Why was Pelinka extended?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jeanie's public explanation for the extension was so that Pelinka and Ham's contracts would run the same amount of time, allowing them to be in alignment about decisions.

There was a lot of criticism about the extension, with people saying it demonstrated the Lakers inability to evaluate Pelinka's job performance. Some said it simply reflected Jeanie's preference to keep things "in the family," based on Pelinka's connection to Kobe as his former agent.

Pelinka really tricked Jeanie with the alignment BS. The Queen’s hand is very sneaky. This guy is holding two positions in the front office. I guess he told Jeanie. Give me both titles, and save some money.

Last edited by zambia on Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject:

On the one hand, a golf clap for Rob/Jeanie having AC Green levels of abstinence to not panic trade and get fleeced.

On the other hand, a pox on the house for literally doing nothing and watching this go down in flames.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
On the one hand, a golf clap for Rob/Jeanie having AC Green levels of abstinence to not panic trade and get fleeced.

On the other hand, a pox on the house for literally doing nothing and watching this go down in flames.

Don't really think there was a trade to make. All speculation
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure. But ultimately buck stops with someone, good trades or not. They were able to magically get a Russ trade done 2 summers ago.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Can't blame Pelinka for the state of the team if he's not there absorbing all the criticism.

Bron's a billionaire... Jeanie's percentage is worth 100s of millions

Paying a chump 5 million a year to take the blame is a good value from what I can see.

And it's clearly working from most of your reactions.

What does LBJ's wealth have to do with anything?

Last time I checked, the two primary architects of the team are Jeanie/Rob. If you think that they have done everything in their power the past 2 seasons to empower the team, then I've got some swampland to sell you.

Three things in life are certain.

Death, taxes, and Yinoma protecting Bron from any blame.

Comforting in some perverse way, I suppose.

Who said I'm protecting LBJ from any blame?

You are sidestepping the fact that Jeanie/Rob extended LBJ (they could have said no). Executed the Russ trade (with Jeanie reaching out to the Wiz owner).

I'll blame players for on-court stuff. But for the franchise vision, roster construction, etc., that's on Rob/Jeanie.

@BIL, simple questions fam… Does Bron care about Jeanie paying taxes? Does Bron want ALL the help?

If Bron was adamant about the Russ trade, was he so cool with it that he also okayed AC, Schro, Wes & Kieff (aka all our bird players) all walking away for nothing.

Here’s a quote from Bron in his second stint with the Cavs after Griff traded for his boy Korver, since Bron needs ALL the lasers on his teams too.

Quote:
LeBron James said the Cavs aren't done making moves after the likely acquisition of Kyle Korver and declared again that the team needs another point guard.

"We still got a couple more things we need to do," James said Friday, when asked if Cleveland's pending trade with Atlanta for Korver was a "championship move."

"We gotta get a point guard," James said. "It's my last time saying it. We need a point guard."

"It's like when you don't have bodies. It's tough," James said. "The f---ing grind of the regular season. We're a top-heavy team. We have a top-heavy team. We top-heavy as s---. It's me, [Kyrie Irving], [Kevin Love]. It's top-heavy."

"We need a f---ing playmaker," James said. "I'm not saying you can just go find one, like you can go outside and see trees. I didn't say that."

"They've got bodies," James said of San Antonio when asked about the Spurs' beating the Cavs without Pau Gasol or Tony Parker. "They've got bodies. For the most part, all championship-contending teams has got guys that are ready to step in. Knock on wood, what if Ky goes down? For two weeks. Let's say two. What if I went down for three weeks?"

"I don't know what we got to offer," James said. "I just know me, personally, I don't got no time to waste. I'll be 33 [next] winter, and I ain't got time to waste. That's what I'm talking about."

…And that was more than 5 years ago. Dude is a week out from turning 38. Now more than ever, he ain’t about trying to limit spending to duck a tax…cause if the roster ain’t getting taxed, his 38 year old ass will.

And so saving money for Jeanie/ownership, helps him how? It’s not like he can get even more of a bag of Jeanie saves money. The CBA along with his age (see over-38 rule) cap his max and he continuously gets his max through the extensions we keep giving him, so why would he be interested in shedding salary once he got Russ thru the door?

It’s not like he was saving tgat cash for the coach he wanted. Remember how that went? Yet dude has all the power, right?
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject:

A few things stand out to me, that make me very upset with them.

1. They promised Lebron they'd do everything in their power to put a contending team around him during his time here... Got him to extend his contract. And then basically, did nothing? One sideways trade of THT/Johnson for Beverley. That was it.

2. When Jeanie was asked about improving the roster this summer, around that same time, she said they were not done. Basically, promising the fans roster improvements. Where are they?

3. After failing to make any moves heading into the season, it got pushed back to 15-20 games into the season. Then to December 15th. Now we're hearing they aren't pursuing a Westbrook trade, and may not make any trades at all.

Fans aren't idiots, well I'm sure some are. But many fans realized this summer that Jeanie's primary goal was to stay out of the repeater tax. But at the same time, if they don't make any trade they only have $30m in cap space. And only Lebron, AD, Christie, and Jones under contract. It's quite likely that Reaves gets Carusoed, and Walker gets Monked. Then they head into next season with like Lebron, AD, Christie, Jones, and some second tier star, once again surrounded by minimums but with older stars. There's very little benefit in punting this season. And there isn't a snowball's chance in hell her father makes that same decision. Right or wrong, he would have made a move long ago.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sure. But ultimately buck stops with someone, good trades or not. They were able to magically get a Russ trade done 2 summers ago.

High 5 to Jeanie for not wanting to pay crazy tax?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

1. They promised Lebron they'd do everything in their power to put a contending team around him during his time here... Got him to extend his contract. And then basically, did nothing? One sideways trade of THT/Johnson for Beverley. That was it.

2. When Jeanie was asked about improving the roster this summer, around that same time, she said they were not done. Basically, promising the fans roster improvements. Where are they?

3. After failing to make any moves heading into the season, it got pushed back to 15-20 games into the season. Then to December 15th. Now we're hearing they aren't pursuing a Westbrook trade, and may not make any trades at all.

Fans aren't idiots, well I'm sure some are. But many fans realized this summer that Jeanie's primary goal was to stay out of the repeater tax. But at the same time, if they don't make any trade they only have $30m in cap space. And only Lebron, AD, Christie, and Jones under contract. It's quite likely that Reaves gets Carusoed, and Walker gets Monked. Then they head into next season with like Lebron, AD, Christie, Jones, and some second tier star, once again surrounded by minimums but with older stars. There's very little benefit in punting this season. And there isn't a snowball's chance in hell her father makes that same decision. Right or wrong, he would have made a move long ago.

People are deluding themselves if they think there was ever an engraved-in-stone promise to make a trade.

The Lakers always couched things in "if it makes sense." And how could they not?

And the reality is we as fans have no idea what trades were/are even possible.

None of that excuses Rob/Jeanie from the many poor decisions they've made. However, if the only trades they found were bad ones, not making a trade is a good move.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

As a fan we are supposed to care about them paying a tax?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Jeanie gets the glory for the 2020 championship.

She also needs to get the blame for how you go from a championship to where we are. You are at the helm of this, and then she extends Rob after one of the worst Lakers season (and then keeps it secret b/c she knew the backlash it would receive).

Blaming your SUPERSTAR for everything is lame. Nothing gets done without Rob/Jeanie's approval.

Completely agree. That title obviously means more to you than me but as the person in charge Jeanie should get credit. As well as credit for all of the lottery trips.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

I'm upset with them because they made a series of bad decisions that left us with a flawed, inadequate roster. I'm not upset that they didn't compound their prior errors by making panic trades.

I understand your frustration that their actions have not matched their words this year. I'm not trying to minimize that. However, I hold out hope that they are learning. Ever since Jeanie hired Magic, the governing assumption seemed to be that Big Players just drop into our laps. Winning the title in the bubble just reinforced this. I like to think that Jeanie and Pelinka have finally figured out that this running a team thing actually requires hard work. You can't just expect Lebron and Rich Paul to provide a stream of superstars. More to your point, you can't just say "We're going to make Big Moves" and expect those moves to materialize. On the contrary, when you make those sorts of promises, you're an easy mark for every other GM in the league.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

I think that a big reason that 1 and 2 hasn’t happened is because we have crap as trade assets. The FO has so poorly managed our assets the past 4-5 seasons that they have eroded to two picks 5 and 7 years away. I never expected a Westbrook trade because ending contracts have less value now than before and we would have had to eat some ugly long term salary coming back. As you said, that triggers the repeat tax. I still think that we make a minor trade around Nunn and/or Beverley with an underperforming player coming back that we hope we can rehab, but that’s it.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

As a fan we are supposed to care about them paying a tax?

Luxury Tax = Big tax write off.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Because in Lakerland, Pelinka is just a poor victim being taken advantage of by Lebron and big bad Klutch. Jeanie could fill the front office with all of her friends and face little public criticism because of the Klutch shield.

Last edited by Lakeshow23_ on Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that a big reason that 1 and 2 hasn’t happened is because we have crap as trade assets. The FO has so poorly managed our assets the past 4-5 seasons that they have eroded to two picks 5 and 7 years away.

That's certainly a part of it. But they knew their situation this summer. We all did.

They headed into the season with three expiring contracts and two picks to work with. And not much else. When they made those statements, it can then be inferred that they were going to move those picks to improve the team, as that's all they really had available.

My problem with them is that I don't think they really had any intention of doing that, unless something unexpected happened and an all-star landed in their laps. And in those scenarios is Russ + 2 distant picks going to be better than another team's offer? Not likely, especially given when they made those statements his value as a player was at an all-time low.

So I feel like they were well aware of their situation. It wasn't a good spot to be in. But their approach to handling it has been to simply ignore it until it explodes in their faces. The absentee landlord approach.

Blow up the team or improve it. They are trying to tread water in the eye of a hurricane.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
None of that excuses Rob/Jeanie from the many poor decisions they've made. However, if the only trades they found were bad ones, not making a trade is a good move.

Imo if they had made the Turner/Hield trade before the season began, they are probably 17-14 or 18-13 right now and a #6 seed. The league is wide open this season. The Lakers blew a lot of close games. AD going down would be softened by Turner. They wouldn't be the worst shooting team in the league.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Imo if they had made the Turner/Hield trade before the season began, they are probably 17-14 or 18-13 right now and a #6 seed. The league is wide open this season. The Lakers blew a lot of close games. AD going down would be softened by Turner. They wouldn't be the worst shooting team in the league.

We've talked the Turner/Hield trade to death elsewhere. I respect the opinions of those of you who think that trade would have been a good idea. I don't agree with you, though. Also, I don't agree that the league is wide open, but that's another subject for another day.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Obviously, we'll never know if your guess is right or wrong. I can understand the position of the people who are for and against the Hield/Turner trade.

If it turns out AD's injury is significant and season long, I'll be happy we didn't do that deal.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Obviously, we'll never know if your guess is right or wrong. I can understand the position of the people who are for and against the Hield/Turner trade.

If it turns out AD's injury is significant and season long, I'll be happy we didn't do that deal.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject:

The owner doesn't have a clue.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Yall are worried about LeBron in year 20 not having the ideal roster when he played a hand in every decision for the last 4 years.. at least major ones. He should assume some accountability.

That said, I don't think he knew Rob would be this bad at his job.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Brown nose yes man who won’t snitch on Jeanie
TylersLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Because he’s Kobe Bryant’s friend.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject:

For threads like this
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject:

AD and Lebron are getting the Pau and Kobe (2013-2014) treatment. Once Kobe got his injury, you could see a huge pause in what they were going to do. They didn't move Pau and he was basically in a position to not succeed. Pau went on and became an all-star again in Chicago. We kept a lameduck coach (at tha time) in D'Antoni, who really had no idea what to do with Pau/Kobe (or that Pau/Kobe wanted to play for after that first year). They went and got Byron (Kobe's coach) to see out Kobe's career and Kobe respected Byron. It was an end of an era in the works. They basically had already given up on Kobe/Pau by 2013 due to Kobe's achilles, and Pau's decline.

The main difference I see is that Pau and Kobe never returned to close to form they had from 2008-2011 as Lakers. AD and Lebron, they have had a very strong season so far, AD has been a top 10 player and Lebron has emerged again as at least a top 20 player who has the best bball IQ in league history outside of Magic (unlike Kobe, Lebron is effective as a full time PG in a secondary scoring role where he facilitates late in his career). We don't have draft picks to cash in on at the end of the year like we had with old Pau/Kobe (Randle 2014). We will lose our pick and lost last year's pick in the lottery. So by doing nothing since the Westbrook trade disaster to correct the move, we've lost the pick last year at a premium price and will lose possibly an even higher pick this year. These are premium prices to pay. The cost of doing nothing isn't just keeping your 2027/29 picks, it's also giving up picks that could be in the 18-21 range for top 10 lottery picks.

Basically, Pelinka is neither making a move to help AD/Lebron get into the playoffs now, nor is he trading them to get future assets in place. The cost of not making moves, is sure you keep your future picks, but you also lose your current ones at a costly price (lottery picks). One can argue that by doing nothing, he's doing less harm that he theoretically could do. However that's based on a principle that he already sucks at his job and any move he would make would be horrible.

I was not for the Hield/Turner for WB/2 picks trade, I do think it would have put us at least in a 6th-7th seed. Probably higher, until AD goes down. If AD's out for a long time, having that kind of talent around Lebron keeps you competitive. Worst case, you're not losing a lottery pick in the top 7-8 in a strong draft. Again, I wasn't for the trade based on what was rumored we were giving up, but Turner is 26 and Hield is 29. These are players you could have signed to 3-4 year deals and with Reaves, built a decent 5 man core that would have been a playoff staple. Not a ring team, but at least a team that can consistently stay in that .600 range and be a factor in the playoffs.

I don't miss Jimchak. but at least they married themselves to a re-build through the draft and sucked at free agency. The Pelinka/Jeanie era, is married to FA and wasting away draft picks. Only they haven't really won in FA. Outside of 2018 Lebron, there's been a lot of misses, and the far bigger reason than Lebron they won a title was using many of the trade/draft assets of the old regime to trade for AD (plus future assets). Don't kid yourselves, their position on WB may look as if they are valuing draft picks, but they really aren't, as the premium is being paid by the draft pick they give up in keeping WB. By keeping AD, Bron and WB, we're not re-building, so any talk that we're committed to draft picks is baloney IMO.

Ideally we'd get a balance of what Jimcak were doing with some stronger FA capability. That's what LA Laker fans deserve from an elite franchise in an elite market. We should look to hire an executive who can make the FA agent connections like Pelinka has, with some good GM transanctions work like Mitch showed. There's no doubt Jeanie should move on from Pelinka this coming summer but she won't as she's put forth a 4 year deal for Ham/Pelinka and by firing Pelinka now, it makes her look very incompetent for the 4 year deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: