LeBron James Tops ClutchPoints NBA's All-Time Villain List

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: LeBron James Tops ClutchPoints NBA's All-Time Villain List

Quote:
1.LeBron James
There’s never been a player that everyone wants to see fail more than LeBron James. Ever since getting hyped in high school as the next big thing, James has carried all the pressure in the world to succeed in the NBA. From his move to South Beach and to proclaiming that he’s the best player in the world, James has played the villain role for the most part of his career.

In fact, even after winning four NBA championships with three different teams, James has yet to silence his critics who are still too busy pitting him against Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant in terms of championship rings.

Quote:
6. Chris Paul
Despite his elite playmaking, CP3 has yet to win a championship. His postseason woes have been the hot topic among his haters. He failed to lead the Hornets to the chip. Afterwards, Lob City and his Suns failed to get the job done.

CP3 will have to embrace the villain role even more, especially after Kanye West publicly accused the Suns guard of having an affair with his ex-wife Kim Kardashian.

7. Metta World Peace
When it comes to antics on the court, Metta World Peace had a lot in his bag. He was one of the key figures that ignited Malice at the Palace, the biggest brawl in NBA history. For the benefit of the doubt, he was still called Ron Artest at that time.

After the name change, however, he still remained the same. Peace continued to smack guys like Jeremy Lin and who can forget that devastating elbow to James Harden.

8. Reggie Miller
Before Trae Young, there was Reggie Miller. Miller was often regarded as public enemy number one whenever the Pacers had road games, especially against the Knicks. Miller played the role of heartbreaker on several occasions including Game One of the 1995 Eastern Conference Semis. The Pacers guard scored eight points in eight seconds and pissed off Spike Lee in a career-defining moment.

If anything Miller was surely one of the biggest NBA villains.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/ranking-the-10-biggest-nba-villains-of-all-time/ar-AA15ziEA?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=86ecccf0860e4e4e8c9a9f3122b8ae9c
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject:

That's a pretty lame piece of work. 7 of the top 10 villains of all time are current players with Lebron, Durant, and Irving topping the list? That's pretty lazy. Bill Laimbeer isn't on the list? He might be the GOAT villain. Where's Bruce Bowen? Meanwhile, Trae Young is on the list? Oh, yeah. Everyone hates Trae Young.
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Kobe was hated for a long time… where was he
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That's a pretty lame piece of work. 7 of the top 10 villains of all time are current players with Lebron, Durant, and Irving topping the list? That's pretty lazy. Bill Laimbeer isn't on the list? He might be the GOAT villain. Where's Bruce Bowen? Meanwhile, Trae Young is on the list? Oh, yeah. Everyone hates Trae Young.

Yeah. I think this list was compiled by someone who doesn't know much about the NBA prior to 2010 or so.

Bill Laimbeer is probably #1. What about Latrell Sprewell, Kermit Washington, Rasheed Wallace, Jim Loscutoff, Rick Mahorn. I wouldn't be surprised if the person who wrote this article has no idea who some of those guys are.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is easily the most hated athlete I’ve seen. I’ve had friends and family who don’t even watch basketball, celebrate whenever he lost. The amount of coverage Lebron got over the decision at the time was insane. That’s all the sports world talked about.

Obviously the hate has died down alot, but that Heatles era was something else. I’m guilty of the hate, when they lost in 2011, I’ve never been so happy for a finals outcome…even more than any title I’ve seen the lakers win lol
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Lebron is easily the most hated athlete I’ve seen. I’ve had friends and family who don’t even watch basketball, celebrate whenever he lost. The amount of coverage Lebron got over the decision at the time was insane. That’s all the sports world talked about.

Obviously the hate has died down alot, but that Heatles era was something else. I’m guilty of the hate, when they lost in 2011, I’ve never been so happy for a finals outcome…even more than any title I’ve seen the lakers win lol

Sure, he's a divisive figure that is well-known, he's arrogant, he plays for the Lakers, and he's had a lot of succcess.

There was an online poll of most hated athletes and the "winners" were:

1. Lebron
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Tiger Woods
4. Kyle Busch
5. Kobe
6. Kurt Busch
7. Peyton Manning
8. Michael Vick
9. Lance Armstrong
10. Bryce Harper

Some of those names are understandable, but it's still a wacky list.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:

Maybe by casual fans. Definitely not by the mainstream sports media. They've had LeBron on a pedestal since day 1 and only turned on him for about a year after The Decision and losing to the Mavs in 2011. As soon as he won in 2012 they went right back to riding his jock. And besides 2011 LeBron is NEVER blamed for his teams failures, but gets 200% of the credit when they win. The media always has a convenient scapegoat. Sure, there's always going to be a Skip Bayless or Rob Parker here and there but to me it still pales in comparison to the amount of hate Kobe got by the sports media throughout his career (Bill Simmons, Nick Wright, Jason Whitlock, Henry Abbot, John Hollinger, T.J. Simmers, etc.) Even the LA Times writers sharpened their knives for Kobe. Hell, Phil Jackson even used Charley Rosen as his mouthpiece in order to slander and passive-aggressively criticize ("coach") Kobe through the media.

It's weird to say now because Kobe rehabilitated his image towards the latter part of his career and into retirement as this motivational basketball televangelist/guru and of course has been sanctified in his tragic death, like society tends to do. It was pretty disgusting (and comical) seeing guys like Nick Wright and Whitlock do a complete 180 on Kobe right after his death. I guess sometimes it takes a tragedy for people to finally give you your flowers.

I predict the LeBron "hate" will also wither as he declines and eventually retires just like it did with Kobe.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

1. Lebron
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Tiger Woods
4. Kyle Busch
5. Kobe
6. Kurt Busch
7. Peyton Manning
8. Michael Vick
9. Lance Armstrong
10. Bryce Harper

A lot of people resent winners. This fades over time. I would bet that if they ran that poll in the 1990s, MJ would have been high on the list. Ditto for Magic and Bird in the 1980s. Actually, the most surprising thing about this list is that it doesn't include Tom Brady.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

1. Lebron
2. Floyd Mayweather
3. Tiger Woods
4. Kyle Busch
5. Kobe
6. Kurt Busch
7. Peyton Manning
8. Michael Vick
9. Lance Armstrong
10. Bryce Harper

A lot of people resent winners. This fades over time. I would bet that if they ran that poll in the 1990s, MJ would have been high on the list. Ditto for Magic and Bird in the 1980s. Actually, the most surprising thing about this list is that it doesn't include Tom Brady.

I don't think anyone resented MJ, and outside of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry, I'm guessing no one resented Magic or Bird.

Tom Brady was resented mostly because he played for a Boston-area sports team. If he had played for the 49ers (his hometown team), he probably wouldn't have been as resented.

Winners aren't resented just because they're winners. It takes something else, like their personality, playing for the Lakers or personal scandals.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I don't think anyone resented MJ, and outside of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry, I'm guessing no one resented Magic or Bird.

Oh, no. There were a lot of fans of other teams who resented all three of those players, especially MJ.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject:

Danny Ainge was a special kind of ahole, as was Rodman, and Bowen was looking to hurt people. Laimbeer and to a lesser theatrical degree guys like Ruland and Oakley and Mahorn put a hurting on you night in and night out and told you about it. Bird was one of the biggest trash talkers of all time (her actually tell the guy guarding him what the play was and then (bleep) talk him after scoring anyway)and was widely hated long before Reggie Miller copied his antics. Iverson was kind of like Kobe in that aloof do it my way eff you thing. Kobe relished being the bad guy. If you like older school Jerry Sloan was a major SOB who gets credit for teaching it to Stockton and Malone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject:

Jordan probably the biggest villain though, because he was so good and because he was so coddled and protected and catered to, and he was such a major league arrogant prick.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Dwight and Rondo feel like they're at least honorable mentions here, the Dwight definitely turned a corner in the end.

Locally, I'm guessing a few folks have Smush on their list
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Oh, no. There were a lot of fans of other teams who resented all three of those players, especially MJ.

Omar Little wrote:
Jordan probably the biggest villain though, because he was so good and because he was so coddled and protected and catered to, and he was such a major league arrogant prick.

I was a little kid when Jordan had his second three-peat, and I don't remember him being a villain at all. All I remember was that at least half of the people at my school were bandwagon Jordan/Bulls fans, even in Santa Monica of all places.

Jordan and that Bulls team probably had the biggest group of nuthugging bandwagon fans of any sports team or superstar ever.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject:

Is the list only for "talented"villains? If not, where's Beverly, Grayson Allen?
A villain-list without Laimbeer, Karl Malone and Ainge can't be taken seriously.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: