Lethal Weapon Actor Joss Ackland dies at 95

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Lethal Weapon Actor Joss Ackland dies at 95

https://nypost.com/2023/11/19/entertainment/joss-ackland-dead-mighty-ducks-hans-lethal-weapon-2-actor-dies-at-95/?utm_campaign=nypost&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Quote:
‘Mighty Ducks’ and ‘Lethal Weapon 2’ actor Joss Ackland dead at 95
By Social Links forJack Hobbs

Famed British actor and "Mighty Ducks" alum Joss Ackland is dead at the age of 95.

The “Mighty Ducks” and “White Mischief” actor’s family said the star passed away “peacefully” while being “surrounded by family” on Sunday.

“With his distinctive voice and commanding presence, Ackland brought a unique intensity and gravitas to his roles,” the statement continued. “He will be remembered as one of Britain’s most talented and beloved actors.”

Ackland’s loved ones called him a “beloved father.” He had seven children with his wife of 51 years, Rosemary Kirkcaldy, before she died in 2002 from motor neuron disease. He also had 32 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

“Joss was a long-term client and great friend who remained lucid, erudite and mischievous to the very end,” Ackland’s rep told The Post.

Details surrounding the prestigious CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) recipient’s cause of death are still unclear.

Ackland’s six-decade career saw the North Kensington native acting with some of the most notable names to grace the silver screen, including Sean Connery, Alec Baldwin, Dame Maggie Smith and Dame Judi Dench.

British acting legend Joss Ackland has died at the age of 95 according to a statement released by his family.

The BAFTA nominee, who attended London’s Central School of Speech and Drama, made his stage debut in the 1945 production of “The Hasty Heart” at the age of 17.

After a string of several lucrative roles, Ackland and his wife decided to move to South Africa until 1957 when police raided their home and confiscated the book “Black Beauty” over fears the story spoke out against apartheid.

“Then one day we were raided by the police and they confiscated a book, ‘Black Beauty,’ because the horse was black,” the actor once told the Daily Mail. “I was faced with prison, so I got out in a hurry.”

The BAFTA nominee, who attended London's Central School of Speech and Drama, made his stage debut in the 1945 production of "The Hasty Heart" at the age of 17.

Following his return, the actor joined the prominent non-profit Old Vic theater group and his career took off in earnest.

After starring in several high-profile films such as “Lethal Weapon 2” and the “Mighty Ducks” franchise as Hans opposite Emilio Estevez, Ackland told the BBC that he was a workaholic and regretted his appearance in some “awful films.”

In the statement, "The Hunt for Red October" actor's family said the star died “peacefully” while being "surrounded by family."

“I’m so tired of not being able to make a movie without a car chase, or the villain dying twice — it’s all exactly the same,” the actor said in 2001, per The Telegraph.

He added: “I do a lot of crap, but if it’s not immoral, I don’t mind. I’m a workaholic.”

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject:

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!

Great character actor. I also thought he was very realistic as the Russian diplomat in The Hunt For Red October. He did have a great voice and presence.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!

Great character actor. I also thought he was very realistic as the Russian diplomat in The Hunt For Red October. He did have a great voice and presence.

JUST BEEN REVOKED

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject:

You mean we’ve lost ANOTHER great character actor?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:56 pm    Post subject:

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:56 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!

you agile sumbitch

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I appreciate your candor in the matter.

(Speaking of that, Richard Jordan was another late, great character actor. "And I yours, Andrei!")
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: