Is This Team Better? How Well Will Players Mesh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't know how people don't see/feel like the roster is appreciably better.

I know people are in love with the idea of Bamba.. but it's just an idea. Hayes, to me, has more of a motor and is a better fit for the team. No, he's not a guy you play next to AD.. but he's a guy you can at least run the P&R with and rim-run.. on a team with 5 guys who can run a P&R. Hell of an athlete and young. Big upgrade over Bamba, imo... when you consider fit and properly identify the position as a backup big.

Vincent is a better fit than Schroeder, imo. I love Schroeder and am happy he got paid.
Vincent is the same kind of competitor.. but not the same athlete. That being said.. he's a guy who's going to shoot more threes.. and not just uncontested threes, like Dennis. I think he increases your floor spacing over Dennis.

Princes is >>> than Brown Jr and better than Vando because he can shoot the three ball pretty damn consistently. Good defense at the small forward too.. wing size that can't be played off the floor like the other guys we've had.

Reddish is a nice gamble and a guy who can take some minutes, at worst. A big athlete with some skills.. who costs nothing. I can see him being a significant upgrade over Brown when it comes to defending those bigger wings.

Add to all that.. Max Christie one year older... and JHS..

Of COURSE this roster is significantly better, come on, my dudes.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

LakerFan1987 wrote:
If health permits and smart load management works.

This is easily a 54 win team, possibly more.
Ok, so better than 53 win Denver. Coool.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

We’re definitely a contender.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

Hopefully some stability with Russell and Reaves

4 sure fire starters that should play 30 minutes plus
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject:

SGSD32 wrote:
I don't know how people don't see/feel like the roster is appreciably better.

I know people are in love with the idea of Bamba.. but it's just an idea. Hayes, to me, has more of a motor and is a better fit for the team. No, he's not a guy you play next to AD.. but he's a guy you can at least run the P&R with and rim-run.. on a team with 5 guys who can run a P&R. Hell of an athlete and young. Big upgrade over Bamba, imo... when you consider fit and properly identify the position as a backup big.

Vincent is a better fit than Schroeder, imo. I love Schroeder and am happy he got paid.
Vincent is the same kind of competitor.. but not the same athlete. That being said.. he's a guy who's going to shoot more threes.. and not just uncontested threes, like Dennis. I think he increases your floor spacing over Dennis.

Princes is >>> than Brown Jr and better than Vando because he can shoot the three ball pretty damn consistently. Good defense at the small forward too.. wing size that can't be played off the floor like the other guys we've had.

Reddish is a nice gamble and a guy who can take some minutes, at worst. A big athlete with some skills.. who costs nothing. I can see him being a significant upgrade over Brown when it comes to defending those bigger wings.

Add to all that.. Max Christie one year older... and JHS..

Of COURSE this roster is significantly better, come on, my dudes.

Ok. I hear you.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Team Better? How Well Will Players Mesh?

lakersboy wrote:
I don’t know. I’d like to have a bigger, stronger pf, unless AD isn’t starting center, but it’ll be interesting to see how incoming f/a’s and rookies fit with the core. I have a suspicion AR will be better as he has been each season. I also think at least a rookie or 2 will put a smile on our face.

After having little to no interest in the opening day squad last year, I’ve got a lot of curiousity and hope that they’re a good team and may gel into one that’s very good.

What do you think?

On paper, the team this year is about equivalent to the team that ended last year or arguably a little better. The "how well will they mesh" is always the billion dollar question. You always hope the sum is better than the pieces.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject:

People comparing Hayes to Bamba are missing the point. Hayes takes Gabriel's spot, not Bamba's. Bamba did not have a spot last year due to injuries and lack of playing time given to him by the coaches. Hayes is a clear upgrade to Gabriel.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Team Better? How Well Will Players Mesh?

lakersboy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
I don’t know. I’d like to have a bigger, stronger pf, unless AD isn’t starting center, but it’ll be interesting to see how incoming f/a’s and rookies fit with the core. I have a suspicion AR will be better as he has been each season. I also think at least a rookie or 2 will put a smile on our face.

After having little to no interest in the opening day squad last year, I’ve got a lot of curiousity and hope that they’re a good team and may gel into one that’s very good.

What do you think?

in terms of meshing, lbj/ad/rui/dlo/ar/vanderbilt have played multiple playoff series together

of the players entering rotation, vincent and prince are vets and vincent was just a key cog for both offense and defense in a finals team.

we should be good, though who knows how well when playing denver and suns
Warriors adding CP3 could make them better. Memphis being healthy will make them tougher overall, except they’re losing Brooks. We’ll see

i think cp3 is a cancer to any team
not that worried about memphis as i think our new team is better than last year
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject:

AD still needs help down low.

What does Hayes, Reddish, Prince all have in common? They all averaged less than 3 rebounds per game.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Team Better? How Well Will Players Mesh?

cal1piggy wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

What do you think?

in terms of meshing, lbj/ad/rui/dlo/ar/vanderbilt have played multiple playoff series together

of the players entering rotation, vincent and prince are vets and vincent was just a key cog for both offense and defense in a finals team.

we should be good, though who knows how well when playing denver and suns
Warriors adding CP3 could make them better. Memphis being healthy will make them tougher overall, except they’re losing Brooks. We’ll see

i think cp3 is a cancer to any team
not that worried about memphis as i think our new team is better than last year
As much of a weird fit as that will be, CP3 would be a fool to think he’s going to go to that team and demand players to do things his way. He’s got to find a way to fit in if he wants to be successful.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
AD still needs help down low.

What does Hayes, Reddish, Prince all have in common? They all averaged less than 3 rebounds per game.
That was one of my biggest concerns. They need bigger bodies to rebound and block shots. I don’t expect wings to bring that to the team unless they’re really special.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
People comparing Hayes to Bamba are missing the point. Hayes takes Gabriel's spot, not Bamba's. Bamba did not have a spot last year due to injuries and lack of playing time given to him by the coaches. Hayes is a clear upgrade to Gabriel.

Great point, so then it would be nice to have a Bamba replacement.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Could definitely see rebounding being an issue
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Basically a wash. Team will go as far as LeBron. Still not a match for the Nuggets.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Team Better? How Well Will Players Mesh?

lakersboy wrote:

What do you think?

Couple of thoughts

Let’s keep in mind that this team had the best record post trade deadline in the league that’s what we’re trying to improve off of

Those same said players had no training camp together. They should be better just for being through a full season together.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Team Better? How Well Will Players Mesh?

Polarbear wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

What do you think?

Couple of thoughts

Let’s keep in mind that this team had the best record post trade deadline in the league that’s what we’re trying to improve off of

Those same said players had no training camp together. They should be better just for being through a full season together.
Their defense got better, but it seems they added a lot of offense. Maybe some defenders will emerge or work well together. We know about capabilities of the core, but the unknown is how the parts will mesh. One thing they were terrible at even after the trades was getting back defensively. Arguing with refs in the backcourt needs to cease in order for that to improve. Someone has set the example for the leaders and make them realize they’re accountable to the team.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Team Better? How Well Will Players Mesh?

Polarbear wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

What do you think?

Couple of thoughts

You can’t expect that winning %. Our schedule was easy.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject:

From what I've read about Vincent, he's a better fit than Dennis (who I like) because he's a better shooter in catch-and-shoot situations and he can guard bigger guards, unlike Dennis.

The Lakers have needed a legit 3-and-D wing for a long time. They may have gotten one in Prince. If Vando isn't getting the job done, we can roll out a Prince-LeBron-AD frontcourt.

As others said, we should be better just by having a full offseason and training camp together. With our newfound wing/forward depth, we can now limit LeBron to 32 minutes a game in the regular season, which is an absolute must IMO.

Center depth and rebounding is still a concern, along with maybe 3-point shooting. We still need a serviceable center who can play positional D versus Jokic, Embiid, Sabonis, Porzingis, etc.

But I think if we stay relatively healthy we're a legit championship contender, and we're probably deeper than the world champion Nuggets right now.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Basically a wash. Team will go as far as LeBron. Still not a match for the Nuggets.

Nuggets just loss Brown and Green and Thomas Bryant (he's not that important).

Brown was their super 6th man. Green was an important PF/C backup.

Now they only got Braun off the bench.

Repeating isn't easy
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Team Better? How Well Will Players Mesh?

Halflife wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

What do you think?

Couple of thoughts

Not as easy as you think if you actually look at the teams that were playing and their current records. Many of those teams were going all out for playoff seeding.

MIL
GS 3
POR
NOLA 2
DAL
MEM
OKC x2
MIN
ORL
TOR
NYK
HOU x2
DAL
PHX x2
CHI x2
MIN
UTA x2
LAC

If you actually look at the context, most of these teams were trying their hardest to win.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Team Better? How Well Will Players Mesh?

Halflife wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

What do you think?

Couple of thoughts

Oh, come on that is such a weak argument
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject:

All I keep hearing from the experts on ESPN is that we’ve had a monster A+ off season the past 3 days and our team is ‘stacked’ and ‘deep’

I will listen to them and enjoy that we are not only better, but much better with some time and getting the players we did.

we are gonna be contenders next year.

Title or bust.

Go Lakers!!
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
If health permits and smart load management works.

This is easily a 54 win team, possibly more.

I am predicting a 57 win team. That will get us home court throughout the playoffs and we will make it to the finals in my opinion.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject:

He's pretty much on the same level as Donte Divincenzo, who just signed a 4yr/50m deal with the Knicks. Identical stats and efficiency. Same roles. Aside from age, TP has the slight advantage because of his height and interchangeability.

And we got both Prince and Dlo for less than half the price of guys like DD and FVV.

Insane if you ask me. Cost efficient contracts that one can only dream of.

If they are happy with him, he'll get that Divicenzo money sooner or later.

Last edited by Denny_Russo on Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject:

I go back to the beginning of last year

A completely unbalanced roster
Total lack of wing players
Undersized

Then we got to the trade deadline and made a couple of trades it immediately fix the roster. Some of it addition by subtraction because Westbrook did not fit this team at all

Then they took what they did at the trade deadline, and through the draft and free agency kept building on it

It’s a very balanced roster, but more than that it’s not three stars in a bunch of veteran minimum contracts. It’s not three stars and a bunch of aging players. It’s two stars in a bunch of quality depth. This is how you build a modern NBA team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: