17th Pick: JALEN HOOD SCHIFINO is a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Lakers failed miserably with this pick.
Could have picked Jacquez, Whitmore - who actually play.

Still believe the Lonzo pick was by far the worst in franchise history. They passed on Tatum, Fox, Lauri, etc.

No matter who they took at that #2, he was going in the AD trade. You can quibble over whether Tatum or Fox would have saved the Lakers an extra future pick.

Ball was also a clear talent whose health was derailed by his dad’s awful shoes, something that couldn’t have been discovered in the scouting process. To me, the JHS pick is worse..
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Lakers failed miserably with this pick.
Could have picked Jacquez, Whitmore - who actually play.

Still believe the Lonzo pick was by far the worst in franchise history. They passed on Tatum, Fox, Lauri, etc.

No matter who they took at that #2, he was going in the AD trade. You can quibble over whether Tatum or Fox would have saved the Lakers an extra future pick.

Ball was also a clear talent whose health was derailed by his dad’s awful shoes, something that couldn’t have been discovered in the scouting process. To me, the JHS pick is worse..

And keeping Tatum or Fox would have meant no ring. They just do not have the same impact that AD did. We can question the trade all we want, but trading for AD was a no-brainer at the time, although they did give up too many assets IMO. It goes without saying he's the only reason the Lakers aren't in a full-fledged rebuild right now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
There is some perspective needed in this thread. Hopefully JHS has a smooth recovery.

Yep. kid is progressing well, and doing great in the G-League where he's getting time and development. Has to sit out with small back procedure and the 'fans' can only complain about him.

Perspective is definitely needed.

Get well soon.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject:

whitmore, averaging 12 pts in 18 minutes. 46% fg, 36% from 3. smh
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

Ya I get the frustration but we need a bigger sample size for JHS. This was a redshirt year for him.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Per McMenamin, he is ahead of schedule on recovery. Already doing towel waving drills and highlighting g-league games on his calendar.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Ya I get the frustration but we need a bigger sample size for JHS. This was a redshirt year for him.

I don't think we need a bigger sample size. Leaving out the obvious like Jaime or Podz, even Trayce Jackson Davis - who went way lower - has turned out to be a nice pick that is contributing significantly this season.

I don't dislike JHS. I think there is talent there and he could quite possibly develop into something nice, but I think it's pretty clear that he's not as talented/developed/whatever the case may be as other picks that were available.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Per McMenamin, he is ahead of schedule on recovery. Already doing towel waving drills and highlighting g-league games on his calendar.

Someone will immediately post YouTube videos of his g league towel waiving skills
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Someone will immediately post YouTube videos of his g league towel waiving skills

Looking forward to many years of JHS vs Mac McClung. Could be the next great rivalry!
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Ceiling is Jamal Murray 2.0

Floor is THT? Lol

Floor is Caruso.

floor is china
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

You enjoy kicking players when they're down and injured?
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

I don't think we need a bigger sample size. Leaving out the obvious like Jaime or Podz, even Trayce Jackson Davis - who went way lower - has turned out to be a nice pick that is contributing significantly this season.

I don't dislike JHS. I think there is talent there and he could quite possibly develop into something nice, but I think it's pretty clear that he's not as talented/developed/whatever the case may be as other picks that were available.

Fair enough. They are talented dudes who are looking like a big miss for the FO at the moment, but also keep in mind that Whitmore, Podz or Jaquez Jr may be undervalued or underutilized with Ham here. The reason the dynamic works well for Podz right now is the because the Warriors need every bit of talent they can get next to Curry. Jaquez fits like a glove in arguably the best system in the NBA. Whitmore plays for an awesome coach who believes in him. I'm eager to see JHS prove himself in the summer league and show what he's all about.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Fair enough. They are talented dudes who are looking like a big miss for the FO at the moment, but also keep in mind that Whitmore, Podz or Jaquez Jr may be undervalued or underutilized with Ham here. The reason the dynamic works well for Podz right now is the because the Warriors need every bit of talent they can get next to Curry. Jaquez fits like a glove in arguably the best system in the NBA. Whitmore plays for an awesome coach who believes in him. I'm eager to see JHS prove himself in the summer league and show what he's all about.

Ham is not the greatest coach in the world, but who on the team is being held back? Rui has had his two best seasons under Ham. DLO is having his best season ever. Reaves went from undrafted to a max-for-him deal that would've been higher if the Lakers didn't so successfully scare everyone off. Lebron is still Lebroning at 39 and AD is finally beating double teams, something he never did with his previous coaches. Vando had 3 other teams (all with great development records) essentially give up on him before becoming a fan favorite here on his way to finally being used correctly until he got hurt. Reddish is as unreliable as he's been anywhere else. The one guy that's been a dud really is Wood and that's because he basically went Malik Beasley on us with his shot just not dropping.

He definitely mis-/overused Prince, especially putting him in a POA role. Other than that, Ham's issues have largely been rotations and minute distributions. So why do we just assume Ham would have screwed up any other rookie's performance?

A 19-year-old Max Christie looked decent in his 500 minutes last year--way better than JHS. But his body was underdeveloped, and there were too many vets ahead of him. Yet if Max Christie could get 500 minutes last year despite a deep guard rotation ahead of him (last year was Reaves/Russ/Beverly/Dennis/Walker pre-trade then DLO/Malik/Reaves/Dennis/Walker ahead of him post-trade) only JHS's own abilities can be blamed for getting barely 100 minutes with an arguably smaller guard pool (until we got Spencer, it was basically DLO/Reaves/Christie). He didn't produce a single moment in the pros worth feeling good about. That's on him (or the FO for drafting him), but not Ham.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Injury has nothing to do. Even when healthy he hasn't given any glimpse of hope in an NBA game.

He should have never been picked over cam Whitmore or jjj or the warriors kid
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject:

I think he will be fine. If Gabe is traded this offseason in a package for Trae young I expect JHS to become our backup point. I think he makes the jump this summer.

He’s not an all around athlete but he is very quick, and strong.

He seems to have worked on his jumper as well. Looking forward to seeing him in summer league.

He should be able to crack the rotation in year two as a 17 overall pick. If he can’t I think the criticism will be valid.

Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Ham is not the greatest coach in the world, but who on the team is being held back? Rui has had his two best seasons under Ham. DLO is having his best season ever. Reaves went from undrafted to a max-for-him deal that would've been higher if the Lakers didn't so successfully scare everyone off. Lebron is still Lebroning at 39 and AD is finally beating double teams, something he never did with his previous coaches. Vando had 3 other teams (all with great development records) essentially give up on him before becoming a fan favorite here on his way to finally being used correctly until he got hurt. Reddish is as unreliable as he's been anywhere else. The one guy that's been a dud really is Wood and that's because he basically went Malik Beasley on us with his shot just not dropping.

He definitely mis-/overused Prince, especially putting him in a POA role. Other than that, Ham's issues have largely been rotations and minute distributions. So why do we just assume Ham would have screwed up any other rookie's performance?

A 19-year-old Max Christie looked decent in his 500 minutes last year--way better than JHS. But his body was underdeveloped, and there were too many vets ahead of him. Yet if Max Christie could get 500 minutes last year despite a deep guard rotation ahead of him (last year was Reaves/Russ/Beverly/Dennis/Walker pre-trade then DLO/Malik/Reaves/Dennis/Walker ahead of him post-trade) only JHS's own abilities can be blamed for getting barely 100 minutes with an arguably smaller guard pool (until we got Spencer, it was basically DLO/Reaves/Christie). He didn't produce a single moment in the pros worth feeling good about. That's on him (or the FO for drafting him), but not Ham.

Some good points. Seems like his fate will be tied to how well he performs in the summer league and in preseason. If Dinwiddie is on the team next season, then he'll have a hard time carving out a spot.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Injury has nothing to do. Even when healthy he hasn't given any glimpse of hope in an NBA game.

Most first years don't unless they're thrown on a team going nowhere and get a ton of opportunities. Which wouldn't be here. The reality was any of those guys drafted here would have spent this year progressing in the G-League just like JHS is and he's shown a lot of promise there for a first year guy. Same went for Max Christie, and you see the progress he makes after the year of that going into Summer League.

The sad part is that JHS had to get back surgery while he was on a role and playing extremely well in the G-League in his first year. So those are all good things.

That's what I focus on and then I wait till Summer League to see how he progresses and into next season. Rather than kicking him when he's down you should WANT for him to continue to progress instead of whining about who we didn't draft.

Philly could have drafted Porzingis instead of Okafor and Ingram instead of Simmons and Tatum over Fultz and they'd currently be a dynasty right now. But they don't cry about it.

So rather than celebrating the downfall of a kid who was playing extremely well in the position he was in which was the reality for anyone drafted here, all that energy could be used to wish him well and hope he continues to progress in the direction he was.

Max Christie looks crap in garbage time too this season, but we know that isn't all he has to offer nor do we judge him by it. And he's been progressing for 2 years now.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Most first years don't unless they're thrown on a team going nowhere and get a ton of opportunities. Which wouldn't be here. The reality was any of those guys drafted here would have spent this year progressing in the G-League just like JHS is and he's shown a lot of promise there for a first year guy. Same went for Max Christie, and you see the progress he makes after the year of that going into Summer League.

The sad part is that JHS had to get back surgery while he was on a role and playing extremely well in the G-League in his first year. So those are all good things.

That's what I focus on and then I wait till Summer League to see how he progresses and into next season. Rather than kicking him when he's down you should WANT for him to continue to progress instead of whining about who we didn't draft.

Philly could have drafted Porzingis instead of Okafor and Ingram instead of Simmons and Tatum over Fultz and they'd currently be a dynasty right now. But they don't cry about it.

So rather than celebrating the downfall of a kid who was playing extremely well in the position he was in which was the reality for anyone drafted here, all that energy could be used to wish him well and hope he continues to progress in the direction he was.

Max Christie looks crap in garbage time too this season, but we know that isn't all he has to offer nor do we judge him by it. And he's been progressing for 2 years now.

There are some exceptions to 1st year players getting a chance and it has occurred recently with the Lakers and Austin Reaves. Whitmore imo was a no brainer as the best player available and an area of need at SF big wing for the team.

I’ve said it before, red flags should cause a pass for lottery selections but outside of that, teams should use red flags to take advantage of selecting players that are much better than their draft position. Whitmore was the poster child for that imo.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
MJST wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

There are some exceptions to 1st year players getting a chance and it has occurred recently with the Lakers and Austin Reaves. Whitmore imo was a no brainer as the best player available and an area of need at SF big wing for the team.

I’ve said it before, red flags should cause a pass for lottery selections but outside of that, teams should use red flags to take advantage of selecting players that are much better than their draft position. Whitmore was the poster child for that imo.

Reaves was in college multiple years. Those guys come into the league more ready to contribute and even then it was a growing process for him. But when I touted him back when he had a Triple Double at the end of that first year and said it shows what he can do, all I heard was that it meant nothing
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I constantly forget this guy exists
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I think he will be fine. If Gabe is traded this offseason in a package for Trae young I expect JHS to become our backup point. I think he makes the jump this summer.

He seems to have worked on his jumper as well. Looking forward to seeing him in summer league.

He should be able to crack the rotation in year two as a 17 overall pick. If he can’t I think the criticism will be valid.

I don't see how he's not part of a Trae Young package or for whoever they try to get with their picks. They're already short on future draft picks to trade.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:14 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

I don't see how he's not part of a Trae Young package or for whoever they try to get with their picks. They're already short on future draft picks to trade.

That may be true.

Rui
Reaves
Vincent
3 FRP
Pick swaps
JHS

For Trae young….

That’s lowkey a haul for Trae young!

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That may be true.

Rui
Reaves
Vincent
3 FRP
Pick swaps
JHS

For Trae young….

It'd be a terrible trade for us.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:25 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

That may be true.

Rui
Reaves
Vincent
3 FRP
Pick swaps
JHS

For Trae young….

It'd be a terrible trade for us.

Do not understand the desire to add Young. Not the player on the court that matches the hype around him IMO.

Too inconsistent for my taste in a star player. When hot he can be incredible, when not he is a huge liability. In all fairness, I only see the Hawks a few times a year but he never seems to be focused and locked in to winning. Often making crucial mistakes or selfish plays that costs his team.

Prefer the Lakers keep the above package and keep building chemistry. I’m old I guess. I tend to think you should keep role players that show potential and impact on the court to build with, not see them as trade fodder all season long.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject:

trade this guy to get pippen jr back. he's ballin for the grizzlies
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 45 of 48
Jump to: