Is Ham Being Forced To Play Westbrook? Or Is He Just An Idiot?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Is Ham Being Forced To Play Westbrook? Or Is He Just An Idiot?

Another game of Westbrook starting, and the 2nd straight game of Ham subbing in Westbrook to close the game despite him being a total liability…again. And cost the Lakers another game.

It’s the new coach and same (bleep) like last year. The one game where Ham actually dared to have Westbrook come off the bench in the preseason, he leaves the game with a “hamstring” after 5 minutes of action. Then magically is a starter again and suddenly his hamstring is “fine”.

It’s a shame because that was the day where I thought “ok finally, a coach actually acting like a coach. Doing what’s best for the team and see if Westbrook at this point in his career, could embrace leading the 2nd unit”. But nope…same (bleep). Gets to start, gets to have his minutes even when it inconveniences the team, and as a result, we lose.

Granted, Westbrook is not the only problem with this team. This much is already known and goes without saying. And obviously, Ham doesn’t have the best cards to work with. However, when you have a player you know is a total liability at this point in his career, and continue to use him the way he has been used this far, it comes down to two questions: Is this Ham being totally clueless? Or is he being forced to? Whether by the FO, Lebron, or other forces at work?

It’s the same reoccurring problem with these coaches we keep bringing in, and for some reason, not a single one of them can make a seemingly competent rotation scheme that makes a lick of sense.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject:

He is hell bent on trying to prove Westbrook experiment works instead of winning games
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject:

A better question is why Mr. Ham didn't double team Dame late in the game.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Its a simple solution..he needs to come off the bench. Also everytime he shoots a three he sits. Whats the problem..as the coach and friend Ham is going to have to break it to him because at this rate by next year he will be out of the leauge.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject:

You answered your own question. He doesn’t have much to work with because Dennis is out and Nunn has been so awful. If Nunn played like he did in the preseason instead of looking like he doesn’t belong in the NBA then we are likely 2-1 right now.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Nunn
Walker
TBjr
LBJ
AD

It’s hard to make a case for Nunn as bad as he’s looked the last two games…but when the coach preaches earning the starting spot and then starts Bev and Westbrook when Nunn looked with his play to be the best out of all 8 guards (Nunn, Walker, Bev, Westbrook, Reeves, Schroeder, Christie, ScottiePjr), it can sap your energy as a human. Still, Nunn has to succeed in-spite of being slighted instead of failing because of it. He wasn’t slighted long enough to sulk if that’s what is happening.

Patrick Beverly starting and playing major minutes is one of the major problems with this team and that’s on Bev and Ham. I was concerned that Ham was being too friendly as a coach going with name recognition with Bev and Westbrook instead of sticking with merit like he had been preaching. A coach can lose a locker room with that type of favoritism because everyone can see the hypocrisy.

Bev doesn’t have the defensive impact sufficient enough to make up for his offensive liability and not enough other contributions. To be useful as a starter, a player with Bev’s limited offense impact has to be like Draymond with rebounds and assists, or like Ben Simmons with the same…even someone like Rodman who got double digit rebounds sometimes in the high teams. Bev should be playing 15 or so minutes per game off the bench.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Nunn is utterly garbage
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I don’t care if he starts, but he can’t be in the finishing group. He can’t start and play bench minutes too, just don’t let him close
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject:

47 million is why russ is in the game lol 😂.

ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
A better question is why Mr. Ham didn't double team Dame late in the game.

Exactly!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject:

I remember when Lakers nation rejoiced after Ham put Russ to come off the bench in preseason game #6.

Then Russ had a "hamstring" issue and Ham folded like a cheap lawn chair.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject:

Rob knows there is no market so it will get to a point where fans are clamoring to take on long, dumb money just to move him. So next season there will be another rallying cry about the long, dumb money.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Rob knows there is no market so it will get to a point where fans are clamoring to take on long, dumb money just to move him. So next season there will be another rallying cry about the long, dumb money.

Long money like which player?

1 more year of Buddy? (would be a nice expiring deal that is actually moveable).

1 more year of Hayward? I actually like Hayward's game as he can shoot, pass, and isn't a total fraud on defense.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
I don’t care if he starts, but he can’t be in the finishing group. He can’t start and play bench minutes too, just don’t let him close

Why should he start though? Why are we shooting ourselves in the foot? If he was a rookie and you didn’t know his name would anyone even entertain starting him? Would he get any minutes?
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Why should he start though? Why are we shooting ourselves in the foot? If he was a rookie and you didn’t know his name would anyone even entertain starting him? Would he get any minutes?

Why should he play period? I have never heard of a 2 for 1 when your up one and it’s the end of the game. That’s something you do early in the game to risk screwing up in order for the chance to stack points. It’s not something you do when you’re up 1 and there is < 30s to go. It’s the dumbest (bleep) I’ve ever seen. If you look at the replay Bron faces his palms at the sky and so does AD while the other teams bench starts celebrating. Ham should fire himself for gross negligence.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject:

Neither seems like the right answer.

You let Russ start a few games, then you show him the numbers of why they suck. Then bring him off the bench. That way you show him the exact reason why that's happening since he has no self awareness or wisdom to understand it on his own.

Bring him off the bench from the start, and it's just more unnecessary crying. I know the easy answer for folks is to trade him, but just in case that doesn't happen, you gotta make decisions with the assumption that he's not being traded just in case.

Now if Ham keeps playing Russ after 5 games, then there's a big problem.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Long money like which player?

1 more year of Buddy? (would be a nice expiring deal that is actually moveable).

1 more year of Hayward? I actually like Hayward's game as he can shoot, pass, and isn't a total fraud on defense.
I am talking in general. Hayward is done but certainly a new body in place of russ, heild stinks. However I am all for replacing bad with bad. Why not.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject:

It's early and we have to remember he is a first time head coach.

However, I havent been pleased with some of the lineups hes been putting out there (including in preaseason). I understand he talks a very good game but I'm not convinced this isn't just lip service. Last game was 100% on him despite horrenoundos shooting again, despite a horrible assembly of players from the organization, despite an anemic offense, we still had the freaking lead in the 4th and Russ was out with ice on his knees. There was zero reason to play Russ. Zero.

I was at the game and you could hear the arena collectively frustrated when he took off his back brace, took off the knee wraps and walked to the table. Another thing on Russ. There was a particular play during the last minutes of the game where Lebron (I believe) asked for the ball back and Russ passed it, visibly threw his hands up in defeat and moped into the corner three. The section I was in lost it.

Back to HAM:
- He was asked how hed use Russ during interview (per reports) so either he lied or he really said hed make Russ a corner shooter?

- Lineups of Patrick and Russ are horrible. He leaves Patrick and Russ out there too damn long and given Patrick the green light? Patrick Beverly is out there thinking hes Curry. Horrible coaching.

- We could have used Ryan out there even as a threat.

- Russ faked an injury (Yes. He faked it) the moment Ham has him come off the bench and Ham is then neutered. So much for accountability. So much for not caring about feelings.

Russ is in full IDGAF mode. This is a horrible relationship which Jeanie is 100% responsible for. She should have never allowed Russ to suit up this season.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

Ham (soon to be Spam) might not have a choice. He was probably asked by his bosses to "make it work." He's in a terrible situation.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject:

Ham is a boob (sorry). He stuck his chest out saying he was bringing Brick off the bench, then cowardly changed his mind (I wish he did not say anything at all). I know some are down on Nunn, but this kid is a player. I see a mind F*** going on right now and Ham is going to take the rhythm and confidence away from this kid (similar to what Frank did with Gasol). Give this kid time and he will pay dividends. Don't surround him with all scrubs (I know it is hard) and give him a chance at success.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

I dont get why we just dont send him home.. What do we gain or Russ gain by playing him?

Its not helping us clearly; we have a plethora of other small guards who cant shoot worth a lick to take his spot

Its not helping us trade him; no team is trading for Russ for his basketball prowess

Its not helping Russ because teams see hes (bleep) awful and nobody in their right mind (besides Pelinka) would want him on their team; and he gets ridiculed every night

Its a lose lose lose situation for (bleep) everybody
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
ocho wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Why should he play period? I have never heard of a 2 for 1 when your up one and it’s the end of the game. That’s something you do early in the game to risk screwing up in order for the chance to stack points. It’s not something you do when you’re up 1 and there is < 30s to go. It’s the dumbest (bleep) I’ve ever seen. If you look at the replay Bron faces his palms at the sky and so does AD while the other teams bench starts celebrating. Ham should fire himself for gross negligence.

I just think if he were a rookie named Rüss Westbrookavich the idea of starting him would be ludicrous and he’d be competing to be a rotation player. We are bending over backwards to accommodate a player that isn’t giving us anything in return and in fact is actively hurting us. It’s time to stop banging our head against the wall.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject:

He's an idiot. Ham's job is to win games.

Even if he's being told to play Westbrick, then you ignore it. If you do (and you win), your job is safe. But if you play Russ and lose (which you will), then you will lose the job regardless.

At least you have a chance if you bench him.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

"Or he is just an idiot" I love it.

Of course he is an idiot.

Didn't play Ryan who is shooting 40% from 3 so far. Or start Nunn who is a PROVEN 16ppg on good efficiency and shooting.

What is Brick doing in a line up with Beverly?

Beverly can literally bring the ball up and pass it to Bron or Davis, theres no need for Brick. You could instead replace him with a better player.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Nunn is utterly garbage

Sure looks like it after games 2 and 3…but don’t think we should just look at that. At least Nunn is one of the few that has had a good shooting game from 3pt range this season. (Nunn 3-6 GSW, AD 2-4 Clips, Reeves 1-2 Portland)

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: