*** Los Angeles Lakers vs Memphis Grizzlies (04/26/23 @4:30 PM PT) 1st Round - Western Conference (Game #5) ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Theseus wrote:
DrDent wrote:
Theseus wrote:
I wish you could look at the foul total at the end of games and determine if the game was called evenly or not. What a wonderful world that would be.

Unfortunately, even the national broadcasters, who typically try to avoid criticizing the officials at all costs, were commenting on multiple plays the grizzlies were getting away with. There was a hold of tillman on Lebron that didn't get called. Rui getting hit in the middle of the chest and getting called for a foul that was called "good defense" by reggie miller. Out of bounds calls that didn't go our way that were obviously Laker ball that somehow were missed. Many more that I'm sure we'll get replays on at some point.

Can't just go by foul total. It'd be even weirder if the fouls were even, wouldn't it? Both teams playing identically as far as fouls are concerned would be weird. My issue isn't in the number of fouls, but the types of contact that was called vs what wasn't called.

Grizz got back into game 4 by pulling the physical antics and wacking Laker players until the refs started cleaning it up later in the 3rd. It was as if the Grizz were testing the gray area of foul calls.

Yeah, it was a bit obvious. That play where Brooks used a forearm shiver on DLo to get the loose ball right in front of the officials, and then threw a bad pass that got intercepted but Ja fell down so he got the foul call. It was clear we were working out of two separate rule books.

Yep. Put another way, if 1 is breathing on someone is a foul, and a 10 is allowing old school Detroit Piston physicality, refs to me certainly call the game for Grizz (when they play D) at something like a 7; whereas for the Lakers, they are far more critical with foul calls, calling the Laker D at around a 4-5 range.

This is the way I saw the game as well, using your 1-10 spectrum.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Theseus wrote:
DrDent wrote:
Theseus wrote:
I wish you could look at the foul total at the end of games and determine if the game was called evenly or not. What a wonderful world that would be.

Unfortunately, even the national broadcasters, who typically try to avoid criticizing the officials at all costs, were commenting on multiple plays the grizzlies were getting away with. There was a hold of tillman on Lebron that didn't get called. Rui getting hit in the middle of the chest and getting called for a foul that was called "good defense" by reggie miller. Out of bounds calls that didn't go our way that were obviously Laker ball that somehow were missed. Many more that I'm sure we'll get replays on at some point.

Can't just go by foul total. It'd be even weirder if the fouls were even, wouldn't it? Both teams playing identically as far as fouls are concerned would be weird. My issue isn't in the number of fouls, but the types of contact that was called vs what wasn't called.

Grizz got back into game 4 by pulling the physical antics and wacking Laker players until the refs started cleaning it up later in the 3rd. It was as if the Grizz were testing the gray area of foul calls.

Yeah, it was a bit obvious. That play where Brooks used a forearm shiver on DLo to get the loose ball right in front of the officials, and then threw a bad pass that got intercepted but Ja fell down so he got the foul call. It was clear we were working out of two separate rule books.

Well said buddy.

nothing new when you’re on the road

If we can get the same treatment next game, I am totally ok with it, but we sure didn’t get it last game
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Theseus wrote:
DrDent wrote:
Theseus wrote:

Well said buddy.

nothing new when you’re on the road

If we can get the same treatment next game, I am totally ok with it, but we sure didn’t get it last game

Gun to my head....I wouldnt count on it. The league knows its an elimination game for the Grizz but a critical home game for us so I would expect an even game. Its kinda like despite the BS in Games 5 and 6 in 2002 vs Sac, I thought Game 7 was called fair in Sac and let the best team win
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject:

In a close out game ad played 35mins and bron played 36 mins 😂
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Memphis coach made a couple of defensive adjustment this game which kept Jackson around the paint which allows him to play safety most of the time.

Jackson on Vando
Tillman on Lebron
Brooks on AD
Ja on Reaves
Bane on DLo

Like I mentioned in most nights DLO/Reaves/Vando will be outscored by their match-ups. Lebron vs Jackson has been some what of a wash this series. AD has been up and down. There has not been a game when both AD and Lebron both dominated the game. Maybe game 3.

Our bench is suppose to be our advantage this series. So far those guys as a group has not performed well together. It's either one of Rui or Schro. Tonight they didn't show up.

It be interesting how Ham or the rest of coaching staff counters Grizz adjustments and physical play. Just like game 2, Lakers can't seem to match with it.

following your reasoning Lebron only scored 15pts

Lebron had an off game today. So did the rest of our players outside of AD. Lebron is more effective when he can operate in space. If those guys are not hitting shots. It will be hard for the current Lebron to score. Specially with his 3s not falling right now. Also it will be tough for Him and the team if Grizz is continued to play with that much physicality.

Bron has to own fault too. When AD sat in the first it was a 5 point, two possession game. Bron had 5 turnovers in the first half, 4 of them without AD on the floor to compound the unit with him at 5 being bad and Beasley sucking.

But ham put him in that spot too. He pulled Reaves and Russell both in the first and he left Bron out there as the 5 on D and point on O, as he had Denis assigned to chase Bane who was hot. The last game in LA, Bron was not the point guard with the second unit on O. He had Reaves out there to handle the ball, while Denis chased a guy, Bron was a 5, Troy was a 3, and Rui a 4 …. For some reason Ham went away from that to try and get Beasley confidence

plus all those settling ill advised 3pt shots by Lebron

I agree, but I don’t think it’s a point where you can ask Bron to be the 5 and the 1 at the same time like Ham did in the first half to dig the first hole. He spent game 4 running Reaves with Bron, Denis, Rui, and Troy. That worked because Reaves handled the ball and it’s necessary if you’re asking Bron to contest shots and board while telling Denis chase this guy 94 feet.

I mean Ham corrected the lineup and had something that while it didn’t win, treaded water after he had lost badly the games before when AD sat. And he changed it because he wants to give Beasley confidence. Miller said it during the game, Beasley is playing bad and a non factor out there, Reggie’s words.

Why go from winning game 4 with Denis Reaves Troy Rui Bron and Russell Denis Troy Rui AD closing the third that game to what you did tonight with Beasley and leaving Bron with no other ball handler?

Why take Denis off Ja and put him on bane? Even if Bane was going off, using Denis to chase him makes no sense as Ja is the heart and energy of their team.

Why give Beasley those minutes yet sit Russell for stretches both game 3 and 4 when he’s effective? You could easily build Russell’s confidence but Ham say him for 20 minutes each half of each game in real time to build Malik. It makes no sense
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Laker games generally have higher ratings which lead to more dough for the NBA and the networks so there's very good incentives to prolong the series as much as possible. If the Griz shot more FT on Friday, I'm calling for a thorough investigation.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Laker games generally have higher ratings which lead to more dough for the NBA and the networks so there's very good incentives to prolong the series as much as possible. If the Griz shot more FT on Friday, I'm calling for a thorough investigation.

If they do, they will have truly earned it. The league wont screw the Lakers over in such a pivotal game.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

We’re a great team if Lebron is great but his age and hobbled foot has him great part-time

Last edited by JerryWest_44 on Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

If they do, they will have truly earned it. The league wont screw the Lakers over in such a pivotal game.

I certainly hope you are right
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Jason pretty much said what I said in terms of the dynamic of us vs MEM is similar to GSW vs MEM last year. The margins in terms of who is better is very similar to last year and playing out similarly. So look at it positively guys....we are at a similar to level to where the Warriors were last year. Not as good offensively but defensively we are locking them up better than the Warriors did last year so overall margins are about similar and its obvious we are the better team.

cyrus_the_virus
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject:

I blame this on Jeannie, she wanted another home playoff game to assist in paying the luxury tax.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Just look at the how the Heat played tonight. We don’t have the dog like Jimmy buckets
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Just look at the how the Heat played tonight. We don’t have the dog like Jimmy buckets

In all my years of watching bball, I dont think Ive seen anyone who can raise their play in the playoffs from their base level like Buckets. Seriously not one.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

In all my years of watching bball, I dont think Ive seen anyone who can raise their play in the playoffs from their base level like Buckets. Seriously not one.

Big Game James? Even I have to admit…not like Buckets.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Big Game James? Even I have to admit…not like Buckets.

Its so crazy because you take out Buckets and you insert pretty much anybody currently in the league and the Heat are lucky to win 2 games much less the series. With Lebron in for Buckets, Miami probably gets swept - maybe Game 3 but thats it.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Couple that with a coach who can diagram plays like pop and that can develop nobodies.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Couple that with a coach who can diagram plays like pop and that can develop nobodies.

Yeah, we literally have no set plays on offense. All I saw was iso by lebron
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

What about healthy Kawhi? Or playoff Rindo? Or Robert Horry or Derek Fisher?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Kawhi’s line is healthy or unhealthy, if he is healthy, he is great in regular season as well as post season. All the other were pretty much role players (yes, even rondo)
Actually Lebron rise up in the playoffs in his prime, he had another gear, but the issue is his base level In the regular season is too high compare to Jimmy buckets
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Kawhi’s line is healthy or unhealthy, if he is healthy, he is great in regular season as well as post season. All the other were pretty much role players (yes, even rondo)
Actually Lebron rise up in the playoffs in his prime, he had another gear, but the issue is his base level In the regular season is too high compare to Jimmy buckets

What about Paul Pierce?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

What about Paul Pierce?

For best performing actor? Sure
He actually played worse in the playoffs compare to regular season.
It’s very rare because stars usually show up in the playoffs
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:30 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Didn't see the game but kind of crazy that Jimmy scored 42 and was a -10 in the +/- tonight.

It seems like it's mainly been the finals against the Lakers and the past two seasons where he has been dramatically better. He's had some really bad playoff performances too. He was universally terrible in the 2020-21 playoffs shooting under 30% overall. Was he injured that year?

Last edited by ducasse on Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:53 am    Post subject:

Looking at box score the bench got destroyed. Rui, Dennis, Beas, Troy all with huge negatives in +/-
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject:

There is no production from bench.

Only guy that was producing(Rui) got his mins cut from 32 to 22 mins

Useless coach
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Looking at box score the bench got destroyed. Rui, Dennis, Beas, Troy all with huge negatives in +/-

Happens on the road, for some of these guys their first close out game.

They should be better at home in game 6.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50
Page 50 of 50
Jump to: