Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
strong9 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Thompson is a ghost of himself

He's not a ghost of himself. He dropped 42 and 31 in the games prior to this. Reaves and everyone else that switched on him just didn't let him have an inch. They played him brilliant all game. It's what they did not what Thompson didn't do.

Yes but he is a step slower. And while that doesn't prevent him from getting his shots everytike, it does mean that he is a little easier to contain. Will be interesting to see if GSW resigns him.

Flamethrower prior to this game. Y'all don't watch GSW which is fine but, seriously...

Did you see what I wrote?

Yes I even italicized the part I was responding to. Thinking that his value has diminished to the point of GSW not wanting him is... incorrect to say the least IMO. To me one could only think that if this is the only game they'd seen him in.

Last edited by TDRock on Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Interesting to think what the next game will look like and how Bamba factors into the rotations.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
DLO isnt quite Nick the Quick in crunch time but a hell of a lot better than Russell Westbrook

Nick the quick wasn’t exceptional in crunch time let alone the playoffs himself. He too was every bit as bad as Russ was when he saw Stockton. He’ll Stockton would look his way and Nick would cry and forget how to shoot and start planning Cancun

Dude I think you are forgetting all the game winners Quick hit and his series in 1995 against the best defensive foursome backcourt by far in the league with Payton, McMillan, Gill and Askew with 3 of these guys all-defense caliber in his very first playoff series. Van Exel won that series single handedly and Robert Packed Payton to the point Payton learned you dont talk (bleep) to Van Exel. Also the game 5 at the Alamodome with 2 clutch shots and 1 to win the game????? Also in 1997, he cooked Stockton a couple games as well but in 1998, he was bad. But dont forget Fisher in 1998 as well because he was noticeably scared of Stockton and had a horrible series himself. Finally 2003 vs Sacramento, Van Exel pretty much was the MVP and difference maker of that series

I’ll give you he roasted the kings in 03. He also was outright horrible versus the Spurs the next series which got him out of town shooting like 37% while old man Kerr came in and sent him home.

Van Exel in 97 took 6 threes a game in that series and he shot 27%. He gave shaq no spacing or defense. The Portland series before that he shot 30% from the field and 27% from three.

In 98 he shot 24% from the field versus the Jazz and he shot 19% from three. He was good versus Seattle. He sucked versus Portland that first round too again shooting 25% from the field and 29% from three.

He was as much a joke and choke artist as Eddie Jones when he had expectations. The mavs were trying to get out the west he choked. The Lakers played the Jazz and he choked both years.

It’s similar to Van Exel and Eddie being replaced by Fisher and Fox. Fisher and Fox had intelligence, balls, and toughness when things got tough despite being less talented. Russ had the talent but Dlo has actual iq and poise. So a talent downgrade is going to be a system upgrade on the court

Dude did u look up Fisher's numbers vs the Jazz in 1998. The guy was scared (bleep) of Stockton (I think he later admitted Stockton got to him) and he started the second half of that year. Also I dont know how u can watch Nick's time with the Lakers and think he was scared of the moment unlike Eddie Jones. Funny you also dont bring up 1995 at all - you know when he destroyed the best backcourt defense in the 90s outside Harper/Jordan. Nick's low field goal percentage should tell you the guy gets hot and cold real fast and unlike Eddie Jones, he actually has playoff performances in his resume. Everyone who knew basketball from that time knew Van Exel was one of the premier clutch players in the league aside from Jordan along with Reggie Miller, Stockton and Horry
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Looks like we found our team
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Anthony Davis said he and D’Angelo Russell were talking the entire game, analyzing their pick-and-roll chemistry and where each other likes the ball offensively. Davis added that he, Russell and LeBron James were drawing up plays at halftime and figuring out their three-man game.

Nice
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject:

vanderbilt was giving me a mix of lamar odom the way he rebounded and ran the floor then gave me some jerami grant with his defensive energy. dude was such a steal and hes def going to become my fav player.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
DLO isnt quite Nick the Quick in crunch time but a hell of a lot better than Russell Westbrook

Nick the quick wasn’t exceptional in crunch time let alone the playoffs himself. He too was every bit as bad as Russ was when he saw Stockton. He’ll Stockton would look his way and Nick would cry and forget how to shoot and start planning Cancun

Dude I think you are forgetting all the game winners Quick hit and his series in 1995 against the best defensive foursome backcourt by far in the league with Payton, McMillan, Gill and Askew with 3 of these guys all-defense caliber in his very first playoff series. Van Exel won that series single handedly and Robert Packed Payton to the point Payton learned you dont talk (bleep) to Van Exel. Also the game 5 at the Alamodome with 2 clutch shots and 1 to win the game????? Also in 1997, he cooked Stockton a couple games as well but in 1998, he was bad. But dont forget Fisher in 1998 as well because he was noticeably scared of Stockton and had a horrible series himself. Finally 2003 vs Sacramento, Van Exel pretty much was the MVP and difference maker of that series

I’ll give you he roasted the kings in 03. He also was outright horrible versus the Spurs the next series which got him out of town shooting like 37% while old man Kerr came in and sent him home.

Van Exel in 97 took 6 threes a game in that series and he shot 27%. He gave shaq no spacing or defense. The Portland series before that he shot 30% from the field and 27% from three.

In 98 he shot 24% from the field versus the Jazz and he shot 19% from three. He was good versus Seattle. He sucked versus Portland that first round too again shooting 25% from the field and 29% from three.

He was as much a joke and choke artist as Eddie Jones when he had expectations. The mavs were trying to get out the west he choked. The Lakers played the Jazz and he choked both years.

It’s similar to Van Exel and Eddie being replaced by Fisher and Fox. Fisher and Fox had intelligence, balls, and toughness when things got tough despite being less talented. Russ had the talent but Dlo has actual iq and poise. So a talent downgrade is going to be a system upgrade on the court

Dude did u look up Fisher's numbers vs the Jazz in 1998. The guy was scared (bleep) of Stockton (I think he later admitted Stockton got to him) and he started the second half of that year. Also I dont know how u can watch Nick's time with the Lakers and think he was scared of the moment unlike Eddie Jones. Funny you also dont bring up 1995 at all - you know when he destroyed the best backcourt defense in the 90s outside Harper/Jordan. Nick's low field goal percentage should tell you the guy gets hot and cold real fast and unlike Eddie Jones, he actually has playoff performances in his resume. Everyone who knew basketball from that time knew Van Exel was one of the premier clutch players in the league aside from Jordan along with Reggie Miller, Stockton and Horry

Van Exel wasn’t clutch. He wasn’t a good playoff player. He wasn’t a leader. He was flash. In modern terms he’s a a less talented, much less talented Lillard. If you put expectations to show up and win it all on Nick you got what you got versus Utah or versus the Spurs in 03. The finals are there looking at you and Nick the Quick was nick the invisible. It’s like when dame made the conference finals and there was no dame time. Nick was great when he was expected to lose and the under dog much like Dame is, but when you put the gold in front of him he was nowhere near clutch.

No one with common sense says game on the line, for a title … give me Van Exel over Fisher. Van Exel isn’t hitting 75% of his threes ver San Antonio, hitting 0.4, averaging 21 in close outs, going into Boston in the finals in game 3 … he wasn’t that. He wasn’t Horry, MJ, or anything like that.

He was a choke like Eddie. He was always inefficient. He was always bad at defense. He was a malcontent in every locker room he touched. And teams won and went farther when they shipped him out.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject:

One thing not being talked about?

The defense tonight was very good. We have been giving a huge amount of points here lately and everyone stepped up solid team game on defense.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
strong9 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
strong9 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

He's not a ghost of himself. He dropped 42 and 31 in the games prior to this. Reaves and everyone else that switched on him just didn't let him have an inch. They played him brilliant all game. It's what they did not what Thompson didn't do.

Yes but he is a step slower. And while that doesn't prevent him from getting his shots everytike, it does mean that he is a little easier to contain. Will be interesting to see if GSW resigns him.

Flamethrower prior to this game. Y'all don't watch GSW which is fine but, seriously...

Yes I even italicized the part I was responding to. Thinking that his value has diminished to the point of GSW not wanting him is... incorrect to say the least IMO. To me one could only think that if this is the only game they'd seen him in.

Not really. With his age (he will be 34.5 years old at the start of the 2024-2025 season), spat of injuries and salary/contract length he will likely seek as a final cash out, it isn't automatic. Has nothing to do with how he is playing at the moment and more with how he is likely to age.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Anthony Davis said he and D’Angelo Russell were talking the entire game, analyzing their pick-and-roll chemistry and where each other likes the ball offensively. Davis added that he, Russell and LeBron James were drawing up plays at halftime and figuring out their three-man game.

This bodes VERY well.

Bron only does this if he sees something big, otherwise he shuts it down for the year.

#BannersOverBillboards
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Man, Vanderbilt is just a pup to

Really young lots of room for his game to grow
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Van Exel wasn’t clutch. He wasn’t a good playoff player. He wasn’t a leader. He was flash. In modern terms he’s a a less talented, much less talented Lillard. If you put expectations to show up and win it all on Nick you got what you got versus Utah or versus the Spurs in 03. The finals are there looking at you and Nick the Quick was nick the invisible. It’s like when dame made the conference finals and there was no dame time. Nick was great when he was expected to lose and the under dog much like Dame is, but when you put the gold in front of him he was nowhere near clutch.

No one with common sense says game on the line, for a title … give me Van Exel over Fisher. Van Exel isn’t hitting 75% of his threes ver San Antonio, hitting 0.4, averaging 21 in close outs, going into Boston in the finals in game 3 … he wasn’t that. He wasn’t Horry, MJ, or anything like that.

He was a choke like Eddie. He was always inefficient. He was always bad at defense. He was a malcontent in every locker room he touched. And teams won and went farther when they shipped him out.

Couple of these points are fair:

1. He was bad at defense and inefficient - fair but it was counterbalanced by the fact that Nick took very good care of the ball and didnt turn the ball over.

2. Comparing Quick to Eddie is a joke. Stop that. Eddie was soft and never took over games and carried a team on his back. One look at their body language demeanors and you knew Eddie was a born loser whereas Van Exel was never scared to shoot.

3. In 1998, Horry, Kobe and Fisher were all terrible vs the Jazz. Are they chokers too? In 1997, you are forgetting Van Exel actually had a decent series vs the Jazz and matched Stockton toe to toe. Elden Campbell and Eddie Jones were the real culprits here my friend. Also Nick did get outplayed by Kenny Anderson. Who really cares though? We were never losing to Portland that year. And lets be honest, had the Lakers beaten Houston in 1997 WCF (as they matched up well with the Rockets) and beaten the Jazz in 1998 WCF, we were not beating MJ. The Lakers were not ready yet, even if Van Exel did have a history of torching Ron Harper, Randy Brown, Pippen or whoever the Bulls put in front of him.

4. The comp as a less talented Dame Lillard is close.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject:

strong9 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
strong9 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
strong9 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Not really. With his age (he will be 34.5 years old at the start of the 2024-2025 season), spat of injuries and salary/contract length he will likely seek as a final cash out, it isn't automatic. Has nothing to do with how he is playing at the moment and more with how he is likely to age.

Well this isn't Warriorsground but I think his value is still there. Now I could see this being his last extension with them. But I do think they're going to go out with the big three or at least the big two… Draymond is over there yukking it up with his Klutch brothers so who knows what's happening there... but I think Steph and Klay will ride into the sunset with the Warriors.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
strong9 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
strong9 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
strong9 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Well this isn't Warriorsground but I think his value is still there. Now I could see this being his last extension with them. But I do think they're going to go out with the big three or at least the big two… Draymond is over there yukking it up with his Klutch brothers so who knows what's happening there... but I think Steph and Klay will ride into the sunset with the Warriors.

Yeah, this is silly as hell haha.. Even stretching it to the last 10 games (counting tonight) he's shooting 43% from three and averaging 24ppg.. You got to give our defense credit, they played with incredible energy pretty much all game long.. Look at how many charges and illegal screens they caused and outside of a couple wide open looks they purposely gave Green you rarely seen a completely clean look from anyone else. I can't recall that happening many times if any this entire Season.

I was also ready to rip AD but he got much more aggressive in that 4th when it mattered most and battled on both ends relentlessly so he more then made up for it and ended up having a damn good game overall.. I would have to think he's ecstatic to see so much effort and proper defense being played which hopefully just wakes him up that much more going forward.

I tell you what, this team will be an absolute nightmare low seed matchup to anyone if they are healthy come playoff time. If Bamba comes out of that U Haul looking to prove he's a talent again this team could have some scary potential.

Most of all though it was just nice asf to watch a team play properly and with a ton of energy and effort again. It's been awhile! Nice to see a Russell that knows how to shoot from a foot away from the basket as well
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject:

So happy they got Vando in that trade.
genester
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:

The defense tonight was very good. We have been giving a huge amount of points here lately and everyone stepped up solid team game on defense.

Well said. Last time we held a team to 103 or fewer points was 11/25 against San Antonio
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:27 pm    Post subject:

genester wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Well said. Last time we held a team to 103 or fewer points was 11/25 against San Antonio

Amazing! An this was against the Champion Warriors and I don’t care if Steph was missing this squad is still lethal. Survived that Jordan Poole buzz saw!

Hate to say this but with Westbrook we lose this game by 11 lol

P.S I need that Vando jersey asap! No disrespect to DFish lol
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject:

This was a great win - the Warriors even without Steph are super good at home and the refs were killing us again.

LOVED what I saw from Vanderbilt, DAMN that guy is good - does all the little things defensively and isn't all that bad in terms of passing / ball-handling on offense, constantly moving. If I'm Ham I'm playing him a ton of minutes.

All the new guys played well, including Rui and D-Lo. Beasley was bricking but liked how smooth he was moving and getting open, penetrating - when Lebron comes back he will light it up with open looks. Hopefully Ham can pair his minutes with Lebron.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm locking up Vanderbilt now if I'm Pelinka, not a chance in hell you let that guy go. What a beast man, love players like that who have a feel for the game.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Solid win was good to see. Players competed the entire game m

With all the new players it could have easily got away from them. But didn’t.

Just keep grinding and good things will happen.

On to Portland. They need to pick up the full game on them.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Lakers would not have won this game with the pre-trade deadline roster. They win in GS with LeBron out and AD having a bad offensive night? That's a really good sign.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject:

Watching the highlights for this game, and MAN it’s a breath of fresh air. Main takeaways about the new guys:

- DLo and Vando are incredible for what we need - a tertiary scorer/playmaker who can shoot from deep and defend reasonably well enough, and a defensive guy with superb smarts and feel, plus better offense than I expected?! Gotta keep them both next year
- DLo and Dennis mesh really well together. If you can sign Dennis for the TPMLE this summer, you do it (I doubt we can)
- Beasley will have hot and cold games. I like him off the bench
#18 next...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
Looks like we found our team

indeed, both short term and long term possibility
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject:

a2j1m wrote:
vanderbilt was giving me a mix of lamar odom the way he rebounded and ran the floor then gave me some jerami grant with his defensive energy. dude was such a steal and hes def going to become my fav player.

Duuude, good call. He had those Lamar vibes. Lamar's defensive strength was how he could switch onto everybody too. Vanderbilt has more defensive tools than Lamar, but I can see some Lamar there for sure. Love Lamar, hope he's doing well
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Watching the highlights for this game, and MAN it’s a breath of fresh air. Main takeaways about the new guys:

- DLo and Vando are incredible for what we need - a tertiary scorer/playmaker who can shoot from deep and defend reasonably well enough, and a defensive guy with superb smarts and feel, plus better offense than I expected?! Gotta keep them both next year
- DLo and Dennis mesh really well together. If you can sign Dennis for the TPMLE this summer, you do it (I doubt we can)
- Beasley will have hot and cold games. I like him off the bench
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 43 of 44
Jump to: