Will Westbrook on the Clippers help or hurt them?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Quote:
Ty Lue is a great offensive mind

word?

I've always liked the sets they've ran in LA since he's joined. You don't think so?

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
defense wrote:
Quote:
Ty Lue is a great offensive mind

word?

I've always liked the sets they've ran in LA since he's joined. You don't think so?

I don't watch them very often, but when I do, I see a lot of Leonard and George taking turns.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I’m guessing he will be just fine on the clips.

Different role and expectations. Likely comes off the bench for about 20mins per game.

He will rack up the assists with the 3pt shooters the clips have. Likely never closes a game or put into critical situations. And can be benched the moment he starts playing out of control or making bad decisions. And on a minimum contract instead of $46m per.

Unfortunately I can see him thriving and providing a spark off the bench for the clips in the playoffs. Could make the difference over four series.

We will see.

He’s starting
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/ovolakeshow/status/1627784108696018949?s=46&t=szrTmJoGPbxIQMkGk-CI9Q

Well their fan base grew exponentially tbh…they just adopted the Russ stans
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject:

He will hurt them.
They will grow reliant on what he has to offer, pushing the ball, passing, rebounding.
Then they will realize in the playoff he is one of the easiest players to neutralize through game planning. Teams will exploit the weakness.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:

Ive heard it all now

Russ is going to unlock PG and Kawhi. PG and Kawhi are BETTER off ball...

Russ is "great" on ball defense.

Man some of you I really want what you're smoking.

The truth is every possession that the ball is in Russ's hands and not Kawhi or PG is a win for whoever the opposition is. The same was true for us and every superstar hes every played with.

PG and Kawhi are always better players when they are playing off the ball.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Ty Lue is a great offensive mind and Russ's defense on ball has been great. Not sure how it will play out for the Clippers but I definitely think they're a better team if Ty Lue can manage Russ's expectations.

If we look at the oddsmakers the Clippers odds to win the title before and after the Russ announcement remained the same, -900. They don’t anticipate him making much of a difference either way.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers stars can shoot so I guess the answer is yes he can help them. Neither guy can pass like Lebron so they need Russ with the ball in his hands and he needs to have the ball in his hands.
Valdarno
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Clippers are a much better run organization, are a much better team, and have a much better coach. I suspect Russ will do well. We'll see soon enough........

Russ did well with Washington, yes?

Russ is not a perfect player, but how many are?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Make no mistake about it...the almost sole problem with Russel Westbrook is $47 million. Without that problem, he is an asset. Without his salary preventing upgrading the team he can be used in a way that benefits almost any team.

He beat Memphis for us and won a few other games, also lost the Portland game as well as losing several other games. At $47 million, the perception is that WB should be used to close games or play 25+ minutes, both usages of WB causes him to be a liability as he was for the Lakers. But at the vet min as an add on player, WB can be used for 20-25 minutes and not be used for closing games then he will be an asset for the Clips...especially since Kawhi and George are 38% 3pt shooters unlike the Lakers where their stars are 25% and 30% 3pt shooters causing the use of Westbrook to be a liability.

The Lakers can beat the Clips with Westbrook on the Clips...but you best believe that it is going to be more difficult and Westbrook will be more of a positive than a negative as he fits better with the Clips than he does with the Lakers.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
He will hurt them.
They will grow reliant on what he has to offer, pushing the ball, passing, rebounding.
Then they will realize in the playoff he is one of the easiest players to neutralize through game planning. Teams will exploit the weakness.

He won't be that type of Russ with the Clippers, and they won't be heavy reliant on him, compare to when he was with OKC and HOU.

But Clippers still goes as far as Kawhi and PG' health... But they are built better and can still win a series without 1 of them.

But for the guys that thinks he will tank that Clips like he did with the Lakers are wrong. Lue and West won't allow that.

Last edited by miggz23 on Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
He will hurt them.

He won't be that type of Russ with the Clippers, and they won't be heavy reliant on him, compare to when he was with OKC and HOU.

But Clippers still goes as far as the Kawhi and PG' health... But they are built better and can still win a series without 1 of them.

But for guys who thinks, he will tank that team like with the Lakers are wrong. Lue and West won't allow that.

It is a completely different situation since the Clippers were a playoff team and title contender without him. So of course he won't make the team look as bad as he did here. But his TO's and lack of any Bball IQ will make him nothing more than a bench warmer in the playoffs.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
He will hurt them.

But Clippers still goes as far as the Kawhi and PG' health... But they are built better and can still win a series without 1 of them.

But for guys who thinks, he will tank that team like with the Lakers are wrong. Lue and West won't allow that.

Truth...the belief that Westbrook will cause problems for the Clips is irrational wishful denial...Kawhi and George both shoot over 37% from 3pt range so there is less relance on the need for Russ to hit his 3s. Also, the Clips already have an identity that they rely on so it is unlikely that they will suddenly change to rely on Russ. Russ is but an add on to an existing structure. Russ will be a problem for other teams with him on the Clips. Obviously none of us know, we're all speculating...so my last word is...just watch. Time will show it.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Whatever happens, he probably knows this is his last chance to help a contender.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

Whatever happens, he probably knows this is his last chance to help a contender.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
He will hurt them.

Truth...the belief that Westbrook will cause problems for the Clips is irrational wishful denial...Kawhi and George both shoot over 37% from 3pt range so there is less relance on the need for Russ to hit his 3s. Also, the Clips already have an identity that they rely on so it is unlikely that they will suddenly change to rely on Russ. Russ is but an add on to an existing structure. Russ will be a problem for other teams with him on the Clips. Obviously none of us know, we're all speculating...so my last word is...just watch. Time will show it.

Yup... I've always thought Russ game is more effective with shooters around. Well the Clips are loaded with that. Most of those guys can play defense too. Clippers will be an upgraded version of that Wizards and Rockets team he played on.

If it does not work out... It's much easier to just bench him at a buyout price. Low risk high reward for the Clips.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
He will hurt them.

And I’m sure Russ being pulled in the playoffs won’t affect the locker room at all. Particularly if they start losing games they should win.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Make no mistake about it...the almost sole problem with Russel Westbrook is $47 million. Without that problem, he is an asset. Without his salary preventing upgrading the team he can be used in a way that benefits almost any team.

He beat Memphis for us and won a few other games, also lost the Portland game as well as losing several other games. At $47 million, the perception is that WB should be used to close games or play 25+ minutes, both usages of WB causes him to be a liability as he was for the Lakers. But at the vet min as an add on player, WB can be used for 20-25 minutes and not be used for closing games then he will be an asset for the Clips...especially since Kawhi and George are 38% 3pt shooters unlike the Lakers where their stars are 25% and 30% 3pt shooters causing the use of Westbrook to be a liability.

The Lakers can beat the Clips with Westbrook on the Clips...but you best believe that it is going to be more difficult and Westbrook will be more of a positive than a negative as he fits better with the Clips than he does with the Lakers.

well, he has 23+ games left to prove he's worth $47M, so expect to see him rack up those stats ..... and turnovers
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Russ at $47 million is a terrible deal. But at what the Clippers are paying? Steal. I'm surprised though. Didn't Kawhi basically screw him when Russ reached out to team up? Kawhi then told PG what Russ was doing behind his back and made a deal to get PG to the Clippers, leaving Westbrook floundering on the Thunder. They can say it's forgotten, but I don't know. History like that can bubble back up.
VindicatioN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject:

ITT: a bunch of chicken littles, undercover clipper fans, and not so undercover clipper fans 😂
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject:

They're going to suck with WB - that's my prediction.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Regardless of the amount of the $$$ he's getting that incredibly low bbiq still remains the same.. If he's starting in the Playoffs that's a win for the opposition especially if he's at all playing at the end of close games. Leave him open as usual and give more attention to the real threats. I'm sure he'll have some neat stats here and there but a winning player he is not imo.

I can't wait to hear how much the Clippers fans can't stand him by Seasons end.

It's going to be fun the first few times Russ makes a brutally bad mistake late in a game and they pan to Kawhi's usually emotionless face actually showing a rare sign of disgust. These are the kind of moments that warm my basketball heart <3
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject:

The dude is a net negative to winning.

If you play him less minutes, he affect you less.
If you play him more, he affect you more.

Sometimes he could have a crazy performance, but it will all average out to net negative eventually.

And Russell Westbrick has no accountability for his mistakes.
With a team with no clear leadership. I can see it as an issue.

The fact Clipper signed because they feel like as currently constructed, they can’t go all the way.

And they want to gamble on Westbrick to potentially give them the extra boost.

Which is the wrong mentality to start off with.

westbrick might be good for a few regular season games where Kwahi can load manage more, but it will be at the cost of team unity.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Russ is still a good player, but he won't be the answer to the Clippers' point guard problems.

At times, he will be good for them. He will push the pace, which is something they're bad at, and he'll get guys easy baskets. But he just isn't a difference-maker anymore.

If this were the Russ from 3-4 years ago, perhaps he would be enough to put them over the top. But not anymore.

I wonder how many Clippers fans think they now have a superteam, just like how they thought John Wall would make them into a superteam.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ahaider wrote:
Ty Lue is a great offensive mind and Russ's defense on ball has been great. Not sure how it will play out for the Clippers but I definitely think they're a better team if Ty Lue can manage Russ's expectations.

If we look at the oddsmakers the Clippers odds to win the title before and after the Russ announcement remained the same, -900. They don’t anticipate him making much of a difference either way.

That makes sense from the book standpoint. They don't really have much data on his fit /mins. If he's not working, they'll cut him. If he starts to move the needle they'll adjust the odds because naturally people will start hitting that line.

I'm not sure where you sourced -900 VLF but I'm pretty sure you meant +900. For what it's worth, I actually think that's a worthy bet for consideration.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: