.

Rui was a good resigning, but an overpay.

Vando was an overpay.

I understand them not picking up Bamba for $10 million; doubt he would have resigned here for the minimum.

Gabe I never like as a signing.

Too early to judge JHS.

Prince signing was good.

AD -- we'll see how that big contract looks overtime.

I thought it was an OK offseason but not a great offseason,
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

WE just didnt get the two biggest things we needed this season..well three..We need a TRUE CENTER and an either keeping Shro or getting a 3D PG....and the thrid? WHY GETTING SOMEONE WHO KNOWS X's and O's as a Assistant.

I feel you dude, Ham should be on a short leash as HC of the Lakers, the Lakers can pay extra to get someone good if they fire him now and bring in someone who can get the best out of players instead of switching everything up and players not playing in defined roles

The reality is this Organization is living off the WCF run last year and there gonna still let Ham run this team to the ground

Have you watched Mo Bamba play this year??? Like actually watched. Or are you just putting his name out there.

Here's the actual truth. If Christian Wood was in Philly right now backing up Embiid. And Bamba was here backing up Davis. YOU would be lamenting that we didn't sign Wood and brought back Bamba. Why? Because Wood would be being maximized by the coach on the 76ers and Bamba would be wasted by Ham.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

That was a tough situation.

He didn't play well for us, and I am not surprised we didn't exercise his big option. I have no idea what he would have cost to resign.

If I were him, I sure wouldn't have returned to the Lakers for the minimum.

I am not going to second guess the decision just because Beasley is having an amazingly uncharacteristically good season for the Bucks.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The reality is this Organization is living off the WCF run last year and there gonna still let Ham run this team to the ground

Have you watched Mo Bamba play this year??? Like actually watched. Or are you just putting his name out there.

Here's the actual truth. If Christian Wood was in Philly right now backing up Embiid. And Bamba was here backing up Davis. YOU would be lamenting that we didn't sign Wood and brought back Bamba. Why? Because Wood would be being maximized by the coach on the 76ers and Bamba would be wasted by Ham.

Your comparing something out of nothing

Wood is always on a short leash cause he doesn’t play defense, in Dallas he got extra offensive opportunities cause the Mavericks didn’t have a legit big on the roster, at the least we would have seen Bamba give effort on the defensive end instead of watching Hayes and Wood play lackluster most of the time
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He didn't play well for us, and I am not surprised we didn't exercise his big option. I have no idea what he would have cost to resign.

I am not going to second guess the decision just because Beasley is having an amazingly uncharacteristically good season for the Bucks.

He didn’t play well for us cause we didn’t obviously appreciate what he bought to the table
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I will admit that I praised him for some of the moves he made this past offseason, but the team is clearly lacking the same cohesion and chemistry they had towards the end of last season. Under normal circumstances, a GM would build on the roster that gave them success, but it's tough to establish continuity when you lose 2 key players in Schroder and Walker, while introducing unknown variables like Gabe (injured), Prince (decent on some nights), Wood (bad on defense) and Hayes (unplayable). I think Rob knows how to construct good rosters on paper, but he doesn't seem to grasp the concept of cohesion or chemistry. Talent can only mask so many things.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He didn’t play well for us cause we didn’t obviously appreciate what he bought to the table

I have no idea what "we didn’t obviously appreciate what he bought to the table" means.

All I know is he played badly for us, and not exercising his big option was a no-brainer.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject:

We messed up by not trading for Kyrie.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I have no idea what "we didn’t obviously appreciate what he bought to the table" means.

All I know is he played badly for us, and not exercising his big option was a no-brainer.

Isn’t that the point of my post though? If you’re not gonna bring him back you still had a chance to sign him and trade him for something, why did we do the same thing with Randle? Is it cause Jeanie is cheap?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Isn’t that the point of my post though? If you’re not gonna bring him back you still had a chance to sign him and trade him for something, why did we do the same thing with Randle? Is it cause Jeanie is cheap?

We had a $16 million option on him we declined. I can see why the Lakers didn't exercise it, given his performance. That's a lot of money and it would have caused big cap problems.

No team offered him more than the vet minimum in free agency, so the notion that he would have been some hot trade item seems highly unlikely to me.

I am find we let him go. I won't second guess that just because he is doing better with the Bucks than anyone could have expected.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject:

What this team needs is a decent center that can actually bang and rebound.

As far as point..instead of Murray which only is a patch or Livine which not going to move a needls..How about Tyler Herro?

HE IS NOT GOING TO BE SOME IMPACT D HOWEVER he can catch and shoot and shoot the three and has played second fiddle...YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY as Riley is NOT DUMB just like Lavine but i trust him scoring than Lavine moving the needle. Also after having his name so many times in trade rumors for Lillard he might be tired but but they wining now soo.

AR needs ball
DLo needs ball
LBJ needs ball

there is simply not enough balls so only one of the three might actually be able to correctly score. putting either in the corner while the other dribble dribble is a waste..smh.

However im sure the lakers will do something stupid and get murray or lavine for "klutch" reasons..lol.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

We had a $16 million option on him we declined. I can see why the Lakers didn't exercise it, given his performance. That's a lot of money and it would have caused big cap problems.

No team offered him more than the vet minimum in free agency, so the notion that he would have been some hot trade item seems highly unlikely to me.

I am find we let him go. I won't second guess that just because he is doing better with the Bucks than anyone could have expected.

Everyone expected him to do better because he would be away from ham..smh. His career he has done better than here..please dont say pressure or big lights...it just you have a messed up system(LBJ system). Until we admit that alot of guys play that we want will continue to come here and fall due to that offense its not going to really matter who we get.

WE just need someone who just stand in the corner and shoot the ball and can handle the ball at pg. However they might not be able to play a lick of defense..cant have it all..they just need to be decent i guess.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:57 am    Post subject:

I thought the moves were VERY good for the most part especially considering we had beer pockets. Its EASY to be a Monday morning QB.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:23 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Your comparing something out of nothing

Wood is always on a short leash cause he doesn’t play defense, in Dallas he got extra offensive opportunities cause the Mavericks didn’t have a legit big on the roster, at the least we would have seen Bamba give effort on the defensive end instead of watching Hayes and Wood play lackluster most of the time

Again, have you even been watching Bamba play this season?
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Turns out Pelinka's offseason was a bust (so far)

activeverb wrote:

<snip>

I thought it was an OK offseason but not a great offseason,

Even at that time I looked at his moves as the price to pay to get out of the Westbrook fiasco. People forget how bleak things looked at that time.
I wasn't a Pelinka fan then, and I still am not, but these moves are only bad with the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited by ThePageDude on Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: