Was there not a time when refs used to review everything under 2 mins?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Was there not a time when refs used to review everything under 2 mins?

Or am I tripping? When did that rule go away?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject:

They can’t review non calls
Even if we had a challenge, we can’t us it.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

Not asking about today’s rules
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there not a time when refs used to review everything under 2 mins?

BigBallerBrand wrote:

NFL
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Was there not a time when refs used to review everything under 2 mins?

markjay wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:

NFL

Yes, last two minutes and all scoring plays.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Link:When it went away
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject:

BigBallerBrand wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Not asking about today’s rules

They took it away last year, but I am saying even if that was in place, they can’t review it
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Link:When it went away

Yes I think I remember this..the issue the NBA had I believe it made games take too long.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Bron’s noncall ain’t even the whole story…

Refs had the cbags also double dipping at the line: LA 20 vs Boston 39

I understand home court , but damn…
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

That jump ball between AD and horford was so rigged that the ref throw up the ball from the Celtics side of the court, lol
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject:

The NBA challenge rule is absolutely USELESS as currently devised: if the challenger proves the ref's wrong once they lose the ability to prove them wrong a second time. WTH.
Make it make sense for god's sake. Make it like in other sports: you retain the ability to challenge if successful. That ensures that teams use their challenge count sensibly and game outcomes are more fair.
I've never understood why the NBA designed this stupid rule the way it is currently designed, idiots.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

You need to be careful with that argument. We're 6th in the league in FTAs and 5th in the league in FTAs against. For example, the margin in the Spurs game was 30-18 in our favor, and the margin in the Clippers game was 24-15 in our favor. This must mean that the officials were favoring us, right?

FTAs should be proportional to actual shooting fouls/fouls in the bonus, not split evenly between the teams. The problem here is that the officials choked on an actual shooting foul, not that the Celtics got more FTAs. I think the officials saw the foul but swallowed their whistles because of the pressure of the environment. If you don't have the guts to make that call, you shouldn't be an official in the NBA.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject:

Supposedly one of the refs is 32-2 (or something like that) when the C’s play. I know it’s not a concrete stat and I know I’m grasping at straws, but sorry I’m angry and not thinking straight. Plus Twitter is laughing at us and Lebron.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Supposedly one of the refs is 32-2 (or something like that) when the C’s play. I know it’s not a concrete stat and I know I’m grasping at straws, but sorry I’m angry and not thinking straight. Plus Twitter is laughing at us and Lebron.

I looked it up (Celtics' record/Lakers' record):

Lewis 49-28/37-32
Goble 15-10/10-12
Nagy 7-5/6-5

There isn't anything out of line there, if you consider the Celtics and Lakers' records over the last few years. However, it's interesting that 2 of the 3 officials were relatively inexperienced. Nagy has 132 career games, while Goble has 327.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject:

The league should review everything in the last 2 minutes of a game (at the behest of either coach). If the majority of the refs decide to take a look, they can review it. It will obviously slow down the game (already slow at the end of a game anyways), but its a win if it ensures they get it right.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
The league should review everything in the last 2 minutes of a game (at the behest of either coach). If the majority of the refs decide to take a look, they can review it. It will obviously slow down the game (already slow at the end of a game anyways), but its a win if it ensures they get it right.

The NBA has tried stuff like this in the past. The problem is it really did slow games down and frustrated both players and fans. I don't know that there is a simple solution. Refs are always going to get some things wrong. There is no way to review every single play without making the games and watchable. You just have to find a system that strikes the best balance.
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject:

When you have seen in your lifetime Leon freak*** Powe going 13 times to the line in a Finals game,everything else seems so normal
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

The NBA has tried stuff like this in the past. The problem is it really did slow games down and frustrated both players and fans. I don't know that there is a simple solution. Refs are always going to get some things wrong. There is no way to review every single play without making the games and watchable. You just have to find a system that strikes the best balance.

Yep. The end of basketball games -- both pro and college -- can be painful. The challenge system can be improved, or referee-initiated review can be implemented. But it needs to be kept to a minimum. Maybe it could be expanded in the playoffs. I'm sure some of this stuff will be considered over time.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

You need to be careful with that argument. We're 6th in the league in FTAs and 5th in the league in FTAs against. For example, the margin in the Spurs game was 30-18 in our favor, and the margin in the Clippers game was 24-15 in our favor. This must mean that the officials were favoring us, right?

FTAs should be proportional to actual shooting fouls/fouls in the bonus, not split evenly between the teams. The problem here is that the officials choked on an actual shooting foul, not that the Celtics got more FTAs. I think the officials saw the foul but swallowed their whistles because of the pressure of the environment. If you don't have the guts to make that call, you shouldn't be an official in the NBA.

Obviously I’m not going to put it all on the refs for our current standings, but we talking about a single game FT discrepancy of about 20 attempts. I mean there’s a 10 attempt difference between us being 4th overall to 8th overall. There’s roughly a 40 attempt difference between us and 13th place Indy for example.

https://go.nba.com/j1yqy

So a single game 20 attempt discrepancy is noteworthy imho.

But the biggest injustice is having the leading allstar vote getter taking the 3rd most attempts from less than 5ft from the cup….

https://go.nba.com/eshfz

…and still not drawing the whistle at a rate comparable to his contemporaries.

https://go.nba.com/vqrln

That man is working and isn’t afforded any charity. He’s got a legit reason to suspect foul play.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Obviously I’m not going to put it all on the refs for our current standings, but we talking about a single game FT discrepancy of about 20 attempts. I mean there’s a 10 attempt difference between us being 4th overall to 8th overall. There’s roughly a 40 attempt difference between us and 13th place Indy for example.

https://go.nba.com/j1yqy

So a single game 20 attempt discrepancy is noteworthy imho.

Maybe. 20 is a large disparity, but not all that uncommon. I don't know of a way to track single-game disparities, but I know that I see disparities this large multiple times in a season. Anyway, when you start looking at aggregate numbers, things are going to average out. If you go back and look at our FTAs on a game by game basis, you'll see that the number of FTAs bounces all over the place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: