Why was Pelinka extended?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Btw, Bron can't be traded till this coming offseason and at that time he will have no power to block a trade. We wouldn't need his consent to ship him out.

But first things first....#FOh

I thought next year his one-plus-one extension kicks in.
He can’t be traded the first year without his permission.
If he opts in the second year, he can be traded at that point.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Bron isn’t going anywhere. He doesn’t want to, and Jeanie probably doesn’t want him to. Rob may, but he’s trumped.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Btw, Bron can't be traded till this coming offseason and at that time he will have no power to block a trade. We wouldn't need his consent to ship him out.

That would be correct if he went the Harden route aka opt out of final year to sign a new 1+1 deal. All Bron had to do was let this year run as is and as a free agent next summer, sign a 1+1 with us to get a true no-trade clause worked within the deal like Beal did with his last summer. Bron was eligible to get a NTC worked into any new deal he signed with us.

But Bron went the extension route instead and since it was the max, he was only granted a 6 month no-trade window. That window expires past this year's trade deadline, so he essentially can't be traded this season....but next season, Bron better watch out, cause we might be washing the throne...(imho, I doubt that happens and he ends up retiring a Laker)

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
activeverb wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

That would be correct if he went the Harden route aka opt out of final year to sign a new 1+1 deal. All Bron had to do was let this year run as is and as a free agent next summer, sign a 1+1 with us to get a true no-trade clause worked within the deal like Beal did with his.

But Bron went the extension route instead and since it was the max, he was only granted a 6 month no-trade window. That window expires past this year's trade deadline, so he essentially can't be traded this season....but next season, Bron better watch out, cause we might be washing the throne...(imho, I doubt that happens and he ends up retiring a Laker)

Got it.

I don't see him being traded myself.

Too many moving parts.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie’s explintion about why she gave Rob the extension through 2025-26:

Quote:
“I’m glad that you brought up Rob Pelinka because he signed an extension at the end of last season, because I wanted to make sure that he and the coach were on the same page — so before going on this search for a new coach, it wouldn’t be the coach wondering if the general manager was all in because his deal would be coming up. Just to really create a collaboration between front office and coach, which is what I advocate for because of my relationship with Phil Jackson. I know what an NBA coach goes through and how it feels like you’re put on the plank to stand out there alone. And I wanted to make sure that the new coach that we hired knew that there would be this support, that there would be this long-term opportunity to build success, and that it wouldn’t be about who’s on the hot seat next.”

Darvin just played a 5 guard lineup because he doesn’t have NBA sized forwards or Centers to play. I’m not sure they’re on the same page.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Jeanie’s explintion about why she gave Rob the extension through 2025-26:

Quote:
“I’m glad that you brought up Rob Pelinka because he signed an extension at the end of last season, because I wanted to make sure that he and the coach were on the same page — so before going on this search for a new coach, it wouldn’t be the coach wondering if the general manager was all in because his deal would be coming up. Just to really create a collaboration between front office and coach, which is what I advocate for because of my relationship with Phil Jackson. I know what an NBA coach goes through and how it feels like you’re put on the plank to stand out there alone. And I wanted to make sure that the new coach that we hired knew that there would be this support, that there would be this long-term opportunity to build success, and that it wouldn’t be about who’s on the hot seat next.”

Darvin just played a 5 guard lineup because he doesn’t have NBA sized forwards or Centers to play. I’m not sure they’re on the same page.

Also don't forget they hired Ham cause he has had success in developing young players.

Then we proceed to trade away a 21y/o and a 26 y/o for a 34y/o "wing".

We also value developing our youth so much that we refuse to trade our picks that are 5 and 7 years out, well after Ham's current contract expires. Hmmm, quite a development...

#aliegnment
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject:

The lakers downfall began when we traded for AD period. We were bidding against ourselves since AD and his camp made it clear he wouldn’t sign with anywhere but LA and moron Pelinka still managed to overpay for AD. The bubble championship was not worth trading away Ingram and all of those picks. AD is such a porcelain doll we went all in on a guy who is not all in on putting in the work to be elite
Lakers fans need to seriously stop financially supporting this trash product that Jeannie has put out and Jeannie should basically be persona non grata in LA. She should be ridiculed at every opportunity publicly until her fragile ass decides to sell
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The lakers downfall began when we traded for AD period. We were bidding against ourselves since AD and his camp made it clear he wouldn’t sign with anywhere but LA and moron Pelinka still managed to overpay for AD.

I don't see how we can say this. We won a title that first year, and even if you look at the rest of the assets we had at the time.

2020 FRP (Could have drafted Desmond Bane)
2021 FRP (Could have drafted Herbert Jones/Isiah Jackson).
Kuzma (currently averaging 21.8 ppg as a starting 4
KCP (currently shooting 46.8% from 3 point) and has good RPM
Caruso (the Lakers best perimeter defender on 1 or 2 guards)
MLE (2020)
Javale McGee (starting C who fit the defensive system)

We easily could have continued to develop some young talent in the draft and also used the MLE, MMLE well enough to add talent. We eventually would have found players on bargains like Reaves and Walker.

Easily this year's team could be
Bigs: McGee, Davis, Jackson (2021 draft)
Big Wings: Lebron, Kuz,
Smaller Wings: KCP, Bane, Reaves, Walker (6'5 dudes)
Development projects: THT, Christie (also wings)

That's a loaded team with size to compensate for AD injuries (Kuz can step in big time in that role) and you have enough 3nD wings and defenders across the board around Lebron.

The only issue with this set up is that there's an over reliance on Lebron as a PG creator, something they had solved with Rondo in playoff mode, but would have issues with. But as Frank Vogel said when he got hired, Lebron is always the PG of his teams anyway, especially in playoff situations. Offense starts with him having the ball. The PG isn't as important, just like how we would win with guys like Fish/Sasha/Farmar at PG with Kobe at SG. The star has the ball.

What I believe is while the team we had maybe was only good for 1 run, at least the team would be a playoff staple in the Lebron era. You make a wise trade (unlike what we did) and maybe you can get fortunate and make a 2nd run. But you'd be in the picture and a playoff staple with guys like KCP, Kuz, Caruso, depth, size etc. We got rid of all out of that to try and make a Westbrook project work. The issue is even after the Lakers won a title, Pelinka thought 6'1 midgets like Dennis were the solution to Lebron's remaining years. Whie Dennis was an upgrade on paper, he wasn't in reality. It cost a pick, and it cost the Lakers their smartest highest IQ best perimeter defender in Green, who had all the winning intangibles (not to mention team chemistry).

I know there's word he wouldn't have done the deal without Lebron/AD blessing. But, that's still on him. He's the guy who is seeing the lockerroom and the floor game. The role players made the system and AD/Bron work. If you upgrade role players that's one thing. To make such a drastic systematic and cultural change like bringing in WB for all those guys, well that's when you kill yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
The lakers downfall began when we traded for AD period. We were bidding against ourselves since AD and his camp made it clear he wouldn’t sign with anywhere but LA and moron Pelinka still managed to overpay for AD.

I don't see how we can say this. We won a title that first year, and even if you look at the rest of the assets we had at the time.

2020 FRP (Could have drafted Desmond Bane)
2021 FRP (Could have drafted Herbert Jones/Isiah Jackson).
Kuzma (currently averaging 21.8 ppg as a starting 4
KCP (currently shooting 46.8% from 3 point) and has good RPM
Caruso (the Lakers best perimeter defender on 1 or 2 guards)
MLE (2020)
Javale McGee (starting C who fit the defensive system)

We easily could have continued to develop some young talent in the draft and also used the MLE, MMLE well enough to add talent. We eventually would have found players on bargains like Reaves and Walker.

Easily this year's team could be
Bigs: McGee, Davis, Jackson (2021 draft)
Big Wings: Lebron, Kuz,
Smaller Wings: KCP, Bane, Reaves, Walker (6'5 dudes)
Development projects: THT, Christie (also wings)

That's a loaded team with size to compensate for AD injuries (Kuz can step in big time in that role) and you have enough 3nD wings and defenders across the board around Lebron.

The only issue with this set up is that there's an over reliance on Lebron as a PG creator, something they had solved with Rondo in playoff mode, but would have issues with. But as Frank Vogel said when he got hired, Lebron is always the PG of his teams anyway, especially in playoff situations. Offense starts with him having the ball. The PG isn't as important, just like how we would win with guys like Fish/Sasha/Farmar at PG with Kobe at SG. The star has the ball.

What I believe is while the team we had maybe was only good for 1 run, at least the team would be a playoff staple in the Lebron era. You make a wise trade (unlike what we did) and maybe you can get fortunate and make a 2nd run. But you'd be in the picture and a playoff staple with guys like KCP, Kuz, Caruso, depth, size etc. We got rid of all out of that to try and make a Westbrook project work. The issue is even after the Lakers won a title, Pelinka though 6'1 midgets like Dennis were the solution to Lebron's remaining years.

We won a title in the bubble. Look at the heat without bubble.

All of this “ we could have drafted…” is silly. That will always be the case other than a few magical years.

Pelinka did what most GM in most leagues do. He listened to his 2 stars and got Russ. He probably doesn’t snag Russ if it’s only AD or only bron. But both guys begged/demanded we get him. That’s where it all started.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

Lebron wanted Ty Lue. Did he get him?

Why did Pelinka trade (size) in the backcourt that won you a titlle for a midget that would get exposed in the playoffs on mismatches and unable to shoot 3s (DannyFRP for Dennis)? Was that Lebron too? Pelinka wanted a starting star caliber PG from day 1. I don't think Pelinka valued the wing size, 3 point shooting and intangibles players like Danny Green/KCP brought. He didn't value the way the team played enough. The Lakers needed upgrades from Danny Green as he was getting old, but they needed to mantain their size advantage in the process. Even to this day, he's signing so many smalls and PGs. It's ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Why did Pelinka trade (size) in the backcourt that won you a titlle for a midget that would get exposed in the playoffs on mismatches and unable to shoot 3s (DannyFRP for Dennis)? Was that Lebron too? Pelinka wanted a starting star caliber PG from day 1. I don't think Pelinka valued the wing size, 3 point shooting and intangibles players like Danny Green/KCP brought. He didn't value the way the team played enough. The Lakers needed upgrades from Danny Green as he was getting old, but they needed to mantain their size advantage in the process. Even to this day, he's signing so many smalls and PGs. It's ridiculous.

Here's some more ammo for you Wolf:
Lebron wanted Zubac swapped for Muscala? Lopez let go for nothing? Randle let go for nothing? Howard/McGee let go for Trez/Marc? And when Lebron realized how badly the Trez/Marc move was back-firing thank god he got Pelinka to sign Drummond.
Oh and everyone knows Lebron hates handing out 3-year contracts to unprove/undrafted rooks so he insisted Pelinka sign Caruso/Reaves/Christie to 2 year deals, bravo.
Also I'e heard that Lebron insisted on 2 FRP's being included in the Westbrook trade but thankfully Pelinka managed to negotiate down to just 1; those complex swap-timing and FRP-preserving skills he gained in the grueling AD negotiations really paid off for him in the Westbrook deal, clearly the man has gone from good to great DESPITE the constant Lebron/AD headwinds/back-stabbing. /s
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

lakid wrote:

That overpay did set the tone for a Pelinka administration
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Who said he wanted ty lue? Who said ty really wanted the lakers job?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakid wrote:

i don't think we overpaid for AD, and even if we did, it wasn't by much. these time machine/alternative universe discussions are stupid. that's like Portland discussing what would've happened if they took MJ and KD instead of Bowie and Oden. there is no going back.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

and more importantly, what could Lue do with a bad roster like ours? given the resources the clippers had, i'd take their job too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakid wrote:

i don't think we overpaid for AD, and even if we did, it wasn't by much. these time machine/alternative universe discussions are stupid. that's like Portland discussing what would've happened if they took MJ and KD instead of Bowie and Oden. there is no going back.

No Time Machine involved, some called it an overpay at the time. No other team was in the bidding and Davis had made it known that he only wanted to be a Laker. But Pelinka kept offering more and more. Magic’s offers were worse but Pelinka has continued in giving up assets that likely wasn’t necessary. Now we are at the point of having a bare cupboard.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject:

It is never an overpayment if you wi ring. It’s lack of awareness why we are here. We could have won bubble and at least be competitive. We made two gambles. One was right one set us back.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakid wrote:

We certainly paid top dollar for AD. I haven't seen anything about Rob that suggests to me he is a good trade negotiator. So it's possible a better GM could have gotten AD for less.

That said, Rob was put in a situation where he was pressured to make a deal asap, while the Pelicans could lean back and say, "Not enough." It's easy to say, "We were bidding against ourselves," but it's possible Rob was put in a no-win situation where he had to bid against himself because the Lakers weren't willing to walk away from the deal and the Pelicans were.

Magic had set up a tough framework for a deal, and the sting of losing out on Paul George because we thought we could wait and get him as a free agent was still on the Laker's collective mind. And coming off six straight years of sucking and a 37-45 season with the kids, the Lakers weren't in a patient, let-them-develop mood.

So it's hard to say if Rob could have gotten AD for less under those conditions. However, I'd say he did pay full sticker price.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

In interviews, Lue said he was interested in the job, but he declined it because the Lakers wouldn't meet the contract terms he wanted and they wanted to dictate who would be on his staff.

The issue seems to be contract length rather than money. Lue wanted $7 million a year for 5 years, while the Lakers offered $6 million a year for three years. He went to the Clippers who met his terms.

There were later reports in the Athletic that the Lakers only negotiated with Lue to make Lebron happy, but they were really only going through the motions and presented Lue with terms that they knew he would turn down.

Vogel accepted the terms that Lue would not.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

In interviews, Lue said he was interested in the job, but he declined it because the Lakers wouldn't meet the contract terms he wanted and they wanted to dictate who would be on his staff.

The issue seems to be contract length rather than money. Lue wanted $7 million a year for 5 years, while the Lakers offered $6 million a year for three years. He went to the Clippers who met his terms.

There were later reports in the Athletic that the Lakers only negotiated with Lue to make Lebron happy, but they were really only going through the motions and presented Lue with terms that they knew he would turn down.

So we don’t know. Frank was a great choice. If lue was asking for that much after coming off his last season then that tells me he needed a lot of convincing to come here. Plus we don’t know if bron wanted him. Speculation is great, but no one knows. If rob is going to bow to klutch then I have to believe in brons second year here he gets his coach.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

So we don’t know. Frank was a great choice. If lue was asking for that much after coming off his last season then that tells me he needed a lot of convincing to come here. Plus we don’t know if bron wanted him. Speculation is great, but no one knows. If rob is going to bow to klutch then I have to believe in brons second year here he gets his coach.

I get it: You choose to believe your own speculation that "in bron's second year here he gets his coach" but reporting that doesn't fit your narrative is "speculation" that can be dismissed because "no one knows."

Predictable.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Halflife wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Halflife wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I get it: You choose to believe your own speculation that "in bron's second year here he gets his coach" but reporting that doesn't fit your narrative is "speculation" that can be dismissed because "no one knows."

Predictable.

No one does know.

What we do know

Lakers thought enough of bron to extend him for 100m

They blew up a deal for heild to get him his guy

So in his second year, after giving the farm away for AD, the FO is going to say “nah, you can’t have your coach, who is an ex-laker”

We can swim in the narratives that it’s always someone else’s fault but if Lue wanted 7m (allegedly) after a dismal coaching stint post bron, then IMHO he didn’t want to be here.

It’s funny you call it my narrative, isn’t the flip side your narrative?
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject:

I believe the Lakers are run like the dodgers and in this case, Pelinka is just the guy that makes the deals they want. The problem is the FO doesn't have a clue and if Rambis and Jackson are contributing, we know they don't know (Jackson messed up the Knicks). Need a real GM that knows what they are doing. Pelinka extended maybe the dumbest thing ever.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
t if Lue wanted 7m (allegedly) after a dismal coaching stint post bron, then IMHO he didn’t want to be here.

As I noted before, the issue was more about commitment and authority than money.

Lue wanted $7 million a year, the Lakers offered $6 million. If that was only issue, they could have worked the yearly salary out.

The sticking points were the Lakers were only willing to give him 3 years and wanted to pick his staff. Those were dealbreakers.

So he went to the Clippers, who gave him control and 5 years/$35 million.

Last edited by activeverb on Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject:

From Phil getting woken up at midnight to find out that LA pivoted to give MDA the coaching gig instead, to having Lue celebrate with a “Happy Birthday Coach” Laker cake thinking he was the one, till he wasn’t…the Lakers stay on brand in the way they deal out these coaching deals.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/5/6/18534426/lakers-rumors-tyronn-lue-birthday-cake-head-coach-contract-negotiations-lebron-james-las-vegas
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: