Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:04 am    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:

Cool story bro - lol

"If the Lakers make the play in then it was worth it keeping the other FRP because I like the team as is better than any of the trades that were reported to be available for the 2FRPs....but if the Lakers don't make the play in then I would have rather made a trade, even if it cost more and didn't have these players"

Rob did an excellent job. That deal was highway robbery at the beginning of the season. We're probably not winning a chip this year - so why act desperate. Rob was clowned for giving up too much in the AD and other trades. It took time to do what he did and we are the better for it. I thought all along that the Russ thing would take time to unwind. If we don't make the playin/playoffs so be it.

Lol, gottem. I was down for a pacers trade earlier this season but regardless of how the rest of the season turns out I'm glad they made these trades instead. Lakers would have def won more games up to this point with a indy trade but trading Westbrook without getting a ball handler back would have been bad news. Maybe there was someone else out there we could have got for a second but our ceiling would have been capped with Lebron/Dennis/Reaves as your best ball handlers/passers.

Not to mention we will never now what exactly what was on the table. If indy insisted on reaves as well? Who gives a crap how good of finishers miles and buddy are if we only have one person who can consistently get them the ball.

Tonight's game was so fun.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:24 am    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Vanderbilt looks like a real steal. Rob's redeemed himself. If we make the playoff/in I don't think any team wants to face us.

Nah...no redemption yet because the delay may have cost the season. If the team makes the post season then yea, Shawshank for Rob for sure.

Delay in what the free agency deadline is the free agency deadline. We don’t know that this package was available to us earlier.

People speculate, but we don’t really know

I don’t think the Minny part was available earlier. I think Towns being hurt and Rudy struggling without Conley helped things

The Jazz side likely wasn’t available early either. There’s a reason most deals don’t happen unless it’s before the season or right near the deadline. Teams explore and ask for the world until there’s an actual time crunch and a risk they’ll not be able to make a deal. The Jazz deal a couple months ago probably had Ainge asking for both picks and Reaves/Max.

Come on guys, you know exactly what I'm getting at...I'm glad we got the guys we got for the price...but another FRP for a deal prior to training camp would have been likely worth it. (not Heild/Turner)

Said so many times before...10 games where just one upgraded player made just one more play and the Lakers could have 10 more wins. Even just winning half of those would put the Lakers in the 4th seed and winning all ten would have the Lakers in 2nd place in the West. Water under the bridge but a deal before camp would have been worth the other pic.

That was the beauty of the trade that Pelinka made. We didn’t have to give up that FRP keep in mind that they’re thinking of the future whenever they’re making these trades for the players. We have now look at them young not going to be super expensive to resign so the chances of being able to retain most of them are good and then we only had to give up one FRP a protected FRP in order to make all this work

I didn’t want to give up both FRP’s that’s one of the things that made these trades a win

But the team is in 13th place in the standings and may not have enough games left to make the play in. Would you give up the FRP to be 2nd in the West right now? I would. Brogdon/Heild/Turner for WB/THT/2FRPs or WB/2FRps for Richardson/McDermott/Poetl or WB/2FRPs for Rozier/Oubre/Washington.

If the Lakers make the play in then it was worth it keeping the other FRP because I like the team as is better than any of the trades that were reported to be available for the 2FRPs....but if the Lakers don't make the play in then I would have rather made a trade, even if it cost more and didn't have these players....because this team has shown that with 2 or 3 upgrade plalyers they could have been a top 4 seed in the West. Unlike those that said it wouldn't move the needle, or the ceiling would be the 6th seed so it wouldn't be worth it, the games played with close losses seems to indicate that it would have had the team near the top of the West standings.

That's a both sides of your mouth argument -- you don't get to make decisions with the knowledge of the outcome before you make them. You make a call and live with the consequences (well unless you're on a message board lol)

Waiting for these deals -- I think will prove better in the long run

I'm not talking out of both sides...I'm saying unequivocally that a deal should have been made prior to training camp...now that it wasn't then I will say that it was worth it if the team makes the postseason. Giving the unknown I prefer the deal before camp because based on the way the team played before upgrades it seems as if they would be a top seed in the West right now. I don't want to complain about water under the bridge, just don't want to say redemption is appropriate before making he post season because making the post season as a top seed was the likely outcome if the trade was done before the season started. This isn't hard and I'm not being ambiguous in the slightest, people that want to take up for Rob are just ignoring what I'm saying denying reality.

Rob wasted this season waiting until the trade deadline to make a deal unless the lakers make the play in. I love what he did but would have preferred to be 2nd in the west right now than 13th. If the Lakers make the postseason then Rob made up for it with the players acquired, roster flexibility, and low cost. That's as simple as I can put it.

GM's don't play fantasy ball -- they make real decisions with real risks. The both sides part is arguing that if what he did works -- great! -- forget what I said. And not riding with your 1st decision without owning or taking the L for what you would have done if you were the GM.

If you don't care either way, that's one thing. But you clearly have a preference. If they don't make the playoffs - maybe you were right (although we'll never know for certain - but you can argue it)

Said un-questionably that I prefer that trade had been made BEFORE training camp and never insinuated that since Rob did a great job at the deadline forget what I said...it's easy to make that up to support your stance....it's just not true.

Cool story bro - lol

"If the Lakers make the play in then it was worth it keeping the other FRP because I like the team as is better than any of the trades that were reported to be available for the 2FRPs....but if the Lakers don't make the play in then I would have rather made a trade, even if it cost more and didn't have these players"

Rob did an excellent job. That deal was highway robbery at the beginning of the season. We're probably not winning a chip this year - so why act desperate. Rob was clowned for giving up too much in the AD and other trades. It took time to do what he did and we are the better for it. I thought all along that the Russ thing would take time to unwind. If we don't make the playin/playoffs so be it.

It goes even farther than that
Everybody said, and I mean everybody that there was no way we were getting rid of Russell Westbrook, without giving up an unprotected FRP didn’t matter what the trade was, unless it was something very minor

Rob because he waited, didn’t give up an unprotected FRP. He gave up an unprotected FRP, and some pieces that were not going to be on the team next year and immediately made the team better.

On top of that, even though we his fans don’t really care about it, he made everybody happy because he saved the Lakers money. They literally have more money coming off the books because of trading away Beverly, whenever it comes to the luxury tax equation.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
Aside from a Kyrie trade..none of the rumored trades in the off-season make us a contender this year.

The trade we made at the deadline makes us deeper and gives us assets for the future.

I’m fine with Rob waiting till the deadline.

It’s Ham and the players fault for tricking away games that should have been won and the refs for screwing us in the Dallas and Boston game.

I know this is not a popular opinion, but I don’t think the Kyrie trade makes us instant contenders

Number one that guy is a (bleep) wacko and everything that comes with it he takes games off. He gets hurt too much.

Number two now we’re in the situation where we’ve got three stars and nothing else that has not worked out for us. So far I realize that Russell Westbrook was a huge bust as being the third star but having the three huge names on the team has not translate it out into a winning record.

This team is now built around
Two stars
A third all-star that is guaranteed to consistently give you about 20 points a game
A solid group of bench players, that are good enough to start
Promising young players that were bringing along like Vanderbilt and Mo, Bamba, and Austin, Reaves and max Christine

Give me a team like that over a three star team were you don’t know their availability any day of the week
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject:

A much needed win. Even showed some depth in the roster. Kind of a nice change.

Still have a lot of work to deal to get back into the play-in. But for today, I liked what I saw last night. Hope they can continue with the effort and the wins.

Lakers have dug such a deep hole they have zero room for error. The schedule and roster changes sets them up for no more excuses or poor performances.

I’m excited to see the solid win. Actually excited about the final 23 games and a playoff push. Just have to get past this ridiculous exhibition game and week.

Enjoy it if it is your thing. I’ll be waiting for the season to start again.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject:

DLO, Vando, Beaz, Rui were all nice pick ups that changed the trajectory of this team in a positive way.
This squad actually has a lot of youth, potential and depth. Our future looks much brighter, with the new additions, than it did a few weeks ago.

Twenty-three games to go and each one is a must win game for the Lakers. LET'S GO LAKERS!!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
DLO, Vando, Beaz, Rui were all nice pick ups that changed the trajectory of this team in a positive way.
This squad actually has a lot of youth, potential and depth. Our future looks much brighter, with the new additions, than it did a few weeks ago.

Twenty-three games to go and each one is a must win game for the Lakers. LET'S GO LAKERS!!

What I see is a team that finally has the ingredients to form an identity and possibly a culture. I leave it to Darvin to forge them and Jeanie to keep building.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39
Page 39 of 39
Jump to: