Dodgers 2023 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Quote:
Jack Ramsey
@jackwramsey

On MLB Network this morning, Jon Morosi said he believes there is an equal chance for both the Mets and Twins to land Carlos Correa.

Schrodinger's Shortstop.

I'm going to guess this reference goes over everyone's heads. Some kind of math equation?

Thought experiment in quantum physics: Schrodinger's Cat. The thought experiment was meant to illustrate quantum superposition (more precisely that it DOESN'T extrapolate from the quantum world to the macro world, but in popular use it has lost this distinction). In this model, the cat is in both states -- alive and dead -- at the same time.

The reason I brought it up is because the tweet you quotes incorrectly -- and somewhat humorously (to me) said that there was an equal chance for BOTH teams to sign Correa -- not that there was an equal chance for EITHER team to sign him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Quote:
Jack Ramsey
@jackwramsey

On MLB Network this morning, Jon Morosi said he believes there is an equal chance for both the Mets and Twins to land Carlos Correa.

Schrodinger's Shortstop.

I'm going to guess this reference goes over everyone's heads. Some kind of math equation?

Thought experiment in quantum physics: Schrodinger's Cat. The thought experiment was meant to illustrate quantum superposition (more precisely that it DOESN'T extrapolate from the quantum world to the macro world, but in popular use it has lost this distinction). In this model, the cat is in both states -- alive and dead -- at the same time.

The reason I brought it up is because the tweet you quotes incorrectly -- and somewhat humorously (to me) said that there was an equal chance for BOTH teams to sign Correa -- not that there was an equal chance for EITHER team to sign him.

Gotcha.

Thx Larry.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

Sources tell The Post: Mets were willing to fully guarantee 6 years (at $157.5M) but the final 6 would have been only conditionally guaranteed. So Correa will make $42.5M more in first 6 with Twins. Mets and Correa couldn’t get past the language issue. Story to come at @nypost

Wow, Mets really tried to screw over Correa

Quote:
DanHayesMLB
@DanHayesMLB

Once medicals are finalized, & Twins are said to be comfortable w/ what they've already seen, the first $200m of Carlos Correa's contract is guaranteed.

The final 4 years have vesting amounts at 575, 550, 525 & 502 ABs.
But even if it didn't vest, the Twins have team options.

Quote:
Bob Nightengale
@BNightengale

Carlos Correa is undergoing his physical now with the Minnesota #Twins.

Quote:
New York Porch Sports
@nyporchsport

Kumar Rocker blasts Mets and Steve Cohen on MLB Network:

“This is what crooks do. His word shouldn’t hold any value. What they did to me, they did to Carlos Correa too. I’m glad to be in an actual winning organization like the Rangers. DeGrom agrees too.”
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Guy lost like $150 million guaranteed even if this deal goes through. That's gotta sting.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

Sources: The major part of Correa’s physical is complete — including the ankle at issue — so there’s nothing foreseen to stop Correa’s return to the Twins
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Guy lost like $150 million guaranteed even if this deal goes through. That's gotta sting.

Yeah he lost guaranteed money, but he'd presumably still be young enough where he's not necessarily out of the league once the guaranteed 6 years of the contract ends. So there's always a chance he recoups at least a portion of that. There's still all of the vesting years/team options, to boot.

Dude still got $200M over 6 years so he should be fine. Hopefully he didn't go to the Latrell Sprewell school of financial management this past season in Minnesota.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Yeah he lost guaranteed money, but he'd presumably still be young enough where he's not necessarily out of the league once the guaranteed 6 years of the contract ends. So there's always a chance he recoups at least a portion of that. There's still all of the vesting years/team options, to boot.

Dude still got $200M over 6 years so he should be fine. Hopefully he didn't go to the Latrell Sprewell school of financial management this past season in Minnesota.

Yeah the vesting and team options will take away his free agent chances.

If he’s playing well by that time, the Twins will keep him and prevent him from reaching free agency at the rate of 4 yrs for $70M.

If they allow him to reach free agency after 6 years, something went wrong and he won’t be worth much.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

If he’s playing well by that time, the Twins will keep him and prevent him from reaching free agency at the rate of 4 yrs for $70M.

If they allow him to reach free agency after 6 years, something went wrong and he won’t be worth much.

I thought it was the back issues that teams would be wary of, and it turns out it's the ankle, even though he hasn't had an IL-related stint relating to his ankle as a big leaguer, I don't think.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I thought it was the back issues that teams would be wary of, and it turns out it's the ankle, even though he hasn't had an IL-related stint relating to his ankle as a big leaguer, I don't think.

Yeah, it's confusing. In the same report, they say ankle injury, but then the concern is on the fibula which should be the leg:

Quote:
“While Correa missed time early in his MLB career with a back injury, multiple league sources said the Giants had concerns about an ankle injury he suffered while in the minor leagues,” writes Pavlovic.

“In 2014, when he was a 19-year-old prospect with the Houston Astros, Correa injured his leg on a slide into third base in a High-A game. The Astros later announced that he underwent surgery on a fractured right fibula and a ligament.”

Quote:
Correa, when playing on the Houston Astros’ minor league team Lancaster JetHawks, ended his 2014 season prematurely when he fractured his right fibula sliding for a base. The injury meant Correa needed surgery on his fibula and ligament

There's also this right plate in his leg:

Quote:
The 28-year-old needed a plate installed in his knee and while he reportedly had not thought about the issue, the Giants did. The franchise were concerned over the long-term stability of his leg given Correa could rapidly lose some of the mobility that helped him rise to stardom.

I don't know if this plate mentioned in another article is the same plate mentioned above in his knee:

Quote:
The issue at hand, evidently, was an old ankle injury from 2014 that had required insertion of a metal plate in his lower leg.

Then there was this steal attempt in September 2022:

Quote:
Sure enough, when Correa did attempt one single steal during 2022 season, in mid-September, he jarred his ankle. The shortstop looked visibly scared as he quickly collapsed on the ground and grabbed for his leg. He later admitted as much, telling reporters, "He just hit my plate. … Just kind of felt numb, vibrating. So I was just waiting for it to calm down. It was a little scary, but when I moved I knew I was good."

So I'm not sure if it's the ankle, the fibula, the ligament, or the plate, and I don't know if he has a plate in his ankle, in his knee, or both.

I guess the fibula is a part of the ankle.

Quote:
Ankle Fracture

Three bones make up the ankle joint:

Tibia – shinbone
Fibula - smaller bone of the lower leg
Talus - a small bone that sits between the heel bone (calcaneus) and the tibia and fibula
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Carlos Correa passes physical with Twins, sources say

Quote:
eff Passan
@JeffPassan

Carlos Correa to the Twins is done. Physical passed. Deal official.
6:56 AM · Jan 11, 2023
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject:

Didn't know this, but we drafted Kershaw and Goldschmidt in the same draft. We drafted him in the 49th round, so the chances of him signing were probably really slim unless we offered him a good signing bonus. He ended up going to college and got drafted 3 yrs later by Arizona in the 8th rd for a $95k signing bonus:

Quote:
The 2006 draft could have been one for the ages, with Clayton Kershaw going with the 7th overall pick and then L.A. taking another Texas high-schooler in the 49th round, this time a first baseman named Paul Goldschmidt. Unfortunately, Goldy didn’t sign.

Quote:
Lightly recruited out of The Woodlands High School in The Woodlands, Texas, Goldschmidt played for the Texas State Bobcats, and was selected by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the eighth round of the 2009 MLB draft.

Quote:
The D-backs are not immune from this, of course. They skipped Goldschmidt even more times - twelve - before eventually picking him. In typically low-key fashion, Paul wasn’t even paying attention when they did: “I wasn’t listening to the Draft on the internet, but the Diamondbacks called and said they might take me.

My parents were listening, they heard it, so it was pretty cool, I was excited, obviously. In terms of the bonus [he signed for the princely sum of $95,000], I put as much as I could in the bank... I ended up buying an engagement ring for my wife -- that’s probably the biggest purchase.” Here are the players they chose over Paul, along with their overall spot in the draft.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Carlos Correa passes physical with Twins, sources say

Quote:
eff Passan
@JeffPassan

Carlos Correa to the Twins is done. Physical passed. Deal official.
6:56 AM · Jan 11, 2023

He finally found a home. Good for him. LOL.

I feel like the Mets really screwed him over by offering him the initial deal. If it wasn't for the Mets then Correa might of renegotiated with the Giants and the offer might have been better than the Twins offer. Just a thought.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Baseball America ranks best tools in Dodgers system:

Best Hitter for Average: Miguel Vargas

Best Power Hitter: Andy Pages

Best Strike-Zone Discipline: Michael Busch

Fastest Baserunner: Jake Vogel

Best Athlete: James Outman

Best Fastball: Nick Frasso

Best Curveball: Maddux Bruns

Best Slider: Carlos Duran

Best Changeup: Ryan Pepiot

Best Control: Gavin Stone

Best Defensive Catcher: Diego Cartaya

Best Defensive Infielder: Jacob Amaya

Best Infield Arm: Logan Wagner

Best Defensive Outfielder: Jonny DeLuca

Best Outfield Arm
: Andy Pages

Quote:
Baseball America ranks Dodgers' top 10:

1) Cartaya
2) Bobby Miller
3) Miguel Vargas
4) Michael Busch
5) Ryan Pepiot

6) Gavin Stone
7) Andy Pages
8) Dalton Rushing
9) Nick Nastrini
10) James Outman.

Quote:
And this was mlb.com's rankings as of the end of last year:

1) Cartaya
2) Bobby Miller
3) Miguel Vargas
4) Michael Busch
5) Andy Pages

6) Ryan Pepiot
7) Gavin Stone
8) Jose Ramos
9) Dalton Rushing
10) Eddys Leonard

11) Landon Knack
12) Nick Nastrini
13) James Outman
14) Maddux Bruns
15) Jacob Amaya

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Marlins on the verge of trading Miguel Rojas to the Los Angeles Dodgers per sources. The player the Marlins will receive in return is infielder Jacob Amaya. Per sources.

MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Marlins on the verge of trading Miguel Rojas to the Los Angeles Dodgers per sources. The player the Marlins will receive in return is infielder Jacob Amaya. Per sources.

Not so sure about this move, trading one weak hitting SS for another who's much, much older.

Betts, RF
Freeman, 1B
Smith, C
Muncy, 3B
Martinez, DH
Lux, 2B
Vargas/Taylor, LF
Thompson/Outman, CF
Rojas, SS
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject:

I gotta think Miami is paying his full salary.

If not, Rojas counts $5M on the CBT and takes us over $233M.

Can’t believe we’re willing to go over for Rojas

Quote:
Mike DiGiovanna
@MikeDiGiovanna

There is no money exchanging hands in #Dodgers acquisition of #Marlins INF Miguel Rojas. LA, according to source, was actually over the #233-million CBT threshold before the deal, so Rojas' $5-million salary for 2023 will push them over the cap even more.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I gotta think Miami is paying his full salary.

If not, Rojas counts $5M on the CBT and takes us over $233M.

Can’t believe we’re willing to go over for Rojas

Quote:
Mike DiGiovanna
@MikeDiGiovanna

There is no money exchanging hands in #Dodgers acquisition of #Marlins INF Miguel Rojas. LA, according to source, was actually over the #233-million CBT threshold before the deal, so Rojas' $5-million salary for 2023 will push them over the cap even more.

I don't understand this at all. There has to be another move coming. If we basically sat out free agency only to go over the CBT anyway, I will not be very happy.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject:

He's an elite glove, but you have to think there's another move coming.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: All AAA parks to use electronic strike zone in '23

The electronic strike zone will be used in all 30 Class AAA parks in 2023, sources told ESPN, seemingly another significant step toward the implementation of the technology at the big-league level in the near future.

The Automatic Balls and Strikes system, commonly referred to as ABS, will be deployed in two different ways. Half of the Class AAA games will be played with all of the calls determined by an electronic strike zone, and the other half played with an ABS challenge system similar to that used in professional tennis.

Each team will be allowed three challenges per game, with teams retaining challenges in cases when they are proven correct. MLB's intention is to use the data and feedback from both systems, over the full slate of games, to inform future choices.

As of now, MLB has no firm date to implement its Automatic Balls and Strikes system in the big leagues. But in recent seasons, the robotic umpire has been used increasingly in the minor leagues.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:51 am    Post subject:

^
Good. This is just a matter of time for MLB.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Pirates Seeking 'Soto-Like' Deal For Bryan Reynolds

Opposing teams have balked at the Pittsburgh Pirates' asking price for Bryan Reynolds in trade talks, according to a report.

Reynolds, 27, requested a trade more than a month ago.

A rival executive told Jon Heyman the Pirates are looking for a return package comparable to what the Washington Nationals received from the San Diego Padres for Juan Soto at the 2022 trade deadline.

Quote:
Sources: Andrew McCutchen returning to Pirates on 1-year deal

In 2017, the Pirates shifted McCutchen out of center field, as the up-and-coming Starling Marte began to establish himself in the big leagues, and with McCutchen nearing free agency, the Pirates swapped him to the Giants for outfielder Bryan Reynolds, reliever Kyle Crick and international bonus dollars.

Wow, didn't know that they traded him for Bryan Reynolds and now they're asking for a Soto like deal for Reynolds. Great trade for them.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodgers avoid arbitration with Walker Buehler, Will Smith and others

The Dodgers agreed to terms with two of their most notable arbitration-eligible players on Friday morning, securing deals with Walker Buehler and Will Smith in order to avoid arbitration hearings with both, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

The team has also agreed to a deal with Trayce Thompson and Dustin May, and still has six other arbitration-eligible players remaining — including Julio Urías, Evan Phillips, Tony Gonsolin, Brusdar Graterol, Yency Almonte and Caleb Ferguson.

According to people with knowledge of the situation, Buehler and the Dodgers settled at $8.025 million, Smith settled with the team for $5.25 million and Thompson settled at $1.45 million.

May settled at $1.675 million, according to his agent Craig Rose of Paragon Sports.

Of the Dodgers’ remaining six arbitration-eligible players, Urías is expected to earn the biggest 2023 salary, as he is entering his final season of arbitration before becoming a free agent.

The deals came before Friday’s deadline for clubs and arbitration-eligible players to exchange figures for the next season.

Any player who doesn’t come to an agreement with their team by Friday could head to an arbitration hearing next month to determine their 2023 salary, though deals to avoid such hearings can still be struck before then.

Since 2007, the Dodgers have only had arbitration hearings with two players.

Quote:
Dodgers settle with 9 of 10 players at arb deadline

The Dodgers have yet to reach an agreement with right-hander Tony Gonsolin. Gonsolin, 28, is in his first year of arbitration eligibility due to Super Two status. The deadline to exchange salary figures was at 10 a.m. PT on Friday, but Gonsolin and the Dodgers can still come to an agreement. However, if one is not reached, both parties must submit a salary figure ahead of a hearing that will be scheduled for sometime between Jan. 30-Feb. 17. In the meantime, Gonsolin and the Dodgers can continue to negotiate and potentially agree to a deal before the hearing.

Los Angeles managed to avoid arbitration hearings with all of its eligible players last year.

Here are the projections vs. what they got:

Quote:

Walker Buehler...............($8.1M) - ($8.025M)
Will Smith......................($5.2M) - ($5.25M)
Dustin May.....................($1.4M) - ($1.675M)
Trayce Thompson...........($1.7M) - ($1.45M)

Julio Urias........................($13.7M) - ($14.25M)
Caleb Ferguson.................($1.1M) - ($1.1M)
Yency Almonte..................($1M) - ($1.5M)
Brusdar Graterol................($1.2M) - ($1.225)
Evan Phillips......................($1.4M) - ($1.3M)

Total............................($34.8M) - ($35.775M) = ($0.975M over)

Tony Gonsolin...................($3.5M)

Looks like May and Thompson switched places. May got more than his projection and Thompson got less. Urias got more, which was expected but looks like Almonte did really well compared to all the others making around $1M. How the heck did Almonte make more than Phillips? Head scratcher. Phillips needs to fire his agent, that's horrible.

So far with these 9 settlements, we've come in around $1M over. This adds to our CBT projections. Still haven't settled with Gonsolin yet.

Yeah, if we end up going over the CBT, then the decision to keep Buehler ($8.025M) was a major decision. Hopefully, it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass. But if it does, it's a costly decision to be 3x repeat luxury tax offenders. The penalties are huge if we're trying to sign Ohtani next year.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Pirates Seeking 'Soto-Like' Deal For Bryan Reynolds

Opposing teams have balked at the Pittsburgh Pirates' asking price for Bryan Reynolds in trade talks, according to a report.

Reynolds, 27, requested a trade more than a month ago.

A rival executive told Jon Heyman the Pirates are looking for a return package comparable to what the Washington Nationals received from the San Diego Padres for Juan Soto at the 2022 trade deadline.

Quote:
Sources: Andrew McCutchen returning to Pirates on 1-year deal

In 2017, the Pirates shifted McCutchen out of center field, as the up-and-coming Starling Marte began to establish himself in the big leagues, and with McCutchen nearing free agency, the Pirates swapped him to the Giants for outfielder Bryan Reynolds, reliever Kyle Crick and international bonus dollars.

Wow, didn't know that they traded him for Bryan Reynolds and now they're asking for a Soto like deal for Reynolds. Great trade for them.

Good luck with that, Pirates! Let some other team overpay. I've seen stuff floated that the Dodgers should give up Bobby Miller and one of our other top prospects for him. I wouldn't trade Miller straight up for Reynolds. Now, if it were headlined by Busch and perhaps another pitching prospect, I could get behind that, depending on who was involved. The thing with Busch is that if we aren't going to give him a chance to start this year, then we need to deal him now while he's still considered a top prospect. He's already 25. You can't hold guys in the minors for too long or they lose value as trade chips.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Gonsolin was our only arb-eligible player that didn't reach an agreement. That said, they aren't too far apart, so you'd think they could still agree on a number before a hearing. Gonsolin filed at $3.4MM, with the Dodgers filing at $3MM.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Padres give Salas, 16, $5.6M in international signing period

The San Diego Padres signed 16-year-old catcher Ethan Salas of Caracas, Venezuela, to a $5.6 million bonus on Sunday, the first day of the international signing period.

Salas is the consensus top overall prospect in this year's class. The left-handed hitter is the younger brother of Jose Salas, one of the top prospects in the Miami Marlins system.

The Salas brothers have a long family history in baseball. Their father, Jose Antonio, played in the Atlanta Braves organization; their uncle, Jose Gregorio, played in the Toronto Blue Jays system; and their grandfather, Jose Gregorio, played in the Houston Astros and Kansas City Royals organizations.

According to scouting reports, Ethan Salas has raw power at the plate and strong defensive skills.

Quote:
Also Sunday, the Washington Nationals signed outfielder Elian Soto, the 17-year-old brother of Padres right fielder Juan Soto.

Elian Soto, a left-handed hitter who verbally agreed to join the Nationals last year, isn't considered a premium international prospect but is still young enough to develop into one. Amateur players and their trainers in the Dominican Republic often make handshake agreements with teams long before they're old enough to officially sign a contract, allowing them to intermittently train at the team's facility and preventing them from showcasing themselves to evaluators from other organizations.

Quote:
The Texas Rangers signed outfielder Pablo Guerrero, the son of Hall of Famer Vladimir Guerrero Sr. and younger brother of Vladimir Guerrero Jr. of the Toronto Blue Jays.

- Wonder who we've signed

- Venezuela is like a factory for mlb catching prospects

- How did SD get $5.6M to spend on one prospect? What's their international bonus pool allotment?

Here we go:

Quote:
Here are the bonus pools for the 2023 international signing period, according to MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez:

$6,366,900:
Athletics,
Brewers,
Mariners,
Marlins,
Rays,
Reds,
Tigers,
Twins

$5,825,500:
Diamondbacks,
Guardians,
Orioles,
Padres,
Pirates,
Rockies.
Royals

$5,284,000:
Astros,
Blue Jays,
Braves,
Cardinals,
Cubs,
Giants,
Mets,
Nationals,
White Sox,
Yankees

$4,644,000:
Angels,
Phillies,
Red Sox

$4,144,000:
Dodgers,
Rangers

Yeah, being over the CBT really hurts us in the draft and international pool money allotment.

Quote:
Because the Dodgers surpassed the luxury tax threshold and signed Freddie Freeman last year, they had to forfeit $1 million of their available funds.

Quote:
The Dodgers reportedly signed Joendry Vargas, a 17-year-old shortstop out of the Dominican Republic who is ranked as the No. 3 overall prospect in the class by MLB Pipeline. Scouting reports say Vargas has five-tool potential, and despite his 6-3 frame, he can handle the position well, even if his future might be at the hot corner.

L.A. is also expected to sign Arnaldo Lantigua, a 17-year-old center fielder out of the Dominican Republic, who is ranked as the 24th overall international prospect by MLB Pipeline. Lantigua has plus-power and the potential to stay in center field long term, but his bat is his true calling card.

It would be an impressive class for the Dodgers if they officially agree to terms with both of those players, especially considering their lack of bonus pool funds. Along with those two, they are likely to replenish their farm with roughly 50 international signings.

Quote:
Dodgers sign Joendry Vargas, Arnaldo Lantigua to open international signing period

The top prospect signed by the Dodgers on Sunday is Vargas, who we mentioned in our preview of the international signing period earlier this week. Vargas signed for $2.08 million, just over half the Dodgers’ total bonus pool, per Antonio Puesán.

The Dominican shortstop was ranked the No. 3 international prospect by MLB Pipeline and rated 16th overall by Baseball America.

Lantigua is a 6’3 power-hitting outfielder from Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, the same birthplace as former Dodgers José González and Tony Abreu. MLB Pipeline ranked the righty-batting, righty-throwing Lantigua as the No. 23 international prospect.

Lantigua signed for a $700,000 bonus, per Puesán.

Quote:
Arnaldo Lantigua is a 6’3, 180 lbs outfielder from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, and Pipeline has him ranked 23rd in their top 50. Lantigua physically advanced for a 16-year-old.

Lantigua is reportedly posting 100+ mph exit velos in both batting practice and games, which is incredibly impressive for a 16-year-old

Looks like we still have some money left to sign some more players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 4 of 314
Jump to: