Uh Oh! (Shams): Growing Disconnect between Darvin Ham and Lakers Locker Room (pg. 3) đź‘€
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Uh Oh! (Shams): Growing Disconnect between Darvin Ham and Lakers Locker Room (pg. 3) đź‘€

Lakers post game comments after Bulls and Wolves lost:

Quote:

LeBron: (when asked if rotations need to be ironed out) “That’s not my call. I understand our roster hasn’t been whole all year. Vando’s working through his situation, Rui’s minutes have been up and down, Gabe’s back but on a mins restriction. We’re just trying to find what lineups works for us. We had a lineup out there that hasn’t played together all season (Gabe-Reaves-Vanderbilt-LeBron-Rui) and Chicago was able to make their run when that lineup was on the floor.”

Quote:

Davis: (when asked how he feels about their roles 30 games into the season) “It’s a lot going on… it’s just a lot. It’s hard to assess our team in a sense when it fluctuates when guys are in and out of the rotation… guys playing or not playing. Some games we might see Jax and C-Wood, some games we won’t. So it’s just a lot.”

Quote:

Russell: (when asked if players are still figuring out what their set roles are on the team) “Yeah, that’s a problem as well. Every game, some of the lineups out there, we figure it out as we go. We still haven’t seen our postseason lineup that we were successful with last year (Dlo-Reaves-Vando-LeBron-AD), we haven’t even gotten to that yet.”

Quote:

Austin: (when asked about playing only 27 mins compared to if he wants to play more): “I play the mins coach gives me. Regardless if it’s 35 mins or just 27, or 20 mins. Just go out there and compete as hard as I know how. I’d love to play 48 mins but that’s not realistic, so I just play the mins coach gives me and just try to compete while in those mins.”

Quote:

Hachimura: (when asked about trying to find a rhythm while not getting consistent mins): “It’s terrible but it is what it is. That’s what they decided you know… it’s nothing I can control, I just got to play my mins and do what I can do, just be aggressive, know the scouting, and play with energy off the bench.”

Quote:

Vanderbilt: (when asked how he feels playing on a mins restriction) “I don’t know what I’m on anymore, to be honest.”

đź‘€

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject:

A lot of this due to injuries though, which is what Bron is saying "we haven't been whole all year"

Vando not sure if he's on a restriction but we saw him aggravate his heel that he's missed time, and he wears a back brace when he's not playing. Something is going on with him for sure.

We haven't played that lineup from last year because of injuries. We didn't have playmaking off the bench with Gabe out if AR and DLo are in, and Vando started off the season hurt so he couldn't be in it.

Guys just need to be healthy if they want consistent minutes/rotations.

Not a fan of a lot of the rotations Ham uses and timeouts/challenges he doesn't use, but context is really important here.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Exactly…nothing to see here.
Lots of injuries
New lineups and rotation are expected.
Ham is an idiot though.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Where’s Prince’s comments about the rotation?
Itsowheeze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
lol. He loves it of course
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Rui is the one that sounds frustrated
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:

Proved his worth during the playoffs only to get inconsistent minutes.

Remember this?

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Do they wanna a new coach or something?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject:

They should be frustrated. They have lost four straight and counting. Some tough games still coming. Including a Christmas Day marquee beat down if they don’t change their ways.

Get frustrated, get mad, get whatever it takes to win a damn game!

They have shown they can play at a high level when they want to. They trusted each other and/ or the coach when they were winning. Now they don’t?

Tired of hearing this annual whining and excuses. Lakers culture sucks. No consistency or intensity. These are your teammates. Ham is the HC. Suck it up and start a winning streak.

“They” are frustrated? Most fans are frustrated with a team that half asses it too many nights and is 1 game out of the play-in. Not playoffs, the play-in game.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Stevie Wonder can tell these rotations are garbage and that Ham can’t coach!

Go Lakers!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:59 pm    Post subject:

There are so many excuses with this team. Some are legit, but boy, they have no shame in talking about them. I thought after the summer, we had a nice deep roster, lots of plug and play parts... I guess we were wrong.

AD/Lebron has been healthy for the most part. MJ and Pip wouldn't struggle this much, Shaq and Kobe wouldn't struggle this much, Kobe and Pau wouldn't struggle this much. Something is off with a team built around AD and Bron, and if it's not them... then it has to be Ham.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject:

Dammit Pockets ruining the team.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:38 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
A lot of this due to injuries though, which is what Bron is saying "we haven't been whole all year"

Vando not sure if he's on a restriction but we saw him aggravate his heel that he's missed time, and he wears a back brace when he's not playing. Something is going on with him for sure.

We haven't played that lineup from last year because of injuries. We didn't have playmaking off the bench with Gabe out if AR and DLo are in, and Vando started off the season hurt so he couldn't be in it.

Guys just need to be healthy if they want consistent minutes/rotations.

Not a fan of a lot of the rotations Ham uses and timeouts/challenges he doesn't use, but context is really important here.

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:44 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
There are so many excuses with this team. Some are legit, but boy, they have no shame in talking about them. I thought after the summer, we had a nice deep roster, lots of plug and play parts... I guess we were wrong.

AD/Lebron has been healthy for the most part. MJ and Pip wouldn't struggle this much, Shaq and Kobe wouldn't struggle this much, Kobe and Pau wouldn't struggle this much. Something is off with a team built around AD and Bron, and if it's not them... then it has to be Ham.

Mj has Phil, Kobe and Shaq had phill, Kobe and pau had Phil lol

We got a 2nd year head coach with a talented team which has a lot of egos he’s trying to balance.

He should stick with what worked during the playoffs and stop over thinking.

AD/wood
Lebron/rui
Vando/ Prince
Austin/ cam
Dlo/ Gabe

10 deep for the rest of the season until playoffs. Make rui the 6th man and sit lebron first. When you bring lebron back surround him with wood, prince, Gabe, reddish and let them play lebron ball!

Simple. Don’t over think it.

We need to stick to a rotation though so guys can get a rythm.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject:

This is quite typical when teams lose. The coach is trying to scramble for some answers, and then adjusts minutes. When players continue to lose, they begin to complain about their minutes.

The real concern is not Ham. We all knew what Darvin was (at least most of us). He is not a championship level coach or someone that can really elevate a team with his system. His system's are basically a bit of what Budenholzer runs. He's hired his assistants from Milwaukee and Atlanta that were on that staff (I think) and it's combined with Handy. Handy is the guy that does a lot of stuff with the players, from what I've observed. We got a cheapened version of Budenholzer. Sometimes taking on assistants can work, other times not so much. In our case we went for the leadership, we went for the voice. We focused not on Xs and Os and instead if the coach can befriend AD/Bron and gain their respect (which he did and has).

Take note, last year, it was the same coach. Yet they were able to win more games post-Westbrook trade. It's easy to blame this on Ham, but the real issue to me is that we have a weak culture in LA. Jeanie Buss started talking about just getting into the playoffs. When you start to hang banners for regular season games, then you know how much the "title or bust" mentality has faded.

I don't think this is on Darvin. Even though many will pile on him. I think we didn't do well with trading out so much offense for defense. I asked this in the summer. We let Dennis, Walker and Beasley go, and we didn't replace their offense. Instead we went with guys like Reddish and Prince. They have more defensive length, but on offense there's clear limitations. We went with Gabe, who again to me is a lesser player than Dennis.

Dennis has flaws, but gives a team 15 points 7 assists as a starter. Beasley was one of the highest volume 3 point shooters in the league. Walker, again, anytime you give him minutes, he'll score. And they would all be playing behind DLO and Austin. So we went from a smaller guard oriented perimeter unit, which could go off, to a team that's better defensively (on the surface) but way less potent on offense.

Reddish, Prince, Gabe, Hayes, they've all added length to the squad, defensively we have the potential to be elite (as shown in the tournament games) but on offense we've taken a step back. Ham like any other coach is simply looking for answers. Last year post-Westbrook trade he had a top 15 offense with a top 10 defense. That's why we won games. This year, without all those guards to score, he's got a top 25 offense and a top 10 defense. Think about what changed most roster wise. To me it's clear - it's going from a guard heavy rotation of DLO/Austin/Dennis/Walker/Beasley to DLO/Reddish/Austin/Christie. We've weakened our ability to score in the hopes that our defense would be better. Also, take note. Ham runs a lot of the stuff he learned with Budenholzer. They need a lot of guards that can shoot 3s. That's how that system works. Well, in our starting lineup, can anyone point to me where the 3 point shooting is supposed to come from?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject:

If we start Dlo, Reaves, AD, and Lebron, we have plenty of offense. We also have some offense and some decent defense with Rui thrown in. It's not that the Lakers don't have scoring, or defense. It's that Mr. Ham's rotations are not set, and they should be at this time. Mr. Ham has to commit to playing a set number of players and just go with it. Injuries have compromised that, especially with the wings. But at some point, we have to get a starting lineup and a 2nd team that knows what their playing time and roles are gonna be.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject:

We will be 30 games in at the unofficial start of the regular season : Christmas day. Time to define your 9 man rotation and your stay ready group moving forward
Here the 9 man

Reddish F/G
LBJ F/C
Davis C
Russell G
Prince G/F

Vando F
Rui F/C
Vincent G
Reaves G/F

Here your stay ready group
Lewis
Wood
Jax
JHS
Christe
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject:

Austin should 100% be playing more mins than Prince.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject:

I would like to see punches thrown.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
If we start Dlo, Reaves, AD, and Lebron, we have plenty of offense. We also have some offense and some decent defense with Rui thrown in. It's not that the Lakers don't have scoring, or defense. It's that Mr. Ham's rotations are not set, and they should be at this time. Mr. Ham has to commit to playing a set number of players and just go with it. Injuries have compromised that, especially with the wings. But at some point, we have to get a starting lineup and a 2nd team that knows what their playing time and roles are gonna be.

The Lakers are 26th in 3 point attempts, 27th in 3 point percentage and 18th in points scored. They routinely are outscored by 12-20 ppg from 3. Their offense is average but could definitely use improvement. We read here that Pelinka had solved the 3 point shooting problem, I didn’t see it then and we aren’t seeing it now. AD for one could use some shooters to open up the middle. Ham’s solution is to sit DLO who can hit 3 pointers for Vanderbilt who has no offense.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The Lakers are 26th in 3 point attempts, 27th in 3 point percentage and 18th in points scored. They routinely are outscored by 22-20 ppg from 3. Their offense is average but could definitely use improvement. We read here that Pelinka had solved the 3 point shooting problem, I didn’t see it then and we aren’t seeing it now. AD for one could use some shooters to open up the middle. Ham’s solution is to sit DLO who can hit 3 pointers for Vanderbilt who has no offense.

Well that's the rub isn't it? As wolf has noted in other posts most of the options are flawed on one side of the floor or the other. DLO/AR/Wood give you offense but can get outplayed on defense. Cam/Vando/Christie give you defense but give you little on offense. Others (Hayes) give you neither.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Too many guys on the team expecting minutes. Like you have DLO, Vincent and Reaves all expecting minutes.

You have Prince, Reddish, Vando, Rui all butting up against each other.

Team desperately needs a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 but no one can stay healthy long enough or get consistent minutes enough to show off.
zagnut08
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:

Agreed, but we also need to remember English is not his first language, so he may not be a PC as others, but also more honest possibly.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Just cut down DLo ninutes or trade his ass and they will be fine.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:52 am    Post subject:

Itsowheeze wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
lol. He loves it of course

Prince is like "oh, man, I could play 5-7 minutes more, but you know, just taking it one day at a time and playing the minutes coach gives me."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
Jump to: