Car crashes into Bicyclist on PCH in Dana Point. Gets out and assaults the bicyclist and kills him/her

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Car crashes into Bicyclist on PCH in Dana Point. Gets out and assaults the bicyclist and kills him/her

Sounds like intentional first degree murder. The car hit the bicyclist who was in the bicycle lane. The driver then turned around and assaulted the bicyclist. Rumors of a stabbing. Witnesses in the area held the suspect in custody until law enforcement arrived to arrest him.

Yeah, this sounds like something happened between the bicyclist and driver and the driver ran him/her down and killed him/her.

Video:
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject:

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:55 pm; edited 10 times in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject:

********WARNING**********

This is the actual crash caught on someone's ringcam. Don't click if you're not ready to watch:

https://twitter.com/RssRyan/status/1621022252795068417

********WARNING**********

Here's also the googlemap streetview of where the accident occurred. You can see where the bike lane is:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4867397,-117.7269215,3a,75y,321.93h,81.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJFo-0zoPe28GoqA-An-5EQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject:

They're now calling it murder:

Quote:
Police: Driver intentionally hit bicyclist before stabbing him to death

A driver was arrested and accused of slamming his car into a bicyclist, then getting out and stabbing the rider to death.

In the aftermath of the attack, a black mountain bike with a crushed back tire was left on its side in the middle intersection, and a white Lexus was stopped nearby, the windshield caved in.

Investigators said they believed the driver of the Lexus intentionally hit the bike before he got out and stabbed the cyclist, killing him.

https://www.cbs7.com/2023/02/02/police-driver-intentionally-hit-bicyclist-before-stabbing-them-death/

Quote:
The OCSD said the cyclist was riding in the bike lane and stopped at a red light when he was struck from behind. The driver intentionally struck the cyclist, officials said.

The Lexus driver then got out of the car and stabbed the cyclist.

The victim was rushed to a nearby hospital. Around 5:52 p.m., authorities confirmed the victim had died.

The driver was held at the scene by citizens until law enforcement arrived and arrested him.

"There were actually locals that were able to detain him until police arrived," said OCSD Sergeant Mike Woodruff. "As far as relationship or motive, we have no idea at this time."

Quote:
The Orange County District Attorney's Office identified the suspect Thursday morning as 39-year-old Vanroy Evan Smith.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/cyclist-dies-after-being-hit-by-car-stabbed-on-pch-in-dana-point/

The victim was an ER doctor:

Quote:
Laguna Beach Doctor Dies After Fatal Collision, Knife Assault on PCH

A Laguna Beach cyclist died yesterday after being struck from behind by a vehicle, then stabbed at the Pacific Coast Highway and Crown Valley Parkway intersection in Dana Point.

Orange County Sheriff’s deputies found Laguna Beach doctor Michael John Mammone, 58, lying in the intersection and suffering from severe injuries when they arrived on scene at 3:02 p.m. Mammone was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

Mammone was on a mountain bike facing northbound on PCH when he was struck from behind by the suspect’s vehicle. The driver, Vanroy Evan Smith, 39, from Long Beach, exited his car and assaulted Mammone with a knife. When deputies arrived on the scene, local bystanders had Smith detained. The suspect was taken into custody and later booked into the Orange County Jail on suspicion of murder. A knife believed to be used in the assault was recovered at the scene, officials said in a release.

Quote:
According to witnesses, the driver, Vanroy Evan Smith, got out of the car, brandishing a knife and a BB gun, and proceeded to stab the injured doctor.

Bystanders stepped in and managed to detain the attacker until the authorities arrived. Smith was arrested on suspicion of murder and booked into the local jail.

The knife used in the attack was found at the scene. The motive behind the attack remains unknown, but the police keep all options open and conduct a thorough investigation to uncover the truth.

There was no apparent connection or prior relationship between the victim and the attacker.

Quote:
The motive behind the heinous incident remains unclear, and police have said the two men were strangers to each other, but a neighbor told ABC7 she heard the suspect muttering about “‘white privilege’” after hearing what sounded like a “gunshot.”

Quote:
Smith then got out of his Lexus and stabbed him with a large, long knife, sheriff’s deputies said. Witnesses on cell phone video are heard describing it as a machete. One man directed others to find it in nearby bushes.

Looks like the ER doctor worked here: Providence Mission Hospital Laguna Bch, 31872 Coast Hwy, Laguna Beach, CA 92651

And the accident happened on PCH and Crown Valley Parkway, 1 mile away.

My guess is, something happened in the ER room. Maybe the doctor was operating on Vanroy Evan Smith's loved ones and they died. Vanroy blamed the doctor, followed him about a mile, ran him over and stabbed him to death.

Now, looking at the map, looks like the accident happened south of the hospital. But I think the bike was heading north on PCH at the time. So I'm not sure how that adds up to my theory. But, I think there's a connection somehow. Because it really does sound very personal and there was alot of rage from Vanroy.

Quote:
Mammone “was riding a bicycle facing northbound on PCH when he was struck from behind by the suspect vehicle,” the release says.

Yeah, so the doctor was around 1.3 miles south of the hospital but he was traveling northbound at the time around 3pm. So maybe not coming off of work then.

Quote:
“An innocent man is dead because he took a bike ride to enjoy a beautiful California day along the beach and he was hit with a car and stabbed to death by someone he apparently never met,” Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said in a statement.

“The murder of a complete stranger in broad daylight for what appears to be absolutely no reason is the stuff of nightmares,” he said. “This unspeakable act of violence will forever haunt those who were forced to witness it and it will forever haunt all of those who loved Dr. Mammone.”

Yeah, so far no connection. If they are indeed complete strangers, wowo. How'd a person become so enraged by a stranger?

------------------------

Update: suspect has been charged with murder. Bail at $1M

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: Accountant accused of smashing his Lexus into ER doctor's bike and then stabbing him to death is held on $1M bail

Smith is accused of running over the married father-of-two before getting out and stabbing him and has been remanded into custody with $1 million bail.

The alleged killer was also charged with the personal use of a deadly weapon and will appear in court on February 14.

It is unclear if the doctor was traveling to or from work during the incident, with friends saying he regularly cycled to the hospital as he lived close by.

His wife Julie told DailyMail.com that it was a 'really difficult time' for the family after the tragic incident.

Smith, a father-of-two, remains in custody at the Intake Release Centre in Orange County.

Dr Mammone has worked as an ER physician at Providence Mission Hospital in Laguna Beach, since 2011 and graduated from the Keck School of Medicine of The University of Southern California in 1993.

He also occasionally worked out of Mission Viejo and the Children's Hospital of Orange County in Santa Ana.

He leaves behind his wife Julie, a nurse in the same hospital, and two sons, Nick and Jon.

'He has saved so many lives here, and he died very close to where he saved hundreds of lives,' said cardiologist Doctor Dawn Aatwal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11711329/Accountant-accused-murdering-California-ER-doctor-58-given-1million-bond.html

Quote:
Smith could face up to 26 years to life in prison if convicted at trial.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject:

So many unstable mother fers out there that are ready to snap at any little provocation. I don't even honk at people anymore when I'm driving, you don't know what the other people are capable of.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

My guess is, something happened in the ER room. Maybe the doctor was operating on Vanroy Evan Smith's loved ones and they died. Vanroy blamed the doctor, followed him about a mile, ran him over and stabbed him to death.

There was an episode of ER (terribly underrated TV, some of the best that network TV ever did) where Anthony Edwards' character, an ER doc, gets brutalized by a disgruntled patient over the death of a loved one.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
How'd a person become so enraged by a stranger?

It’s pretty crazy what some people will do when they get road rage. My first thought was that there was some kind of incident on the road that set this guy off. It wouldn’t be the first time for something like that. A few years ago a guy drive his guy intentionally through two people riding down one of the canyons in the Palisades just because he got mad that he couldn’t get past them on the one lane road.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject:

This guy definitely had some issues:

Quote:
Vanroy Evan Smith’s ex-wife ‘feared for her safety’ before he allegedly mowed down, stabbed Michael Mammone

The ex-wife of an increasingly reclusive Vanroy Evan Smith had feared for her own safety in the weeks before he allegedly mowed down and stabbed a Los Angeles doctor to death in broad daylight, family and friends told The Post.

Smith, a Long Beach accountant, was arrested Wednesday for launching emergency room doctor Michael Mammone off his bike and into an intersection, where Orange County sheriffs said he attacked the injured cyclist with a knife, mortally wounding him.

Just a few days before the tragic incident, police were called to conduct a wellness check on Smith’s ex-wife over “something involving Mr. Smith,” his former father-in-law Stanley Hart told The Post Friday.

“She was concerned for her own safety before this,” Hart said of his daughter, Marla Annette Hart.

Hart said his former son-in-law was a well-mannered young man but had a history of “issues.”

“It wasn’t like I didn’t believe it, but I never could’ve imagined this,” Hart told The Post.

“He has some issues, that’s all I can say. If the authorities do their due diligence, they will probably determine pretty quickly what those issues are.”

Marla and Smith were in the midst of a bitter custody battle over their twin girls, Hart said. Marla, who filed for divorce over a decade earlier, was seeking full custody of their daughters.

The twins were Smith’s “world,” friend and former client Jo A. Gilliam told The Post, though she was under the impression Smith had not been seeing them lately.

“This is ridiculous. I’m devastated. I just spoke to him on the 23rd, and he said he was doing OK, but he was going through some things,” Gilliam said.

She said Smith had begun closing himself off in the weeks leading up to the tragic assault and mysteriously shut down his business without notice.

Gilliam, who met Smith as a client seven years earlier, said she reached out to him in late January at the request of several mutual friends. They had tried calling him in hopes of acquiring his tax-preparing services, but he hadn’t been responding.

In a text, Smith told Gilliam that he simply wasn’t doing taxes anymore, but offered no further explanation.

Gilliam suspected that Smith may have stepped back from accounting due to trouble with his ex-wife.

It is unknown if Smith’s family issues played a role in his alleged attack on Mammone, which was caught on surveillance footage.

“He’s a good dude. He’s a very nice man. Something had to trigger him because this is not him. He’s a good guy. He’s never in trouble for anything,” Gilliam said.

Smith may have quit his tax business over a year ago, said former client Alice Smith, who is not related to the alleged killer.

Alice, a loan manager, once worked in the same business as Smith for several years but said he packed up and left recently, though he didn’t tell her why.

Though she knew him for years, she said he kept his personal life close to the vest and spent “97%” of his time alone. Smith never mentioned his ex-wife or his beloved daughters, despite having photos of the twin girls all over his office.

“I don’t know his personal life, I just know his business side,” Alice said.

“I am very much shocked by all this. The Evan I know is not this Evan … He was a sweet, respectable guy. Nothing negative. He’s a person who gave the shirt off his back.”

https://nypost.com/2023/02/03/ex-feared-vanroy-evan-smith-before-he-allegedly-killed-michael-mammone-dad/
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject:

The highway's jammed with broken psychos on a last chance power drive?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Well, this psycho was definitely Born to Run . . . Over some poor doctor.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Well, this psycho was definitely Born to Run . . . Over some poor doctor.

Miiister State Troooo-per.... Pleeeeassse don'tcha stop me....
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject:

We got the motive, from the killer himself. He said he woke up that day with the sole intention of killing someone. He went and bought the knife and drove around looking for someone to kill. It wasn't road rage, it wasn't personal. He just intended to kill someone in the name of religion:

Quote:
Suspect confesses in jailhouse interview to killing beloved doctor in Dana Point

The Long Beach man accused of running over and stabbing a beloved physician in Dana Point earlier this month confessed to the killing in a jailhouse interview Friday, Feb. 10, saying he has no regrets and was entitled to commit murder because he is both God and Jesus Christ.

In a rambling, hourlong interview with a Southern California News Group reporter, Vanroy Evan Smith cited end-of-world scriptures from the Bible’s Book of Revelation and said that if the public knew he was the Messiah and the “king of kings,” they would think differently about him and his crime.

“I have killed,” Smith, 39, said during the interview at Orange County’s Intake Release Center in Santa Ana. “If they knew who I was, they would let me walk out of here. They would fulfill all my desires.”

Smith, originally from Jamaica, has pleaded not guilty to homicide charges in the death of Dr. Michael John Mammone, and is being held in jail on $1 million bail.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department said Mammone, 58, was riding his mountain bike in the bicycle lane on Pacific Coast Highway at Crown Valley Parkway when he was struck from behind by a white Lexus driven by Smith. The impact hurled the doctor into the air.

Smith then got out of his car and stabbed Mammone with a large, long knife, sheriff’s deputies said. Witnesses on cellphone video were heard describing it as a machete. One man directed others to find it in nearby bushes. Bystanders detained Smith until deputies arrived.

Mammone died after he was rushed to Providence Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo, one of the hospitals where he had served as an emergency medicine physician.

Smith, who denied in the jailhouse interview that he is mentally ill, said he awoke on the morning of Feb. 1 fully expecting to kill someone by the end of the day, adding that he has long been plagued by troubling “communications” from others and conflict because of his mixed-race heritage.

Smith said he placed a BB gun, intended to be used as a distraction, into his Lexus, and drove to a Long Beach area gun store, where he purchased the knife.

Smith, appearing unshaven and wearing a beige, jail-issued T-shirt and speaking by phone from a Plexiglass booth, cited a passage from the Gospel of Luke 22:36 as biblical justification for obtaining the knife.

In the scripture, Jesus tells the 12 apostles that “he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.” Smith said he also considered using a bow and arrow in the attack, but ultimately decided against it.

After purchasing the knife, Smith recounted that he began driving around and felt compelled to run over Mammone and stab him. “It was my right,” he said, rubbing his hand against his eyes while adding that he feels no remorse for the killing. “He was in the crosswalk and presented himself.”

Smith said he chose Mammone because he is a man, insisting he would not kill a woman. After the attack, Smith believed he would either be taken into custody or killed by police, preferring the latter.

He denied uttering racial slurs about “white privilege” at the crime scene, as some reports indicated, but did acknowledge vocally accusing a man who detained him of being “gay” because the man’s groin was nearly touching him.

Smith described the attack on Mammone as “minuscule” compared to the wave of murders from others that will be coming soon, claiming that Jesus recently killed thousands in the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria on Monday. He vowed not to kill again if released from jail.

Smith came to California after marrying his now former wife and U.S. citizen Marla Hart of Long Beach in 2008. He has worked as a janitor and most recently as the owner of a Long Beach tax preparation and accounting firm.

He said he doesn’t blame Hart for his current legal problems and described her as a “Jezebel,” but declined to elaborate.

In a phone interview Friday, Hart said she divorced Smith a decade ago, hasn’t spoken to him in years, and was shocked to learn of his arrest for Mammone’s slaying. “I found out like everyone else,” she said. “Something is clearly wrong with his mind.”

Hart, in a Dec. 14, 2022 petition filed in Los Angeles County Superior County seeking sole custody of her and Smith’s twin daughters, said she and the children fear for their safety.

Smith had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and bipolar disorder after he was detained by Long Beach police for destroying property and attacking a friend in a violent mental health episode on Dec. 19, 2020.

In a summary of the incident, Long Beach police said officers responded to the 6400 block of Atlantic Avenue regarding a report of a violent, mentally ill person. A man inside a residence told police he was involved in an altercation with an acquaintance who had caused property damage.

The Long Beach Fire Department transported the man to a hospital, where he was placed on a “5150 hold,” which allows an adult experiencing a mental health crisis to be involuntarily detained for 72 hours.

Smith, meanwhile, said he has found peace after 10 days in jail, placing at bay some of his demons typically exacerbated by heavy drinking, marijuana use and consorting with prostitutes.

He said he hopes to eventually meet with Mammone’s family. “I didn’t want to cause anyone pain,” he said.

https://www.pressenterprise.com/2023/02/10/suspect-confesses-in-jailhouse-interview-to-killing-of-beloved-doctor-in-dana-point/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Nothing more brutal than absolutely senseless, completely random and totally intentional murder.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: