What's with the microphones on Bill and Stu?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: What's with the microphones on Bill and Stu?

I'm curious if others have noticed the lack of volume on the mikes of Bill and Stu during the telecasts on Spectrum SN. They are often drowned out by the crowd noise. I don't mind the crowd noise, but even when I turn my volume up, I sometimes can't quite hear what they're saying. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I have noticed this since preseason. Audio is incredibly subpar, especially for a product of this magnitude. The overall production hasn't been nearly as tight as well. Cutbacks to production staff?
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I noticed that too! I thought it was just me. Especially Billy Mac... it's like the sound mix is really off. it's too bassy and distracting.

the whole production is so sub par! Billy Mac is brutal.

Even the background music for the highlight packages suck! Dated old electric guitar riff... over and over and over again.

It all needs to be updated. And Billy Mac, sounds like a nice guy. But he's gotta go. Even Ireland, or Trudel would be better full time.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Charter is probably not making up in subscription and ad $ what they paid for the Lakers exclusive rights. Purely a guess on my part, but likely leading to the low quality production these days.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. Alas I hear BillyMac and his various ramblings just fine lol
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:24 am    Post subject:

I get this stuff on LP, and it sounds fine. I find it interesting that some of you have issues with MacDonald. I sort of feel sorry for him because he's paired with Lantz, the anti-analyst. MacDonald winds up doing both the play-by-play and the color commentary, while Lantz drops in gems like "You won't score many points if you don't make your shots."
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject:

You're not missing anything. Billy is still saying the same terrible lines:
"Yes sir!"
"Mid-range magic"
"Long shot, long rebound"

levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
You're not missing anything. Billy is still saying the same terrible lines:
"Yes sir!"
"Mid-range magic"
"Long shot, long rebound"

Don't forget "throw that baby down" and "here he comes into the attacking zone" (??)
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject:

If there is a way to mute Stu’s mic, help me out
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I get this stuff on LP, and it sounds fine. I find it interesting that some of you have issues with MacDonald. I sort of feel sorry for him because he's paired with Lantz, the anti-analyst. MacDonald winds up doing both the play-by-play and the color commentary, while Lantz drops in gems like "You won't score many points if you don't make your shots."

My primary issue is BillyMac yells too much for me. I could get over the fact that he tends to ramble off topic but there are some broadcasts I mute just because he yells absolutely nonstop for both teams . It's crazy! I don't understand how that guy still has vocal cords he yells absolutely all the time all game every game.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I often wonder if Billy Mac truly is that excited by these games; at times, I genuinely think he is, which is cool, but obviously annoying as heck as a fan to hear him just yelling/sounding likehe's jumping out of his seat for what feels like every third play or so.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

My primary issue is BillyMac yells too much for me. I could get over the fact that he tends to ramble off topic but there are some broadcasts I mute just because he yells absolutely nonstop for both teams . It's crazy! I don't understand how that guy still has vocal cords he yells absolutely all the time all game every game.

I've never noticed him yelling. I'll listen with this comment in mind. Anyway, he strikes me as a competent play-by-play guy. He has a lot of -isms, like all play-by-play guys. I guess that could wear on you over time.

It's Lantz who gets me. Every now and then, he says something insightful, and it startles me. I wonder whether some production assistant passed him a note or something. He does seem like a very nice, affable guy. I guess he is sort of a legacy guy with the Lakers.
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject:

This duo is still the best in the business. Ask other fans who they think are the most impartial announce team, the Lakers duo are up there.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject:

Too much hate for Billy and Stu here. I'll accept it for Billy but not for my man Stu.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

My wife can never tell who’s winning because he’s excitedly yelling no matter how the game is going. I am torn about him at times. On one hand, his knowledge of the game and his ability to tell what is happening are both way below what you’d expect for one of the most popular team in sports.

But when a foul is called and the players all stop and the player with the ball strolls in and dunks it, I can’t help but crack up when Billy is like “WHHHHHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAA!!!! Oh wait, basket doesn’t count, basket doesn’t count”.
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject:

I'm glad there are others who have noticed the bad sound on the announcers. I disagree with those who dislike Bill and Stu, as I find their play by play and analysis excellent, and better than any I hear on ESPN or TNT. I go way, way back, to the early days of the L.A. Lakers, and of course listened to the great Chick Hearn for several decades.

I think they're both sharp and entertaining, and tell it like it is.
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
I have noticed this since preseason. Audio is incredibly subpar, especially for a product of this magnitude. The overall production hasn't been nearly as tight as well. Cutbacks to production staff?

Thank you. I am getting up there, but I can hear all other sports announcers fine. I do like that they bring in a lot of crowd noise, but just turn the mikes up, and all is well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: